Home
Feature Article
FIFA 15 First Impressions Roundtable

Now the morning after release, the rest of the staff gets a chance to weigh in. Here's what we think of FIFA 15...

Robert Kollars: After devoting 150 plus hours on FIFA '14, I finally retired the title just 3 weeks ago. Having played FIFA '14 so much, I was a bit skeptical that the development team could put forth something in FIFA '15 that would feel fresh and new, but my doubts have been erased for the most part.

The action on the pitch feels more authentic, and the way the CPU(both opponents and teammates) handle the ball, make decisions, put forth defensive effort, all feels more realistic than in FIFA '14. More than any EA futbol title to date, FIFA '15 gives off the vibe that there are 22 humans on the field, and not a bunch of inept digital counterparts, whose sole goal is to frustrate the user.

One of the biggest improvements that caught my eye almost instantly was the amount of penalties I witnessed being called, both against and for me. This was one of the biggest problems plaguing this franchise, and at least early on it seems to be much better. I also must mention the spacing across the pitch. Gone are the days of players bunching up in the midfield(and other places)as players, both teammates and AI defenders, seem to understand their role during the match. I can now navigate my way on attack more methodically using all of the pitch consistently, and not just the sides.

Graphically, the game is an improvement over ’15, but not the leap that maybe some were hoping for. With that being said, the weather effects look great, and the field degradation looks even better. The stadiums look as good as ever, and the atmosphere is the best there is, in my opinion at least.

Overall I have to give credit where credit is due. I am sure I will find some annoyances as I spend more time with FIFA ’15, but for now I am extremely pleased with the overall package that EA has delivered this year.

Kevin Groves: Like Robert Kollars, I too have devoted some serious time (5+ seasons Career Mode/1 season Be a Pro/Online Seasons/ etc…) into FIFA ’14 on the Xbox One. This curtailed my expectations as I didn’t expect a huge leap from FIFA ’14 to ’15. Fortunately, I was wrong.

Player responsiveness is smooth and when combined with even more animations the result is a game with seamless transitions that enables the user to have a sense of control never achieved before in the FIFA series. Manual control users will benefit from this increased responsiveness as the ability to play a short passing game, ala FC Barcelona’s “Tiki Taka”, is finally there.

While Team Styles and Player ID could be represented more accurately out-of-the-box, the ability to update club tactics to play like their real-life counterparts has been improved through the new “Unrivaled Intelligence” feature. The diligent folks over in the “Official Custom Team Tactics (AI) Thread” will surely be hard at work providing the community with the most up-to-date tactics for clubs across the globe.

FOULS! FOULS! FOULS! For years FIFA players have complained (justifiably so) about the lack of fouls committed by the AI and the subsequent card determinations from these fouls. In my first match as AC Milan hosting Juventus in the San Siro, I saw the referee brandish two yellow cards within the first 25 minutes for yellow-card worthy infringements. With the increase in stoppages, users can now substitute and change tactics without having to navigate to the menu during open-play.

Lastly, the overall presentation package is the best I’ve seen since NFL 2K5/College Hoops 2K8. Not only is the Barclays Premier League spot-on when it comes to replicating what we see on the television, the replays while the game is on pause and after “replay-worthy” events (fouls, goals, etc…) adds another dimension to the experience. For years I have been annoyed at having to go to the Instant Replay from the pause menu to see a replay of a foul inside the box resulting in a penalty. So far in FIFA ’15 this looks to be rectified as the game will quickly cut to the foul before taking you back to the spot-kick.

For the second year in a row EA has stepped up to the spot and placed their penalty kick with German-like precision. FIFA ’15 offers as complete a package as you will find in the sports video game genre.

James Kerti: The game mechanics feel like they've taken a stronger step forward than I expected. As Kevin mentioned, the game feels exceptionally responsive, and yet it strikes a great balance between responsiveness and realistic physics. It allows you to move the ball throughout the pitch like how real clubs do. Also, fouls. Yes, fouls!

The presentation package is outstanding, especially with the Barclays Premier League. During a stoppage in play in the middle of the first half, the commentators looked back at the goal I scored in the opening minutes, offering a little insight into how it came to be.

I still feel skeptical of the way the AI opponents play their offensive attack. It seems like the thought process so far is mostly, "I'm going to try to dribble by you, and if that fails, I'll try to pass it forward to a teammate." I'm not seeing the build-up play I'd like to see in the midfield. Maybe I need more playtime for it to emerge, or a higher difficulty (I started on Professional), or sliders.

The goalkeeper AI seems great so far, including picking the right opportunities to dart forward to gobble up a through ball or cross.

Overall, I feel encouraged on release day.

FIFA 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DBMcGee3 @ 09/24/14 11:11 AM
I loved FIFA 14, on next gen at least, and this game is an improvement on that in virtually every way. Fluid gameplay, crisp controls (far more responsive than PES in my opinion), incredible presentation and graphics, and stadium atmospheres that are nothing short of astonishing. Any sports game can be nitpicked when comparing them directly to their real life counterparts, but to me this is close enough. The licensing is a big deal as well, even more so this year with there being real question marks regarding option files for PES. I am loving the emphasis they put on the BPL.

p.s. the keepers are awesome, much better than in any other soccer game, ever.

# 2 DaSmerg @ 09/24/14 01:16 PM
I'll just keep saying what I've been saying...remember when 2010 was the year to pick up NBA 2K? This is the year you pick up FIFA 15, the game really is that good.

Barring what 2K has up their sleave for their NBA release coming up, EA's FIFA team is the first to deliver a true next gen title and really has raised the bar for the entire EA Sports team...yeah, I'm looking at you Tiburon.

While still not perfect...man what is it with EA Sports companies and this wierd running style anyways LoL...but it's such a big step in the right direction in not only fun factor, but representing the sport via video game.

P.S. they ain't foolin when talking about the penalties now...and my biggest FIFA pet peeve, the clock doesn't stop anymore!

# 3 Osbourne @ 09/25/14 05:06 AM
This is the best you can do at the moment EA? Really?

NG engine in it's final stages (Fifa 10, WC 2010 ps3/xbox360) had 10 times better animations (less ofc, but all natural) and ball control physics. You can all check that if u just watch a video of WC 2010 gameplay. After that, it was all some impact engine hybrids including this ignite engine which still has that bad elements of impact. Ball physics is awesome if u look the shooting this year, i can only clap clap for what they have done this year on next gen consoles. But, animations and ball control physics? They can and they did better. That's the reason why i'm frustrated with them the last 5 years. It still doesn't feel like real football because there are so many things you will never see in real life football game. Sometimes i actually question do guys who create animations in Tiburon watch football/soccer... The passing and running animations, ball control, it doesn't represent the game of football/soccer. I was always a gameplay guy, so shiny graphics, faces and stadiums and presentation are not something i would buy. Give me the game of football. Last 5 years you are not delivering it EA... But you are selling it and, I know, it's all about benjamins...

# 4 cadalyst17 @ 09/25/14 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollars
but for now I am extremely pleased with the overall package that EA has delivered this year.
THIS! That's what I love about next gen games. The overall package. Game play of course is very important, but I can get great game play on any old system what I can't get is the "overall package" I want to see something that I have never seen before justifying my hard earned money on new technology, and FIFA delivers in that department

# 5 KG @ 09/25/14 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadalyst17
THIS! That's what I love about next gen games. The overall package. Game play of course is very important, but I can get great game play on any old system what I can't get is the "overall package" I want to see something that I have never seen before justifying my hard earned money on new technology, and FIFA delivers in that department
Exactly! As a fan of PES I can say with 100% confidence that even if the gameplay is the best it's ever been it's the complete package that will win over FIFA fans. Even though Manager Mode didn't have any major additions it's still light-years ahead of what was offered in PES 2014. We're still a little in the dark when it comes to what PES 2015 has to offer in this department but the gameplay (with sliders) + presentation + mode variety in FIFA 2015 is what we should expect from all XB1/PS4 sports titles.

# 6 Lilgoosy @ 09/26/14 05:50 AM
fifa is the best soccer game on 9 aspects to 10 .. but the tenth aspect is gameplay ... you can have all the stadiums you want, you can have every team from every damn corner of the world, but as soon as you drop the ball on the pitch, and start running with it, PES is this year's winner.

i'v been a "fifa day1 buyer" since 2007, on the old gen (xbox360) this was never a fight. Pes always had his "afecionados" but fifa was way better.

with fifa 15 they put "the lipstick" on fifa14 and if you are not a fanboy you can easily see that.

player models are awful, they look anorexic (with all due respect) and i wonder if guys in Canada have ever saw a soccer game.

in Fifa you are hitting like 1,2 goal post a game, how many of those do you see in actual soccer games?

PES is a soccer simulation, the only difference this year is that PES made a step forward interesting enough for me to say that the king of soccer simulation is back and i have no reason to stick with the same fifa every year.

just so you know, i have both titles cause i play that awful "club mode" with friends online just to keep in touch with them but tbh club is maybe the worst mode in online gaming.

fifa got me hoping the game could end early, that's not funny.

FIFA IS funny if your desire is to put up tons of goals with rop teams, in that case you are good to go

# 7 cadalyst17 @ 09/26/14 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilgoosy
with fifa 15 they put "the lipstick" on fifa14 and if you are not a fanboy you can easily see that.
Why do you have to go there? I am a fanboy, but not of FIFA. I am a fanboy of a true next gen experience. If I just wanted gameplay then I can use any old system and remain with the classics. Whoever is willing to deliver a next gen experience, I will buy from, because IMO $60.00 plus dollars is not worth JUST gameplay. By the way I did not buy FIFA 14, because I didn't think EA delivered that next gen experience.

# 8 Lilgoosy @ 09/26/14 08:14 AM
i respect every kind of experience everyone wants to have and it is up to you.
even PES imo is not delivering something complete yet, but again, is up to you deciding what you want to see in a soccer game.
i am italian, born an raised watching soccer since 28 years, and i can tell you that what FIFA brings to the table is something far from real soccer while in my opinion PES is quite near the kind of simulation i like.

sometimes i just think FIFA is too "arcade" for me ... not sayin it is a bad game at all.

# 9 cadalyst17 @ 09/26/14 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilgoosy
sometimes i just think FIFA is too "arcade" for me ... not sayin it is a bad game at all.
I understand, but both games are arcade. Most people ask but in reality many would not like a true simulation of the sport.

# 10 Osbourne @ 09/26/14 06:41 PM
ISS/Winning Eleven 2002 ps1, Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution ps2, Fifa 10 / WC 2010 ps3/xbox360. THe games that were real revolution considering football simulatons. Everything else is pretty much not worth mentioning at all (PES 6 and Fifa 12 are ridiculously overrated).

Since EA left behind fantastic NG engine which had amazing animations and great ball control physics with real 360 movement and invented "impact" engine which they now are trying to convert to "ignite", FIFA lost it's connection with real football. Imact/ignite engine fails to bring that natural feel like it is actually a game of football although they are really trying,,, This year the ball physics for shooting is amazing, but when u look at ball control and passing, the old impact engine problems are still there... Passing and runing animations are just not natural and it is a game killer for every real football fan.

Konami on the other side, since ps1 and ps2 games mentioned at the begining of my post, didn't do anything good. PES 6 and everything else Konami did after that was simply ********, i cannot describe how awful physycis and animations were, that basic feel of football was simply not existing in their games. Fox enigne last year changed that, but PES 14 was not finished, it was full of bugs and ******** AI, the game was unplayable. PES 15 is finished and playable PES 14, but there is only slight improvement of animations and shooting ball physics, and I expected they will finally make a hard effort about their game and complete one. I guess that may happen in 5 years, maybe... But Fox engine has the potential, noone can doubt that.

So in year 2014-2015, we still can't get a football game which has real life animations and physics? WTF?

Football/soccer is not like american football (which I am a big big fan) or hockey, you cannot have the same aproach to this simulation because there is much more finesse things you have to worry about and deliver it the right way... This is what I'm talking about, this is real football: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8

# 11 wkhalil @ 09/27/14 01:45 PM
I wish people would leave behind the notion that pes is about simulation and FIFA is arcade, I read this repeatedly over and over and some people start to believe it. I think it all depends on how you play the game. I am not a big fan of either games and in fact I alternate between the two. In some cases I see the opposite is true. This year's fifa is a great improvement imo and it does capture the essence of the game in many ways.

# 12 cadalyst17 @ 09/27/14 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkhalil
I wish people would leave behind the notion that pes is about simulation and FIFA is arcade.......
I agree! There is that old adage. Tell a lie long enough and people start to believe it. The only thing that came close to any true sports sim I have ever played was MLB the show. I loved NFL 2K and many people called Madden arcade, but to be honest NFL 2K was not a true sim of the sport of football either. I think it is just popular calling ANY EA sports game arcade. It's pretty silly punishing a video game for not being a sim :-)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.