Home
Feature Article
The Seven Best Free Agents Available on Day One in Madden NFL 25

Free Agency in Madden NFL 25 isn't just about signing the players with the best overall rating. It's also about managing your salary cap, projecting the fit, and signing players that aren't aged out. Taking all of that into account, today we're going to take a look at the seven best free agents available to sign in Madden NFL 25. For the purpose of this piece we are going to use the default “out of the box” rosters, as everyone has access to them. 

Below you will find the player position, name, salary cap number (prior to negotiations) and total salary demands (prior to negotiations).

7. HB Beanie Wells – 77 OVR, $2.84M Cap hit, $10.14M Total salary – Looking for a somewhat young running back who comes at a reasonable price? Look no further than the former Ohio State standout Beanie Wells. The ninth fastest free agent running back, Wells, also brings impressive strength, awareness, trucking ability, ball carrier vision, the best stiff arm (98), a great carry rating, and top-10 stamina among free agent half backs. At 25 years old, I find Wells to be the best overall value at the running back position. 

6. TE Dallas Clark – 79 OVR, $1.09M Cap hit, $3.90M Total salary – Dallas Clark may be 34 years old, but he brings an impressive array of skills for a bargain price tag. The fourth fastest free agent and sixth most agile, Clark has the best awareness (86), best elusiveness, best ball carrier vision, is tied for the second best catch rating (84), is tied for third best in route running, and is tied for second best in spectacular catch rating. While blocking has never been his strongest asset, he also sports an impressive 95 stamina rating. He is the best value at TE despite his age.

5. MLB Takeo Spikes – 80 OVR, $2.50M Cap hit, $9.00M Total salary – Easily the oldest player on this list at 36 years old, Spikes may not give you more than one season, but if you find yourself in need of a plug-in at MLB, then he's a fine option. Rated the second best overall MLB behind Bart Scott, Spikes brings a cheaper price tag and nearly identical ratings at speed, strength, agility, and acceleration, and offers a 95 awareness rating to Scott's 90. 

Fourth best among free agent MLB in tackling rating, Spikes also brings top five block shedding and pursuit ratings. His play recognition is rated a 93, tied for best with Scott. The choice is between Scott and Spikes, and I prefer Spikes and his comparable ratings at less money. After Scott and Spikes, the next best at the position are Brandon Siler and Paris Lenon, a significant step down in skill in Madden NFL 25.

4. ROLB Nick Barnett – 84 OVR, $3.91M Cap hit, $13.80M Total salary – Nick Barnett is 32 years old and is the most expensive OLB in free agency. There is a reason for that, he's clearly the best OLB in free agency. One could make an argument for deceased ROLB Thomas Howard as well, but I felt after looking at every rating and factor that Barnett won out. Barnett has top five speed, is tied for second best in strength, has second best agility, top five acceleration, has the best awareness at 85, the best tackling rating at 88, second best hit power, best rated block shedding, third best pursuit, best play recognition, and is the best man cover OLB and third best zone cover OLB. He also has a ridiculous 98 stamina rating which means he won't be coming off the field much, if ever. 

3. RG Brandon Moore – 88 OVR, $4.52M Cap hit, $15.93M Total salary – There is only one elite option at the Guard position in the free agent pool in my opinion, and that is Brandon Moore. He's easily the priciest player among all guards and he's 33 years old, but Moore brings elite level skills at nearly every key rating for an offensive lineman. Best overall with a 90 strength rating, Moore also boasts best overall awareness at 86, best pass block rating at 87, and he's an ideal road grader at 91 run blocking as well. Moore ranks in the top 3 at every sub rating such as run block strength and pass block footwork as well. For my money Brandon Moore is THE elite option at RG and the Guard position in general and my 3rd best free agent overall.

2. DT Sione Pouha – 85 OVR, $5.15M Cap hit, $18.15M Total salary – The DT position is loaded with good to great players in the free agent pool in Madden NFL 25. The second best and best players on my overall big board both play DT. You can't go wrong with either one, but I've chosen Sione Pouha as the second best DT and second best overall free agent available. Pouha is 34 years old and will probably give you a few good seasons inMadden NFL 25

Pouha isn't the fastest, but he is the strongest with a 96 strength rating. Not particularly agile, he is explosive and tied for second best in acceleration rating. A strong 85 awareness rating is third best. Pouha's 91 tackle rating is easily the best among those that play DT in free agency. Pouha's 95 block shedding rating also makes him a monster on running plays combined with his strength rating. Finally, Pouha has a top five stamina rating among free agent DT. Good as a 3-4 anchor or a 4-3 run stuffer Sione Pouha is versatile enough and just plain good enough to upgrade any team's defensive line. He comes in as my second best free agent available on day one in Madden NFL 25.

1. DT Richard Seymour – 89 OVR, $5.75M Cap hit, $20.25M Total salary – So here we are at No. 1. The 33 year old Richard Seymour is an elite DT and comes at just a slightly higher price than Sione Pouha, yet brings more to the table. Seymour is a beast in Madden NFL 25. An immediate impact player, Seymour has top five speed, top five strength, second best agility, best in class awareness (96), and the fifth best tackling rating among free agent DT. The best at pass rushing power moves, Seymour also ranks third best at block shedding, and second best in pursuit. Best rated play recognition (88) rounds out Seymour's impressive ratings. Seymour is more than just a run stuffer, he's also an impact pass rusher from the DT position. Richard Seymour can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 and his play-making ability from the defensive tackle position, a position that isn't incredibly deep in Madden NFL 25, makes him the best overall free agent available.

You might have noticed a lack of players at the traditional skill positions of QB, RB, WR, and CB. That's because while there are some good players at those positions in free agency, the guys who are available are either overpriced, over-aged, or just not that much better than what is on the NFL rosters.

Operation Sports, there's my list, who's on yours? Should Vonta Leach and his 94 overall have made the list? Sound off in the comments and let us know who you like and why.

Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JFB123 @ 12/14/13 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodank82
Takeo Spikes ranks as 85 in my leagues so far and will become 86 after raising block shedding one point. Seymour is always 89, but Pouha is a 90 with the most resent update put into a ccf. There are many good signing possibilities. I sign them then trade them for draft picks. I want them to be on teams that keep the team rankings somewhat realistic. I added a realistic Breff Favre (game face created). He'll be the only qb over 76, which Tebow had and Carr a 75.
I think he's rating them if you use the stock rosters.

# 2 ManiacMatt1782 @ 12/15/13 09:58 AM
Leach is very good, but most teams don't use a FB any more. I can see him being left off for that reason.

# 3 HunterK13 @ 12/16/13 10:15 AM
If you wait until the last couple weeks of the preseason or week 1, a lot of random players get cut. Andre Ellington, Kendall Hunter, and Robert Ayers are the most notable. Out of my four franchises I've started, all have been cut at least 3 times by week 1.

# 4 drsublime @ 12/17/13 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodank82
I know man. I'm just sharing my experiences from ccf.
I find it surprising Beanie Wells never got picked up in real life. I remember him being a 1st rounder and playing well at Arizona and being one of best backs in college. He's only 25 too.
his knees are destroyed in real life.

He also holds the singe game record for rushing yards for the Arizona Cardinals.

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-de...ay-at-st-louis

super talented RB, probably just as gifted as any RB not named Adrian Peterson, just VERY injury prone.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.