Home
Feature Article
Pure Pool Hands-On Impressions

I had a chance to check out Pure Pool at E3 2014, and it looks to provide a slick game of billiards for PC, Xbox One and PS4. It certainly seems like it won't be lacking for features either, as it's got all sorts of career options, challenges, online hooks and even downloadable profiles (much like Forza 5's “drivatars”). The game comes from VooFoo Studios, developers of Hustle Kings, as well as publisher Ripstone.

The first thing I noticed was how well the game plays, as it's super intuitive to pick up a controller and get playing. You basically pull back on the right stick for power and push forward to take the shot, and there was a real tactile sense of weight and momentum on the shot stick. It was easy to add a bit of spin or “English” when needed, and the ability to hit the ball exactly where I wanted felt great. There was a guide line to show how the cue ball and target would go after the shot, but these got less precise the further away I got from the target ball, which seemed like a good compromise. It's also possible to turn off the guides completely, which will suit many purists, I'm sure. Still, as it was set on default, the game felt super breezy and enjoyable, and I was totally in control of what I was doing.

Pure Pool looks great as well, with beautifully detailed table felt (that can get chalk marks on it) and photo-realistic billiard balls. Even the background felt a lot more alive than in other billiard/poker/dart games, with a room that had some hustle and bustle. There is a neat little trick the game pulls when you're going for the eight ball, as the lights dim and focus on the shot. It looks like the focus mode from the underrated Table Tennis from Rockstar Games. The physics feel accurate to real-life billiards, with appropriate caroms and kisses off balls and some satisfying bounces off the rails. It's also worth nothing that the camera angle gets the action right down on the table, and it totally works. There isn't the detachment of top-down billiards, as has been the case in previous titles.

There seems to be a reasonable number of game types to play, including 8-ball, 9-ball and several other novelty variants. There are computer-controlled characters that have specific tendencies to play against, and there are a whole host of career tournaments and challenges to try and unlock. All of this is presented with a simple UI that pops out from the side of the screen, and it's really easy to change what you want to do on the fly. The minimalist nature of everything focuses the action on the pool while keeping everything looking classy.

There looks to be a whole host of multiplayer options in Pure Pool, including local multiplayer, online head-to-head multiplayer and downloadable “DNA” profiles that mimic the ways your friends play when they aren't around. The profiles concept sounds quite interesting, as it will track your play style and tendencies but also fun stuff like whether you choose high ball or low ball (stripes or solids).

Outlook

In talking to the developers of the game, it's clear they have a passion for making a good product. From what I was able to play, this looks like a fun downloadable that will provide a rock-solid billiards experience that also has legs. If they hit their goal price point of $10, I think it will be a strong proposition on any of the available platforms.

Pure Pool Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Shakedowncapo @ 07/09/14 10:44 PM
So, its early summer...Where's the game?!

# 2 Pappy Knuckles @ 07/24/14 10:19 PM
Looks like this is finally coming out next week. Can't wait to play.

# 3 countryboy @ 07/25/14 09:51 AM
outside of Golf Club, this has been the my most anticipated game this summer.

# 4 ILiveForThis @ 07/25/14 02:40 PM
I'll be purchasing Day 1. If enough people have it, I wouldn't mind running a little league.

# 5 Shakedowncapo @ 07/25/14 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Looks like this is finally coming out next week. Can't wait to play.
Finally...

# 6 countryboy @ 07/28/14 02:37 PM
what is the price? Anyone know?

# 7 manny2012 @ 07/29/14 12:37 AM
I read they are trying to keep a 10 buck price point, other than that can't find any other info on it

# 8 countryboy @ 07/29/14 07:59 AM
thanks!

Need to swing by somewhere and pick up a PSN card.

# 9 Pappy Knuckles @ 07/29/14 09:31 AM
I was expecting to see this in the store today, but I guess the article did say that it releases on the 30th in North America. I'll say one thing though, the company that makes this game has horrible marketing. You can hardly find anything about it on the internet. When Pure Chess came out it was the same thing. They never even gave a release date, it just happened to show up one day.

# 10 rspencer86 @ 07/29/14 11:26 AM
Quote:
I was expecting to see this in the store today, but I guess the article did say that it releases on the 30th in North America. I'll say one thing though, the company that makes this game has horrible marketing. You can hardly find anything about it on the internet. When Pure Chess came out it was the same thing. They never even gave a release date, it just happened to show up one day.
This tweet from the official Playstation account says it will be available today:

I'll definitely be downloading it when it's available. I spent untold hours playing random people in Yahoo! Pool when I was in high school, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this much more realistic version.

# 11 Pappy Knuckles @ 07/29/14 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
This tweet from the official Playstation account says it will be available today:

I'll definitely be downloading it when it's available. I spent untold hours playing random people in Yahoo! Pool when I was in high school, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this much more realistic version.
Thanks, Spencer. I was a Yahoo Pool guy back in the day too, lol. I was never really all that great in it, or in real life pool, but I enjoy playing.

# 12 JBoo2911 @ 07/29/14 01:41 PM
Can't wait to check out this gm. I agree the marketing of this gm is very poor. Should be on PS store on the 30th, finally! Been waiting for this release for couple months now.

Correction, from post above. Should be out today! Even better

# 13 jyoung @ 07/29/14 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
what is the price? Anyone know?
The PlayStation blog posted above mentioned a $10 price point.

Edit: However, it is up now in the PS4 store with a $12.99 price. Maybe the PS+ discount isn't showing up in the system yet?

# 14 Pappy Knuckles @ 07/29/14 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The PlayStation blog posted above mentioned a $10 price point.

Edit: However, it is up now in the PS4 store with a $12.99 price. Maybe the PS+ discount isn't showing up in the system yet?
It shows up as $9.09 when you put it in the cart with the PS+ discount.

# 15 countryboy @ 07/29/14 02:23 PM
Quote:
It shows up as $9.09 when you put it in the cart with the PS+ discount.
Sweet!

Thanks!

Can't wait to d/l and play tonight

# 16 jyoung @ 07/29/14 02:37 PM
Nice, it looks like the PS+ discount is active now.

Does anyone know how the league system works? I am trying to setup a PS4 league for everyone to join.

# 17 jyoung @ 07/29/14 03:08 PM
Streaming now for those who want a look at the game:

http://www.twitch.tv/jyoungos

# 18 rspencer86 @ 07/29/14 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Nice, it looks like the PS+ discount is active now.

Does anyone know how the league system works? I am trying to setup a PS4 league for everyone to join.
Leagues? Wow, that's awesome. Count me in on that action.

# 19 jyoung @ 07/29/14 03:22 PM
I figured out how to send league invites, so I sent two to StevieAces and PappyKnuckles.

# 20 stevieaces @ 07/29/14 03:37 PM
I'll join up when I jump back on PSN. From the little bit of time I have played, the ball physics are real nice although I havent tried any skill shots like Jump or Masse yet. 1 thing I cant seem to find is overhead view of the table. Its gotta be in there somewhere I hope.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.