Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: Little Issues Hampering the Fun

Custom Cameras Will Not Save or Work Online

The ability to create customized batting and pitching cameras is an awesome, game-changing feature, whenever it is working properly. Right now, it is not.

Custom camera angles are not saving after the MLB 14: The Show application shuts down, forcing gamers to recreate their favorite viewpoints each time they load up the game.

While this appears to be a fixable bug, there is also a major design issue, which is the inability to use your custom cameras during online games. If PlayStation 3 titles like NHL 14 can successfully run online matches with 10 different skaters using 10 different custom perspectives, then there is no good reason why a simple one-on-one matchup on the PlayStation 4 cannot do the same.

Choppy Frame Rate

If you're playing MLB 14 The Show with "broadcast" presentation turned on, you've likely noticed the large frame rate dips during the game's transitional cutscenes. You'd think the PlayStation 4's processor would be able to handle a close-up shot of two or three player models in the same frame, so hopefully, this is just an optimization an issue that can be resolved in a future title update.

Gamers playing the Road to the Show mode, which can suffer from a decreased frame rate during live gameplay at certain fielding positions, have no option but to wait for a patch.

For everyone else, the only current workaround is to enable "fast play" presentation, which skips past these slideshows entirely.

Contact Swings are Overpowered

The "contact swing" (circle button) is supposed to be a way for batters to protect the plate whenever they have two strikes and are in danger of striking out.

In MLB 14: The Show, however, contact swings have become good for much more than just fouling off pitches or blooping singles into open gaps; they are just as capable of producing towering home runs.

I can live with muscle men like Ryan Howard or Jose Bautista occasionally powering a contact swing past the fences, but it makes no sense that lightweights like Ben Revere and José Reyes are also able to hits homers with the circle button.

Steals Are too Easy; Pick-Offs are too Difficult

While human pitchers have access to three different types of pick-off throws, the "quick" and "casual" commands are rarely successful, especially against baserunners who have been instructed to "steal on motion" (tap L2). The "deceptive" pick-off is even less effective, as it's more likely to cause a fielding error than to catch a greedy baserunner.

Throwing a pitch-out to the catcher (L1 + X) is also ineffective against human baserunners, as the pitch-out animation is noticeably different from a normal throw, making it easy for the runner to hit the "go back" button (R1) as soon as he sees the animation begin.

Increasing pick-off success, decreasing pick-off overthrows, and making the pitch-out animation less distinguishable from a normal pitch would all help to balance MLB 14: The Show's baserunning, which currently favors the offense over the defense.

Community Challenges Ruined by Long Loading Times and Rigged Reward Systems

During MLB 14 The Show's opening week, lengthy loading times were hurting every game mode. Thankfully, Community Challenges are now the only area of the game that's still taking too long to load.

Walk-off scenarios that can be beaten in 10 seconds of gameplay require a full minute of loading before the game is ready for you to swing the bat. Add another 30 seconds of waiting around every time you need to retry a failed event.

Even if you can stand the constant loading, the majority of affordable events cost the same amount of stubs to enter as they reward if you win, making most challenges pointless, if your goal is to gain stubs.

Online Franchise Games Failing to Register

Nothing sours a night of gaming like finishing an hour-long match, only to realize that your game did not count and will not be recorded due to a server error.

The NBA 2K, Madden NFL and NCAA Football series have all dealt with similar issues in their online franchise modes, and now, MLB 14: The Show will also need to figure out what's preventing these matches from registering consistently. Otherwise, few gamers will want to waste their leisure time playing games that may or may not count.

Local Multiplayer Needs More Pitch Cursor Options

"Couch multiplayer" has been making a comeback in recent months, thanks to fun releases like Sportsfriends, TowerFall Ascension, Samurai Gunn and Nidhogg.

MLB 14: The Show does not belong on that list, until it includes an option to hide the pitch cursor's yellow breaking ball tick marks.

Since your friend can tell the exact type of pitch you've prepared just by looking at the yellow markers on the TV screen, the pitcher/batter duel begins to feel as if the pitcher is equipped with an empty water pistol, while the batter has a loaded RPG.

Disabling the pitch cursor entirely is the only way to keep friends guessing, but that option still leaves the pitcher at a significant disadvantage, since he cannot see where he's aiming his throws.

[

Batting Interface Lacks a Ball Icon

Speaking of pitch cursors, MLB 14: The Show could greatly reduce the frustrations of its "zone" hitting style if there was an on-screen icon that represented the ball from the time it left the pitcher's hand to the time it crosses the plate. Presently, the ball's location only appears on screen once it's inside the catcher's mitt.

Baseball titles from Konami, SEGA, Nintendo, EA Sports, Acclaim, etc., have all offered this method of hitting, yet Sony's MLB: The Show series still does not.

Baserunning Controls Need a Middle Ground

Fully automated baserunning and fully manual baserunning should not be baseball gamers' only choices.

Players who have experienced Konami's Pro Yakyuu Spirits and Power Pros series know what an excellent alternative the "lead baserunner only" control scheme can be.

When commanding only the lead baserunner, you still get that feeling of being in charge, without having to micro-managing two to four players at once using complicated button inputs.

Additionally, this option could become the default online baserunning method for MLB 14: The Show, providing a nice balance between total computer control and total user control.

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 amedeo @ 05/26/14 11:50 PM
an issue i have with this game is that their is no way at least that i have found that in franchise you can find a players career full stats besides the main 4 on the player card. like i would like to go for career stolen bases records or see how many career innings a pitcher has at the end. if anyone knows how to find these stats please respond thanks.

# 82 stockdogg @ 05/27/14 01:28 AM
1) Where are the righty/lefty splits you could easily see in last years version? MORE STATS PLEASE!!! How about more standing stats, like extra inning record, record when leading after certain innings, batters avg on certain counts (ala MLB2K), avg pitches per inning for pitchers, and pitches per at bat for hitter. How hard would a little more stats be? I dont care for all these ISO performance stats, I want to see Baseball Reference stats

2) being able to save custom camera angles (far second to MORE STATS! )
3) Each team needs to invest in an iron. The wrinkles on some of the jerseys are a bit too much. Am I the only that thinks the wrinkles are a tad overdone?

# 83 bfindeisen @ 05/27/14 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
There are plenty of ways to take your time yourself, without weighing down the game with extended cut scenes and making the pitcher stand on the mound for 15 seconds between pitches.

You can call time (down on the d-pad), you can press R3 to get the batter's perspective, you can hold R2, L3. You can press Options to pause, or the touchpad as well.

Lots of ways to slow the game down...
What you have described is a workaround. I see no reason why someone should have to do that when there has always been an option to further slow down the CPU between pitches. It's an option...it only affects those who switch it on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
Right there with you, pal. It would be nice if the human controlled fielding would be the same as the AI. Example: ball hit along the left field line. The left fielder goes over to get it. AI fielder grabs the ball, stops and throws. Human controlled fielder grabs the ball, does not stop running until he hit the wall, stops at the wall for a second, then without any urgency lobs the ball in. Same ball hit along the right field line is a triple for the CPU hitter. It's also very frustrating to be thrown out by the SS who is standing in short left field and then watching my SS from the same area double pump before throwing. More issues like balls hit between 2nd and first and watching the AI suck them up every time but my players won't even come close in a dive to make the play.
I gave up on fielding years ago. I've been using auto-fielding (with user-controlled throws) against the CPU for at least the last 4 years. It evens the playing field; now my players also magically know exactly where the ball is going to carom off the wall!

# 84 bwiggy33 @ 05/27/14 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
What you have described is a workaround. I see no reason why someone should have to do that when there has always been an option to further slow down the CPU between pitches. It's an option...it only affects those who switch it on...
Exactly! That's why it's so aggravating. I was honestly in shock when slow wasn't an option because The Show is probably the only sports game where they don't take options away, but rather continuously add new ones and keep what they already have. They are so good with this but it's just a shame it's not there. I know I keep on talking about this topic but it is really the only issue that is hurting this game for me. I posted it as a suggestion bug on The Show Nation and the guy who responded said they'd look into it for next year. I don't think it will make its return to the game via patch this year, nor did I expect it to.

# 85 NAFBUC @ 05/27/14 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Exactly! That's why it's so aggravating. I was honestly in shock when slow wasn't an option because The Show is probably the only sports game where they don't take options away, but rather continuously add new ones and keep what they already have. They are so good with this but it's just a shame it's not there. I know I keep on talking about this topic but it is really the only issue that is hurting this game for me. I posted it as a suggestion bug on The Show Nation and the guy who responded said they'd look into it for next year. I don't think it will make its return to the game via patch this year, nor did I expect it to.
Same here bwiggy.

#free slow mode

# 86 bfindeisen @ 05/27/14 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Unfortunately, it seems this is case for a lot of things we had gotten used to in past games. For me, I used to play The Show Live constantly. I loved that you could play the actual games as they were happening with updated lineups, stats, etc. In this mode in the past, you used to be able to edit visual things and still be able to play the game; things like equipment. I used to get so much satisfaction playing those games with all the players with their real equipment, etc., but now, it seems the game pulls the roster fresh from the server every time you play so you can't edit these things...now if I want to play The Show Live, I'm forced to rely on SCEA roster updates, which (as far as Stances/Equipment Edits/Pitches goes) are terrible. Needless to say, I don't play the game mode anymore...

# 87 Da Amba Lamps @ 05/27/14 04:13 PM
baserunning in general is a bit of a let down for me. here is one issue I went through as a rtts second baseman.

I don't know i this is an attribute thing but my player now every so often but mostly when I've plotted the course of the ball and am waiting for it to come to me, I'll get it then double clutch it before throwing. on throws to first it's not big deal but to start a double play time is of the essence and that is now costing me double plays. I've found that if you're moving you won't get that. you'll flip the ball to the shortstop.

# 88 Mrmagoo @ 05/27/14 05:52 PM
Off topic I guess, but I have personally come to the conclusion that most sports games (the show included) should release a new game once every 2 years and the other years just have new rosters come out and charge whatever they need too. I was going to wait to buy the ps4 till later in the year bit after reading most of the early impressions... I fell for it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and I've enjoyed it for years and am thankful for a good mlb experience. To me tho I just don't see it as much of an upgrade when considering the upgrades versus the bugs this year. Sadly tho if stats don't get a major boost in the next year or two I probably will pass on this game in the future. Stats are a huge part of baseball and for this series to be this far along with such an incomplete line a stats is shocking to me!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

# 89 Steelers=SuperBowl @ 05/27/14 10:04 PM
This is one of the first articles written by OS that i disagree with.
If you spend time trying to find something wrong with EVERYTHING in life, then you will be very unhappy.
This game is great...this article is just trying to hard to complain

# 90 Steelers=SuperBowl @ 05/27/14 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
I've stopped playing it. The whole random PCI with timed hitting turned me off. MLB 14 might be my last purchase for a few years.
Classic bluff...see ya next year

# 91 shadyridr @ 05/27/14 10:18 PM
I absolutely love this game and there is literally only one thing bugging me and im surprised nobody has mentioned it. I dont know if its only related to QC but the pitch counts are all messed up. They simply dont count the pitch when the ball is put in play and it happens every at bat. For example, first guy up has 1-2 count and grounds out (thats 4 pitches). Next guy comes up with a 3-0 count and it will show 6 pitches instead of 7. This happens every batter.

If there is a thread on this can someone send me a link. I tried a search and found nothing.

# 92 ShaBoomer @ 05/27/14 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyridr
I absolutely love this game and there is literally only one thing bugging me and im surprised nobody has mentioned it. I dont know if its only related to QC but the pitch counts are all messed up. They simply dont count the pitch when the ball is put in play and it happens every at bat. For example, first guy up has 1-2 count and grounds out (thats 4 pitches). Next guy comes up with a 3-0 count and it will show 6 pitches instead of 7. This happens every batter.

If there is a thread on this can someone send me a link. I tried a search and found nothing.
I don't think the pitch count is meant to be exact when using QC.

From the strategy guide:

"As a rough guideline, if a game would have had 145 pitches thrown without Quick Counts, then with Quick Counts on that would translate to about 80 pitches 'actually thrown' plus an additional 105 'simulated pitches' for a total of 185 pitches. As a compromise for realism, the game corrects for this inflated number by subtracting 1 pitch per plate appearance for display purposes, so that a pitcher's individual pitch count will appear more comparable to a regular game. An extra pitch is subtracted for at-bats ending on a 3-2 count."

# 93 NAFBUC @ 05/28/14 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Check it out again, degradation was happening prior to the patch but now post patch it is staying pristine all game.

I didn't notice it either until it was pointed out in that thread.
Including rain games..........

#free slow mode

# 94 Mrmagoo @ 05/28/14 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers=SuperBowl
If you spend time trying to find something wrong with EVERYTHING in life, then you will be very unhappy.
Lol... I see plenty that needs to be cleaned up in this game. Doesn't mean I'm unhappy or am only looking for something wrong... Hell when something happens that shouldn't... What are you suppose to do.... Just turn into a mute?... You talk like there's no middle ground. It is a great game and has been for a number of years, personally I don't think it's one of their better releases, but my thinking is with the ps4 they probably had more to deal with too.. Who knows. But button line there's plenty of room for improvement in this series same as most things in life. Btw... If you go through life ignoring the things that are wrong.... Well you can figure the rest out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

# 95 @legendm0de @ 05/29/14 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decga
This is a must for me next year for the PS4 version of the Show. The game is lifeless. No interaction in dugouts.... Its a little issue, but I would like to see it happen.
It looks like we will get our wish regarding this issue http://theshownation.com/bug_reports/13002

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. We are always looking to improve the overall feel of the game. This will be something we will look into for the future.

# 96 bfindeisen @ 05/29/14 02:16 PM
Quote:
LOL, okaaaay...

No one is saying the game is bad, but when you've played the game for 5 years or more and continually see the same legacy issues, it grates on you. I enjoy the game the same as I did when I first played many years ago...but for next gen, I was kind of hoping the experience would be significantly better, and in many ways it's not.

# 97 Nero84 @ 05/29/14 05:22 PM
Only real big issue for me is the inability to execute a hit and run play. Runner slides into 2nd every time and it needs to be fixed.

# 98 dalger21 @ 05/29/14 08:40 PM
Quote:
Classic bluff...see ya next year
. You know, I've never been negative towards the show like I have the last two years. Having said that, I shouldn't have said that. I have my reasons and thoughts on the game and I'll leave it at that. I don't need to make a declaration on if I'm getting the game anymore.

# 99 decga @ 05/29/14 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero84
Only real big issue for me is the inability to execute a hit and run play. Runner slides into 2nd every time and it needs to be fixed.
I did one to perfection on the PS4. Schafer on 1st & Heyward at the plate. I que up Schafer to steal or run and guess the location of the pitch to Heyward. Heyward hit a gapper to the right-center wall. It resulted in Scafer scoring and Heyward in for a 3B. Schafer didn't slide automatically he kept running. I Que the advance to each base myself...

# 100 moemoe24 @ 06/04/14 07:11 PM
I don't see much of what the OP is seeing. IMO it's the best show to date. My only wish is that they would fix the edits with shoes and hat brims. To some that's a small thing but to me it's not. I respect everyone's issues no matter how I personally feel. What's important to me isn't to the next guy and vice versa.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.