Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 15: Your First Impressions (Roundtable)

It's release night of Madden NFL 15, and so far it seems like release day is going about as planned. As our official review says, on the field Madden may play the best brand of football you can find. And while there are still some nagging issues, it seems the franchise is more than on the right track. However, it seems that when you get to the facade around the on-field gameplay that the title shows some weakness.

Most of our staff have gotten just as much playtime as most of you at this point, so here are some initial thoughts from the guys who will be covering the game in the coming days and weeks...

Phil Varckette: It's hard not to be wowed when looking for a first impression of Madden 15. The game is absolutely stunning to look at. Easily on par with other next-gen sports titles. But the real question is how does it play? Well I can say with my limited time with the game that it plays very well. While I do still believe animations need an overhaul, the game feels more organic, and just flat out plays better football than we've seen in years. I feel like the CPU AI is making better decisions, and presenting me with more of a challenge than in the past. And this is on All-Pro difficulty.

The X's and O's game seems to have improved. I don't feel like I'm getting lucky by stopping plays. I feel like I'm stopping them because I out-smarted the AI. I've noticed that if you stick with a 4 man rush a good CPU QB will pick you apart. To me, that's football. If I start to mix in blitzes I notice their completion percentages start to drop. This is how it should be in my opinion.

It seems like overall the game has more balance this year. Things that should be happening are happening, and things that aren't, aren't. While not perfect, the game feels like its getting to that sweet spot. It feels like EA wants us to learn how to play Madden like real football, and are finally giving us the gameplay to back it up.

Ben Vollmer: There's a lot to be happy about, with Madden '15. First and foremost, the game is beautiful. Madden has finally caught up to its peers in terms of visuals -- with the only outlier being a (still) funky physics system that results in a few eye sores. Secondly, the game plays a lot better. Everything from tighter passing lanes to defense actually being just as fun to play as offense helps give the game a fresh coat of paint.

But that doesn't mean the game is anywhere near perfect. Players still don't feel unique in the way that they play or look. Running animations are still pretty poor and they're often paired with odd animations. About one in every ten tackles, the ball carrier is flung backwards like they just ran into a rubber wall. Commentary is still really bland, but the presentation is a bit better overall. Though, I'm glad that gameplay took the brunt of the work for this iteration.

Madden '15 is a good game, and leaves the door open for the series to take some innovative and risky moves in the future. I think football fans can rejoice in the fact that we finally have something that is playable, fun, and plays pretty realistically.

Caley Roark: I agree with most of what my colleagues have said. Madden 15 looks very good on the PS4, especially with the newly added broadcast elements. I love the little video clips that introduce your QB--though I imagine they'll get old pretty quick. The menus also look good, but are a bit cumbersome; sometime flash gets in the way of functionality.

On the field, things are improved from last year. Running seems a bit more challenging. Defense has gotten a major overhaul--to the point where playing as a LB or CB is equally as fun as a DE. The tackling cone is not only unobtrusive, but also functional. In fact, I'm finding that I'm relying on it the more I play.

I also like the "professional" approach EA took to the Skills Challenge, incorporating real football strategy and reads into the training mode. As someone who love watching football, but doesn't understand 100% of the intricacies, I appreciate that I'm learning while I play.

I do see some issues, especially as others have pointed out in the animations. Also, what's that strange sound I sometimes hear when tackles are made? It sort of sounds like a beachball hitting a brick wall. And, for all of the improvements in the broadcast, commentary is still pretty bad. It's also time for EA to ditch their "own" broadcast IDs and use ESPN or the NFL Network.

As Chris stated in his review, this is probably the best Madden in years--at least from my initial plays. Hopefully the shine doesn't wear off too quickly...

Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MAGboyswifT27 @ 08/26/14 10:37 PM
Great reviews guys. I've felt the same as what you have posted, I'll be able to have more of a grasp on the game as I get to play more but for the most part this is a good foundation to build off of.

# 2 RexDEAFootball @ 08/26/14 10:45 PM
"It feels like EA wants us to learn how to play Madden like real football, and are finally giving us the gameplay to back it up."
"As someone who loves watching football, but doesn't understand 100% of the intricacies, I appreciate that I'm learning while I play."

This means a lot to us guys. Thanks.

# 3 thaprofessor33 @ 08/26/14 10:50 PM
The menus and play calling are really clumsy but enjoying the game play.

# 4 STLRams @ 08/26/14 11:07 PM
I've been very critical about Madden the past 7 years, but I will honestly say, I am really enjoying Madden 15 so far. The graphics the gameplay, lighting, camera angles, all kind of shocked me the first game I played. The game really looks like your are watching a CBS NFL game broadcast. Really liking the presentation, great foundation to build upon for future games. Need to play some more games to delve deeper into the game, but I was thinking to myself, as silly as it sounds, maybe NFL2K5 can finally rest in peace in the back of my mine and be replaced with Madden 15......

# 5 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 08/26/14 11:45 PM
I'm enjoying the game so far. My biggest issues are the constant player clipping/morphing post play & the sloppy physics. Too often I'm seeing players walk right through players laying on the field post play. I know it's probably challenging for EA being that there's so much going on the field at once, but if they can clean up the physics & eliminate the clipping/morphing it would make the game so much better. It really kills the immersion when I see it.

Gameplay is definitely better. Time for EA to really start to differentiate how players feel & animate. Signature animations are a must going forward.

# 6 DrYCeLL @ 08/27/14 12:28 AM
Aside from a hilarious 10 ft high backflip a DE did once, this Madden is awesome. Everything just feels so much better. Sure, there's always a list of things that could be done better(broadcast cam should be default for halftime shows, and should be on the right side of the field, for one), but I finally love getting into a game again. This is a great foundation to build on going forward. Still only 16 gigs, so there's plenty of space for better commentary and improved half-time shows and wrap-up shows and all the other glitz and glam. If they can make another leap like this next year, Madden will finally re-join the ranks of top-tier sports titles. This one is already well on its way.

Still haven't heard Manning's "Omaha" yet through the three games I played.

# 7 cmo9711 @ 08/27/14 12:36 AM
No joke! I threw a 40yd pass to a post rout to beat one of the safeties from the 49rs and scored a TD. The safety was upset sitting on his hands and knees in the end zone. One of his teammates came over to help him up and the guy shoved him. That small detail about the frustration of the guy getting beat immediately pulled me into the emotion of that moment!! I have to say ..... Best madden in a LONG time!!!

# 8 trey2k198003 @ 08/27/14 12:48 AM
Been playing it for 13 hrs and I have fallen in love with the game it isn't perfect but I man it is still pretty to look at the confidence aspect to he cfm is looking pretty cool and adds another layer of things to keep me entertained also I'm loving the new training system in the cfm I've got teddy bridge on my bench and in 3 games with no playtime he has 3000 do more than anyone else because I've put the most time into him I love it and it's really fast and easy to do.....scouting points have been redone you don't need nearly as many and it's kind of the same but eh all in all great game

# 9 fpliii @ 08/27/14 04:07 AM
Haven't played Madden in a few years, strongly considering picking this up for PS4. Couple of quick (closely related) gameplay questions:

1) Is passing more difficult? That is to say, is it more challenging to consistently complete passes?
2) Are users punished enough for attempting difficult passes and failing to complete them?

Apologies for my ignorance, only been following the leadup to the release loosely.

# 10 LorenzoDC @ 08/27/14 08:27 AM
I don't have an impression of the game, just a reaction to all the OS comments and impressions.

So far, this is the first Madden I have not bought at release since I started in 2008.

I'm REALLY glad to see the positive gameplay feedback. It has hit two of the marks for me that I had after last year's game: better core gameplay and better CPU AI.

As an offline franchise player, I can't buy the game while CFM stats are so far from anything reasonable, which messes up how CPU teams manage their rosters. If that gets fixed, I'll buy. If not, I'm afraid I won't.

I'd like to reward Rex and the gameplay team for all they've done with my dollars, but if the only mode I play is jacked, I just can't do it. It's really about the use of my time more than the money.

# 11 lmsedia @ 08/27/14 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
Haven't played Madden in a few years, strongly considering picking this up for PS4. Couple of quick (closely related) gameplay questions:

1) Is passing more difficult? That is to say, is it more challenging to consistently complete passes?
2) Are users punished enough for attempting difficult passes and failing to complete them?

Apologies for my ignorance, only been following the leadup to the release loosely.
1. Yes with non-elite qbs. I haven't messed with sliders yet, but I've heard that adjusting accuracy sliders really reinforces this.

2. Absolutely.

# 12 Demoncrom @ 08/27/14 09:15 AM
The game is not perfect by any measure. But so far I feel they have finally nailed the defense. Prior to exclusive deals I've been a big fan of playing rock solid D to win games and finally this year I can play like that and its effective. The QBs can still be OP, like Robert Griffin when 11 for 12 at one point on All Pro vs me last night which is inaccurate since he is only hit 65% of his throws in real life, but things happen.

There is a propensity for the AI to complete 3 and long too often and WR to DB mismatches seem to only be exploitable by the AI once again. There are simply too many time that I see a DB matching a superior WR step for step even when I am mixing up routes.

Legacy issues still are all over the place, from the pathetic rag-dolling on tackles and the RBs falling over the Olines feet, which other than Mark Sanchez and the Butt fumble - never happens in real life. But overall I am enjoying the games win or lose as they at least feel mostly competitive on All Pro.

# 13 Gorilla Glass @ 08/27/14 09:31 AM
I think this is the Best version of Madden NFL, the team has put out.

The graphics are beautiful and immersive.The gameplay on both sides of the ball is challenging, but rewarding.

It may not be perfect, but it sure is fun.

# 14 NDAlum @ 08/27/14 09:40 AM
I'm still in the honeymoon phase but my initial impressions are nothing but positives. I think we're going to see many frustrated members here because the players finally have weight to them. You can't cut on a dime and just run around like a crazy person and expect to do well. That's the biggest positive I've seen so far.

# 15 Jarbeez @ 08/27/14 09:43 AM
Gameplay feels smooth and fast. Which is good. I'm getting used to having camera controls on the d-pad and having to make adjustments to some of the control changes, but that is ok. I'm sure I will get used to it.

I'm not sure I love the new playcalling menus, but again, I'm sure I will get used to it.

Commentary is my only issue so far, and it isn't any worse than years past, but 3 that stood out to me in my first game:
1. Final 2 minutes of a game. I'm leading 7-0. I get a defensive stop. The commentary is, well the defense did the job and got the ball back, now it's time to see if the offense can get the lead. That is not word for word, but the basic statement. So way off...
2. On a kickoff return, they commented that my runner was stopped just short of the 1st down marker. Thankfully, they still gave me a first down.
3. The third one was similar to #1. I was in the lead. The other team got the ball, and the commentary was, now the offense just have to run down the clock to get the win.

Commentary is a detail, not a make or break one, but it does make me wonder if there are any game scenarios that were programmed backwards that we will find later. Like if that team would have actually just run the clock out when they needed points or something. So far, I have not seen anything like that.

I will say, I do love the tempo options...normal, chew clock, and no-huddle. Particularly the chew clock feature that allows the accelerated clock to continue for the offensive team that is trying to run down some clock. Keeps everyone from having to sit there for 30-40 seconds.

Also, noticed on the QB play. Which I'm using a bad QB, so it should be this way. Deep passes for me have been non-existent with this QB. The only big plays I've been able to get are getting a fast guy in open space. I've thrown 3 or 4 int's by trying to force a deep ball. Now, I have yet to play with a decent QB, so I can't say how that goes just yet.

# 16 Mauer4MVP @ 08/27/14 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
I think this is the Best version of Madden NFL, the team has put out.

The graphics are beautiful and immersive.The gameplay on both sides of the ball is challenging, but rewarding.

It may not be perfect, but it sure is fun.
I would agree if it weren't for the sim stats. If they can fix that, then I completely agree. The game is so fun. I just don't want to be playing exhibition games or head-to-head games all the time.

# 17 knucklesdaclown @ 08/27/14 10:08 AM
I don't like it all so far.
The "improvements" they made appear to be nothing most sim players have any need or desire for.

Improvement are mostly making something easy (playcalling) a pain in the butt for no reason. When thinking about improvements was there a huge outcry to make play calling different?

Jump the snap is nothing but a lobby exploit and terribly annoying an unrealistic. Guys already getting sacks in under a second with legends like Ryan Kerrigan.

The commentary has been useless for many years, zero improvemnet there. Instead of having Nance and Simms spout the same awkard (many times nonsensical to the situation) crap they have been saying for three maddens, why not hire two nobodies who have all the time in the world to provide some actual insight or a volume of non repetitive dialouge. (dig up those fake 2k5 announcers, they were amazing)

One inexcusable flaw that has persisted for years (just one example) is not being able to do something simple as choosing your KO team. How can this still not be an option? With less xp available, it should let you pick some young guys or back ups on defense to play special teams at your whim, if you choose to use starters they would tire out or get hurt more. But let it be an option, nothing I hate more than seeing a valuble player wasting his time as a KO gunner.

Also commish mode in OLF is still lacking. Ever try getting 32 people across the country for a draft? Impossible. So why not let the commish have the option to draft players for people who cant make it, or do depth chart fixes, or help in resigning players if people cant get to their team.

Once again our league will have to go third party with a daddy league site due to EA being so lacking.

Looks like since jump the snap is some new horrible idea, it will be front and center the most important thing to master or something sim leagues will have to cut out entirley as user skill will trump the player ratings on this one.

All in all, it would be nice to see a review that doesnt bow down to the god of EA in fear of not getting an advance copy and tells it like it is. Or maybe start out with the stuff they never fix before stroking EA's ego in the begining paragraph out of fear.

# 18 Demoncrom @ 08/27/14 11:04 AM
Knucks have to agree on that. Companies do go too easy on EA. This review is fair - its a Good game but not a great game and wont be until they fix the obvious issues

# 19 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/27/14 11:24 AM
Good write up guys. M15 is the best since M05. Ironically that's the last year they focused on the defense.

# 20 Cold War Vet @ 08/27/14 11:31 AM
Has anyone figured out how to unlock legend players and share them un a roster? They did this for Xbox 360 last year but not for Xbox One.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.