Home
Feature Article
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015: Hands-On Impressions

I had a chance to get my hands on PES 2015 at E3 2014, and this year's version attempts to find its footing on new hardware while keeping pace with the always-thriving EA FIFA brand. I'm not as familiar with the PES brand as I am with FIFA, but I still appreciated the chance to test drive Konami's next footy offering.

The visuals struck me as a similar step that EA took last year for FIFA 14, in that the fidelity is bumped up thanks to some uncompressed animations and increased crowd density. Player likenesses also received a decent upgrade, but nothing I saw seemed unachievable in the FIFA series. The main thing I would say is that players — such as Robben, Ribéry, Tevez and Vidal (in the demo's Bayern versus Juventus match) — all had a bit more specificity to their facial details than what might be found in EA's product, but the character models did still look like “computer men” overall. The crowd reactions and game-day presentation wasn't emphasized as much as I thought it would be, even though all of that did look better from what I could tell. I honestly expected more out of the Fox Engine in this regard, so that was a bit disappointing. The menu system, from what I saw, seemed minimal but functional. Oh yeah: still too many replays and stoppages after goals.

What was welcome was the smooth framerate and feel, similar to what FIFA had achieved last year (and continues to this year). Everything on the pitch felt appropriately crisp and clean, particularly in the passing game, and it helped settle me into the action right away. I was able to set up the usual array of stop-and-go plays, lobs, throughs and back-heel passes with relative ease, and everything felt great due to the next-gen fidelity offered to the Fox Engine. Again, this effect felt similar to FIFA 14's unshackling on new hardware.

The usual PES distinctiveness between players and teams was apparent, as Juventus' possession/defense game contrasted with Bayern's roving offense. To be sure, there is still better ball support and more realistic headers in PES than in FIFA, and you'll see a lot more variety in the goal-scoring. That said, some of the goal variety comes from odd goalkeeping or absent marking (thanks to some clunky tackles), but PES games do develop differently than their FIFA brethren, which always makes for unique games each time.

The biggest gameplay difference this year comes from the jinking run, as you can now settle the ball down into a walk or a jog in front of you, allowing for all sorts of explosive moves or cutbacks. I felt that it not only gave me more control over the exact movements I wanted,, but it also made me consider my options a bit more as well. Keeping the ball close in the jinking run was also a benefit when receiving lobs or throughs, as it helped mimic some of the first-touch effect that FIFA goes for (a concept that still eludes me a bit). This seemed like a meaningful addition to the series, and I was interested to see it in action with different teams.

In terms of licenses, one of the producers on the game said that they were working on “some big ones,” but they had nothing to announce at this time. It seemed that online modes, including Master League, would get some work as well, since that offering has never been near as functional as what's provided in FIFA each year. One would hope that the connectivity in general would be on par with what EA offers.

Outlook

PES 2015 struck me as a game on a mission to close some gaps between it and FIFA so that it can make an argument for its (arguably) more diverse gameplay offering. By improving the visuals and hopefully augmenting the online play and licenses, PES could better stand toe to toe with the juggernaut over at EA. It's hard to say whether Konami will take the time to market PES towards a broader range of players (it's done a poor job of that until now), but what I played was enjoyable enough when compared to the FIFA brand.

PES 2015 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 luijo @ 07/01/14 11:38 AM
Ctrl+F "Fifa". 14 matches. This is a hands on impression on PES15, or a comparisson between FIFA and Pes ?

# 2 LLKoolAid @ 07/01/14 11:54 AM
This article is a joke. I came here for PES not FIFA.

# 3 bxphenom7 @ 07/01/14 01:19 PM
Come on Konami! You can do this!

# 4 DBMcGee3 @ 07/01/14 02:23 PM
I really hope Konami gets it right this time. I actually really enjoyed PES 2014, but the responsiveness and creativity was limited when dribbling. I usually pick up both games anyway, it helps keep things from getting stale over the course of a long season.

# 5 Wiggy @ 07/01/14 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luijo
Ctrl+F "Fifa". 14 matches. This is a hands on impression on PES15, or a comparisson between FIFA and Pes ?
I stated at the outset that I'm more of a FIFA guy, and my experience with PES is limited. We only had a couple of people at E3, so our options for covering PES were limited. Since I'm not that familiar with the series, I can't provide some of the long-term comparisons that a hardcore PES fan could.

# 6 mjarz02 @ 07/01/14 05:03 PM
Since I play fifa way more than I've played pes, I appreciate the comparisons.

# 7 inkcil @ 07/01/14 05:31 PM
i welcome the comparisons. Most of us want to know how the games are stacking up against each other.

# 8 McG @ 07/02/14 11:33 AM
PES is the game that introduced me to Soccer/Football back about 7 years ago, so for that I'll always be thankful. Since then I've been more than disappointed with the franchise. I'm hoping the game can make a comeback to what it was when I first played it because I give it 100% credit for introducing me to the international club level of football, which I now love. FIFA is a game I get every year and PES is a game I try almost every year, but FIFA keeps me hooked (which makes me sick because I really dislike EA). Either way I love the fact that we have two different options for a game, which keeps the improvements coming. Wish the same could be said about the NFL, been getting robbed by Madden for years.

Good luck to PES, I'm always rooting for it to become great, again.

# 9 LingeringRegime @ 07/02/14 05:57 PM
Thanks for the impressions.

It is always my favorite sports game, and I hope that doesn't change this year.

# 10 therizing02 @ 07/05/14 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee

just to comment regarding this.. and I'm sure I'm not the only who thinks this but this game doesn't need to close the gap when talking about gameplay as that IS the only reason I even play PES more at the moment than FIFA is because of that part. It just plays a better game of football... if it didn't I wouldn't even touch PES because FIFA has every thing else that I love. PES needs to close the gap in terms of online play and extra options and maybe even licenses... although I can deal with the lack of licenses because the option files I use seem to do just as good of a job as FIFA's licenses if not better in some cases.

imo... despite the lack of licenses... online play settings and quality... and other extras... I still feel PES 2014 is the better footie game than even FIFA 14 on PS4.

I really hope a lot of people take notice of this post, steveeee. IMO, FIFA is the most overrated game on the market from a game play perspective and PES is light years ahead of EA Canada. Too many people are fooled by the commentary, presentation, licenses, and hype to see the differences. It's too bad. This is the first year since 2007 that FIFA will not be a day one purchase. FIFA 14 and the World Cup games were a joke from a game play perspective.

# 11 DBMcGee3 @ 07/07/14 04:50 PM
Konami has a lot of great info about the game on their site now. Whether it's all accurate remains to be seen, but as a fan of the series it all sounds amazing to me. They even mention weekly roster/ratings updates!!!

https://www.konami.com/news16.php

# 12 brinks @ 07/07/14 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I really hope a lot of people take notice of this post, steveeee. IMO, FIFA is the most overrated game on the market from a game play perspective and PES is light years ahead of EA Canada. Too many people are fooled by the commentary, presentation, licenses, and hype to see the differences. It's too bad. This is the first year since 2007 that FIFA will not be a day one purchase. FIFA 14 and the World Cup games were a joke from a game play perspective.
As with most EA titles, FIFA suffers from AI that's easily broken. No matter how you use the sliders, the code becomes predictable and you can have success doing the same things. And it carries over to user versus user. There are some structural things about player movement and reactions that are poor, but it's fundamentally, a complete lack of unpredictability that makes the game boring after a fashion.

PES does a much better job with this. What AI players will do in any given situation seems more varied, while still be a "correct" outcome. Not great by any means, but much better. Especially if you play with and against different teams and styles often.

# 13 LingeringRegime @ 07/07/14 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks
As with most EA titles, FIFA suffers from AI that's easily broken. No matter how you use the sliders, the code becomes predictable and you can have success doing the same things. And it carries over to user versus user. There are some structural things about player movement and reactions that are poor, but it's fundamentally, a complete lack of unpredictability that makes the game boring after a fashion.

PES does a much better job with this. What AI players will do in any given situation seems more varied, while still be a "correct" outcome. Not great by any means, but much better. Especially if you play with and against different teams and styles often.
Great points.

This weekend I had more free time than usual on my hands, so I played with random teams, Superstar difficulty, and all manual controls. Amazing games. I usually play on Professional, but since the patch the game to me plays so much better with realistic fouls, etc, so I decided to crank up the difficulty for the challenge. The only huge issue I have with it still is the cursor switching on defense. Sometimes it doesn't switch to the player I want.

Here are the games that I played and each game was so different than the others.

Spoiler

# 14 half-fast @ 07/25/14 08:04 PM
I was underwhelmed by '14, and have been by every release since PES 5 or 6? Cant remember which one. PES '14 had so many things I liked, and so many animations and gameplay sequences that just looked plain out more realistic than FIFA, but the goalies were a killer, and also the controls ... imo FIFA has far better controls, especially since I play all manual, it didnt seem like PES manual controls were any good whatsoever.

I really do hope '15 on next gen is amazing.

# 15 SimonDD @ 07/29/14 04:41 AM
I like that FIFA has a competitor so they force each other to keep innovating, but I'll stick with FIFA

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.