Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K15 Initial Impressions (Roundtable)

NBA 2K15 is here! The OS Staff has gotten their hands on today's release and have some initial reactions on what they have played. This is just the launching point of our 2K15 release coverage, be sure to check out our NBA 2K15 forums for the latest on this year's big release. Here is our staff's initial impressions in an OS Roundtable.

James Kerti: Czar's work shows. Much less iso play and wasted time on offense. AI teams move the ball around and force your squad to play smart defense. It's refreshing and welcome. I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the improved offensive and defensive AI. It's wonderful watching teams run pinch-post to perfection and seeing the passing out of the pick-and-roll, for example. The weak-side corner 3 is a thing this year.

The pace of the commentary feels weird. Maybe they lowered the frequency of Kerr's commentary. It feels like there's more dead air and not as much flow as previous years. Furthermore, the jump from player introductions straight to the tip-off feels abrupt. I like the player introductions, but I miss the pre-game commentary from the broadcasters. (The true pre-game show with Ernie and Shaq is OK so far.)

The playcalling on the D-pad is uncomfortable. It feels awkward using my left hand to carefully move the analog stick to walk the ball up the floor while trying to manipulate the D-pad (and R1) to call the play I want.

Overall, I'm impressed. The game FEELS good due to a multitude of factors — the AI, the controls, the physics. I like what I'm seeing.

Robert Kollars: Due to what I believed a disappointing showing with NBA 2K14, I did not buy into the hype of NBA 2K15 one bit. I stayed away from videos for the most part, and really considered not even picking up this year’s version. After doing so though, I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with what I have witnessed on and off the court.

The optimum word here for me is authentic. The game feels organic and fresh, and mimics what one would see on an NBA broadcast in almost every way. The floor spacing is so much better, the animations make sense and flow with the game, and superstars act and play like their real life counterparts. Just as in real basketball typically, there is a nice ebb and flow with the game, and the atmosphere in late-game situations is over the top awesome!

The game isn’t perfect of course, as out of the box the shot percentages are probably too high still, the rebounding is a bit biased towards the CPU, and the CPU makes an occasional odd call or play, but the flaws mentioned above are smothered with what is done right in this game.

The good folks over at 2K have done a wonderful job with their representation of NBA on-court action with 2K15, and need to be applauded for it.

Ben Vollmer: Everything about defense feels tighter. The floor is spaced, the CPU offense is more efficient, and you're punished if you stop paying attention even for a second. Movement seems a little more fluid and polished, as I didn't notice a whole lot of sliding. As Robert mentioned, the animations are both great looking (as they have been in years past) and fit in the context of the game. Moreover, you don't seem to lose control of your player because of an animation, at least not in a way that's immediately noticeable.

Something I noticed was that there seems to be better parity in terms of what kind of shots are made. Open looks aren't always falling, guarded looks don't always clank off of the back rim. It's refreshing to see Wade or Parker get an open look from mid-range and still miss a handful of those shots.

Players feel unique to their real life counterparts, and that's really the next level of sports-gaming for me. One of the more frustrating things about sports gaming is that most players end up feeling the same but just looking different. NBA 2K15 is a significant step forward in that department, and there's something to be said for how big of a factor that is in terms of overall immersion.

Ultimately, I was a big fan of 2K14 and I'm already a fan of 2K15. The game already had a tremendous base, and now the series (and how I'd imagine 2K wants it to look) is really beginning to take shape.

Jayson Young: Improved player spacing and smarter AI are the biggest changes that I've noticed in my first couple of games. Even on "Pro" difficulty, the CPU-controlled teams are running flowing offenses without any awkward pauses or broken possessions. I've even seen ball-hungry players, like Dwyane Wade, taking isolation shots off the dribble, which is something that rarely happened in NBA 2K14.

On offense, it looks like the pick-and-roll is no longer an automatic bucket like it was last year, as the AI now defends screens properly, and will rotate over to stop the ball if you do manage to make it into the lane.

My main complaint right now is the passing, which still feels like you're tossing around a beach ball instead of a basketball. The passing animations need way more zip and a lot less hangtime. I still don't like how NBA 2K15 handles steals, either, as the ball can be bouncing inches away from your defender's hand, just begging to be stripped, but when you try to knock it loose, you'll get the same old silly lunging animation that's been in the game for years. Your limbs will just clip through the ball like an invisible ghost.

Sound off. What are your thoughts on NBA 2K15 so far?

NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Trackball @ 10/07/14 05:00 PM
Quote:
Something I noticed was that there seems to be better parody in terms of what kind of shots are made.
I'm going to assume Vollmer meant PARITY.

# 2 hawkfantn @ 10/07/14 05:08 PM
No, he meant AMAZEBALLS

# 3 thedream2k13 @ 10/07/14 05:27 PM
No one played online I see , play a quick match online and witness the horrible delay on defense

# 4 schnakenpopanz @ 10/07/14 06:24 PM
Offline one of the best games. Online an insult to what is common in sport games. No Playable Online Leagues. Not playable at all Online due to lag.

# 5 JayAtkHar @ 10/07/14 06:31 PM
Ima play a bunch of quick games 2 minute quarters work on my teams offence get this VC until the store opens up

# 6 KANtheMAN4 @ 10/07/14 06:57 PM
Online lag is terrible. Pure and simple.

Cleveland Indians

# 7 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 10/07/14 07:08 PM
"Players feel unique to their real life counterparts, and that's really the next level of sports-gaming for me. One of the more frustrating things about sports gaming is that most players end up feeling the same but just looking different.*NBA 2K15*is a significant step forward in that department, and there's something to be said for how big of a factor that is in terms of overall immersion."

This is the thing that separates 2K basketball from all other sports games in my opinion. It's why NBA 2K is largely considered the best sports gaming franchise. Their attention to detail & how they're able to get player mannerisms & signature animations down is a thing of beauty. All sports games should follow suit.

That said there's still tons of room for improvement (footplanting, some player models being too skinny, still some drawn out animations, etc..) but overall the game has a lot to offer & is only getting better.

# 8 rudeworld @ 10/07/14 09:16 PM
D.Rose plays like D.Rose.... Ugh i was afraid down at the end of my 1st game because he was taking over. Lucky for me I was up by 8 when he got going again. Free throes feel slightly more difficult now.

# 9 jyoung @ 10/07/14 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
Free throws feel slightly more difficult now.
Maybe it's just because I'm not used to my shooting animations yet, but I find that shot timing in general is much tougher this year. I'm only getting like 3 or 4 "excellent" releases per game, both at the line and from the field. I went into the practice gym for a bit, and I still couldn't hit the "excellent" release consistently. Did they make the timing window a lot smaller this year or is it just me?

# 10 BenGerman @ 10/07/14 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
I'm going to assume Vollmer meant PARITY.
Yep, definitely a typo! Sorry about that. Definitely did not mean parody haha.

# 11 Bornindamecca @ 10/08/14 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Maybe it's just because I'm not used to my shooting animations yet, but I find that shot timing in general is much tougher this year. I'm only getting like 3 or 4 "excellent" releases per game, both at the line and from the field. I went into the practice gym for a bit, and I still couldn't hit the "excellent" release consistently. Did they make the timing window a lot smaller this year or is it just me?
It's smaller because it's basically guaranteed. Keep in mind that all on-court interactions change/reduce the window. So being on the move, contested, turning around will be very different from being wide open on a catch and shoot with a good shooter.

I played with the Cavs on Superster/SIM and got absolutely silly numbers because of hitting open/perfect shots and that was the first game I played with them. Didn't know any releases.

# 12 BigDaddyHolmes @ 10/08/14 12:24 AM
I'd have no prob with a 9.5 rating. This game by far best basketball game EVER. Few slider adjustments, and clean up presentation a bit and easy 10 out of 10. Couldnt believe how smooth it was

# 13 Bobhead @ 10/08/14 01:30 AM
Has anyone tried out MyPlayer/MyCareer?

Is it better? Do point guards still get thrown into Center or other weird positions for entire games?

Are you still left out there to play 48 straight minutes?

It may sound silly but this is one of the key things my purchase decision hinges on.

# 14 jyoung @ 10/08/14 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Has anyone tried out MyPlayer/MyCareer?

Is it better? Do point guards still get thrown into Center or other weird positions for entire games?

Are you still left out there to play 48 straight minutes?

It may sound silly but this is one of the key things my purchase decision hinges on.
I got about 20 games into My Career before my face scan got lost in the server crash.

I'm playing a point guard on the Bucks, and the only other position I've been subbed-in at thus far is shooting guard.

My minutes have steadily risen in accord with my in-game performance. I started out getting only 5 or 6 minutes a game. Now I'm up to 20 minutes a game.

# 15 Bearsfan1 @ 10/08/14 02:00 AM
I like some of the new layups. Made a really cool DRose-like move where he contorted his body underneath the basket and almost finished the circus shot as he got fouled.

I only got to play two quick games, so I haven't gotten that deep into it. The movement this year feels so slow. I don't feel like there is any quickness to players at all.

I also think there really should be a "splitting the defense" off a PnR that all the good PG's do from time to time. It really takes away from the game IMO because PnR's are so important in the NBA game.

I've mentioned this a thousand times already, but the passing needs a major overhaul. Fastbreaks are a nightmare to pass through without either getting tipped,stolen, or throwing to a weird spot on the floor because it's very difficult to lead a guy in the right direction.

# 16 jyoung @ 10/08/14 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfan1
I also think there really should be a "splitting the defense" off a PnR that all the good PG's do from time to time. It really takes away from the game IMO because PnR's are so important in the NBA game.
I actually managed to split a trap with Tony Parker during the demo game against the Heat, but it wasn't with a special dribble move, it was just by pressing the left joystick and maybe turbo as well?

I haven't been able to reproduce that feat yet. I hope I can find a way to pull it off with more regularity.

I wish there was a dribble move where you could push the ball out in front of you into space and then go chase it. That is my favorite way of getting through a double team in real life.

I will try using the euro step and hop step tomorrow to see if those moves can get through a double team the way that Manu Ginóbili does it.

# 17 Bobhead @ 10/08/14 02:11 AM
Quote:
I got about 20 games into My Career before my face scan got lost in the server crash.

I'm playing a point guard on the Bucks, and the only other position I've been subbed-in at thus far is shooting guard.

My minutes have steadily risen in accord with my in-game performance. I started out getting only 5 or 6 minutes a game. Now I'm up to 20 minutes a game.
Thank you for the response! And just to make sure, this is offline MyCareer that you were playing, right? Against the CPU and such?

Because in another thread some guy said offline MyCareer was scrapped... but he didn't seem sure.

# 18 jyoung @ 10/08/14 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Thank you for the response! And just to make sure, this is offline MyCareer that you were playing, right? Against the CPU and such?

Because in another thread some guy said offline MyCareer was scrapped... but he didn't seem sure.
My Career can be played offline against the CPU, but it seems to reset your created player's name and appearance whenever the servers are down.

I also had issues today with purchasing attribute upgrades, because those require a server connection, too.

# 19 Bobhead @ 10/08/14 02:31 AM
Quote:
My Career can be played offline against the CPU, but it seems to reset your created player's name and appearance whenever the servers are down.

I also had issues today with purchasing attribute upgrades, because those require a server connection, too.
That's fine... If I understand you correctly, the latter part is how it worked in recent years also, where it syncs with the servers whenever you buy or use the VC points. I don't mind that, I just didn't want to be forced to play the games online against other people within the mode, or be required to stay online 24/7.

I wasn't at all considering buying this game. My top 3 complaints were the dysfunctional MyCareer mode stuff I mentioned earlier, the wonky and awkward physics of the interactions between players on the court, and the subpar AI.

It looks like all three of these issues got a lot of attention, which is surprising and impressive, and I have to say, I've gone from "definitely not buying" to "absolutely buying before the end of 2014."

# 20 xman2k @ 10/08/14 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
"Players feel unique to their real life counterparts, and that's really the next level of sports-gaming for me. One of the more frustrating things about sports gaming is that most players end up feeling the same but just looking different.*NBA 2K15*is a significant step forward in that department, and there's something to be said for how big of a factor that is in terms of overall immersion."

This is the thing that separates 2K basketball from all other sports games in my opinion. It's why NBA 2K is largely considered the best sports gaming franchise. Their attention to detail & how they're able to get player mannerisms & signature animations down is a thing of beauty. All sports games should follow suit.

That said there's still tons of room for improvement (footplanting, some player models being too skinny, still some drawn out animations, etc..) but overall the game has a lot to offer & is only getting better.
So true, I feel like sometimes people just don't get it, that's what makes nba 2k so unique to me. Everyone feels like you're actually that person, playing as MJ the first time in 2k11 was amazing

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.