Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: Little Things Which Add to the Experience

Last week, we ran an insightful article that highlights some of MLB 14: The Show’s small, but impactful, problems. All of those issues Jayson points out are evident, and can detract from the overall fun.

However, I think MLB 14 on the PS4 is one of my favorite games from the last five years. I’ve probably played more games in The Show this year than any baseball game in the past; only rivaled by MVP 2005.

So, in the interest of balance, here are small, but important additions MLB 14: The Show gets right.

Dynamic Cameras

The new hitting camera allows you to see the ball from the pitcher’s hand to the fielder's glove, with no interruption. There’s no cheating on the part of the game; you are able to witness the entire play unfold in front of you. What’s more, you typically have a better view of the entire field; being able to see where the fielders are setting up allows you to control the baserunners with a bit more foresight.

Additionally, the fielding cameras make every play feel a bit different, highlighting the action on the field. This increases the intensity of each play, and gets you a little closer to the action.

Normally, I prefer presentation that skews in favor of a real life TV broadcast, but these cameras change the game in a positive way. All told, I’m really digging these new camera options and their effect on gameplay.

Generated Counts

I had to dig for the article, but in 2012 I included generated counts as one of my top "wish list" features for 2013. While it took an extra year, I'm really thankful for this addition.

I like generated counts for two main reasons: I get more walks and fewer strike outs, and I'm able to play more games in a shorter amount of time. Yes, I love the "purity" of fresh counts, but like I said in 2012, too often life gets in the way of virtual baseball.

Cross-Platform Saves

It’s nearly summer, and I’m about to embark on a week-long road trip. I’m really glad to be able to take my franchise along, thanks to the Vita and cross-platform saves.

I also feel less pressure to “cram” my franchise into just this year, since I know I’ll be able to transfer that save too. That’s a great selling point for Sony, and a nice service to long-time fans of the series.

I’ve said it before: I think we are moving to where these year-to-year saves will become standard in the genre.

Diamond Dynasty: Extra Innings

Diamond Dynasty is probably my least favorite mode in MLB 14: The Show, but it’s value was increased thanks to the Extra Innings feature. This addition allows you to play offline games against other users’ teams. During those games, the teams will play according to the real life tendencies of their owners.

Thanks to Extra Innings, I can play Diamond Dynasty offline with more options than just a CPU-controlled MLB team.

Topps Showcase

This addition to Road to the Show jump starts your MLB career by allowing your player to participate in a three game “try-out” in front of virtual scouts. I like that the Showcase puts pressure on you to perform, and helps define your player in a much more interactive way than simply allocating points.

I think there’s room for improvement here, though. I’d love to see an entire high-school or college career lived through “moments” -- a la the lock on player feature -- allowing your player to be generated nearly from scratch over a few key situations.

Sony also needs to improve the feedback system. My RttS pitcher completed three solid innings, allowing two hits and an unearned run, yet was told that he’s seen better days.

Again, a lot of improvement was made to Road to the Show last year; the Topps Showcase improves the mode yet again.

Not Removing Options

Finally, I’m thankful that MLB: The Show continues to add improvements without sacrificing past options that people like. When something is added, it’s usually not at the cost of a previous feature. There are now many ways to pitch, field and hit in The Show, and a countless number of camera angles.

This is refreshing in a world where “back of the box” features are touted, only to be removed a few years later.

Final Thoughts

Look, we know that MLB 14: The Show isn’t a perfect game, especially with a rocky start to online play. But, over the course of two generations and now into a third, The Show has been a prime example of a sports game that gets better each year.

What’s your favorite additions or feature in MLB 14: The Show?

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 asu666 @ 05/30/14 02:53 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I waited for the PS4 version and, after a week, traded it in on the PS3 version because the load times, lack of custom soundtrack support, custom camera save bug that forced me to reset my hitting camera every time I booted up the game, missing details from the PS3 version (e.g., the "A" on Arizona's sliding roof, etc.), and gigantic install size for what seemed like only a minor bump in visuals over the already outstanding PS3 version, made me want to wait for next year's PS4 version, which hopefully at least loads faster and doesn't have any major day one bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Show. Sony San Diego made another all time classic-level game, but I feel like the PS4 version needs a little more polish. I loved the inclusion of bat/ball boys, but could we get some ball girls mixed in too?

At least Sony San Diego had the wisdom to not alignate offline franchise players like 2K Sports did with the horrible VC server check stuff in NBA 2K14 for PS4/XBOne. MLB 14 on my PS3 is a great game and I'm happy to know I can continue my franchise progress in the next PS4 version. Thanks Sony San Diego. Any critizism I level is because I love your product and want you to keep pushing hard to be the best.

# 2 CujoMatty @ 05/30/14 11:10 PM
I cant stress enough that for me the only "little touch" im missing is sounds of the show. It ads so much realism not to mention if the fact that I used to like the song fire and brimstone until I heard it a bizzilion times in this game.

# 3 Dr. Banner @ 05/30/14 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I waited for the PS4 version and, after a week, traded it in on the PS3 version because the load times, lack of custom soundtrack support, custom camera save bug that forced me to reset my hitting camera every time I booted up the game, missing details from the PS3 version (e.g., the "A" on Arizona's sliding roof, etc.), and gigantic install size for what seemed like only a minor bump in visuals over the already outstanding PS3 version, made me want to wait for next year's PS4 version, which hopefully at least loads faster and doesn't have any major day one bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Show. Sony San Diego made another all time classic-level game, but I feel like the PS4 version needs a little more polish. I loved the inclusion of bat/ball boys, but could we get some ball girls mixed in too?

At least Sony San Diego had the wisdom to not alignate offline franchise players like 2K Sports did with the horrible VC server check stuff in NBA 2K14 for PS4/XBOne. MLB 14 on my PS3 is a great game and I'm happy to know I can continue my franchise progress in the next PS4 version. Thanks Sony San Diego. Any critizism I level is because I love your product and want you to keep pushing hard to be the best.
I Will never understand ever why so many ppl complain about the load times in games, especially sports games. Ok the game takes like a minute to load up when you first boot the game, or a min when you choose to play a game, why is that such a problem?

# 4 Zinger @ 05/31/14 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Banner
I Will never understand ever why so many ppl complain about the load times in games, especially sports games. Ok the game takes like a minute to load up when you first boot the game, or a min when you choose to play a game, why is that such a problem?
Couldn't agree more. A small price to pay for such a great game. Are people's lives so crammed with things to do that the loss of a minute or two should cause them such anguish? In that case I'm glad that my life runs at a more leisurely pace.

# 5 Aggies7 @ 05/31/14 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
Couldn't agree more. A small price to pay for such a great game. Are people's lives so crammed with things to do that the loss of a minute or two should cause them such anguish? In that case I'm glad that my life runs at a more leisurely pace.

Some people are rushed to get a game in and don't want to wait so I see their point.

But I agree with you the load times, for me at least, are worth it for such a great game. At this point I would triple the load times to get an NFL game that is this well thought out and put together.

# 6 NAFBUC @ 05/31/14 11:24 AM
Out of all the little things only the dynamic cameras is something I use.

Also........Not Removing Options

-Slow mode option is missing
-Dugout presentation (when a player comes back to the dugout after a game changing type at bat) along with player reactions.
-offline franchise and online franchise are not the same as far as stats, carryover yr to yr etc

# 7 tb24ster @ 06/01/14 05:31 AM
Need more player reaction in the dugouts! And more cut scenes as in real life games. What's up witha patch to add to this. This is a sick game ! One of the best on the PS4 platform.

# 8 asu666 @ 06/02/14 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Banner
I don't have a lot of free time and sometimes I can only squeeze in an inning or two per session before I have to go back to work, get the laundry out of the dryer, cook dinner, run an errand, etc., so I might have to see the loading screen four or five times to finish a game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.