Home
Feature Article
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Reviewer Impressions

I approached this retail release of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil with some apprehension, as I've been having such a good time with the new generation of consoles and FIFA 14. Even with all of the pomp and circumstance added around these World Cup releases, going backwards in tech can seem kind of jarring. I'm happy to report that my initial time with the Xbox 360 version of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil has been positive, and I feel good about where the gameplay is at.

Make no mistake: this World Cup release is a decidedly "non-simulation" experience, from what I've played. You'll notice I didn't say "arcade" experience, as I don't feel the pendulum has swung that far, but the pace of the gameplay definitely seems snappier, creating more goal scenarios and quicker transitions. This, unfortunately, does appear to arrive at the expense of AI defenders being a bit suspect, but fast breakouts and runs down the wing do create excitement in the tournament setting.

I've noticed a distinct personality change for the ball when compared to next-gen FIFA 14, as everything feels a bit weightier, complete with a tweaked "thud" sound effect when passing and striking the ball. Shots feel like they have some density to them, and strikers can really boom in the shots when they get the time. This isn't to say that you won't see similar set-piece situations and goal-scoring scenarios as you do in FIFA 14, but there's just something about the release and whip of shots — and the movement of the ball in general — that has a more deliberate pace.

Headers still seem viable, but the recent versions' improvement to goalies as well as this specific release's adjustment to defensive heading has changed things up. Defenders now seem to square up better when dealing with crosses, and I found myself able to clear away certain centering lobs that may have caused me trouble in FIFA 14 on Xbox One. I'll have to play more to see if this bears out over the long run.

As said earlier, it also seems easier to go by defenders, especially with the ease at which players will collect the ball. With the first-touch physics not as apparent in this version, there's less bounce on the ball, and attackers can transition quickly to put on the pressure. All of this helps give the game a decidedly offensive pace, which may or may not float your boat. For my part, I took the change as an admission that this version isn't trying to win over any purists; it's going for the casual and mid-level fans.

The presentational aspects are certainly spruced up from the usual offering, with raucous crowds, wacky carnival costumes, unique camera cuts, coaches on the sidelines freaking out and even a couple of different radio shows in the menus that talk about your exploits (these seem pretty cool so far). Then again, all of this new bluster is really just offsetting the obvious drop in fidelity this version has compared to its next-gen pals, as the lack of proper anti-aliasing, higher resolution, uncompressed animations and high framerate really hurt the overall feel. Crowds look particularly last-gen, and the player faces and kits don't come close to what that new consoles have provided.

There are a lot of modes to explore in this release, which gives me some hope for the developers justifying the $60 price tag, but I'll have to get into them more to know how deep they go. Beyond the standard tournament mode, there is Road to FIFA World Cup, where you can take any of the 203 recognized FIFA countries through the qualifying process and into the tournament. Captain Your Country also returns, providing you the chance to use a custom or existing player to motivate your team to new heights (this game's Be-A-Pro mode, in other words). There's also a mode that will unlock during the real World Cup, giving you the opportunity to play out real-life scenarios and challenges.

Online offerings seem robust, with friendlies, Road to Rio (the new Seasons equivalent) and the World Cup tournament itself, which allows you to play the tournament itself and emerge from a group. EA Sports Football Club is also a big part of the game, as is the norm.

Outlook

While the action in 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil appears to be less simulation than some may want, it does appear to be going for a distinct feel that at least changes up the pace of play from the standard annual releases. There are plenty of modes on offer, and several of them show signs of having a reason for being there. We'll have to see whether that's enough to justify the double-dip, so look for the full review coming soon.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Videos
Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.