Home
Feature Article
FIFA World Cup 14 Brazil: Why You Should Care

So, it was revealed last week that EA’s FIFA World Cup 2014 will be hitting the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on April 17. Unfortunately, the Next-Gen crowd will miss out.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t even own a next-gen console yet (#StudentProblems), and I’m bummed for you guys. But before you completely dismiss FIFA World Cup, despite it being current-gen, read this column and hear me out.

The Presentation for FIFA World Cup is top-notch

This is something I’ve admired about these special FIFA games since I had the 2006 World Cup game on the PlayStation 2. The game's presentation is always beefed up ... I remember in '06, the zoom in stadium animations were fantastic, almost movie-like from a PS2 perspective.

EA always bring their A-game when it comes to making these special tournament-based iterations feel, well, special. How about that? They really do enhance the quality, even if it’s only for the short term.

Recent Tournament FIFA’s have brought in new modes

This is another thing that could be very interesting. In recent Tournament FIFA games, they’ve brought in new and exciting one-off modes to liven games up. And there HAS to be something new in this game considering it’s a £40/$60 release.

If you’ve forgotten, in the Euro 2012 DLC in FIFA 12, they had the pretty enjoyable “Expedition Mode.” You would travel around Europe, beating countries and taking their players to make your team better, building a dream team of European talent as you go. (Seriously, Spain’s midfield with Rooney, Van Persie and Ibrahimovic upfront? Man…)

FIFA’s South Africa World Cup game had “Captain Your Country,” which was one of the first football games where you controlled an individual player as you led your national side as Captain, to World Cup glory. It was essentially Be A Pro mode.

I’m very confident FIFA has something new planned for this, so give it a chance.

You can use obscure national teams!

If there’s one plus to these FIFA Tournament games that doesn’t get enough credit, is the HUGE national databases that EA give the games. Add in the ability to play with any of the 200-plus national teams that entered the qualifying stages, as well as the option to recreate or rewrite history, you've got yourself a solid game.

Speaking from experience, having this option is awesome. I’m originally Jamaican myself, and our national side is not featured in normal yearly FIFA games, so it’s always nice to have that option. If someone from Tahiti wants to play as them, then dammit, give them the option to play as Tahiti!

Different commentators

FIFA’s commentary has taken a bit of a nose dive in recent years, ever since Andy Gray got the chop for his embarrassing Sky Sports sacking. The current combination of Martin Tyler and Alan Smith tends to bore me, and Alan McInally’s live scoring updates seem to be more of a distraction than anything else (which to be fair, is only in career).

In the tournament games, the commentary team of Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend tend to take over, and I think they have provide a better chemistry and style for a football game.

If you ever see the comparison between the NBA games for instance, with NBA 2K14’s Kevin Harlan, Clark Kellogg and Steve Kerr, and compare it to NBA Live’s really boring Van Gundy, the difference is night and day. It can really enhance, or degrade, the quality of a sports game’s interactive experience.

These are just a few reasons why you should be looking forward to the FIFA World Cup games. Let me know how you feel about them in the comments below, or on Twitter at @Harrison101HD.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PhilBuff24 @ 02/18/14 09:58 AM
No next gen so I pass on it...

# 2 MDgolf @ 02/18/14 09:59 AM
I still can't get over why this wasn't released for next gen. The next gen systems come out and obviously its the future in terms of developing software for and they ignore it? Very weird business from EA.

# 3 bigdoc85 @ 02/18/14 10:17 AM
I am trading in my FIFA14 for Xbox One this week and will plan on getting this.

# 4 Dogslax41 @ 02/18/14 10:23 AM
Problem is, for current gen players you are fighting the mentality of "I just bought a FIFA game, does this improve enough to warrant a purchase" and you are only going to get a fraction of those fans. For next gen players, why go back to a weaker performing game. Most of the people that I know that are in love with the next gen version enjoy it so much because of how drastically different it feels from the PS3/360 version. Its infinitely smoother, broadcast presentation is miles better and player interaction is night and day compared to the older version. I can only imagine a tiny population of next gen players that will be interested in buying ps3/360 FIFA.

I am truly going to miss the additional presentation elements they are adding but at the end of the day I'd rather play a just flat out better game than play a weaker game that has prettier cut scenes. I personally would probably pick up a pc version just because with extensive modding you can get a game that plays better than next gen, but just doesn't look as smooth, but they have eliminated that option as well. So I'll just continue to play my next gen version and enjoy the international tournaments that are offered in the reduced form they are offered.

# 5 Simple Mathematics @ 02/18/14 10:26 AM
I don't really care that it's not for next gen. I'll be picking this up and getting down to some World Cup business!

# 6 Rhouston @ 02/18/14 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgolf
I still can't get over why this wasn't released for next gen. The next gen systems come out and obviously its the future in terms of developing software for and they ignore it? Very weird business from EA.
Here's why EA Sports isn't releasing this for next-gen, so hopefully we can put all of this moaning and complaining to a rest:

Producing games costs money (and a lot of it) and time (and a lot of it). While it might seem like a lot of people already have an XB1 or a PS4, the truth is that the vast majority of people in the world do not have this system yet. As a result, facing a money and time constraint (as this is an additional game that EA Sports normally doesn't produce in a fiscal year), they weren't able to make a game for both next gen and current gen. Thus, they went with the masses and released this for the XB360 and PS3, making it available to the greatest number of people available.

There is the reason, so let's stop all of the whining about this not being released for next gen, because it makes perfect sense for EA Sports to do this (it's been a while since I've said that...) and very little sense to go only with the XB1/PS4 version. Then, we'd hear about 4 times the complaints about it not being on current-gen...

# 7 Stormyhog @ 02/18/14 11:06 AM
I'll be passing on the game not going backwards after playing Fifa 14 on next gen. If the reason for not releasing on next gen is the size of the audience then why was Fifa 14 put out on next gen why not stay current gen as well? If it makes sense with this game to stay current gen then wouldn't it have made even more sense for Fifa 14 as well considering the consoles weren't even in homes yet.

# 8 Dogslax41 @ 02/18/14 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
Here's why EA Sports isn't releasing this for next-gen, so hopefully we can put all of this moaning and complaining to a rest:

Producing games costs money (and a lot of it) and time (and a lot of it). While it might seem like a lot of people already have an XB1 or a PS4, the truth is that the vast majority of people in the world do not have this system yet. As a result, facing a money and time constraint (as this is an additional game that EA Sports normally doesn't produce in a fiscal year), they weren't able to make a game for both next gen and current gen. Thus, they went with the masses and released this for the XB360 and PS3, making it available to the greatest number of people available.

There is the reason, so let's stop all of the whining about this not being released for next gen, because it makes perfect sense for EA Sports to do this (it's been a while since I've said that...) and very little sense to go only with the XB1/PS4 version. Then, we'd hear about 4 times the complaints about it not being on current-gen...

That is true for next gen but the lack of a pc release goes counter to that argument. I am curious if that means EA is already transitioning pc to the ignite engine and the complexity and variation of that engine compared to current gen is the reason its not created for next gen and pc or if they are planning to abandon it all together.

# 9 MCSavage @ 02/18/14 11:15 AM
I will get it, if my tiny country, Estonia, has a licensed squad with real names and likenesses. In Euro 2012 there was a bunch of random named dudes playing for my country. That was... embarrassing to play.

# 10 Rhouston @ 02/18/14 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
I'll be passing on the game not going backwards after playing Fifa 14 on next gen. If the reason for not releasing on next gen is the size of the audience then why was Fifa 14 put out on next gen why not stay current gen as well? If it makes sense with this game to stay current gen then wouldn't it have made even more sense for Fifa 14 as well considering the consoles weren't even in homes yet.
FIFA 14 was a planned launch game for the next-gen consoles, and the "FIFA" series comes out every single year. The producers and developers had plenty of time and money to budget for a next-gen FIFA.

However, 2014 WC is an "add-on" game for FY14 that is not normally part of the EA Sports line-up, and EA had significantly less time to plan and produce this game because it's that much more work to create a entire new game on top of what you normally have. Essentially, two different versions wasn't possible, so they decided to go with the version that currently has the largest consumer base.

# 11 Panicshade @ 02/18/14 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
FIFA 14 was a planned launch game for the next-gen consoles, and the "FIFA" series comes out every single year. The producers and developers had plenty of time and money to budget for a next-gen FIFA.

However, 2014 WC is an "add-on" game for FY14 that is not normally part of the EA Sports line-up, and EA had significantly less time to plan and produce this game because it's that much more work to create a entire new game on top of what you normally have. Essentially, two different versions wasn't possible, so they decided to go with the version that currently has the largest consumer base.
It's not on next gen so I don't care about this game. The article should have been named "Why 360/PS3 owners should care about this game."

# 12 Stormyhog @ 02/18/14 01:10 PM
I have a PS3 and PS4 but I am still not buying it for the PS3. It's EA they have the resources to put the game on next gen if they wanted. It's their biggest and best selling sports franchise so I find it hard to believe they could'nt have done it. Also what about the people that traded in there PS3's and 360's to advance to next gen. Oh I guess they want people to go back and buy those systems again to. I know how the game is played.

# 13 asu666 @ 02/18/14 01:17 PM
I'm looking forward to playing the World Cup version; however, it would be nice if EA released a special edition of FIFA 14 with the World Cup content built into the Career mode and as a standalone. I'd gladly pay more to have an all in one version.

# 14 mfp @ 02/18/14 01:37 PM
Pretty poor article as it completely ignores what made the previous WC game so great: the gameplay.

And why would I want to play a FIFA game that will be a considerable step back from the quality of gameplay I've got with next gen 14? Game modes, teams, presentation, commentary? Seriously?

# 15 mfp @ 02/18/14 01:37 PM
Pretty poor article as it completely ignores what made the previous WC game so great: the gameplay.

And why would I want to play a FIFA game that will be a considerable step back from the quality of gameplay I've got with next gen 14? Game modes, teams, presentation, commentary? Seriously?

# 16 RayRay34 @ 02/18/14 02:15 PM
Andre, your article hit it head on. While upsetting that it won't be on my PS4 it will be a day one purchase for me mainly because of the reasons you have listed. Presentation being at the forefront. The World Cup games always do a great job of making you feel like your not just playing a FIFA port. Can't wait, and anyone who isn't buying it because it's not being released next gen is doing themselves an injustice.

# 17 SkillzKillz719 @ 02/18/14 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBuff24
No next gen so I pass on it...
I sadly second this.

# 18 Rhouston @ 02/18/14 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
It should definitely be on next gen. What boggles the mind even more is that it's not on PC.

EA overthinks these things way to much. Just get the game out there on as many platforms as possible and stop making excuses. Piracy is a non-issue like Gabe Newell has shown. Just provide good products and good service.Get your game out there and get it on Steam. Stop with this Origin nonsense and stop with the excuses. Lets just start selling some games. This is called long term growth. These suits at EA are so entirely focused on short term profits they kill the brand.... Absolutely boggles the mind.
Agree with you regarding EA focusing too much on short-term profits. However, I still agree with their decision this time around for my aforementioned reasons, and that ultimately, they HAVE to make a profit, so in the short-term, they do need to worry about coin a little (especially with NBA Live's hilariously poor financial showing).

I understand that it's frustrating for you all that you played the superior PS4 or Xbox One version of FIFA 14 only to receive the news that in order to enjoy the video game World Cup, you have to downgrade once again.

However, I want you to step into the EA Sports "suits'" shoes for a second. You're faced with the reality that you can only release one version of the game -- the current-gen version that has 5 times the consumer base or the next-gen version, which would make that consumer base happy but piss off the vast majority of your target market. Keep in mind that NBA Live was a huge failure, so you have to make up some money. You would honestly tell me that you would choose to go with the next-gen version?

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't like your chances of staying in your position for too long...

# 19 orion523 @ 02/18/14 04:25 PM
Have you completely forgotten the drat DLC they released to coincide with the 2012 Euros? That alone is enough to give me pause. Besides, even if it is a solid release, it's still CG, and the CG version of the game pales in all areas when compared to NG, I couldn't go back if I wanted too lol. It hurts me to say this because I was so looking forward to it, but I pass.

# 20 Rhouston @ 02/18/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Have you completely forgotten the drat DLC they released to coincide with the 2012 Euros? That alone is enough to give me pause. Besides, even if it is a solid release, it's still CG, and the CG version of the game pales in all areas when compared to NG, I couldn't go back if I wanted too lol. It hurts me to say this because I was so looking forward to it, but I pass.
Yeah, and I remember how poorly it was constructed/received, and chances are that they remember as well.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.