Home
Feature Article
NBA Live 14 Is Barely Updating Its Players

Of the 428 players currently included in NBA Live 14, just 32 players have received an overall rating adjustment since the game's November 19 release.

That means a meager 7% of the game's roster has been updated over the past 3 months.

Almost half of the game's 30 NBA teams (14, to be exact) have received no rating updates since release day.

After performing a side-by-side comparison of the November 19, 2013 roster and the February 22, 2014 roster, here are the only changes of note:
  • Jeff Teague (ATL) -- 78 overall to 80 overall
  • Louis Williams (ATL)-- 77 overall to 78 overall
  • Elton Brand (ATL) -- 73 overall to 72 overall
  • Gustavo Ayon (ATL) -- 60 overall to 62 overall
  • Mike Scott (ATL) -- 59 overall to 60 overall

• Paul Pierce (BRK) -- 85 overall to 84 overall
  • Kevin Garnett (BRK) -- 84 overall to 83 overall

• Derrick Rose (CHI) -- 89 overall to 87 overall

• Anthony Bennett (CLE) -- 75 overall to 74 overall

• James Harden (HOU) -- 87 overall to 89 overall
  • Patrick Beverley (HOU) -- 71 overall to 75 overall

• Paul George (IND) -- 88 overall to 90 overall

• Dwyane Wade (MIA) -- 88 overall to 87 overall
  • Udonis Haslem (MIA) -- 71 overall to 70 overall

• Steve Nash (LAL) -- 82 overall to 81 overall
  • Nick Young (LAL) -- 76 overall to 78 overall
  • Jordan Farmar (LAL) -- 74 overall to 73 overall
  • Shawne Williams (LAL) -- 66 overall to 67 overall

• Anthony Davis (NO) -- 80 overall to 83 overall
  • Ryan Anderson (NO) -- 78 overall to 80 overall

• J.R. Smith (NYK) -- 80 overall to 79 overall
  • Amar'e Stoudemire (NYK) -- 80 overall to 77 overall

• Jeremy Lamb (OKC) -- 82 overall to 81 overall
  • Reggie Jackson (OKC) -- 79 overall to 80 overall

• Arron Afflalo (ORL) -- 81 overall to 83 overall
  • Maurice Harkless (ORL) -- 70 overall to 72 overall
  • Jason Maxiell (ORL) -- 70 overall to 69 overall
  • Ronnie Price (ORL) --- 69 overall to 68 overall

• Michael Carter-Williams (PHI) -- 77 overall to 80 overall

• Eric Bledsoe (PHX) -- 82 overall to 85 overall

• Lamarcus Aldridge (POR) -- 85 overall to 87 overall

• DeMar DeRozan (TOR) -- 80 overall to 82 overall
Aside from each team's trades and transactions, which still do not reflect moves made at the February 20 trading deadline, the rosters for Boston, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Golden State, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Memphis, Sacramento, San Antonio, Utah and Washington continue to look just as they did on the day NBA Live 14 came out.

How Badly Do The Ratings Need Updating?

The San Antonio Spurs' Marco Belinelli, this year's Three-Point Shootout champion, continues to sport a 75 three-point rating in NBA Live 14, despite making 45% from behind the arc this season. That's only 2% below Kyle Korver (47%), who maintains a 92 three-point rating in NBA Live 14, and 1% above José Calderón (44%), who owns a 91-rated three-point shot.

The NBA's second-hottest three-point shooter, Los Angeles Lakers point guard, Kendall Marshall, boasts an even more pathetic 59 rating from downtown, despite making 47% of his three-balls this season. Marshall's 59 three-point attribute makes even less sense when you consider that it's a point or two below big men like Anthony Bennett (23%), Pau Gasol (30%) and DeMarcus Cousins (0%). How can Cousins, who is 0 for 7 from the perimeter this year and 9 for 61 in his career (15%), have a higher three-point rating than Kendall Marshall?

Goran Dragić, the Phoenix Suns' leading scorer, and one of the primary reasons why the team has gone directly from the draft lottery to being a playoff contender, still sits at a 79 overall rating, behind lesser guards like Martell Webster (82 overall), Marcus Thornton (82 overall), Greivis Vásquez (81 overall), Thabo Sefolosha (81 overall) and Eric Maynor (80 overall). Numerous backups and role players, even the lowly Andrew Bynum, have higher attributes than Dragić, whose 22.36 player efficiency rating ranks 14th in the NBA, above household names like James Harden (22.00), Dwyane Wade (21.73), Russell Westbrook (21.64), Paul George (21.09) and Tony Parker (19.92). There are only two players in the NBA who currently shoot 50% or better from the field, while averaging at least 20 points and 6 assists per game: Goran Dragić and LeBron James.

What Happened To 'Hourly Updates'?

Player ratings are just one of many aspects currently lacking in NBA Live 14's roster. A number of teams are missing players, leaving their lineup short of the NBA's 15-man limit. Several athletes display weird hairstyles, or even the wrong skin tone. Many players appear without their favorite accessories, and the few who guys do have them are often using unusual accessory colors.

These mistakes all run contrary to the promise of "hourly updates", which Electronic Arts touted during NBA Live 14's June reveal at E3, and continued marketing all the way up to the game's November release.

Because NBA Live 14 was purposely designed to prevent gamers from editing its roster in any way, there is nothing that the title's estimated 100,000-plus owners can do to correct Electronic Arts' errors.

Are you satisfied with the way NBA Live 14 has handled its roster updates? Air your opinion in the comments below.

NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 noshun @ 02/24/14 03:20 PM
Im still seeing the "next year" mantra going on in this thread. It's a de ja vu slogan for this series, long running since Live 07. Bolded sig says a lot, gluttons for punishment..

# 22 blackceasar @ 02/24/14 05:03 PM
First off, I'm by no means a 2k Fanboy.. so if you are a Live Fanboy, I will get that opportunity to name call me a 2k Fanboy as a means of dismissal of anything I have to say here out of the way right now.

EA's NBA Live team loves the guys on here defending their title. Even the ones who try and do what I call a "ninja stealth defend". You know who you are. "Yes the game has problems, but its a good foundation and I'm having a blast!!!!".... okay dudes, whatever. If you're having a blast, good for you but everytime you try to balance your comments they NEED TO HEAR with what they WANT TO HEAR all you're doing to enabling them to keep putting out a craptacular title. Point blank. All you're doing is hurting yourself from getting the basketball game you deserve when you decide to drop your hard earned 59.99 + tax on their title.

Once again, the lemmings and sheep have bee hoodwinked and bamboozled. You guys are like just asking for punishment. You're like the chick who's got the drunken abusive spouse or boyfriend but refuse to leave him because "I know deep down there's a good dude in there". You're in denial, point blank. Basically they put out a really awful half-assed title, that was him punching you in the face three times. Then some PR people from EA Sports get that O'Brien or whoever his name is to make some kind of apology and a "I promise our relationship with you (the gamer) will get better!" That's him wanting you to not walk out on him because you're all he's got left... So you fall for it.. and then POW, you get punched again. He knows he cant just give you another "im sorry speech" so what does he do? He shows up with a half-dozen half wilted roses and calls it "updating player models" and they come with a card that reads "oh and we are also doing this and this in future updates for you! I love you, please don't walk out on me baby!"...

..So what do you do? You fall for it again. You guys get on here (you know EXACTLY who you are) and start trying to rationalize the 59.99 purchase yet again. "Man the game has come a long way bro". "Yeah man I agree". Really? A long way from what?? Coming a long way is RELATIVE to where it started. In this case since I say you guys are just gluttons for punishment, "coming a long way" with NBA Live 14 is like saying "well my man used to beat me every night, now he only does it on the weekends.. I love him for makings these strides in our relationship.. I think I'm going to stick it out with him."

I know my analogy is a bit harsh, but Live 14 is just a bad relationship you need to get out of. The more you stay in it, the more the same **** is going to keep happening. All you're doing is enabling them... How many times are you going to get knocked around by Live or have it continue to cheat on you? Those who enable them here have no reason to complain about the game.. even in the slightest bit. The Live franchise after all their grandstanding and PR moves from two years out all the way up to this very day should tell you something. They really aren't going to give you what you deserve in a 60.00 title until you stop giving them your 60.00. Period.

# 23 coke hogan @ 02/24/14 05:13 PM
they will always use that excuse. there is no other. Tiburon needs to put a trademark on that phrase. lol.

# 24 loosey101 @ 02/24/14 05:36 PM
Okay Black Caesar, I guess I am one of those "guys" you're talking about. Now, no disrespect, I totally get what you're saying and you're right, it's inexcusable how they have treated Live 14 and the gamers who bought it this year. I think this game has gaping issues and if they don't come out swinging in 15, I'm done. I do enjoy 14 though, when it plays good it's fun, but it obviously has nothing on 2k. Each game plays differently and when live 14 starts to take a step forward with me, it takes two back. There really isn't an excuse for their lack of updating even the most simplest of things. I listen to some of the interviews the guy does about 14 and man, you would think this last patch was revolutionary, he seems to have an issue with people criticizing the game and refers to them as "haters", haters, seriously? Bro, guys can't even update the rosters after the freaking trade deadline. I've accepted the fact that I was a beta tester this year but if Live 15 doesn't improve drastically, I'm done. Now, I'm able to pick and choose what I play and what I enjoy, I don't base my enjoyment off of reviews or how many gamers are playing the game. Hands down, 14 is the easier game to pick up and enjoy, no VC, no server issues, just a game of ball (albeit flawed). I'm not a sheep being led to the slaughter, I see the issues with 14, but it's still my most played game on next-gen. I can't speak for the other guys that have positive things to say about the game but it's totally possible that people actually enjoy it.

# 25 Cusefan @ 02/24/14 06:02 PM
This actually answers a question that has riddled mankind for as long as we have been around. Since apparently someone has noticed EA doesn't update rosters for a game no one plays, one can only assume a tree makes a noise when it falls.

# 26 blackceasar @ 02/24/14 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosey101
Okay Black Caesar, I guess I am one of those "guys" you're talking about. Now, no disrespect, I totally get what you're saying and you're right, it's inexcusable how they have treated Live 14 and the gamers who bought it this year. I think this game has gaping issues and if they don't come out swinging in 15, I'm done. I do enjoy 14 though, when it plays good it's fun, but it obviously has nothing on 2k. Each game plays differently and when live 14 starts to take a step forward with me, it takes two back. There really isn't an excuse for their lack of updating even the most simplest of things. I listen to some of the interviews the guy does about 14 and man, you would think this last patch was revolutionary, he seems to have an issue with people criticizing the game and refers to them as "haters", haters, seriously? Bro, guys can't even update the rosters after the freaking trade deadline. I've accepted the fact that I was a beta tester this year but if Live 15 doesn't improve drastically, I'm done. Now, I'm able to pick and choose what I play and what I enjoy, I don't base my enjoyment off of reviews or how many gamers are playing the game. Hands down, 14 is the easier game to pick up and enjoy, no VC, no server issues, just a game of ball (albeit flawed). I'm not a sheep being led to the slaughter, I see the issues with 14, but it's still my most played game on next-gen. I can't speak for the other guys that have positive things to say about the game but it's totally possible that people actually enjoy it.
Oh it might very well be your most played game on Next Gen. I'm just saying you have to speak with your wallet. If you keep paying (at least full price for it), this time next year we can just copy and paste the whole NBA Live thread, name it 15 and swap out anywhere anyone says 14 and use 15 instead. Even if you cant help but drop 60.00 on it at least then speak with your voice. I'm serious. Even if you say "I'm so sick of Live, but I'm still playing it" is like telling your overweight friend who's a cheeseburger away from a heart attack "man, you just husky, you aint fat".

I'm not saying I wont play 14... I've played the full and *giggle* updated version at my boy's house HOWEVER I won't play 60.00 for it..and to be honest I regret paying full price for 2k as well. Granted 2k could warrant the full price tag from a business perspective because they know they have clearly been in the lead for the past 4-5 years now. But that's besides the point.

My frustration is NOT knowing 100% for sure why Live winds up being so BLANTANTLY bad. I mean I know WHY, but I want to know WHY internally at EA. Why is it that Madden is at least starting to turn the corner (still got a lot of work to do, but its not AWFUL), NHL is freakin'g awesome minus a few things here and there, and FIFA is incredible... so I'm seriously dying to know just wtf is going on with the Live team. I mean are they really just bad at making this game and really think they know what they are doing? I mean if thats the case, I'm okay with that. It's sorta like the girl who auditions for American Idol and Simon would tell her "you can't sing" and she flips out (not a staged thing but genuinely flips out) because she TRULY believed she was a good singer. At this point I just want to know WTF is going on with that team at EA Sports.

I want live to be GOOD.. not good but GREAT. Not because I'm an EA Sports fan.. because I'm not. I'm a fan of some of their titles... I don't just blanket my alliegeince to a publisher like that. But I want the game to be great so 2k will be like "awww sheeeeit! they brought their A game.. we gotta step it up..".. then 2k steps it up.. then Live steps it up..then I find myself trying to hussle someone out of another 60.00 so I can buy BOTH games.

# 27 scottyp180 @ 02/24/14 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ1976
I wish people would stop saying forget about Live 14 and move on to Live 15 because as consumers, we were promised something and we are not getting it. It's bad enough that we went out and bought Live 14 this year, considering it's not a next gen game, and paid full price for it. The least they can do in return is keep the game updated on a regular basis. Whoever made the decision to take the roster editor out of the game should be FIRED on the spot because their plan is not working. I even saw in a recent interview where the executive producer was still bragging about synergy, he should be fired too. We give Live a chance and this is the thanks we get, all you guys at EA can GTFOH as far as I'm concerned.
I hate to sound condesending but as consumers the people who bought live 14 should have waited and done research on the game before purchasing it. There was a demo out for the game so consumers could have played it before purchasing. Plus the reviews and impressions for the game weren't positive. The only people deceiving consumers to buy the game was EA and , no offense, I don't know why consumers would believe or trust EA considering they were unable to release a basketball game for 3 straight years. Not to mention that EA is notorious for promosing the world with their new sports titles and the under-delivering.

at this point not much can be done to salvage live 14. From what I here the last update helped a bit. Adding a roster editor and updating rosters would atleast make the game managable going forward. the focus should be on next years game because if live 15 arrives and doesn't deliver we may never see anither EA basketball sim again. I am crossing my fingers for a new nba street however.

# 28 loosey101 @ 02/24/14 06:22 PM
I feel you Black Cesar, competition is desperately needed in this sports genre! I'm with you though, there are times when I think, what the hell is going on down there in Orlando. If all sports games could take some cues from the NHL teams we would be golden!

# 29 DonWuan @ 02/24/14 06:28 PM
I knew teams werent getting updated at all. Happy someone did the research and found the answer.

This stuff is pathetic.

# 30 LingeringRegime @ 02/24/14 06:48 PM
It's just the first year of a 3 year plan. They will get all the ratings right next year and actually update them. They didn't have time this year.

:/

# 31 tbook24 @ 02/24/14 06:55 PM
there was so much other stuff broken on the game that they had to fix that rosters would be the last thing on the list.

# 32 shutdown10 @ 02/24/14 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
It's just the first year of a 3 year plan. They will get all the ratings right next year and actually update them. They didn't have time this year.

:/
They have lost the right to continue on with this excuse. How many 3 year plans have they scrapped already? Live 15 will be all about put up or shut up for them.

# 33 Walt Frazier @ 02/24/14 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

Of the 428 players currently included in NBA Live 14, just 32 players have received an overall rating adjustment since the game's November 19 release.

That means a meager 7% of the game's roster has been updated over the past 3 months.

Read More - NBA Live 14 Is Barely Updating Its Players

As I have said several times, this has been a (barely) half hearted effort if we are being polite.

If we are being blunt, it's been an absolutely insulting pack of lies (hourly updates!) followed by absolutely zero effort.

# 34 King_B_Mack @ 02/24/14 07:48 PM
Not to pile on......but has anyone heard any new background music in the game? Remember when that was a touted feature?

# 35 tril @ 02/24/14 07:53 PM
simply put, EA didnt sell enough copies. I wouldnt be surprised if the live updates was suposed to be determined by the amounts of units sold. they probably sold enough units to possibly support 1/2 synergy updates a month.

# 36 Jano @ 02/24/14 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Not to pile on......but has anyone heard any new background music in the game? Remember when that was a touted feature?
Wow I was figuring that would be one thing they'd get right. smh

# 37 JBulls @ 02/24/14 08:43 PM
so are those who purchased the game entitled to full refunds due to false advertising?

# 38 regroc88 @ 02/24/14 11:33 PM
its not even better then live 10 so they went backwards lol madden 25 went backwards on next gen both games need to be Overhauled. I tell yall if I see these Same *** BUM Graphics next yr I sueing these Bastards its False Advertising. madden living world Bulll**** Bulll**** Bull**** EA

# 39 Toewsface @ 02/24/14 11:43 PM
And now you know what it's like to play NHL. EA still hasn't given us a decent roster and the games been out since September.

# 40 TjJunior @ 02/25/14 02:17 AM
EA Tiburon is really making their whole organization look bad. Its crazy to see how one branch, EA Canada, seems to be more determined to make a quality product. As in any family, you got the kid who makes A's and honor roll and you got the kid who lives in detention after class. At least with football they got a shot at making things right, Live is done. To me at least.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.