Home
Feature Article
A Fleeting Look at All Pro Football

July 17 was a holiday for most of us. A day to shake off the bad vibes and poor collision detection of NCAA 07, and to begin a new digital dynasty of gridiron greatness.

However, driving home at 12:03 a.m. with a fresh copy of NCAA 08 in our hot little hands, we somehow forgot that July 17 was also a poignant day from our old mistress, 2K Sports. Returning to the football gaming ranks for the first time since the "cult classic" ESPN NFL 2K5, 2K Sports brings us All Pro Football 2K8, a uniquely-premised alternative to EA's beloved (and sometimes begrudged) stranglehold on the football gaming genre.

I will be the first to admit that I am a bit of an EA homer. I have been joined at the hip with the Madden series since the Sega Genesis days. But, several years back, I was introduced to the Sega Dreamcast, and a pretty little game called NFL 2K. As the Dreamcast was a pioneer in the world of then-next-gen platforms, NFL 2K suddenly became the new benchmark in football gaming. With stunning graphics, smooth gameplay, and unique little features like audible on-field trash talk, NFL 2K posed a serious threat to my marriage to the Madden series. A few short years later, the Dreamcast was a dinosaur, and 2K Sports had lost its NFL license. It seemed the affair was over.

Two weeks ago, my old flame returned with a major (and partially botched) facelift, in the form of All Pro Football 2K8. While the game has been largely ignored by the MM community, I decided to give the old gal one more go 'round. Although I must admit, it was not whole-heartedly, as my football gaming budget for the year is a fixed $120. Thank God for Blockbuster.

**Just a quick note- my time spent with AP2K8 is fairly limited, considering how many hours I have clocked with NCAA. However, I did want to give the game some semblance of a review, as its very existence is relevant to football gamers. Now, moving on...

For those who have been purposely oblivious to All Pro, allow me to give a quick synopsis. The game is centered around a fictional football league that is chock-full of past NFL talent, ranging from the Hall of Fame caliber (Marino, Payton, etc.) to downright farcical (The Boz). Basically, you pick a squad from this creaky old collection of legends and has-beens, and hit the field.

Presentation: A More than Solid Effort
Presentation is one of this game's strong suits. The graphics are largely good, and overall, very sharp. While player models are slightly clunky, the face detail is exquisite, with all of your old favorites clearly recognizable in the game's rampant close-ups and instant replays. Sound is also well done, with a good balance of on-the-field chatter, crowd noise, crunching sound effects, and insightful/humorous commentary.

While it does pain me to admit it, the telecast-style presentation of APF2K8 is a head and shoulders above NCAA 08 (and presumably, Madden 08). A clever mix of commentary keeps things fresh (at least for the short time I have spent with the game), and halftime/post-game shows relive all of the big plays automatically. One minor draw back to the presentation is the "Field-Pass" views, which take you inside the huddle or to the line of scrimmage, with overly cheesy comments from players. (In one instance, Johnny Unitas got under center and exclaimed "This is a GREAT drive!") While it is a nice attempt to create atmosphere, it somehow reeks of Vince McMahon's XFL, and is a constant little reminder that the game is an elaborate work of fiction.

Gameplay: Highs and Lows
The gameplay itself, is largely familiar those who have tinkered with (or abused) past NFL 2K games. It has a smooth, yet jerky feel to the physics, and walks a thin line between realistic and arcade-like. Basically, it is simple enough for the casual gamer, yet boasts enough depth to be at least temporarily satisfactory for the football realist.

The running game is great fun, especially with the little player-specific subtleties that are included. Walter Payton throws in a high step every now and then, and Barry Sanders, with his trademark shifty-style, slips and slides through cracks in the line. 2K Sports has always done a great job with the running game, and APF2K8 is no exception.

The passing game is a little more arcade-like, and the dreaded Roll-and-Chuck offense that EA has worked so hard to eliminate is in full effect in 2K8. All passes seem like floating beach balls, and receivers are often wide open. Although there are some nice collision animations to make it visually appealing, the passing game is overly manageable, and lacks any real sense of strategy or challenge.

Defense is in a word, boring. Playcalling is a three-step process: picking the formation, picking the defensive line play, and picking a corresponding linebacker/defensive back play. While it is clever mix-and-match approach to defense, the plays themselves lack any real sense of flair or uniqueness. Ultimately, defensive playcalling feels irrelevant to the outcome of play on the field, which in itself, has very little to offer by way of excitement. The controls are overly simple, the play is disengaging, and you may find yourself twiddling your thumbs, waiting for your next offensive possession.

The kicking game is an absolute mess. While modeled after EA's swing-stick system, it is terribly inconsistent, and you may find yourself routinely shanking extra points, and booting kickoffs into the bench. There is loads of room for improvement, and hopefully next season's installment will take a long look at the kicking game.

It's the Little Things...
While APF2K8 does have some drawbacks in its on the field play, it does some of the little things exceptionally well. There are little details to the game that are very satisfying, perhaps even more so considering their exclusion from next-gen EA titles. Retractable nets behind the goalposts, detailed players and coaches on the bench, and deep, intelligent (post-play) player interactions are some of the more noticeable little gems that really help this game shine, despite its shortcomings. The attention to detail is promising for future titles.

Mode-less
The biggest disappointment in this game has to be the lack of depth. The single player offline choices are limited to exhibition and season modes. That's SEASON, not SEASONS. That's right, win or lose, season mode ends at the end of your maiden voyage. No draft, no off season, just a quick exit to the main menu. Quite a downer, if I do say so myself. This is a common plight for most of us, as many franchises' initial next-gen efforts have been colossal letdowns in recent years. (See Madden 06 and NCAA 07)

General Impressions
Ultimately, APF2K8's gimmicky premise and lack of game modes makes it feel like a party game, rather than a football simulation. It does have some great nostalgic appeal, as long-time football fans will appreciate seeing some of their old favorites back in uniform (albeit an ugly uniform). The gameplay is shallow yet fun, and replay value for multiplayer games should be decently high. Single player modes will wear thin after a couple of hours.

In my opinion, the game's fictional angle should have been downplayed if 2K now wishes to be serious competitor to EA Sports. Instead, the game seems to revel in its fantasy, especially with the ridiculously elaborate stadiums, and inflated Nintendo-likes statistics in season mode (O.J. Simpson led the league in rushing with 2,400 yards) After a couple hours of play, APF2K8 feel likes Oliver Stone's Any Given Sunday, on as serious dose of steroids. Try as I could, however, I couldn't find Willie Beamen on any team's roster.

My final opinion, this game is perfect for spending time with some buddies over a few beverages, but not a replacement, alternative, or even a serious competitor to my one true love, Madden NFL.

One last note, you did read correctly earlier, O.J. Simpson is in fact in this game.