Home
Feature Article
Pure Pool Hands-On Impressions

I had a chance to check out Pure Pool at E3 2014, and it looks to provide a slick game of billiards for PC, Xbox One and PS4. It certainly seems like it won't be lacking for features either, as it's got all sorts of career options, challenges, online hooks and even downloadable profiles (much like Forza 5's “drivatars”). The game comes from VooFoo Studios, developers of Hustle Kings, as well as publisher Ripstone.

The first thing I noticed was how well the game plays, as it's super intuitive to pick up a controller and get playing. You basically pull back on the right stick for power and push forward to take the shot, and there was a real tactile sense of weight and momentum on the shot stick. It was easy to add a bit of spin or “English” when needed, and the ability to hit the ball exactly where I wanted felt great. There was a guide line to show how the cue ball and target would go after the shot, but these got less precise the further away I got from the target ball, which seemed like a good compromise. It's also possible to turn off the guides completely, which will suit many purists, I'm sure. Still, as it was set on default, the game felt super breezy and enjoyable, and I was totally in control of what I was doing.

Pure Pool looks great as well, with beautifully detailed table felt (that can get chalk marks on it) and photo-realistic billiard balls. Even the background felt a lot more alive than in other billiard/poker/dart games, with a room that had some hustle and bustle. There is a neat little trick the game pulls when you're going for the eight ball, as the lights dim and focus on the shot. It looks like the focus mode from the underrated Table Tennis from Rockstar Games. The physics feel accurate to real-life billiards, with appropriate caroms and kisses off balls and some satisfying bounces off the rails. It's also worth nothing that the camera angle gets the action right down on the table, and it totally works. There isn't the detachment of top-down billiards, as has been the case in previous titles.

There seems to be a reasonable number of game types to play, including 8-ball, 9-ball and several other novelty variants. There are computer-controlled characters that have specific tendencies to play against, and there are a whole host of career tournaments and challenges to try and unlock. All of this is presented with a simple UI that pops out from the side of the screen, and it's really easy to change what you want to do on the fly. The minimalist nature of everything focuses the action on the pool while keeping everything looking classy.

There looks to be a whole host of multiplayer options in Pure Pool, including local multiplayer, online head-to-head multiplayer and downloadable “DNA” profiles that mimic the ways your friends play when they aren't around. The profiles concept sounds quite interesting, as it will track your play style and tendencies but also fun stuff like whether you choose high ball or low ball (stripes or solids).

Outlook

In talking to the developers of the game, it's clear they have a passion for making a good product. From what I was able to play, this looks like a fun downloadable that will provide a rock-solid billiards experience that also has legs. If they hit their goal price point of $10, I think it will be a strong proposition on any of the available platforms.

Pure Pool Videos
Member Comments
# 81 jyoung @ 08/04/14 07:14 PM
We have a league started, but every time I log on to invite people, the player list is down. And the way the game works, you can't invite people to leagues when the player list goes away.

# 82 rspencer86 @ 08/04/14 07:23 PM
The online problems are definitely frustrating. I'm having fun playing through Career mode, but the real fun is playing against real people.

# 83 ExtremeGamer @ 08/05/14 06:46 AM
The PR people contacted me after reading my user blog here reviewing the game. They said that my issues are in the process of being fixed. That being the top bar displaying everyone logging on and off even if not on your friends list, the friends list in game completely and the online issues overall.

So sit tight I guess, but sounds like a fix is incoming.

# 84 bubba4 @ 08/05/14 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Does anyone know if it possible to turn off the names that constantly pop up announcing they are now online? I'd like to not see this. Thanks

After a lot of searching the web, I found that this can't be turned off. I hope they patch it.
If you are playing offline like I do most of the time, you can turn off your internet connection temporarily in the PS4 options. You won't have the network stuff available but you can play the career mode and practice games without those annoying name pop ups.

# 85 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/05/14 01:13 PM
One Gripe I have about the in game gameplay, is that I can't get a good look at the ball I want to hit when I step away from the table. How I line up a shot in real life is I eye up the ball I am aiming at and look a straight line into the pocket. I then pick up a point of reference on the ball that I am aiming to hit.

# 86 Braves22 @ 08/05/14 09:52 PM
They need called pockets at least for the 8 or 9 if nothing else also I don't like the fact that if you make an opponents ball it's a ball in hand foul regardless if it was a legal shot

# 87 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/05/14 11:09 PM
I've been doing the 9-ball pro career and I'm stuck on Madison again lol. The shortened bar on this difficulty feels pretty realistic. I'm shooting like I do when I play pool at the bar or something, I've definitely come down to earth a little bit. Hopefully I can complete it, though.

I wish that there was a way to set up balls and practice shots. I'm horrible at rail shots and it kills me seeing the computer drain them with ease. If I could even get 50% better at them, it would improve my results a lot.

# 88 Braves22 @ 08/06/14 12:00 AM
Ugh....finally made 8 ball on the break against someone online, automatic loss for me. 8 ball should be a win

# 89 ajs41072 @ 08/06/14 12:13 AM
I saw this mentioned earlier, but called pockets on a shot at the 8 ball is needed.

Online quick games would be better if it were a series, like 4 out of 7, 5 out of 9. You just keep offering up rematches, but i'd like a finite number to play for to try win the series.

Also, what's the advantage of using a different cue? Does the yellow aiming line appear longer? It seems to show up offline, but not as much when I play online.

# 90 jyoung @ 08/06/14 11:18 AM
The differences between cues and tables are just cosmetic. They have no impact on performance.

Instead of stepping away from the table and walking around to line up long shots, I recommend just holding square to stand up. It's much easier to keep your target spot in mind, that way. I also find the "Master" aim icon to be a little easier to shoot with than the "Pro" icon, so try that out if you've been playing on "Pro."

# 91 ajs41072 @ 08/08/14 12:30 AM
Played online 9 ball tonight. Third game. I sink the 9 ball and win. Lead the series 2-1. An error screen comes up saying the data is corrupt. The game closes and I get back to the home screen. I launch the game. Again, data is corrupt. I click ok, it asks if I want to play the tutorial, as if I first played the game. It wiped all the career matches I played, but thankfully not the online matches, as I still had level 13, though it didn't count the three games of 9 ball because I got to level 14 after game one. Strange.

# 92 Motown @ 08/09/14 02:36 PM
Is there anyway to move the pool cue around the the cue ball, other than direct center? thanks

# 93 jyoung @ 08/09/14 03:06 PM
The left joystick moves the cue stick angle up/down.

The face buttons let you move the cue stick left/right to create ball spin.

There is no way to generate a jump shot, unfortunately.

# 94 Motown @ 08/09/14 05:10 PM
Ok, figured out how to move cue stick around cue ball... Left stick & O at the same time...& yes you can perform jump shots...I just did

# 95 Blzer @ 08/09/14 09:33 PM
Played this game for a few minutes. It's fun, but it doesn't feel like there's any "weight" in my shots. I wish everything was a bit heavier.

# 96 jyoung @ 08/09/14 10:15 PM
What technique are you using to do the jump shot?

I sat in practice mode for a while when the game first came out trying to pull one off, but I never could get the ball to jump off the ground without going completely off the table.

In real life, all you have to do is strike down hard over the top of the ball. When I do that in Pure Pool, though, all it does is rip a hard ground shot that never leaves the table.

# 97 Motown @ 08/09/14 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
What technique are you using to do the jump shot?

I sat in practice mode for a while when the game first came out trying to pull one off, but I never could get the ball to jump off the ground without going completely off the table.

In real life, all you have to do is strike down hard over the top of the ball. When I do that in Pure Pool, though, all it does is rip a hard ground shot that never leaves the table.
You have to move the cue down to the lowest point, bring stick up & strike w/ english.

# 98 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/11/14 09:45 PM
I was able to get a few matches in online tonight, but I still had opponents disconnecting on me too. I really hope that the patch alleviates a lot of the problems.

# 99 ODogg @ 08/12/14 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I was able to get a few matches in online tonight, but I still had opponents disconnecting on me too. I really hope that the patch alleviates a lot of the problems.
When's the patch supposed to drop?

# 100 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/12/14 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
When's the patch supposed to drop?
They're working on one is all I know. I don't have any idea when it comes out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.