Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: The Best Lineups

Today I want to look at, what I think are, the best starting lineups in MLB and therefore in MLB 14: The Show. We're going to focus on the top five most dangerous lineups to face as a pitcher. We'll look at the strengths and also any potential weaknesses of the lineups. So without further ado, let's go!

5. New York Yankees – With an off-season shopping spree in New York that included new starting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, the Bronx Bombers also spent a lot of money to improve their starting lineup. The additions of Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann and Brian Roberts headline the improvements. Here is the Yankees 2014 starting lineup, as projected by ZIPS on March 3, 2014.

OF Jacoby Ellsbury
SS Derek Jeter
OF Carlos Beltran
1B Mark Teixeira
C Brain McCann
DH Alfonso Soriano
OF Brett Gardner
3B Kelly Johnson
2B Brian Roberts

That leaves Ichiro Suzuki as the best pinch hitter off the bench. That's a pretty good lineup when you consider what kind of season each player is capable of having. Obviously the departure of Robinson Cano leaves a huge void. The addition of Brian Roberts adds gap-to-gap power, but can't possibly make up for the power and RBI ability that Cano brought. Curtis Granderson also departs while Ellsbury comes over to fill his offensive void. The loss of Alex Rodriguez's bat can't be ignored. Kelly Johnson will have his hands full trying to produce at the hot corner.

4. Los Angeles Angels – This off-season saw the addition of Raul Ibanez, David Freese, and Carlos Pena to a roster that was already a nightmare for opposing pitchers. Every baseball fan knows Mike Trout, but so much of this team's fortunes rely on Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton having strong campaigns. Last year, this team looked poised to set offensive records, but Pujols was bogged down by injuries, and Hamilton's numbers were down across the board. Here is the Angels 2014 starting lineup, as projected by ZIPS on March 3, 2014.

SS Erick Aybar
OF Mike Trout
1B Albert Pujols
OF Josh Hamilton
3B David Freese
DH Raul Ibanez
2B Howie Kendrick
OF Kole Calhoun
C Chris Iannetta

That makes Pena the best option off the bench for a pinch-hit at bat. If everyone plays as well as they are capable of, the Angels will be underrated at No. 4 on this list. The departure of Mark Trumbo certainly hurts from a loss of power perspective, but the Angels hope the 42-year-old Ibanez can fill that void. Top prospect Kole Calhoun also looks to make a splash for the Halos, as he's expected to be an everyday player.

3. Atlanta Braves – While the Atlanta Braves didn't make any significant additions to the lineup for 2014 -- and they loss of McCann -- this team still has the potential to be one of the best lineups in all of baseball. Much of that will depend on the ability of Evan Gattis to play every day behind the plate, and the capability of both B.J. and Justin Upton to have bounce-back seasons after struggling in 2013. The Braves have potentially, one of the best outfields in the big leagues. Chris Johnson's emergence last season at third base helped soften the blow from the retirement of Chipper Jones, and Freddie Freeman is becoming one of the best young hitters in the game. Here is the Braves 2014 starting lineup, as projected by ZIPS on March 3, 2014.

OF Jason Heyward
OF Justin Upton
1B Freddie Freeman
C Evan Gattis
3B Chris Johnson
SS Andrelton Simmons
2B Dan Uggla
OF B.J. Upton
Pitcher's Spot

That leaves Ryan Doumit as the the first option off the bench for Atlanta. Jason Heyward's health will also be a hot topic for Braves fans. This lineup has everything you fear if you are an opposing pitcher: Great L/R balance, power and speed. If Andrelton Simmons continues to improve as he's expected to, this lineup gets that much scarier as an opposing pitcher. Uggla is a bit all-or-nothing in his approach but he can give you that homer you need in the clutch.

2. Baltimore Orioles – Very few teams in MLB can match this lineup on paper. The addition of Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young to an already stacked roster should sound air raid alarms for opposing pitchers. Third baseman Manny Machado had a horrific injury late last season, but he's expected to make a full recovery and be back for the 2014 season at some point. That's great news for any fan of baseball. Looking over this lineup, there are no real holes if they get healthy and stay healthy. Here is the Orioles starting lineup, as projected by ZIPS as of March 3, 2014.

OF Nick Markakis
3B Ryan Flaherty
1B Chris Davis
OF Adam Jones
OF Nelson Cruz
C Matt Wieters
SS J.J. Hardy
DH Nolan Reimold
2B Jemile Weeks

That leaves Young as the best bat off the bench. Once Machado heals and joins the lineup, Flaherty will also be a great bench bat. Chris “Crush” Davis has potential to go after the home run record again this season with the added protection of Cruz in the lineup. One of the weaknesses of this lineup, lack of speed, was somewhat addressed with the addition of Jemile Weeks. He and Adam Jones still represent the only real speed threats on the bases for Baltimore and that's a potential problem. Baltimore has strong roster depth, and once Machado is healthy, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

1. Los Angeles Dodgers – When you're lineup is so stacked that Matt Kemp could actually come off the bench, you know you have one of the best lineups in baseball. The Dodgers made headlines last season with the additions of Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Hanley Ramirez and the emergence of rookie phenom Yasiel Puig. This season doesn't bring the same roster turnover excitement and the Dodgers main players are now known commodities. However, the money was spent and this team is loaded with stars. Let's look at the Dodgers 2014 starting lineup, as projected by ZIPS on March 3, 2014.

OF Yasiel Puig
OF Carl Crawford
SS Hanley Ramirez
1B Adrian Gonzalez
OF Matt Kemp
3B Juan Uribe
C A.J. Ellis
Pitcher's Spot

That leaves Andre Either to platoon in the outfield and be maybe the best bench bat in the league assuming that Kemp does start, as ZIPS projects. Seriously, where is the weakness here? Speed? Check. Power? Check. Guys that can get on base and set the table? Check! The Dodgers are one of the favorites to make it to the World Series in 2014, and the amazing starting pitching isn't the only reason. This lineup looks like an All-Star team and Uribe is a very capable hitter (ZIPS projects a .293 average this season). Only the very best pitchers in Major League Baseball will be able to consistently compete with this starting lineup.

1a. Texas Rangers – When a playoff team that was in the World Series two seasons ago goes out in the off-season and adds Prince Fielder, Shin-Soo Choo, and J.P. Arencibia you know they are serious about winning it all. Considering the Rangers already had one of the most feared lineups in all of baseball last season, this season's edition is legit scary. Texas lost Ian Kinsler in the trade to acquire Fielder, but they have Jurickson Profar armed and ready to take over at second base full time in 2014. Mitch Moreland will be a strong and steady DH. The loss of Nelson Cruz will be more than made up for by Choo and Fielder's added production. This is in my opinion, the best lineup in MLB. Here is the Rangers 2014 starting lineup, as projected by ZIPS on March 3, 2014.

OF Shin-Soo Choo
SS Elvis Andrus
1B Prince Fielder
3B Adrian Beltre
OF Alex Rios
DH Mitch Moreland
C Geovany Soto
2B Jurickson Profar
OF Leonys Martin

Wow. That leaves Texas with Michael Choice and J.P. Arencibia as option 1a and 1b off the bench. Power, speed, a great mix of veterans and younger players, hitting from both sides of the plate, I mean how do you attack this lineup? Alex Rios seems to be back in form if last season's run with the Rangers is any indication and Choo brings an incredible ability to get on base whether by hitting, taking a walk, or being hit by pitch.

OK, so I cheated and gave you six lineups. I honestly can't decide which lineup is more dangerous; the Dodgers or the Rangers? So Operation Sports, help me out. Which offensive starting lineup do you think is the best? Dodgers or Rangers? Or maybe I totally missed the mark and one of the other teams has the most dangerous lineup?

You tell me, sound off in the comments and let me know what I missed!

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 og236 @ 03/07/14 11:16 AM
As a yankee fan, our lineup will be scary if they remain healthy! But also, the Dodgers & Rangers lineups' are ridiculous good

# 2 Jgrillo5 @ 03/07/14 11:33 AM
The only two that belong in that top 5 are the Dodgers and the Rangers. The orioles have a bunch of question marks and guys who could absolutely bust, the Yankees most likely will not even have that lineup because at least 2 of them will be injured, the only sure thing in the Angel's lineup is Trout, everyone else is injury plagued, unproven or bad, and the braves are o.k but bj upton has been bad and Simmons can't hit or get on base and Gattis still needs to prove he can be an everyday Cather and still be a good hitter
My Top 5:
5. Tigers (best hitter in the MLB in Cabrera with some other really solid veterans and young players.
4. Red Sox (solid consistent names with a couple young players capable of Rookie of the Year)
3. Cardinals (to me they have one question mark at 2nd base otherwise they have a very complete lineup with good depth, versatility and a lot of talent).
2. Rangers (they have good names that if they put out their above average seasons it could be extremely dangerous
1. Dodgers (multiple MVP candidates, and solid players throughout the lineup)

# 3 godylla @ 03/07/14 11:41 AM
I'm not too sure about the lineups, but this forum did need more pictures of Joe Namath, what a great picture! New York playboys, past and present!

# 4 SVCbearcat10 @ 03/07/14 12:06 PM
Not sure why everyone thinks the Yankees lineup is so good. Texeiria is a huge question mark, he didn't even play 20 games last year. Jeter is old and didn't play last year. Gardner and Ellsbury are just average hitters, not much power. Plus they are injury prone. McCann's play will be key, he's their lone power source. Beltran should be regressing soon because of his age. He won't be bad but he isn't the Beltran when he joined St. Louis. Soriano and Roberts will hit around .250 at best. Kelly Johnson is just okay.

Yes, they have some big names but Tigers and Cardinals have much better lineups. They will benefit from their ratings being inflated because of who they WERE and their NAME, but where they are today.

# 5 TGov @ 03/07/14 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrillo5
The only two that belong in that top 5 are the Dodgers and the Rangers. The orioles have a bunch of question marks and guys who could absolutely bust, the Yankees most likely will not even have that lineup because at least 2 of them will be injured, the only sure thing in the Angel's lineup is Trout, everyone else is injury plagued, unproven or bad, and the braves are o.k but bj upton has been bad and Simmons can't hit or get on base and Gattis still needs to prove he can be an everyday Cather and still be a good hitter
My Top 5:
5. Tigers (best hitter in the MLB in Cabrera with some other really solid veterans and young players.
4. Red Sox (solid consistent names with a couple young players capable of Rookie of the Year)
3. Cardinals (to me they have one question mark at 2nd base otherwise they have a very complete lineup with good depth, versatility and a lot of talent).
2. Rangers (they have good names that if they put out their above average seasons it could be extremely dangerous
1. Dodgers (multiple MVP candidates, and solid players throughout the lineup)
This is more of what I expected...
No disrespect to the Yanks even though Im a Sox fan but their lineup isnt all that scary. I mean it can be pretty potent but it's not consistent, is very injury plagued and is still pretty old... Imagine if they didnt make these huge signings this offseason, with these additions it only makes them above-average but not elite by any means...

The Red Sox deserve to be in the top 5 not because they won or anything but purely because of there consistency and discipline.
The Tigers and Cards have the middle spot IMO, I dont get how neither are on the list.
The Dodgers and Ranger deserve to top this list easily.

The Angels, Braves and Os just have too many questions, if you wanna play the "on paper" game then they MIGHT scratch the top 5. Again, they all have great lineup but dont most team depending on how you look at it and the potential they carry?...

# 6 ahamsterman @ 03/07/14 12:57 PM
this is clearly flawed, orioles lineup is overrated here, numbers pumped by small park/AL East

# 7 fdr216 @ 03/07/14 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamsterman
this is clearly flawed, orioles lineup is overrated here, numbers pumped by small park/AL East
The orioles have a good balance of talented young stars and veterans in the line up that can rival any team in baseball.

# 8 tessl @ 03/07/14 01:25 PM
A distinction should be made between AL and NL lineups. The DH is a major factor.

St Louis is loaded, they are certainly among the top 2 or 3 in the NL.

A discussion of worst lineups would also be interesting. The Marlins would be contenders for that dubious award.

# 9 aguero90 @ 03/07/14 01:32 PM
As long as the Yanks stay healthy, and the players play up to expectations, this will be one of the best lineups. The 3 switch hitters will make matchups a lot harder. The only thing I'd change with your lineup is Gardner, he'll bat 9th.

# 10 WB1214 @ 03/07/14 01:57 PM
As far as on the Show, this will probably be a close list to how it actually is.

# 11 Factzzz @ 03/07/14 01:58 PM
Blue Jays have the best lineup, if you looked at OPS as a lineup the blue jays were probably one of the higher ones.

Their pitching is another story.

# 12 mikeq672 @ 03/07/14 02:15 PM
Everyone thinks their team should be higher, shocker. It is very easy to pick apart any team on any persons list.

The sox shouldnt be on here as they lost their table setter in Ellsbury, Victorino is due for regression, youre starting two young unproven guys at third and short, another in center, its doubtful Daniel Nava repeats, Pierzynski cant be any better than Salty was. Ortiz is going to eventually breakdown.

See how easy that was?

# 13 Scott @ 03/07/14 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Everyone thinks their team should be higher, shocker. It is very easy to pick apart any team on any persons list.

The sox shouldnt be on here as they lost their table setter in Ellsbury, Victorino is due for regression, youre starting two young unproven guys at third and short, another in center, its doubtful Daniel Nava repeats, Pierzynski cant be any better than Salty was. Ortiz is going to eventually breakdown.

See how easy that was?
You must be a blast at parties..

# 14 mikeq672 @ 03/07/14 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
You must be a blast at parties..
You have 14,000 posts on a video game message board, you must not get to parties much

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, that was all in good fun.

# 15 MrChainsaw @ 03/07/14 05:58 PM
I found the weakness in the Dodger lineup: that gaping hole at 2nd base.

# 16 ShowTyme15 @ 03/07/14 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChainsaw
I found the weakness in the Dodger lineup: that gaping hole at 2nd base.
Dee Gordon has been playing well this spring and is probably going to win the job. Guerrero is starting to hit, but needs work on Defense.

# 17 aguero90 @ 03/07/14 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
The Yankees hahahaha ya right, theyre entire infield is a joke
Now how do you figure that? If they stay healthy, there's no reason they won't be productive. Yes Johnson at 3B isn't an all-star, you don't need an all-star at every position. I don't understand how you can call it a joke. I take it you're not a Yankees fan. Of course they have to stay on the field, but if they do, they'll be fine.

# 18 cardinalbird5 @ 03/07/14 07:20 PM
Yeah let's leave the team that led the NL in runs scored off the list lol.

# 19 Birdman18 @ 03/07/14 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Dee Gordon has been playing well this spring and is probably going to win the job. Guerrero is starting to hit, but needs work on Defense.
He's referring to the fact that the author left out the Dodgers 2nd baseman completely from his list

# 20 Aggies7 @ 03/07/14 09:02 PM
A little shocked to see the Orioles in the top 5. Good line up, I agree with, but not Top 5. Especially without Manny Machado.

Just my opinion.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.