Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K14: My GM Virtual Currency Rewards Slashed by 40%

Earlier this week, NBA 2K14 quietly installed a server-side update that has reduced the amount of virtual currency PlayStation 4 and Xbox One gamers receive for completing owner goals in the My GM game mode.

All season milestones which had previously awarded 200 VC and 250 VC, such as selling out 32 home games or winning the NBA championship, will now yield just 100 VC once they are completed.

It is unclear whether this reduction is a temporary, unintentional bug or a permanent "fix" designed to curb the productivity of virtual currency "farmers."

Forum speculation supports that second theory, as developer Visual Concepts is undoubtedly aware that NBA 2K14's most popular user-created roster file, "Youtube: Doogshere," currently has 356,488 downloads on the PlayStation 4 -- almost twice the amount of the next most popular roster, "Official w/Transactions 3/19" (186,601 downloads).

The latter file's creator, iTofutastic, has been offering up-to-date transactions alongside the 2013-2014 NBA season. His foil, TheDoooogs, has simply placed Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson, Julius Erving, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal and Bill Russell onto the Oklahoma City Thunder, while tossing every other team's superstar players into free agency.

Prior to this week, simulating a season with the "Youtube: Doogshere" roster would typically produce 1,850 VC:
  • 200 VC -- Sell out 32 home games.
  • 200 VC -- Finish first in division.
  • 200 VC -- Finish first in conference.
  • 200 VC -- Reach top 10 in attendance.
  • 200 VC -- Don't let team chemistry drop below 67%.
  • 100 VC -- Sweep your playoff opponent.
  • 200 VC -- Reach the conference finals.
  • 250 VC -- Win the NBA championship.
  • 100 VC -- Release or trade Karl Malone.
  • 100 VC -- Hire an assistant GM with the recruiter badge.
  • 100 VC -- Hire an assistant coach with a "B" or better defense rating.
Now that all goals give 100 VC, regardless of their difficulty, a typical season's earnings have dropped to just 1,100 VC.

This week's My GM changes are not the first time that Visual Concepts has adjusted NBA 2K14's in-game reward systems. What's alarming, is how every change the company has made thus far has negatively impacted the game's fans.

Back in January, Visual Concepts decided to alter My Team's Domination mode so that team card packs could only be earned once. During NBA 2K14's first two months on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, gamers could replay Domination games and continue earning team packs endlessly. That sudden change drew pages of criticism from upset My Team players.

My Team's gold tournament rewards have also declined in value since NBA 2K14 launched, as the 5,200 My Team points you could have earned during the game's opening months have now diminished to 4,500 MT.

Most upsetting, is how Visual Concepts continues to tilt NBA 2K14's economy while ignoring actual game issues like players with no shot feedback, disappearing player contracts and dysfunctional signature skills.

Whereas developers like Turn 10 Studios, makers of Forza Motorsport 5, were quick to pacify the public's outcry that a $60 retail game could employ free-to-play mechanics, unnecessary paywalls and an unbalanced marketplace, Visual Concepts, at least for NBA 2K14, seems content to ignore its critics and continue mining its newfound streams of real currency.

Do you believe that NBA 2K14's reward system is playing fair or committing a foul? Make the call in the comments below.

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 King_B_Mack @ 03/21/14 10:45 AM
Unacceptable. Completely unacceptable on their part. They better enjoy it while they can because they've burned a whole lot of bridges this year.

# 2 asu666 @ 03/21/14 10:52 AM
I'm not surprised. NBA 2K14 is the most disappointing game I've played in a long time. I wish I'd never went on blind faith and preordered it, but the slick trailers, lack of information on some critical changes, and series' excellent past, led me into the trap. I won't make the same mistake again this year.

# 3 jaosming @ 03/21/14 11:11 AM
I was wondering what happened last night....I've been on-and-off playing MyGM and won the championship last night in my 4th year...I didn't notice any expected "jump" in VC for winning it all, just for the game.

# 4 Smith146 @ 03/21/14 11:15 AM
It's amazing to look at how nba 2k started on the Dreamcast to what they are doing now in which pure game sales isn't nearly enough.

# 5 knick9 @ 03/21/14 11:20 AM
Thanks for writing this, it's just another smack in the face. I guarantee that the overwhelming majority of people who "farm" have also spent way more actual money on this game than they would want to admit. The whole reason for farming is that the VC reward system is way out of balance--which of course is intentional so you are practically forced to buy VC to get deep into a mode like MyTeam.

I just read this morning that the winner of the Million VC giveaway couldn't even get the current 30 players he needed to unlock the diamond Lebron award! Think about it--1,000,000 VC isn't enough to get 30 current players you want...

The sad thing is they've changed the reward but are too cowardly to announce that they have and too lazy to change the graphic that now tells you the wrong amount. Pathetic.

Amazing how any part of the game that unintentionally benefits the consumer is quickly fixed while countless other problems will be ignored.

# 6 onac22 @ 03/21/14 11:34 AM
I quit playing it like a month in because of the virtual currency and all of the online requirements. Shame it is a great looking game.

Also growing tired of 2k and EA locking up all the uniforms and equipment on the games. I feel it is ok to lkokc up things like extra gm funds or a future star. But don't lock up the uniforms we as gamers pay 60 bucks for already. It is very close to bait and switch tactics.

# 7 Cowboy008 @ 03/21/14 11:44 AM
Traded it in towards the Show a while ago

# 8 AirJordanFan93 @ 03/21/14 11:55 AM
What a load of bull. Im really at the breaking point with this game. Odds are in gonna trade it in towards Madden 25. I really hope 2K ditches this VC server crap with 2K15 its doubtful but I hope the negative response to their approach for the PS4 and Xbox One leads them to the right direction. I don't want to be siding with NBA Live for my PS4 basketball fix.

# 9 Turtlemayor @ 03/21/14 12:09 PM
Yeah, this is the final straw for me. At this rate next year it will probably be 10 VC for winning the championship and an arm sleeve will cost you 20,000. I don't know what they're thinking with this change so late in the season, it's like a flashing neon sign that says AVOID 2K15. This is bad for business, bad for the players, honestly bad for everyone.

# 10 The 24th Letter @ 03/21/14 12:21 PM
Man I've been having a ridiculous amount of fun with this game...especially lately...but jeez man, if sucks to hear stuff Like this....who is making these decisions?

# 11 Vni @ 03/21/14 12:30 PM
That's one pathetic move. How did you become so cheap 2K?

# 12 VDusen04 @ 03/21/14 01:00 PM
My goodness. Initially I thought this meant the cost of all products had been slashed by 40% (making it easier to buy an accessory in two of your team colors) but to read they actually reduced awards in some areas... unbelievable. It almost makes me think they're completely alright with their VC system, which would absolutely disastrous for everyone else.

I'm assuming this has to do with some sort of glitching folks were likely attempting to execute, yielding virtual currency at a rate that allowed them to actually acquire, say, the rights to negotiate with free agents (amongst other overpriced items and rights) without having to grind endlessly for days on end?

# 13 ERA @ 03/21/14 01:26 PM
Trading 2K in after school. I've had it with VC.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

# 14 kadzier @ 03/21/14 02:06 PM
WTF? If anything they should be giving us MORE VC payout, not less!!

Seriously, W. T. F.

# 15 Goffs @ 03/21/14 02:06 PM
Oh boy I'm looking forward to the inevitable VC slash for quick games!

# 16 jaateloauto @ 03/21/14 02:08 PM
Are you serious? The amount of VC you make already isn't enough to send players to camps or upgrading your MyGM abilities and your coach gets upset over you not spending VC every season.

I once signed a new coach, couldn't draft the player he wanted and didn't agree to spend VC on a training camp. He resigned before the season started without coaching a single game on my squad! That to me is a big middle finger to my face from 2K.

You get 1000+ VC from signing into a useless phone app every day. Why isn't the amount you actually spend playing the game treated with the same respect?

# 17 kadzier @ 03/21/14 02:12 PM
Doesn't 2K realize the reason people were farming VC in the first place was because they rewards they ALREADY gave you weren't enough to buy the laughably overpriced gear and basic game actions that should have been free?

It's like they are completely oblivious to the root of the problem.. or worse, don't give a damn and are only concerned with profits and not user enjoyment

# 18 knick9 @ 03/21/14 02:29 PM
They don't realize how much farming sucks in the first place. Nobody would do it if there was a sensible alternative.

# 19 Magnus1959 @ 03/21/14 02:47 PM
I really think they are going to call our bluff and gamble that most people will buy the game anyway. This is really affecting me because I have rheumatoid arthritis and I've really been playing hard trying to earn VC through games. My hands are a mess right now because of this.

# 20 Pezell04x @ 03/21/14 03:02 PM
Well I was thinking of getting this game on ebay. Not even worth it anymore.

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.