Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 15: Hands-On Impressions

I had a chance to play Madden NFL 15 on the PlayStation 4 yesterday for about an hour, so this is obviously a small sample size and I expect to have more impressions through the show. While waiting for my opponent to choose his play, I would peek over at the other stations to see more and thus, I’ve seen quite a bit of gameplay. There is still time for the team to tweak some of the items mentioned below, so just remember that as you read through them. These are my impressions from the build I played, I have no idea how close it is to the finished product, nor do I know if things will change for the better or worse when it hits store shelves. I’m just telling you what I’m seeing now with this build, so take it for what it’s worth.

• Animations are smoother, but sliding is still noticeable, especially in replays.
  • The kick meter reminds me of the swing controls in a golf game. It still doesn’t seem too difficult, but it’s good to finally see a change. The wind direction issue on kicks has been fixed.
  • Watched quite a few QB’s throwing on the run resulting in inaccurate passes.
  • Saw a few scramble with their non-mobile QB and try to get a few yards, noticed turnovers more often than not.
  • When seeing someone running the ball and juking close to the sidelines, I noticed quite a few ran out of bounds, instead of cutting up the field because of a drawn out animation they couldn’t break out of.
  • Uniform degradation looked fantastic.
  • Hard to hear any of the new commentary, the EA Sports booth was very LOUD.
  • I didn’t see a coin toss, you just select receive or kick, guess they removed it?
  • QB accuracy is all over the place, but that is not a bad thing. I had a few overthrows, under throws, lead the receiver too much or threw it behind him on numerous occasions, which causes all sorts of new receiver animations.
  • Receivers will try to tap both feet to catch a ball to stay in bounds, didn’t notice any sliding here, looked fantastic. Actually saw one on a fade to the back of the end zone and a regular sideline out pass.
  • I’m still trying to get used to the “cone” tackling, but you can turn it off. I just need to play with it more. Same with controlling the defensive lineman, getting a jump and hitting the right button to maneuver around the offensive lineman.
  • More on QB accuracy. I had my feet set, had a nice pocket and still threw a few inaccurate passes, I loved seeing that. Might be frustrating on a 3rd down play call, but that’s football, it happens. And I was Romo. :)
  • Saw QB’s throwing all sorts of errant passes in the games I was watching on other screens. Some had their rookie QB’s starting and they wanted to throw their controller. I was loving it. Please don’t change this EA.
  • Still seeing defenders drop easy interceptions, I guess that is ok for some of you, but I’d rather see the defense make you pay for stupid decisions. Yes, there are sliders for that, but I didn’t have time to test them obviously.
  • Love the player celebrations after touchdowns. No more cutscenes, the player(s) do them in realtime. However I still saw a few times where they didn’t do anything. For example, when  Aaron Rodgers scores he usually does the discount double check or whatever you want to call it. I didn’t see him do that, in fact, I didn’t see him do the Lambeau Leap either. But it was one touchdown, on another station. Maybe he does it the next time, maybe he doesn’t, just throwing it out there.
  • Celebrations in general just look so much more fluid. Celebrations after sacks, first downs, and big plays in general just add to the atmosphere and polish of the game. I hate seeing the play call screen cover them up though.
  • Without hitting the pause button, by tapping up on the D-pad, you can change the camera angle. We had an issue getting it to work properly, but I’ll play with it some more today. It looks like some things are only seen when playing at lower difficulty settings.
  • I tried a few curl routes and didn’t have any issue completing them, hoping they aren’t too easy against a better defender, will play around with it.
  • Not enough time behind the sticks to say whether or not zones and man to man coverages are better, but they certainly feel tighter. I was in a cover 2 deep and my opponent threw a deep ball with NOBODY around, he was wide open. It could have been a fluke.
  • Really enjoyed the running game. Had two separate kick-out blocks, one that paved the way for long touchdown run, the other to get a first down to run out the clock for the win. When you patiently wait for blocks to setup, you will get rewarded.
  • Still not seeing any jostling/hand fighting between receivers and defensive backs, this really needs to happen. Add a subtle jersey pull, throw an arm out to impede progress. Have the refs throw some flags. OK, I’m done here.

My initial impressions of Madden NFL 15 after an hour are that it’s still Madden for better or worse. It plays better than last year, but don’t expect the wheel to be reinvented this year with the game. I’ll hopefully have more time to play Madden and post more impressions later in the show.

Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 brza37 @ 06/11/14 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It's been reported they have brought the NCAA no huddle over to Madden.
Serious?! I haven't read that yet. Thanks for the info. Thats great news!

# 22 Smoke6 @ 06/11/14 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This write up expresses the impression I got from reading about Madden 15 so far, nicely improved but still lacking in some key areas.

I was really glad to read about the inaccurate QBs because I have always felt that the passing game should have proper risk/reward, linked to ratings and situation. I should be nervous dropping back to pass with all but the most elite of NFL QBs and/or offensive schemes, not just flinging it all over the field, all game, regardless of the QB or team. I despised QB Vision and never want to see it again but it did add a much needed element of risk/reward for the passing game. Hopefully Tiburon can build on these pass inaccuracies, with independent physics for the football and true weather effects to make passing risk/reward even more evident.

I remember back on the older consoles when playing older NFL games, I had to focus on playing good defense and time of possession through the running game when playing with my Redskins because we didn't have a solid dependable QB. I look forward to those days again, when you actually have to adapt the way you play based on your team's and opponent's personnel.

Also about interceptions, I agree with the writer, don't nerf them down, if the situation makes sense that it be an INT, let it be an INT, regardless of how many occur. Again, if there is not proper risk to doing x, then there is no need for anyone to stop trying to do it, lol. An incomplete pass is not a big enough deterrent for some gamers, so take the training wheels off and let them set NFL records for INTs until they learn to not force passes, take what's there, setup plays, run the ball more, etc.
Fully agree, training wheels need to be removed and the QB stuff is well needed, oh how im so tired of seeing people just take off and make there own plays with the QB and be successful at cross shoulder throws.

# 23 Iceman87GT @ 06/11/14 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It's usually only when he scores a TD and he was injured for 9 weeks last year.
It's only when he makes a play with his legs that he does the belt, if he throws the pass then he's gonna do a fist pump skip thing. That is his main celebration, his belt move is more famous but he barely does it by comparison.

# 24 roadman @ 06/11/14 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
It's only when he makes a play with his legs that he does the belt, if he throws the pass then he's gonna do a fist pump skip thing. That is his main celebration, his belt move is more famous but he barely does it by comparison.
Right, when I mentioned when he scores, I meant with his legs, not his arm.

# 25 Greencollarbaseball @ 06/11/14 12:04 PM
Are the errant throws just barely off target (just out of reach), way off target (like M25, where errant throws would be 5-10 yards off target), or a mix of both?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

# 26 CM Hooe @ 06/11/14 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
So... the second Madden on the current Gen (X-1/PS4) and, from the sounds of it, the most noted improvements are celebrations???
I take it you missed the several blog posts calling out the brand-new defensive gameplay mechanics of defensive line play and tackling, complete rewrite of man and zone coverage AI, changes to the passing game to better differentiate quarterbacks, introduction of passing concepts to CPU QB AI and user play calling, changes to pre-plays audibles to slow down audible-abusing offenses, pre game and halftime show, broadcast presentation enhancements, graphics upgrades, and so on.

But yeah, the biggest thing Tiburon added this year was celebrations, sure.

# 27 DubTrey1 @ 06/11/14 01:24 PM
Any PI calls, Penalties in general? Would love to actually have flags this year - and not just for holding/clipping for a change.

# 28 jpdavis82 @ 06/11/14 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Serious?! I haven't read that yet. Thanks for the info. Thats great news!
I can confirm this, go to Tradition Sports Gameplay impressions

# 29 The JareBear @ 06/11/14 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I can confirm this, go to Tradition Sports Gameplay impressions
This is a good move on their part. Happy to hear this.

# 30 jpdavis82 @ 06/11/14 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencollarbaseball
Are the errant throws just barely off target (just out of reach), way off target (like M25, where errant throws would be 5-10 yards off target), or a mix of both?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
A mix of both, Rex talks about it in his OS podcast interview

# 31 og236 @ 06/11/14 01:26 PM
Can we stick a corner on a receiver like we used to be able to do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 32 jpdavis82 @ 06/11/14 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
This is a good move on their part. Happy to hear this.
Did you hear about how audibles work now? Another big improvement that's minor to most.

# 33 The JareBear @ 06/11/14 01:28 PM
Quote:
I really hope people are giving them lots of positive feedback on this. The QB ratings actually playing a role is a huge step in the right direction for this franchise.

# 34 jpdavis82 @ 06/11/14 01:32 PM
Quote:
On top of that there are like 400 new catch animations(remember hearing that) well that's because there wasn't a way before now for these animations to trigger and the ball would just go overhead as they stood still. Now the WRs and DBs will be leaping stretching diving etc for inaccurate and overthrown passes.

# 35 wordtobigbird @ 06/11/14 01:40 PM
400?

I hate when they use numbers like that. That would mean we would rarely see the same catch animation.

# 36 og236 @ 06/11/14 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
No..defensive matchups are not in the game this year

I hate that, I hate when the CPU puts their best WR in the slot against my nickelback because I can't assign my #1 corner to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 37 cookjn @ 06/11/14 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This write up expresses the impression I got from reading about Madden 15 so far, nicely improved but still lacking in some key areas.

I was really glad to read about the inaccurate QBs because I have always felt that the passing game should have proper risk/reward, linked to ratings and situation. I should be nervous dropping back to pass with all but the most elite of NFL QBs and/or offensive schemes, not just flinging it all over the field, all game, regardless of the QB or team. I despised QB Vision and never want to see it again but it did add a much needed element of risk/reward for the passing game. Hopefully Tiburon can build on these pass inaccuracies, with independent physics for the football and true weather effects to make passing risk/reward even more evident.

I remember back on the older consoles when playing older NFL games, I had to focus on playing good defense and time of possession through the running game when playing with my Redskins because we didn't have a solid dependable QB. I look forward to those days again, when you actually have to adapt the way you play based on your team's and opponent's personnel.

Also about interceptions, I agree with the writer, don't nerf them down, if the situation makes sense that it be an INT, let it be an INT, regardless of how many occur. Again, if there is not proper risk to doing x, then there is no need for anyone to stop trying to do it, lol. An incomplete pass is not a big enough deterrent for some gamers, so take the training wheels off and let them set NFL records for INTs until they learn to not force passes, take what's there, setup plays, run the ball more, etc.
Interceptions are nerfed down in real life. Just take a look at this Football Outsiders article:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/adjusted-interceptions-2012

Andrew Luck had 18 interceptions in 2012. He should have had 14 more, but they were dropped.

# 38 Cowboy008 @ 06/11/14 02:24 PM
I like hearing about the QB's errant throws. No more throwing on the run and being spot on with the throw.

# 39 Dr Death @ 06/11/14 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I take it you missed the several blog posts calling out the brand-new defensive gameplay mechanics of defensive line play and tackling, complete rewrite of man and zone coverage AI, changes to the passing game to better differentiate quarterbacks, introduction of passing concepts to CPU QB AI and user play calling, changes to pre-plays audibles to slow down audible-abusing offenses, pre game and halftime show, broadcast presentation enhancements, graphics upgrades, and so on.

But yeah, the biggest thing Tiburon added this year was celebrations, sure.
And you, apparently, are one of those that is a sucker every year for EA's mega-hype machine! Send me a PM in August and let me know how all this turns out. I'm sure 95% of what they're bragging about will be nothing more than words that fall flat once the game is shipped.

# 40 Jerred26 @ 06/11/14 03:16 PM
Great to hear more about Madden 15.
Could you try to get to Connected Franchise Mode? I'm really curious if anything is new on it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.