Home
Feature Article
Four Reasons to Play Out of the Park Baseball

Thanks to their consistently quality work and continued updates, Out of the Park Developments routinely produces a super product in Out of the Park Baseball. Out of the Park 15 looks to be the latest iteration of one of the highest rated games here at Operations Sports.

If you haven’t tried this text sim before -- and if OOTP's quality continues its upward trend -- here are four reasons to give OOTP 15 a shot...

Flexibility: Like most text sims, the most basic way to play OOTP “out of the box” is to take the reigns of a current MLB team as its General Manager. Doing so will put you in charge of all aspects of the organization, from lineups to minor league rosters. Of course, with a few tweaks and settings, there are nearly infinite ways to play OOTP. For instance, you can limit yourself to the role of a manager, turning over roster control to your AI GM. This is especially challenging at a low level minor league team, when your players are regularly snatched away as soon as they are productive.

Or, reverse that scenario: Become a GM, but leave all lineup and rotation decisions to your managers. This can be frustrating, but realistic: your new manager might have the crazy idea to platoon your aging star with a huge contract.

I like to play as a manager looking for a job, only taking those offered at the beginning of a new game. These tend to be small market and/or low-level teams; with success, you may find yourself climbing the ladder to become a major league manager, or even GM. This method takes a lot of patience (and usually a lot of simulation), but is really rewarding over the long term.

These methods don’t begin to scratch the surface of what’s available, especially with new international leagues, fictional universes, and the large selection of historical seasons. I never feel like I fully explore all that the game has to offer, simply because there is so much to try.

3D Animations: For years, OOTP has simulated games with basic animations: essentially a ball moving on a 2D plane. While impressive animations aren’t what text sims are usually about, more complex representations add realism and build tension while watching in-game simulations.

For the first time, Out of the Park 15 will dabble in 3D animation, specifically in its handling of ball-flight and park environments.

While we have no idea whether this first attempt at 3D will work (and if it doesn’t, it can be switched off), it will be neat to see the trajectory of each hit through a virtual space, as opposed to the flat animation of years past.

Realism: It’s always fun to simulate a season, and then compare with the actual results. OOTP fairs as well as most in this regard, but adds in twists rarely seen in console baseball sims.

Don’t be surprised to see a news story indicating the passing of a team owner or an odd injury caused off the field. Your low-ball contract extensions may cause your star to shut down negotiations. You may be able to scam the AI during a trade, but it is much more likely they are ripping you off, especially if you don't scout like you should.

Ratings play a part here as well, and have been improved in 2014 to more accurately represent potential/skill by position. It’s neat to see the stud you drafted No. 1 turn into the next Mike Trout; it’s equally depressing to see that pick turn out to be a career AAA player.

To borrow a phrase from EA, if it’s in the game, it’s (probably) in this game. Not sure about instant replay, though.

Fun: I’ve used the before comparison in my reviews, but OOTP is as addictive, challenging, and pure fun as Sid Meier’s Civilization, my all-time (sports or otherwise) favorite game franchise. There’s a “one more turn” quality in both of these titles that will leave you wondering why it’s suddenly 2:00 a.m.

Again, f you’ve never played a text sim before, Out of the Park 15 looks to be a good place to start. Its flexibility, realism, new features like 3D animations, and unadulterated fun are unlike anything else in sports gaming.

Of course, if you have played OOTP before, you already know what to expect!

Now we just have to wait.

Member Comments
# 1 Knight165 @ 04/02/14 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

Thanks to their consistently quality work and continued updates, Out of the Park Developments routinely produces a super product in Out of the Park Baseball. Out of the Park 15 looks to be the latest iteration of one of the highest rated games here at Operation Sports.

If you haven’t tried this text sim before--and OOTP's quality continues its upward trend--here are four reasons to give OOTP 15 a shot...

Read More - Four Reasons to Play Out of the Park Baseball

Amen.
This is such an underrated game because it is a text based game IMO.
Once an Ipad version is available...I'm back into it.
The perfect "on the go" game!

M.K.
Knight165

# 2 mcmax3000 @ 04/02/14 10:43 AM
I've always been interested in trying this game out. Looks like the iPad version of last year's game is only $1.99 right now, so I might give that a shot, and see how I like it before taking the full price plunge on the desktop version.

# 3 MichaelAngeloTMNT @ 04/02/14 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmax3000
I've always been interested in trying this game out. Looks like the iPad version of last year's game is only $1.99 right now, so I might give that a shot, and see how I like it before taking the full price plunge on the desktop version.
Try out the past versions for Mac or PC. They are usually free and give you a basic understanding of how the game plays. I've been playing this since OOTP 10 and its by far the best GAME I have played. The first two years, I just played Offline games, but once I tried an online game, I was hooked. Online leagues are incredible. If you're a baseball fan and like the transaction side of it, try it out.

# 4 mcmax3000 @ 04/02/14 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngeloTMNT
Try out the past versions for Mac or PC. They are usually free and give you a basic understanding of how the game plays. I've been playing this since OOTP 10 and its by far the best GAME I have played. The first two years, I just played Offline games, but once I tried an online game, I was hooked. Online leagues are incredible. If you're a baseball fan and like the transaction side of it, try it out.
I didn't realize that they gave away the older versions on their site. If I like the iPad version (which I already bought, because $2), I might move up to 13 on desktop before spending the money on the newest version.

# 5 ven0m43 @ 04/02/14 02:50 PM
I have tons of fun playing it. I usually start off unemployed and then work myself up to a MLB GM. I usually set it up so my manager (comp) controls the lineups and minors. Then I spend the rest of the time trading or signing players, adjusting the roster, and managing injuries. After I build up a team I usually wait until my favorite team offers me a GM spot, or join one of the worst teams to build them up.

# 6 Gosens6 @ 04/02/14 04:24 PM
Played MLB 14 The Show today, turned it off after a few games and went back to OOTP 14. The amount of realism and detail in this game is unparalleled. Passing on purchasing MLB 14 this year in favor of OOTP 15. April 18th can't come soon enough!

# 7 Brandwin @ 04/02/14 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Played MLB 14 The Show today, turned it off after a few games and went back to OOTP 14. The amount of realism and detail in this game is unparalleled. Passing on purchasing MLB 14 this year in favor of OOTP 15. April 18th can't come soon enough!
They are totally different games.

OOTP is great. I always run into the same problem though - I mess with all the options and never really get a franchise going.

I've thought about being manager and working my way up, but it gets a bit frustrating at times managing A ball etc...

# 8 Knight165 @ 04/02/14 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf

OOTP is great. I always run into the same problem though - I mess with all the options and never really get a franchise going.

I've thought about being manager and working my way up, but it gets a bit frustrating at times managing A ball etc...
To me...the worst part of managing the minor league teams is the unrealistic amount of shuffling the CPU GM does...requiring you to redo your lineup and pitching staff every day.
I didn't play it that way in '13...so it may have been addressed(I don't think so though looking at other teams)....but that totally turned me off to "working up the ranks".

M.K.
Knight165

# 9 eMLBCommish @ 04/03/14 07:46 AM
Quote:

@DookieMowf - Try an online league. Nothing is more enjoyable than competing against others to see how your managerial skills are!

# 10 Gosens6 @ 04/03/14 09:09 AM
Quote:

I understand they're different games, and because of that, I prefer OOTP to MLB The Show to fill my baseball needs.

# 11 Benz87 @ 04/03/14 10:40 AM
Pumped for this to drop. I've purchased the past three years, definitely a must try for any baseball fan whether you consider yourself a big gamer or not. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but OOTP forum boards are fairly helpful and once the concept is grasped prepare to have hours of time go in a blink.

# 12 cv81 @ 04/04/14 11:50 AM
Thanks for covering OOTP, they really deserve all the PR they get.

# 13 fenwaymike @ 04/07/14 11:34 AM
OOTP 15 is coming out soon. Here is an interview with Markus Heinsohn about the new 3D features

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.