Home
Feature Article
Pure Pool Hands-On Impressions

I had a chance to check out Pure Pool at E3 2014, and it looks to provide a slick game of billiards for PC, Xbox One and PS4. It certainly seems like it won't be lacking for features either, as it's got all sorts of career options, challenges, online hooks and even downloadable profiles (much like Forza 5's “drivatars”). The game comes from VooFoo Studios, developers of Hustle Kings, as well as publisher Ripstone.

The first thing I noticed was how well the game plays, as it's super intuitive to pick up a controller and get playing. You basically pull back on the right stick for power and push forward to take the shot, and there was a real tactile sense of weight and momentum on the shot stick. It was easy to add a bit of spin or “English” when needed, and the ability to hit the ball exactly where I wanted felt great. There was a guide line to show how the cue ball and target would go after the shot, but these got less precise the further away I got from the target ball, which seemed like a good compromise. It's also possible to turn off the guides completely, which will suit many purists, I'm sure. Still, as it was set on default, the game felt super breezy and enjoyable, and I was totally in control of what I was doing.

Pure Pool looks great as well, with beautifully detailed table felt (that can get chalk marks on it) and photo-realistic billiard balls. Even the background felt a lot more alive than in other billiard/poker/dart games, with a room that had some hustle and bustle. There is a neat little trick the game pulls when you're going for the eight ball, as the lights dim and focus on the shot. It looks like the focus mode from the underrated Table Tennis from Rockstar Games. The physics feel accurate to real-life billiards, with appropriate caroms and kisses off balls and some satisfying bounces off the rails. It's also worth nothing that the camera angle gets the action right down on the table, and it totally works. There isn't the detachment of top-down billiards, as has been the case in previous titles.

There seems to be a reasonable number of game types to play, including 8-ball, 9-ball and several other novelty variants. There are computer-controlled characters that have specific tendencies to play against, and there are a whole host of career tournaments and challenges to try and unlock. All of this is presented with a simple UI that pops out from the side of the screen, and it's really easy to change what you want to do on the fly. The minimalist nature of everything focuses the action on the pool while keeping everything looking classy.

There looks to be a whole host of multiplayer options in Pure Pool, including local multiplayer, online head-to-head multiplayer and downloadable “DNA” profiles that mimic the ways your friends play when they aren't around. The profiles concept sounds quite interesting, as it will track your play style and tendencies but also fun stuff like whether you choose high ball or low ball (stripes or solids).

Outlook

In talking to the developers of the game, it's clear they have a passion for making a good product. From what I was able to play, this looks like a fun downloadable that will provide a rock-solid billiards experience that also has legs. If they hit their goal price point of $10, I think it will be a strong proposition on any of the available platforms.

Pure Pool Videos
Member Comments
# 101 jyoung @ 08/12/14 08:54 PM
The patch is supposedly going through certification at the moment, so it will be out whenever Sony finishes testing it. VooFoo submitted it a few days ago.

# 102 ODogg @ 08/12/14 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
They're working on one is all I know. I don't have any idea when it comes out.
Ok well at least I can play people's DNA...

Btw don't play Extremegamers DNA, LOL...it's impossible... He is like 59-3 or something

# 103 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/12/14 08:59 PM
It would be nice if ranked matches defaulted to something other than amateur. It would make things a bit more interesting. I suppose that's why they let us set it to whatever we want in the leagues, though.

# 104 Braves22 @ 08/12/14 09:16 PM
I hope all the online issues get ironed out soon I've lost a few games because of the server problems. Really excited to get a league going though. What are your guys world ranking?

# 105 thaSLAB @ 08/16/14 01:28 PM
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who just now realized yhat the controller light changes with the color of your table felt... lol

(Sorry if this has already been discussed)

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro

# 106 ODogg @ 08/16/14 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who just now realized yhat the controller light changes with the color of your table felt... lol

(Sorry if this has already been discussed)

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro
Haha cool I've never noticed that...great catch

# 107 rspencer86 @ 08/26/14 12:26 PM
I know we are now in Madden mode, and Golf Club is also out, but this is a nice update for Pure Pool... maybe time to get a league going?

Quote:
New game mode – UK Black-Ball (UK 8-Ball) added to the roster.

New ‘Master’ difficulty with aim aids turned off.

9-Ball free table – If the player has 9-Ball as their default game type the 9-Ball rack will be set up in free-play mode rather than the current forced 8-Ball.

General AI improvements including:

Improved ball in hand placement

Ability to get out of snookers reduced

Amateur difficulty slightly toned down

Removed long AI wait times when ball near to a cushion

Challenge notification icon – This displays an icon next to the players ‘Games’ option to inform them they have received a challenge from another player.

Offline Player Challenge notification – System level. Invites appear in player’s notification even if they don’t have Pure Pool installed.

Opponent player card accessible mid-game – Allows the player to see their opponent’s player card at any time during a match.

Opponent able to view player’s table cam – Allows the player to see through the camera of the opponent when walking around the table.

Player online feed only for friends – Removed player online notifications. Only displays friends who come online.

Diamonds on the table rails to help players when shooting doubles.

Yellow aim line made more distinct to reduce confusion between the two lines.

Potting the black from the break now re-racks the balls.

Player is now asked if they want to play against a DNA opponent or wants to continue searching for another online player.

DNA now displayed next to the user name to clearly mark it out as an AI player.

Server optimization.

Opponents cue movement made visible in real time in online matches.

Bug fix for players games not timing out and the game being awarded to the absent player.

Bug fix to stop the players changing their difficulty mid-challenge and posting their score/time on the incorrect leaderboard.

Fix for rankings and career mode trophies not being awarded (should retrospectively unlock any the player should have been awarded after one career match).

Fix for losing spin and table control when pressing the triangle button during a shot on PS4.

Fix for not being able to select language type on PC.

Fix for inverted controls when ball-in-hand on PC.

Fix for sound only coming out of headphones on PC.

Vibration added for power shots.

# 108 ODogg @ 08/26/14 02:40 PM
I'm still playing this...love this game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 109 Mabster @ 08/28/14 11:37 PM
I'm still playing too. Usually the last game I play of the night. Especially if I have a couple too many beers that night and the ball isn't flying so straight on TGC.

Huge patch I wasn't expecting. Was hoping they'd let the stand up cam be a little more free instead of just rotation around the table in a static angle. I do not see any notes about that though.

# 110 ODogg @ 08/29/14 04:15 PM
I love playing this game when I get drunk

# 111 Motown @ 08/30/14 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I love playing this game when I get drunk
I tend to rattle the pockets more, when I'm poundin' 'em down.

# 112 jyoung @ 08/30/14 06:30 PM
They may have taken too long to get this patch out there. I tried to play an online 9-ball quick match during primetime U.S.A. East hours last night and it just sat there searching for about 10 minutes before I finally gave up. It looks like the few people who did buy the game have already deleted it and forgotten about it.

# 113 AUChase @ 08/30/14 08:23 PM
I'm certainly down for a league.

# 114 Braves22 @ 08/30/14 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
I'm certainly down for a league.
Same here now that the server issues got worked out we should start an OS league

# 115 rspencer86 @ 09/04/14 01:17 AM
Interested in joining an OS League? Go here for details/discussion: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2046547744

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.