Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: How to Improve the Presentation

MLB: The Show gets high praise around here, and usually for good reason. Despite being the only true console baseball title available, the developers haven’t become complacent. Every year, we see some nice innovations and revisions that demonstrate that the title isn’t taking its sole status for granted.

However, if there’s one area (outside online gameplay) that gets a bulk of the criticism, it’s The Show’s presentation. I try to emphasize in my review each year that The Show’s presentation (including commentary, camera angles, replays, etc.) isn’t bad, per se. Developments like authentic broadcast angles and real-time camera shots have revolutionized how virtual baseball looks. And in terms of replays and on-screen stats, no one does it better.

All of that said, MLB 14: The Show, from a visual and auditory standpoint, just feels stale. I’m not sure if it’s because I play so many games (100+ in a season, compared with 16 or so in Madden), but I can recite some lines before they happen. Some of the pre-rendered cut scenes are also pretty predictable.

So, allow me to play head developer for a minute, and recommend a few changes that would spruce things up.

MLB Network Integration

I love network overlays, primarily because of the real-life context it offers. Having familiar hosts, logos, wipes, music, etc., gives us a bridge into the world our games inhabit. They help sell this alternate reality where we control our team and make things happen. The MLB Network is the perfect fit for The Show;it's the “default” channel around my house from free agency through the World Series.

I’m not sure we need a virtual Matt Vasgersian or Bob Costas skirting the Uncanny Valley to make that happen, though. Using familiar graphics, sounds, and terminology can bring the flavor of the network to the game.

I’ll provide more specific examples later, but utilizing the familiarity of the MLB Network would provide greater context and realism to our virtual worlds.

Longer Memories

This idea builds off of one of the current strengths of the series: in-game history. I love when the announcers “flash us back to the x inning…” to show a replay of a key moment. Typically, it’s an accurate example of a game-changing play, and usually well-timed within the game broadcast.

However, when I watch a game on tv, the commentators and producers often call up key moments from a player’s year or career, not just the current game. If the broadcasters mention that Chase Utley delivered a walk-off hit the day before, I’d like to see it. If Mike Trout is red hot, let’s see a little package showcasing his successful week.

As someone with little technical knowledge, I’m not sure how possible this is. However, I know I can save full highlights and replays to the PS4. Would it possible for the game to automatically save “key” plays for later use?

Depending on the technology limitations, this could lead to bigger things. Maybe The Show could offer a “Plays of the Month” series, as seen on MLB Network--20 or so quick plays from around the league during that month. Even end of the season awards could come with a video package of those outstanding players.

Greater League Awareness

When I play Out of the Park Baseball, I love reading the news articles from around the league. Even the seemingly frivolous stories help, again, to provide context and promote a league outside my own franchise.

We’ve lost these kinds of details in MLB: The Show. We used to have local newspapers to peruse, but they’ve given way to static menus (Who’s Hot, etc.). I love playing MLB 14: The Show’s franchise mode, but too often I feel like the other teams exist only to play me.

The game could finally provide an rival to NFL 2k5’s weekly Sportscenter show; a feature pretty much unanswered for the past 10 years. Tying into the MLB Network overlay, we could get a weekly or daily “MLB Tonight” style show which breaks down the events from around the league. Again, replays could enhance the scoreboard watching. With baseball’s love of statistics, a quick audio recap of league leaders or streaks would be welcome. The game sims everything; let it highlight special performances or feats.

Beyond these, I’d love to see the implementation of live “look ins”: a quick interruption of “your” game to watch a key at-bat or pitch from around the league. This could also be how the game merges its two primary modes: franchise and Road to the Show. Play your RttS at-bats while playing a franchise game, through a quick look at an “impact prospect's” next at-bat.

These are just a few suggestions, admittedly from a technologically limited perspective. However, most speak to context and setting--placing our team or player into a living world, instead of one just inhabited by text, menus, and repetitive commentary.

What would you like to see, presentation-wise, included in the next version of MLB: The Show?

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 brrmikey @ 07/31/14 02:59 PM
IMO, I think any future changes should be qualified by the frame rate. I may be in the minority here, but I feel that any upgrades in presentation will be soured by a bad frame rate.
I think the plan should be:
1. Ok, we added MLB Network integration...frame rate ok? good...check
2. Ok, we added x things associated with better commentary...frame rate ok? good...check
3. We added more custom things xyz that have to do with a more intelligent crowd during situations...how's the frame rate? good...check
4. Wow, frame rate is suffering...we have to remove all the people walking around in the stands, vendors, our idea of having fans actually catching foul balls and homeruns, we have to scrap fans leaning over the wall...wow, we did all that...frame rate good? great, check...some of these things will just have to wait for a future release.
...you get the picture...the above is just me making up stuff in any order. i'm just trying to say that going forward the game needs to lock in at 60 fps or people will complain about the frame rate and devs hard work will be under appreciated.

me personally, i love the game and would buy it next year if all they fixed were issues from this year's release (most popular pain points), got the frame rate at 60 fps, and fixed the lighting issues.

# 22 Heroesandvillains @ 07/31/14 03:26 PM
Another feature I'd like to see added are replays that aren't always in slow motion.

Great article. League awareness additions are the ones I'd love to see the most. Especially "look-ins" and highlights from around the league. Franchise still feels like you're in an isolation chamber. Getting a feel for what's going on around the league outside of your team of choice is practically non-existsant at the moment, which is a shame, considering how much about the sport this game gets right.

# 23 Russell_SCEA @ 07/31/14 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Yep....I've been preaching this for years....a This Week in Baseball type weekly wrap up show would be exactly what The Show needs to make the franchise mode feel less sterile.
A DAILY wrap up would put it right up front.

Just something.......I read guys saying "I hope SCEA reads this"....as if they don't have all of these ideas already. They do...trust me.
It comes down to implementation and time.

(IMO...they should make every effort to find the time.....but I don't run SCEA! )

Again....while we might see some "canned" highlights in a wrap up show....I don't think even next gen(this gen) has the horses for loading up two game simultaneously in order to give us in game breaks with visuals during our game....sadly.

M.K.
Knight165

Pretty much

# 24 burjeffton @ 07/31/14 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanchl
Authentic and appropriate crowd reaction.

Just moments ago, I served up a walk-off 2-run homerun in the bottom of the 10th in Miller Park to Ryan Braun. I thought I had made a good pitch so I went in to study the replay. Well, it wasn't a good pitch, but what stood out was watching the crowd behind home plate...zero reaction. It made the experience so bland.
This. I'm really excited to see what SCEA can do with more time focusing on the stadium environment. There's times when the game is at a fairly unimportant moment, and yet the fans look like their in a bar-room brawl (swinging arms, swaying around, etc). Appropriate fan interaction will add a ton, especially when home runs or key hits happen.

# 25 statum71 @ 07/31/14 06:02 PM
I love the idea of an MLB Tonight style show.

These are some great ideas. I'm glad Russell reads this site and Sony seems to listen.

# 26 pudgee691 @ 07/31/14 09:20 PM
If they could do some sort of dramatic intro to key series or games (such as in the playoffs) that would be awesome. I do notice while I am currently in the playoffs after playing every game so far that the crowd seems to get louder as the number of innings left dwindle. If there could be just scenes where it would show MLB network or something before a replay would be awesome as well.

# 27 HustlinOwl @ 07/31/14 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayPower
2K had enough time and resources to do it more than a decade ago. In fact EA Sports NHL '93 or '94 had highlights, which was unbelievable at the time. So don't really see why SCEA can't today. Especially with all these gimmicky features like diamond dynasty (still don't really know what it is)
see where that got them, maybe they shouldve put resources into actual gameplay instead of commentary that gets "X" through after 10-20 games. Pretty simple DD is ultimate team, but nice try

# 28 Knight165 @ 07/31/14 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
see where that got them, maybe they shouldve put resources into actual gameplay instead of commentary that gets "X" through after 10-20 games
I think he meant NFL2K

But that's neither here nor there.......different times...different companies....and I doubt that it Ramone was saying it can't be done or there isn't enough resources to do it.

M.K.
Knight165

# 29 HustlinOwl @ 07/31/14 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I think he meant NFL2K

But that's neither here nor there.......different times...different companies....and I doubt that it Ramone was saying it can't be done or there isn't enough resources to do it.

M.K.
Knight165
I sure hope so, but like you said different times and companies. Yes Ramone never once said it couldnt be done

# 30 Clarityman @ 07/31/14 11:40 PM
Nobody is talking about this and it makes me sad.

Please! Bring back signature batter walkups and full walkup presentation!

Pedroia looks like Jeter when he comes to bat in 14! We know SCEA has Dustin's authentic walkup motions from their motion capture session; they had it right for five years prior! The default walkup motions are for the birds! Nearly every single player in the league asks for time like Jeter?? Whut?? Please bring them back!!!

# 31 og236 @ 07/31/14 11:48 PM
I want the newspaper back in franchise mode

# 32 aukevin @ 08/01/14 09:26 AM
I want to see more stats on my RTTS player when he comes up to bat. The first time they usually show some good stat like home/away splits, RHP/LHP splits, series average etc, unless you are leading the league in one of the big categories, then they always show that first time up. But the next 3 or 4 times up to bat all they show is your current game stats, I'd like to see something else like the splits or series average, or average against the pitcher, avg with RISP, career numbers with bases loaded, etc. Lots of stuff could be shown and talked about.

Beginning of games is really boring in RTTS and franchise, need to do something there like show a recap of the previous game with a couple highlights and however the top players were. Lots of dead air before and after the game, especially after the World Series, I couldn't believe how much dead air was after the World Series games while the cutscenes were showing. But even in a regular game have some audio when it shows the highlight plays of the game.

More advanced commentary is a big thing. Talk about the players. Give history lessons on players from actual games played in the game, not just historical stuff from real life games. For example, mention that a player has been traded, was last year's Cy Young/MVP/Gold Glove winner, etc.

More could be done when viewing stats from the menus as well. Like show what team a player played for when looking at career numbers.

# 33 videobastard @ 08/01/14 10:00 AM
It would be refreshing to have a new commentary team and dialogue that has chemistry back and forth like an actual broadcast booth.

Gary thorne and harold reynolds would be nice combo for the show. Thorne's voice of excitement is engaging and would allow the users to be immersed into the presentation that this series have lacked for a while.

# 34 Blzer @ 08/01/14 12:36 PM
Authentic broadcast fielding camera, please. Six years being teased with it and still only available in no-doubt home runs (apparently less frequently now), instant replays, and Home Run Derby. Though even that camera should be slightly higher off the ground.

# 35 stlchamp10 @ 08/01/14 12:42 PM
If find it hard to believe that a 20 dollar game back in 2005 could do all of this but a game in 2014 and beyond can't.

# 36 aguero90 @ 08/01/14 02:28 PM
I know it won't be easy to do, but I've been dying for a new play-by-play man for a while now. Besides that, I'd love rtts to have more of a storyline, like NBA2k does. That would be awesome!

# 37 countryboy @ 08/01/14 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlchamp10
If find it hard to believe that a 20 dollar game back in 2005 could do all of this but a game in 2014 and beyond can't.
Quote:
Shhhhhh!!! Don't say that out loud!
I'm not sure why people act as if SCEA can't or won't do this.

Ramone clearly just responded to Knight's post as being spot on that they have these ideas and want to get some of the ideas, if not all, into the game. Just haven't been able to at this point.

People forget they re-wrote how hitting works, added new animations, built every single stadium in the game from the ground up for the PS4, worked on AI, and amongst a host of other things. But since something you want didn't make it, then the company suddenly becomes, lazy, incompetent, or both. :

# 38 analogdan @ 08/02/14 05:00 PM
I want the game to take pictures of my RTTS player's biggest moments and show them back to me later. I want to be able to see my player's first AA, AAA, and major league hits, first ALL star game, all complete with the uniform and gear my player was wearing at that time. Like a scrap book of RTTS highlights.

# 39 Sco291 @ 08/02/14 08:39 PM
Quote:
gimmicky features like diamond dynasty (still don't really know what it is)
I'm with ya on DD. I'm interested in hearing how many people, based on SCEA's info they get from each user, actually play the game mode. I felt like it was a waste. But besides the point, like someone else said, I think Ramone and Co. have a whole plethera of ideas that will blow our minds for upcoming iterations and for next year.

I will say though, cutscenes are brutal at times. Transitions from gameplay to cutscenes are soo choppy. That's gotta be fixed to make the presentation feel less detached.

# 40 Candymandagreat @ 08/05/14 09:01 AM
i disagree with this whole article. all that's needed is fluid, dynamic commentary and different commentators

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.