Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: Little Issues Hampering the Fun

Custom Cameras Will Not Save or Work Online

The ability to create customized batting and pitching cameras is an awesome, game-changing feature, whenever it is working properly. Right now, it is not.

Custom camera angles are not saving after the MLB 14: The Show application shuts down, forcing gamers to recreate their favorite viewpoints each time they load up the game.

While this appears to be a fixable bug, there is also a major design issue, which is the inability to use your custom cameras during online games. If PlayStation 3 titles like NHL 14 can successfully run online matches with 10 different skaters using 10 different custom perspectives, then there is no good reason why a simple one-on-one matchup on the PlayStation 4 cannot do the same.

Choppy Frame Rate

If you're playing MLB 14 The Show with "broadcast" presentation turned on, you've likely noticed the large frame rate dips during the game's transitional cutscenes. You'd think the PlayStation 4's processor would be able to handle a close-up shot of two or three player models in the same frame, so hopefully, this is just an optimization an issue that can be resolved in a future title update.

Gamers playing the Road to the Show mode, which can suffer from a decreased frame rate during live gameplay at certain fielding positions, have no option but to wait for a patch.

For everyone else, the only current workaround is to enable "fast play" presentation, which skips past these slideshows entirely.

Contact Swings are Overpowered

The "contact swing" (circle button) is supposed to be a way for batters to protect the plate whenever they have two strikes and are in danger of striking out.

In MLB 14: The Show, however, contact swings have become good for much more than just fouling off pitches or blooping singles into open gaps; they are just as capable of producing towering home runs.

I can live with muscle men like Ryan Howard or Jose Bautista occasionally powering a contact swing past the fences, but it makes no sense that lightweights like Ben Revere and José Reyes are also able to hits homers with the circle button.

Steals Are too Easy; Pick-Offs are too Difficult

While human pitchers have access to three different types of pick-off throws, the "quick" and "casual" commands are rarely successful, especially against baserunners who have been instructed to "steal on motion" (tap L2). The "deceptive" pick-off is even less effective, as it's more likely to cause a fielding error than to catch a greedy baserunner.

Throwing a pitch-out to the catcher (L1 + X) is also ineffective against human baserunners, as the pitch-out animation is noticeably different from a normal throw, making it easy for the runner to hit the "go back" button (R1) as soon as he sees the animation begin.

Increasing pick-off success, decreasing pick-off overthrows, and making the pitch-out animation less distinguishable from a normal pitch would all help to balance MLB 14: The Show's baserunning, which currently favors the offense over the defense.

Community Challenges Ruined by Long Loading Times and Rigged Reward Systems

During MLB 14 The Show's opening week, lengthy loading times were hurting every game mode. Thankfully, Community Challenges are now the only area of the game that's still taking too long to load.

Walk-off scenarios that can be beaten in 10 seconds of gameplay require a full minute of loading before the game is ready for you to swing the bat. Add another 30 seconds of waiting around every time you need to retry a failed event.

Even if you can stand the constant loading, the majority of affordable events cost the same amount of stubs to enter as they reward if you win, making most challenges pointless, if your goal is to gain stubs.

Online Franchise Games Failing to Register

Nothing sours a night of gaming like finishing an hour-long match, only to realize that your game did not count and will not be recorded due to a server error.

The NBA 2K, Madden NFL and NCAA Football series have all dealt with similar issues in their online franchise modes, and now, MLB 14: The Show will also need to figure out what's preventing these matches from registering consistently. Otherwise, few gamers will want to waste their leisure time playing games that may or may not count.

Local Multiplayer Needs More Pitch Cursor Options

"Couch multiplayer" has been making a comeback in recent months, thanks to fun releases like Sportsfriends, TowerFall Ascension, Samurai Gunn and Nidhogg.

MLB 14: The Show does not belong on that list, until it includes an option to hide the pitch cursor's yellow breaking ball tick marks.

Since your friend can tell the exact type of pitch you've prepared just by looking at the yellow markers on the TV screen, the pitcher/batter duel begins to feel as if the pitcher is equipped with an empty water pistol, while the batter has a loaded RPG.

Disabling the pitch cursor entirely is the only way to keep friends guessing, but that option still leaves the pitcher at a significant disadvantage, since he cannot see where he's aiming his throws.

[

Batting Interface Lacks a Ball Icon

Speaking of pitch cursors, MLB 14: The Show could greatly reduce the frustrations of its "zone" hitting style if there was an on-screen icon that represented the ball from the time it left the pitcher's hand to the time it crosses the plate. Presently, the ball's location only appears on screen once it's inside the catcher's mitt.

Baseball titles from Konami, SEGA, Nintendo, EA Sports, Acclaim, etc., have all offered this method of hitting, yet Sony's MLB: The Show series still does not.

Baserunning Controls Need a Middle Ground

Fully automated baserunning and fully manual baserunning should not be baseball gamers' only choices.

Players who have experienced Konami's Pro Yakyuu Spirits and Power Pros series know what an excellent alternative the "lead baserunner only" control scheme can be.

When commanding only the lead baserunner, you still get that feeling of being in charge, without having to micro-managing two to four players at once using complicated button inputs.

Additionally, this option could become the default online baserunning method for MLB 14: The Show, providing a nice balance between total computer control and total user control.

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 shark547 @ 06/11/14 06:50 PM
I have found 2 things that are really irritating for RTTS,

I know it has been mentioned before, but, when I am on first I am getting 4 to 6 pick off attempts per PITCH. I have had as many as 10. Seriously I am spending more time diving back into first than the rest of my game takes. I realize my guy is a 95 speed, but, come on.....and after the 7th one in a game last night my guy broke his leg.....which is also weird cause he dives back in head first.

Other thing, in franchise when I turn a double play I can preload my throw to first with my SS. In my RTTS I all most always have to wait until the ball is in my hand to input my throw. Is this because my guy isn't the greatest defensively or is this a problem unique to RTTS?

# 102 ya boy hollywud @ 06/11/14 07:48 PM
I have a question and I'm not sure where to post it. I'm playing in an online franchise with the St. Louis Cardinals and I don't understand how the AI is able to steal 2nd base at near a 100% clip. It seems like having Molina as my catcher is making no impact on the defensive end which is insane.

I am assuming I'm making the mistake. When I make the pitch I immediately hold the triangle button to make Molina throw to 2nd base and the player stealing almost always beats the throw.

Can someone please tell me how to make throws in this situation or just in general? I always hold down the button of the base I want to throw it to until he throws the ball.

BTW, this is my first time playing The Show. I came from the 360 to the PS4. Thanks in advance!

# 103 trigstresser @ 07/20/14 07:02 PM
"Little issues hampering the fun" Come on who are you trying to kid? This game
Is an abomination. San Diego Studios should be ashamed of themselves for even releasing
it. Its nearly Impossible to complete an online game without getting an error booting you out of the game.
SIX STRAIGHT ERRORS IN A ROW the last time I have tried to play. Before
that if if you could complete a game there would always be something happening different than
what the other player saw. In other words on my screen looked like the ball was thrown away
while on the other players screen it wasnt and I would be
"magicaly thrown out easily arriving at the extra base. Its pure BS
This game should never have been released at all. Im renting from here on out.
This game makes 2K MLB Games look like the pinnacle of online gaming.

AGAIN SHAME ON SD STUDIOS FOR RELEASING THIS GARBAGE!

# 104 HozAndMoose @ 07/20/14 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigstresser
"Little issues hampering the fun" Come on who are you trying to kid? This game
Is an abomination. San Diego Studios should be ashamed of themselves for even releasing
it. Its nearly Impossible to complete an online game without getting an error booting you out of the game.
SIX STRAIGHT ERRORS IN A ROW the last time I have tried to play. Before
that if if you could complete a game there would always be something happening different than
what the other player saw. In other words on my screen looked like the ball was thrown away
while on the other players screen it wasnt and I would be
"magicaly thrown out easily arriving at the extra base. Its pure BS
This game should never have been released at all. Im renting from here on out.
This game makes 2K MLB Games look like the pinnacle of online gaming.

AGAIN SHAME ON SD STUDIOS FOR RELEASING THIS GARBAGE!
One part of the game is broken lets call the whole thing a piece of ****.

# 105 ManiacMatt1782 @ 07/20/14 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferriscj24
FANTASTIC GAME, first of all!

CPU bunting in RTTS is totally bizzare. Just two quick examples...

Matt Kemp in a full count and 2 outs.
Jason Heyward 0-2 count with bases loaded

Both outs, of course.
And pitchers never bunt especially when its a no brainer sacrifice situation

# 106 SwedishTouch76 @ 07/20/14 09:55 PM
So the entire game is garbage because online connectivity is bad? Ya thats not an immature over the top reaction. As a lifelong 2k guy this game is a joy to play offline. Any tiny bit of lag would make this game difficult online.

# 107 Spokker @ 07/20/14 11:35 PM
When going online, does the netcode take ping into account when matching up players?

The best thing console games could start doing is letting you specify that you only want to play with other players in your region. Historically, when you play PC games you choose your server from a list and sort by ping. Invariably this leads you to play on relatively nearby servers.

Even the best netcode can't change the speed of light.

# 108 nomo17k @ 07/21/14 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
When going online, does the netcode take ping into account when matching up players?

The best thing console games could start doing is letting you specify that you only want to play with other players in your region. Historically, when you play PC games you choose your server from a list and sort by ping. Invariably this leads you to play on relatively nearby servers.

Even the best netcode can't change the speed of light.
Online games in The Show is peer-to-peer once the game gets set up between you and your opponent, so choosing a server is irrelevant.

Matching algo taking into ping might cause other "fairness" issues as well. People complain about how messed up the matching/ranking algorithm is already, so when they learn some people only get to play those in geographical proximity, they'd complain about it incessantly.

# 109 Boltman @ 07/21/14 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
No one has mentioned the fact that ground balls down the line are always singles because the outfielders get to them too fast. Doesn't matter if you make fielder speed 2, grounders down the line are always singles. And in real life, a grounder down the line is 99% of the time a double.
I used to think that as well but that's false. It is not always a single, if the player hitting has real good speed you can push it for a double.

I have reaction at 8 and speed at 1 if you're wondering.

# 110 baseballphanatic @ 07/21/14 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
No one has mentioned the fact that ground balls down the line are always singles because the outfielders get to them too fast. Doesn't matter if you make fielder speed 2, grounders down the line are always singles. And in real life, a grounder down the line is 99% of the time a double.
ya sorry this isnt true at all. 2 bags easy

# 111 bcruise @ 07/21/14 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman
I used to think that as well but that's false. It is not always a single, if the player hitting has real good speed you can push it for a double.

I have reaction at 8 and speed at 1 if you're wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballphanatic
ya sorry this isnt true at all. 2 bags easy
Agree with these two. I just had the CPU hit one on me down the line and turn it into a double, with default reaction and speed sliders. Can prove it too if asked, because I took video - just don't want to de-rail the thread unnecessarily. If someone wants me to post it I will.

# 112 Mrmagoo @ 07/21/14 09:42 PM
I think he was referring to the user hitting.
In my experience I can get some doubles just barely with my fastest players, otherwise more times than not it's a single, iirc I have my reaction time down a few notches along with fielder speed and arm I think down one notch.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.