Home
Feature Article
How to Rebuild Five of the NFL's Worst Franchises in Madden 15

Picking up a rebuilding project in any kind of sports video game is a daunting task. You have to be resigned to the fact that you're going to lose more than you win and that reaching the playoffs is more of a pipe-dream than a reality. But the reward is unlike anything else, in Madden. Slowly building your team back to prominence takes a skill unlike any other. You have to be persistent, smart, and methodical.

The real question is, where do you even begin? Here are five of the biggest rebuilding projects in Madden, and what you can do to fix them:

1. Oakland Raiders

Let's be honest: few NFL fans have suffered in the same way that Oakland Raider fans have in the last few years. Seemingly unwilling to commit to a ground-up rebuild, the Raiders continue to throw small band-aids over gaping wounds. Maurice Jones-Drew? What's the point. Matt Shaub? Same thing. The Raiders need a youth-movement in the worst way, and that's what we are going to give them.

• Move on from McFadden. The truth is, he's never going to become the dominant RB that he could have been. He still has enough upside that someone with a strong O-Line and no running back may be willing to take a shot on him.
  • Give Carr the rock! There's a significant chance Carr is never better than his brother, but that shouldn't stop the Raiders from giving him a couple of years to mature and progress as a QB.
  • Draft a stacked defense. The Raiders don't have a good defense, and it's only going to get worse. They are older around the board, and need to begin taking some high risk/high reward guys in the draft.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars have been one of the NFL's worst franchise over the course of the last decade. It's hard to believe, but they are headed in the right direction. They had their first great draft in a few years, they seem to have a franchise QB, and may have found a gem or two in their WR corps. Their defensive line is deep and tenacious, with the upside of being young. Still, there is a lot you can do here to speed up the process.

• Play Bortles. Henne is washed up and doesn't have a future anywhere else but on the bench. Most of the WR's that are playing are also young, so why not let Bortles mature with them?
  • Draft an offensive line. The Jaguars have the worst line in football, and it's not really close. The first thing that needs to be done is to get Bortles some protection.
  • Draft a shut down corner. The Jaguars have the defensive line to force a lot of pressure, but not the secondary to make offenses pay for it.

3. Minnesota Vikings

Things only get worse for the Vikings without Adrian Peterson. The good news is that I think the Vikings are probably a lot closer to being a contender, even without Peterson, than most people think. They have a good bit of work to do defensively, and it might be better for them to start getting younger as soon as 2015. They have two potential superstars on offense in Bridgewater and Patterson. If Peterson doesn't make your roster, or is cut all-together, where can you look for a running back?

• Because I don't think it's worth trading a pick for, I'd wait to draft the next big thing at running back. If Peterson is there, then your offense is just about set up going into the future.
  • Set up the Bridgewater-Patterson connection. Look, this is going to be a common thread amongst these rebuilding projects. Play the young guys, and let things unfold how they may.
  • Draft a pass rusher. Do whatever it takes to get the next Clowney, because the first step toward rebuilding a defense is to draft a monster pass-rusher. Pairing them up with Floyd would be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

4. St. Louis Rams

It may be time to move on from Sam Bradford. Then again, it might not be. Even though he's out for the season, this may be a good time to find your next weapon offensively. Big-play potential guys like Tavon Austin and Tre Mason should be seeing chunks of play-time, even if it is with Keenum or Hill at the helm.

• Build for '15. The Rams have a surprisingly nasty defense, so why not see if you can take the year to build an offense to match it?
  • Use all of your time and energy to make sure Greg Robinson becomes a superstar at LT. Put every ounce of XP and such that you can into him, because LT is the most underrated position in the game and Robinson has a massive ceiling.
  • Let your young defensive backfield show their talent. Guys like Jenkins, Roberson, Joyner, and Gaines have the potential to be one of the most deadly defensive backfields in the game.

5. Houston Texans

The Texans are really close to having it all, defensively. Joseph, Clowney, and Watt are a ton to handle in terms of defensive superstars. The problem is always going to be the offense. They need to find a QB, and they need to find one quickly. Until then, the plan should be simple: give the rock to Arian Foster and Alfred Blue.

• Draft a QB. Perhaps the most obvious statement so far, the Texans are in desperate need of a young QB who can manage a game. Unless you think Savage is the answer, use a first-rounder on a QB.
  • Trade Foster. It sounds silly, but there are a ton of teams in need of a playmaker at RB. The Texans aren't going anywhere this year unless they can grow another ten JJ Watt's, so try and get another early rounder to prepare for next year.
  • Do everything you can to ensure that Clowney isn't a bust.

Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 sbuxer @ 09/22/14 11:49 AM
This would all be fabulous except for that whole, you know, crippling bug where rebuilding small market teams have no money, and can't resign their own players or sign new free agents.

# 2 snc237 @ 09/22/14 01:30 PM
Need patch soon madden! Wanting to start up offline franchise mode with friend.

# 3 The Yurpman @ 09/22/14 01:52 PM
It's sort of hard to rebuild any of these teams when playing as an owner is completely unplayable right now.

You can play as a coach but that's not sufficient for people who like to really sign players, watch them develop, draft players vs. signing vets, make decisions on players, etc.

# 4 ncaafootball14markus @ 09/22/14 03:05 PM
raiders yes all day....defense is friggin trash.

# 5 Sanon @ 09/22/14 03:39 PM
Giants are a mess too. Failes twice rebuilding them and got sackes after 3 and 4 seasons. ( coach nor owner).
Manning is bad and drops to an ovr rating around 70.O-line non existent, d-line not much better. LB is old, even Beaston is not that good. Safeties should be long retired.HB's are awful. Only plus side is WR and CB.

I play as a coach because it makes it more difficult to rebuild. " The dreaded "You're fired" phone call from the owner is never far away. As an owner you have more freedom, you can trade Manning for a 5th round pick, nobody is gonna fire you for going 1-15. As a coach ... you need Manning for that 1st year, to get you to 8-8 or 9-7 and a contract extension, downside is you will not pick in the top 15. And those are the players you need badly for the rebuild. A QB, coz there is nothing on the FA market besides Locker or Cousins.

Try it out, I know I will. Again.

# 6 Mauer4MVP @ 09/22/14 05:23 PM
Teams that are a worse than the Vikings and aren't listed:

Browns, Titans, Bills, Giants, and Bucs.

Unless you literally went by Team Rating. Not sure

# 7 oneamongthefence @ 09/22/14 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Teams that are a worse than the Vikings and aren't listed:

Browns, Titans, Bills, Giants, and Bucs.

Unless you literally went by Team Rating. Not sure
The browns have a good defense, a potential franchise player with Johnny, a good receiving core with Gordon and Cameron and their oline is nasty. Hardly one of the worst teams.

Titans are a mess.

Bills have a solid defense, Manual is looking better game by game. Cj Spiller is a Madden beast not to mention their better than average receivers.

Giants are intriguing. They look better on paper than they do in real life which equals better Madden ratings.

The Bucs have a lot of upside players. Glennon and Martin on offense and on defense they have some good young players.

I wouldn't have put the Vikes on the list myself either. I would have went titans since they have a lack of playmakers all around.

# 8 Amoo316 @ 09/22/14 07:02 PM
I feel the Rams are an easy rebuild and it's the one I'm personally working on at the moment. Fisher has done an amazing job at bringing in talented youngsters to that team. Trade Bradford and a few other vets for whichever Rookie QB you want to be your cornerstone (Carr for me). Grab a few FAs after you've traded for some youth and go into season 1 ready to start the development process.

# 9 seanwilson160 @ 09/22/14 09:47 PM
How to Rebuild The Worst NFL Franchise, Madden 15

# 10 Darkleaf @ 09/22/14 09:53 PM
After the first season with the raiders, -3.7 million. After the draft -10 million. First 3 games on the road, -19 million....fun stuff this cfm...couldnt resign anyone playing with 42 or 43 guys.

# 11 OhWowAUnicow @ 09/22/14 10:30 PM
i have been having alot of fun with the raiders franchise. i just finished year 1 and ended up with the first pick and pick a MLB who is a beast. 81 overall to start but the man makes plays and during the draft adam shefler said that he was the heisman winner. still a bad team right now but him and Mack right now are fun linebackers

# 12 OhWowAUnicow @ 09/22/14 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWowAUnicow
i have been having alot of fun with the raiders franchise. i just finished year 1 and ended up with the first pick and pick a MLB who is a beast. 81 overall to start but the man makes plays and during the draft adam shefler said that he was the heisman winner. still a bad team right now but him and Mack right now are fun linebackers
also for those that are going negative in budget i have found when you jack the ticket prices all the way you will make a profit. the fans wont be happy but they will still come to the games

# 13 TattooedEvil @ 09/23/14 02:02 AM
Ya, I feel the Titans HAVE to be on this list. Sankey isn't a lock to work at RB, Mettnberger might be the future there at QB but thats if you commit to him and their best offensive weapon has to be Delanie Walker. And then the defense.....ummmm......

# 14 Rewmac @ 09/23/14 04:22 AM
I do agree on some, but I don't think Bridgewater is the key. I think team play is the key for the Vikings. Trusting young guys, giving them a chance is the way. Signing some veterans to mix with rookies.

Rams: They have it all. They need an o-line that can support the run and a QB who can pass and stay healthy. Bradford ain't gonna work at all, he is better than a backup but he isn't a franchise QB either. So I think drop him he costs too much. I mean look at the Redskins. Kirk Cousins is doing very well against teams that have no defense, but still doing very well.

Oakland needs to relocate and just move on. Trade their players, stop buying random old players to fill up talent holes.

# 15 spfhelmiii @ 09/23/14 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman
It's sort of hard to rebuild any of these teams when playing as an owner is completely unplayable right now.

You can play as a coach but that's not sufficient for people who like to really sign players, watch them develop, draft players vs. signing vets, make decisions on players, etc.
Is this the case? I thought you can do all this as a coach.

# 16 Iceman87GT @ 09/23/14 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuxer
This would all be fabulous except for that whole, you know, crippling bug where rebuilding small market teams have no money, and can't resign their own players or sign new free agents.
Question for sure this issue manifest itself? Because I did an online CFM as the jags with my friend (the falcons) and ended the season with 24M available funds and very few players that needed to be re-signed (not to mention available funds only affects how much you can give in bonuses when re-signing not stuffing new players).

Now my situation is not typical because I was able to win the super bowl (no sliders and all-pro difficulty, I'm aware that that makes rebuilding much easier), but I also moved to Portland (which cost me money throughout my last season in Jax).

We started or CFM before the online update but I don't remember having issues gaining funds even before the update we've live (also the stat issues said updates were supposed to fix still appeared in year 1), maybe I would have earned even more money with those updates?

# 17 sportyguyfl31 @ 09/23/14 01:15 PM
is offline franchise playable as a coach? or still a bug riddled mess?

# 18 sbuxer @ 09/23/14 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
Question for sure this issue manifest itself? Because I did an online CFM as the jags with my friend (the falcons) and ended the season with 24M available funds and very few players that needed to be re-signed (not to mention available funds only affects how much you can give in bonuses when re-signing not stuffing new players).

Now my situation is not typical because I was able to win the super bowl (no sliders and all-pro difficulty, I'm aware that that makes rebuilding much easier), but I also moved to Portland (which cost me money throughout my last season in Jax).

We started or CFM before the online update but I don't remember having issues gaining funds even before the update we've live (also the stat issues said updates were supposed to fix still appeared in year 1), maybe I would have earned even more money with those updates?
It's the age old adage: Winning cures all.

If you're winning, your stadium is full and you can charge higher ticket prices so you have a lot of money rolling in.

If you take over a bad team and lose, the opposite of this is true. That's when you have no money to do anything.

# 19 dmankey1 @ 09/23/14 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkleaf
After the first season with the raiders, -3.7 million. After the draft -10 million. First 3 games on the road, -19 million....fun stuff this cfm...couldnt resign anyone playing with 42 or 43 guys.
I'm in year 2 with the Raiders and I moved to San Antonio. Currently I'm 6-3 with +22 mil in funds. (+) 5-6 mil per home game and (-) 2-3 mil per road game is what I'm averaging right now. The issue is winning. If you don't win then you won't make money. Moving the team helped greatly. It's hard and I could very easily be 3-6 but I've had some luck fall my way. What I did when I took over....I got rid of McFadden and MJD, picked up Andre Ellington early year 1 (87 ovr now) , Picked up Knile Davis from FA in year 2, drafted O-line and secondary early, RB and WR later, starting Carr, moved Tuck to the inside (killing it with speed straight the QB), put Mack at LE. I play mostly Man/Man blitz defense. Run the ball like crazy and use PA pass when needed. I average 250 rush yards across 3 RB's and 200 pass. Offense is 85 and Def 86. Playing with Amour and Swords sliders.

# 20 dkp23 @ 09/23/14 04:54 PM
bad advice for raiders, do not move on from mcfadden. It is a video game, you can increase his injury rating. Also, at the end of the season you can sign him for cheap on a long term deal, he is only like 26 or 27. That is an high 70s rated RB with 95 speed.

This isn't the real NFL, it is a video game and in madden speed kills.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.