Home
Feature Article
Top Five Stories of 2013: NCAA Football's Demise

It was all idle chatter at first — what could happen to the NCAA Football series as a result of the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit that is.  Rumors would circulate, you’d hear schools were getting nervous, you’d hear the series’ future was in doubt.

But you didn’t want to believe it.

Julys around OS (and really the whole sports gaming genre) have always been a lot of fun with the release of NCAA Football. It was good for business here, it was good for gamers, it was good for EA.

July was the unofficial (but yet also official) start to the main season for Sports gamers. First came NCAA, then NFL game(s), then hockey, then basketball.  Mixed in that whole season would usually be a WWE game and several notable racing titles.

Now, Christmas in July is over for sports gamers — at least for now.

When the news came down that there would be no more NCAA Football, I wasn’t actually shocked. We saw the signs coming well before then. The NCAA bailed, then Conferences bailed, then there were rumors of schools preparing to bolt.

When a school, like the rumored Ohio State, came to EA and said ‘we’re not in this anymore’ — it likely was the death blow to the title.

In a way, sports gamers have created a trap for themselves, demanding more and more detail and realism which only a handful of companies can provide — and when it becomes impossible for a company to delver that sort of experience due to licensing issues well, the writing was on the wall for the NCAA Football series.

While we’ll never know what backroom deals were sealed, but the O’Bannon case was also announced as settled between EA/CLC and team O’Bannon shortly after the announcement that NCAA Football was cancelled.

EA denies the cancellation of the series had anything to do with the O’Bannon lawsuit, but that is almost certainly a PR move to hopefully keep Ed O’Bannon and company from getting the blame for the cancellation of the series.

Of course, it also doesn’t hurt that the NCAA created this whole mess in the first place. They signed off on player’s almost exact likenesses being in the game all the while assuming (hoping) no one was going to notice and cry foul.

But not only was the NCAA wrong, it was just another symptom of systemic exploitation of college athletes to prop up a billion dollar industry. Sure, college athletes are handsomely rewarded for their participation in major college football with an education — and sure, Universities almost certainly couldn’t afford to pay college players on a widspread level. But there’s something uniquely wrong with asking players to play football for your university, sometimes shuttling them into horrible academic majors just so they can play football, and then spitting them out on the other end — sometimes with no coherent degree plan and no education.

It’s hard to fully support that kind of a system no matter how different it could be with more active participation of parents and academic counselors in a student’s education, and it was bound to begin to crumble under the NCAA and Univerisity’s feet someday.

Hope for the Future

There is hope for a rebirth of the NCAA Football series in the future, but that hope does come with an expiration date.

EA will have a window as major college athletics moves towards a Division 4 type of model, with the biggest universities setting their own rules with regards to player recruiting, compensation, and bonuses.

That type of a model, where schools could opt into a game without fear of litigation because players are compensated for their appearances from the license money either via a scholarship or some type of stipend — is one possible future.

Any future college games will have to include the actual players in the game in a way that makes everyone happy — which would open up a world of possibilities for fans of college football video games.

Roster updates, real storylines, better overall commentary, perhaps even better player ratings and likenesses. The possibilities are endless.

It’s not like NCAA Football wasn’t a good seller, the game was definitely no slouch when it came to sales. It’s unlikely any future EA college football game will bear the name NCAA Football, as both EA and the NCAA are now locked into some legal tangling as well.

Bye For Now

In the short term, there is absolutely zero chance of seeing a college sports game of any kind. NCAA Basketball is definitely out of the picture and NCAA Football looks to be an absolute longshot at best with schools now as unlikely as ever to opt into a video games product for pennies in return.

So for now, it’s so long to Christmas in July and all that came with it.

So long to long nights of roster editing.

So long to online dynasty, dynasty mode, and all that came with it.

So long to fight songs, pageantry, and seeing absolutely ridiculous poll logic screw you out of a National Title appearances.

So long to never getting to play a four team playoff in our game of NCAA.

So long to NCAA Football the series name.

And so long to an old and reliable friend. While the NCAA Football series never quite reached the levels of its much well regarded peers in our genre, NCAA was a reliably good game to get the sports gaming season kicked off the right way.

We’ll cherish the memories and hope towards the future.

So long old friend, for now.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Earl1963 @ 12/23/13 06:25 PM
This is the most disappointing thing to ever happen to me in gaming. NCAA football has always been my favorite video game each year, and this news was pretty hard for me.

# 2 BLACKHORSE09 @ 12/23/13 07:15 PM
I just don't get why they can't do something such as:

- send a form to each school asking if they want in the next NCAA game but they will not be able to get any money out of it unless their school is on the front cover

- send forms for each player at each D1F school and ask if they want to be in the next NCAA game and if they say no their player/number will not be added and if they want in they can't sue for likeliness and cannot receive any money from being added in the game. Unless they get on the front cover.

I mean if you were a D1 athlete and you just read over a paper and basically you had either:

- receive no money and not be in the game
- receive no money and get to be in a video game.

What do you think an 18 year old would say to that? No shyt they'd want in. I'm sure EA can figure some paperwork out. And if a school doesn't want to be in someone can just make a teambuilder. I'm sure there's some legal stuff that prevents this which is why it hasn't happened but seriously I'm sure there's an answer.

# 3 supermanemblem @ 12/23/13 08:25 PM
It would have been nice to get a new gen version before they shut it down.

# 4 Jimbo614 @ 12/23/13 09:10 PM
I just want to say that picture of Pitt and Virginia is the most realistic thing Ive seen. And that's on this generation too. bravo whoever caught that.

# 5 DirtyJerz32 @ 12/23/13 09:31 PM
Sad it happened this way, but with NCAA basketball and College Hoops games getting canceled, the writing was on the way. Here's hoping sometime this generation a new college game could come along.

Bill Walsh college football anyone? Tuscaloosa vs. Tallahassee?

# 6 Jeremy7679 @ 12/24/13 01:31 AM
I'm actually trying to look at the bright side of this. For starters, I don't have to worry about buying a PS4 because this is pretty much the only video game I play. The only other thing I use my PS3 is for Netflix, Hulu, etc.. Also, now I don't have to feel rushed to get my dynasty as far as I can before the next version comes out. At least for now anyway.

# 7 SpartyParty11 @ 12/24/13 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE09

- send a form to each school asking if they want in the next NCAA game but they will not be able to get any money out of it unless their school is on the front cover

- send forms for each player at each D1F school and ask if they want to be in the next NCAA game and if they say no their player/number will not be added and if they want in they can't sue for likeliness and cannot receive any money from being added in the game. Unless they get on the front cover.

I mean if you were a D1 athlete and you just read over a paper and basically you had either:

What do you think an 18 year old would say to that? No shyt they'd want in. I'm sure EA can figure some paperwork out. And if a school doesn't want to be in someone can just make a teambuilder. I'm sure there's some legal stuff that prevents this which is why it hasn't happened but seriously I'm sure there's an answer.
I love the last comment you said. I asked one of my friends who's a star on D1 football team (not gonna say who or where, but he's a WR) I asked him if he thought it was awesome to be in a game. He said it's really cool and he just kept throwing the ball to himself. The way he acted, he didn't care about being paid. It was a privilege to be in a video game

# 8 mattynokes @ 12/24/13 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty11
I love the last comment you said. I asked one of my friends who's a star on D1 football team (not gonna say who or where, but he's a WR) I asked him if he thought it was awesome to be in a game. He said it's really cool and he just kept throwing the ball to himself. The way he acted, he didn't care about being paid. It was a privilege to be in a video game
While at Ohio U I knew many players that were thrilled to be on the game. Heck, even an argument over if a player who was a friend of mine was in the game or if it was someone else.

It's sad that a few money hungry, what do you owe me kind of people ruin it for everyone. We can talk about how much money the NCAA makes off of these players, but how about the free marketing that comes with it for the players?

Tim Tebow was a first round pick because of the NCAA and the media. Without it, everyone realizes what we've come to know now, he's not a NFL QB. And sure, some are saying, "I knew he wasn't," but enough people believed to give him a nice paycheck for a few years.

And how about Craig Krenzel? Because of the attention he received, he now has a job whenever he wants it in the greater Columbus area. Many other QBs have come and gone before and after Krenzel, but none have been received quite like him in the local advertising world. I'm sure the way he was talked about and seemingly always mentioned his molecular genetics major story had nothing to do with it...

# 9 BSchwartz07 @ 12/24/13 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty11
I know of at least one basketball player at Ohio State that once told me he was upset that they stopped making NCAA Basketball games. Told me when he signed to OSU one of the things he wanted to do was make himself all 99's and dunk on everyone. Also, a guy I work with now played FB in college at a smaller school, he loves telling everyone about how his roommate in college moved him to RB and won the Heisman with him, and that one of the game guides mentioned using him if you play with that school.

# 10 Junior Moe @ 12/24/13 08:54 AM
Why couldn't a fully licensed college football (or basketball) game with fictional players work? Its all fictional after 4 years anyway. Have completely fictional non customizable rosters tailored to the respective schools strengths. Think Madden or NBA 2k but with fictional players. Go out of the way to make sure that the players don't resemble real life student athletes (height, weight, race, hand...) in any way. The depth they could go into with commentary, ratings and "signature styles" would be endless. I have been having an absolute blast with CWSapp and Dreece's NBA 2k classes. The storylines and players have me more intrigued than the real life NCAA Basketball and the NBA draft. Could you imagine a licensed college football or basketball game with that kind of depth? With detailed player models on par with the pro games? A man can dream...

# 11 Mick-S @ 12/24/13 09:47 AM
with any luck O’Bannon`s money will bring him nothing but misery.

# 12 xirdneh132 @ 12/24/13 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE09

It doesn't work that way, when an athlete signs a letter of intent and accepts the scholarship he/she must follow all of the rules/guidelines set by the NCAA, they cannot receive a separate contract (plus they're 18, even the most intelligent 18 year olds don't understand the legal ramifications of the contract they are signing). They do not get to choose to be in the game and as of right now, and this has always been the case, it is illegal to use their likeness and be in the game, period. That's what the lawsuit by O'Bannon was partially about, they NCAA pretending to not use their likeness because it's illegal while clearly using their likeness. There are a myriad of laws that are incredibly complicated and what you are suggesting is impossible and illegal.

# 13 coogrfan @ 12/24/13 06:23 PM
Quote:
EA will have a window as major college athletics moves towards a Division 4 type of model, with the biggest universities setting their own rules with regards to player recruiting, compensation, and bonuses.

That type of a model, where schools could opt into a game without fear of litigation because players are compensated for their appearances from the license money either via a scholarship or some type of stipend — is one possible future.

Any future college games will have to include the actual players in the game in a way that makes everyone happy — which would open up a world of possibilities for fans of college football video games.

Roster updates, real storylines, better overall commentary, perhaps even better player ratings and likenesses. The possibilities are endless.
Endless, that is, if you happen to be a fan of an "Enormous State U"-type school. For the rest of us, whose schools would be unlikely to be included in such a game, it would be the final death knell for cfb gaming.

# 14 SpartyParty11 @ 12/24/13 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
While at Ohio U I knew many players that were thrilled to be on the game. Heck, even an argument over if a player who was a friend of mine was in the game or if it was someone else.

It's sad that a few money hungry, what do you owe me kind of people ruin it for everyone. We can talk about how much money the NCAA makes off of these players, but how about the free marketing that comes with it for the players?

Tim Tebow was a first round pick because of the NCAA and the media. Without it, everyone realizes what we've come to know now, he's not a NFL QB. And sure, some are saying, "I knew he wasn't," but enough people believed to give him a nice paycheck for a few years.

And how about Craig Krenzel? Because of the attention he received, he now has a job whenever he wants it in the greater Columbus area. Many other QBs have come and gone before and after Krenzel, but none have been received quite like him in the local advertising world. I'm sure the way he was talked about and seemingly always mentioned his molecular genetics major story had nothing to do with it...
Funny that most, if not all, of the players part of the lawsuit were former college players that couldn't make a living in the NFL. Well, since they don't know what it's like to get real jobs because their college career was 99.9% of their life, they're trying to get easy money

# 15 josephid @ 12/25/13 07:16 AM
Can EA just spend some time in giving us the chance to create what ever we want. The players, teams, stadiums and so on. Just give us the base game play and we build.

Call it football GM or ? As for online problems with head to head play and licenses, who cares, I don't play on line. The money they put into a better create platform, they could use for other games.

# 16 xcgjyfxtrhqing @ 12/26/13 04:49 AM

# 17 xcgjyfxtrhqing @ 12/26/13 04:55 AM

# 18 supermanemblem @ 12/27/13 03:12 AM
@goodydog. Have you ever heard of unpaid internships? I had one in college and I wasn't running around making coffee or copies. I was producing real work and got paid nothing. People like you miss the entire point of being a college athlete. They are "paid" by way of an opportunity for a free education, housing, food, healthcare and travel. Do you know how a business works? Employees and contractors do not receive compensation equal to what they produced. If they did then the owners, who put up their own money to fund the business get the banana in the tailpipe. Kobe got $30 mil from the Lakers this year. How much money do you think they make off of him? I'll give you a hint. It way more than $30 mil. If college athletes are put off by the amount of money they are generating, they can always get a job and find the hard way that they will never make what the big boss makes.

# 19 dso122783 @ 12/27/13 05:38 PM
First, I love NCAA football. I play it every year, all year. I think whats going on here reminds of an episode of south park. I can't say the word but it was written just after the Michael Richards standup incident. Token told Stan that he "just doesn't understand" why the word is offensive. At the end Stan tells Token "I finally got it. I don't get it". Token says that now Stan understands. Make sense?
I really don't see the big fus with these college athletes and the sense of entitlement. To me its a privilege. You cant complain about a thing that you chose to do. That's like me saying "Man, I hate not getting paid enough at work" Everyone says that. Very few people think they are overpaid. But very few people quit because of pay, they just complain. And almost nobody hires a lawyer over it. That's because there is a simple answer for them. Quit and do something else. But they don't quit. I don't think Im underpaid, but if I did feel that I was, I would look for something else. In the meantime I would be glad I have a job to complain about. I think college football players should be glad that they are so talented and have so many opportunities that so many others don't. Imagine nobody in your family ever going to college. You come from a poverty stricken home. You have no networks or connections in the real world.You go to sleep almost every night to the sounds of sirens and gunshots. However you find out you are a beast on the gridiron. Now, I would use that to my advantage and be thankful I have that skill that could get me an education. A life. Its called opportunity. And I would not feel slighted for not getting paid because my number is in NCAA. But that's just me.
Back to my South Park reference. Maybe we, as gamers, just don't understand. We say we do. Heck, I just made a rant about it. But maybe we just don't get it.

# 20 ftball11 @ 12/28/13 03:03 AM
The problem is not just the former athletes and their $40 million settlement, the problem is gamers as well. Don’t forget, EA settled a class-action suit with gamers for $27 million. EA is going to payout $67 million and to add icing on the cake, now the NCAA is suing them. Due to the liability, I guarantee you no company will ever produce a college sports game and the NCAA will never license to a video-game maker again.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.