Home
Feature Article
FIFA 15's Tactics Are a Disappointing Mystery

How well does FIFA 15 represent real players and clubs?

I wanted to try to answer this question. After all, I’m a realism nerd in my sports games. I always have been. “Do AI clubs and players in FIFA 15 play like reasonable approximations of their real-life selves?”

Let's find out.

FIFA 15 represents individual player skill well.

FIFA 15’s mechanics — physics, responsiveness, controls — provide a sensational foundation for the game. They allow exceptional players such as Lionel Messi and Arjen Robben to stand out with their ability to control the ball and navigate the pitch. Central midfielders like Mesut Ozil and Mario Goetze similarly make an impact with how they operate in the middle of the pitch, able to control the short passing game that dominates FIFA 15 (more on that aspect shortly).

This improvement carries over to the defensive side as well, thanks also in part to improved defensive AI. In previous editions of FIFA, only speed and height seemed to separate one defender from another. For the first time I can remember in playing the FIFA series, the presence of a excellent center back—or even a fullback, to a lesser extent—regularly changes the course of a game with their ability to limit good shooting opportunities. Because marking in FIFA 15 took a leap forward, Vincent Kompany and Giorgio Chiellini can disrupt opposing forwards without getting pulled out of position.

Ideally, the game would represent the tendencies of star players as well as their skills. I hope the series moves more in that direction over the next few years. It isn’t there yet. FIFA 15 succeeds at answering the question, “Lionel Messi is great in real life. Is he great in the game?” It doesn’t hold up as well when it comes to addressing how exactly Messi’s greatness affects the match. But while that part hasn’t gotten there yet, player skill definitely comes through more than in years past due to the improved mechanics and AI.

What do you think? Do you agree? Let me know in the comments. I want to come back to this topic later on. In the meantime …

Team tactics in FIFA 15 fall short.

I’ve always felt underwhelmed with the tactical variety in the FIFA series. As a sports strategy and analytics junkie, I obsess over how a team’s strategy separates them from their opponents. FIFA never gives me much to sink my teeth into. For years, every AI match felt mostly the same regardless of my opponent. I hoped FIFA 15 with some of its announced improvements would change things for the better.

Implementing team sheets looked on the surface like a positive development for a series in which tactical variety has always been an issue. After all, team sheets give us additional options for customizing how each team plays. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to actually … work. At least not well.

In practice, tactical variety between clubs actually took a step back in FIFA 15, which I didn’t think was possible. The lack of build-up play is nothing new for the series, but the near-absence of AI teams playing wide and crossing is an alarming change. AI clubs rarely go for the long ball either. Without these essential elements of strategy as a core part of any club’s offensive attack, it’s hard for any clubs to distinguish themselves with unique play. For now, every club settles for dribbling apparently aimlessly around the middle of the pitch, looking for “ping pong” short passes in the goal of getting a clear shooting lane.

I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Since the game’s release a couple weeks ago, I closely followed discussions on our forums. I see I’m not alone here. OS user Krebstar maintained a popular FIFA custom tactics project the last few years on the forums. When asked if he will continue the tactics project this year, he outright said:

“As of now, I don't think I am. The reason is that I can not get them to ‘work.’ For example, no matter what I do, I can not get the AI to play actual "long ball" and hit it long and beat me over the top. I also can not get them to play painfully slow, and pass it around their back four. My guess at this point is even though I'm applying tactics and team sheets to teams, they're not being used by the AI when I play against them.”

He’s not the only one on the forums with that sentiment.

When the game’s tactics gurus can’t get things to work, the game has a massive problem. I understand multiplayer online play captures the attention of perhaps most FIFA players, but the single player crowd needs some attention here. Maybe more people would opt for offline play if the lack of tactical variety didn’t make the game boring and repetitive.

I often feel confused by the lack of attention these tactical issues get in previews, reviews, and features around the Internet. Would people look the other way if AI opponents in NBA 2K never attempted three-pointers, or if single player games of Madden didn’t feature any passes over 20 yards?

I’m an aspiring soccer tactics expert, not an actual one (yet), but I know we have a major problem here in the way FIFA represents the sport. Huge strategic aspects of the sport simply don’t exist in FIFA. Long balls, crosses, back-passes, wide play — they are not in the strategic arsenal of AI opponents. I have been looking for them for almost two weeks now, as have people on the forums who are more well-versed in soccer tactics than I am.

Maybe someone will figure out a way to manipulate sliders or tactics to add more variety. Perhaps there will be a patch. Otherwise, we wait another year. It would be a shame to wait, considering the game as it stands has so many redeeming components.

Do you share these frustrations? What do you want to see done differently? Sound off in the comments below.

FIFA 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Krebstar @ 10/06/14 11:18 AM
I was quoted! I feel special.

In all seriousness, this year's tactical implementation is definitely underwhelming, disappointing, and to an extent a failure.

On the surface, team sheets sounded fantastic—the ability to customize a specific formation and tactics for every single team in the game? Brilliant. However, the actual gameplay itself has gotten in the way of the tactics being implemented by the AI when facing them.

Also, I miss the previous formation editing which allowed you to set "positioning", and attack/defend work rates. The new "Instructions" system does not seem to be nearly as in depth.

All hope does not yet seem to be lost, though. Hutton has made a little discovery which could bring the AI long ball back, and Matt10's sliders are constantly trying to also bring the variety of play back into the game.

It still seems like a shot in the dark, though. FIFA 15 with FIFA 14's custom tactics would be a heck of a game. Sadly, at this point, I'm still having more fun with FIFA 14.

I do have a spreadsheet full of updated tactics ready to unveil in the near future, though. This includes not only updating tactics for teams that have changed managers, but also tweaking all tactics to preform a little better.

Okay, time to go back to work.

# 2 ty5oke @ 10/06/14 11:19 AM
Thanks for the read. I almost caved this weekend and bought Fifa but after reading this I'm glad I didn't. I'll wait for PES to come out so I can read the reviews on both games before making the purchase.

# 3 orion523 @ 10/06/14 11:50 AM
I hate to say it but the game is outright lousy tactically, so much so that I just don't see myself playing the game at all once PES releases. Every single game it's more of the same. I've tried everything slider wise to get some kind of variety, unfortunately though I just came up empty. In the end I settled on a slider set that highlights FIFA's strengths, one on one play, and those highlight reel quality moments. I was this series' biggest fan for a long time, but I'm a football fan first and foremost, and the football fan in me is appalled at what we were given this year gameplay wise.

# 4 ryestye @ 10/06/14 01:01 PM
EA Sports has never been able to implement this in any sport. They make a game that looks like the real game, but it never plays like the real game, at least not the individual players or teams. They suck at being able to replicate player tendencies and the player ratings seem to be mere window dressing used for the simulation aspect only.

# 5 Krebstar @ 10/06/14 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryestye
EA Sports has never been able to implement this in any sport. They make a game that looks like the real game, but it never plays like the real game, at least not the individual players or teams. They suck at being able to replicate player tendencies and the player ratings seem to be mere window dressing used for the simulation aspect only.
What's sad is that in past years, we the users at least had the ability to make the game play like the real game.

However, this year we're struggling to do so.

# 6 kwebbvols4423 @ 10/06/14 01:21 PM
I am looking forward to giving PES a shot in November.

# 7 Cubone_Jones @ 10/06/14 02:31 PM
Dang it guys, I am just trying to enjoy my dog garn football game and you guys have to discuss problems that might ruin it for me.

I hope you feel horrible about what you've done.

# 8 HenryClay1844 @ 10/06/14 02:59 PM
Defending and marking is just simply poor. Your CDM won't stay back if you tell him. There is no reaction to the ball or to an opposing player by the players you don't control. Players constantly jerk forward or backward at terrible times. Worst of all manual controls continue to be ignored, there is no real manual switch and headers and parries still rebound directly to the AI constantly. I really thing this game could be leaps and bounds better.

# 9 RandyBass @ 10/06/14 03:28 PM
Haven't played 15, but this is what ultimately killed 14 for me. It just felt like I was playing the same game over and over.

If FIFA ever gets this aspect of fútbol down they are going to have one heck of a game.

# 10 TheCloser @ 10/06/14 04:26 PM
Honestly, i cannot believe it took a lot of you this long to realize this. This isn't just a fifa problem, it's an EA sports problem. The teams just don't play like themselves. Their games are bereft of individuality. No individuality through animations, ai behavior, player accessories, etc. They all play the same and the AI plays the same. This is true in NHL, FIFA and NBA. I found it astonishing when i was playing fifa and i saw Messi do a rainbow. At that point, i just turned off the game. Its been a problem for the fifa series since it's inception and i haven't seen a willingness to address the issue. Every year, they focus on superficial issues while ignoring the core issues. Reviewers continue to give the game an undeserving score and they continue to deceive themselves thinking that they made a 'good' game.

# 11 Krebstar @ 10/06/14 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloser
Honestly, i cannot believe it took a lot of you this long to realize this. This isn't just a fifa problem, it's an EA sports problem. The teams just don't play like themselves. Their games are bereft of individuality. No individuality through animations, ai behavior, player accessories, etc. They all play the same and the AI plays the same. This is true in NHL, FIFA and NBA. I found it astonishing when i was playing fifa and i saw Messi do a rainbow. At that point, i just turned off the game. Its been a problem for the fifa series since it's inception and i haven't seen a willingness to address the issue. Every year, they focus on superficial issues while ignoring the core issues. Reviewers continue to give the game an undeserving score and they continue to deceive themselves thinking that they made a 'good' game.
In terms of FIFA, a lot of us know it's an issue, but this is the first time in the last four years that we haven't been able to easily fix it. Custom tactics have fixed the issue in past years.

It's not as if we all just now started to smell the roses and realize it's been an issue, while previously ignoring those telling us it was. This is the first year it's been an issue to this degree.

# 12 zarzelius @ 10/06/14 05:01 PM
Hi there guys. I loved the analysis. This is why i was waiting this year to see if i bought it or not. Im starting to think ill go with PES this year.
If you dont know me, i made a mod, which was used in FIFA 14 with Matt10 sliders. (you can still find the mod on his thread for FIFA 14 sliders) which brought back to the game long shots, physical play , better AI and other stuff.
I have no idea if the commands and files we used to tweak in order to mod the old engine, will work on the new one. That is why , i still not sure if i should spend the 40 bucks just to, then, fail at doing anything like i did with the previous game.
And now i see even more people complaining about how tactics arent taken in account by the AI, which gives me even more doubts that , even with modding, anything can be done.
I guess ill wait a bit more time, see if others can check if the modding system is the same, and then maybe, go try with this one.
If any of you would like to take my mod from Matt sliders thread, and try to "port" it to fifa15, please do!. Just knowing that it CAN be done, is a huge plus for all of us here at OS.
Cya, and again, great post.

# 13 Gosens6 @ 10/06/14 05:57 PM
I noticed your comment about Madden. Funny thing is, the cpu ai rarely passes the ball more than 10 yards down the field. Disappointing to hear this about fifa as I was planning on picking it up

# 14 xSubzer0x @ 10/06/14 06:39 PM
It's still a VERY fun game guys.

# 15 TheLetterZ @ 10/06/14 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubzer0x
I'm happy for you that you're enjoying the game but please don't pretend like everyone who doesn't have the same preferences you do is misguided or confused.

# 16 Krebstar @ 10/06/14 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubzer0x
It's clear that some people don't realize how subjective "fun" is. We all want different things from the game, and above that, there are certain groups of us who want certain things from the game.

For some of us, fun means realism, and realism means a variety of play and attacks from the AI opposition.

Without that, the game isn't very fun to me. It just isn't. But I understand that to some people, that will not factor into how fun they think they game is.

Just throwing that out there, as it seems many people don't understand why some of us who are caught up on this don't see the game as fun. It's not that it can't be fun for us—it's just that the elements to provide the fun for us are missing or are currently not working.

In short, some of us are really nerdy, and really picky.

# 17 gopher_guy @ 10/06/14 06:55 PM
I just get confused by the hardcore sim people who are upset by these games every year.

You have to know what you're getting with this game, right? I mean, has FIFA ever been a wonderful sim game? It's just not going to change in a year.

# 18 TheLetterZ @ 10/06/14 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I just get confused by the hardcore sim people who are upset by these games every year.

You have to know what you're getting with this game, right? I mean, has FIFA ever been a wonderful sim game? It's just not going to change in a year.
It's never been a wonderful sim game but it's been a passable sim game with a lot of other strong elements, thanks to the terrific work done by certain people, several of whom are in this thread.

FIFA 15 in its current state is not a passable sim game.

# 19 Hitwise @ 10/06/14 07:09 PM
How come editing team tactics is not working this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 20 zarzelius @ 10/06/14 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy

The thing is, with sliders and the modding community, we have been able to enjoy the game. I've played fifa 14 for over 3000 hours after finally using Matt sliders and my gameplay mod. It took us both a couple of months but after that, it was a great game and as close as FIFa can get to sim. Now, the same happened with 13, and even when i didnt play 12, i know this community always worked towards getting the game to be what each finds fun. Be it sim, or arcade or whatever, we have been able to tweak it to our liking. The problem with ignite engine apparently , is that is so unfinished that even the sliders and the ingame tactics dont stick.Dont work, so i dont know how far we , the guys who love to tweak it to match our style, can do this year. :S
Sad face, sad face, looks to PES on november..... :P

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.