Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K15 MyGM Diary: The Offseason

Editors note: In lieu of a traditional impressions piece on the offseason, I decided to record my own thoughts as I went through the process instead so give readers an idea of what its like to play the mode from first-hand experiences.

Western Conference finals. OKC vs. San Antonio. Being a video game, this surely meant my ticket to the NBA Finals as the Thunder was punched right?

Not so fast my friend.

After taking a 2-0 series lead, the Spurs came back to tie the series. In a gut-wrenching Game 5, my Thunder pulled it out at the end to take the 3-2 series lead. Surely, this meant an NBA Finals berth was coming. There’s no way I could mess it up? Wrong.

The Spurs came back in Game 6 and simply trounced me. Literally, it was like playing a basketball efficiency machine. The Spurs took me to the woodshed and tore my defense apart (like they did in 2013-14’s Western Conference Finals) and won by 15.

Game 7 arrived, and despite my best efforts the Bionic Basketball Machine from San Antonio simply went on a run in the second half that never ended.

I had just lost in seven to the Spurs. It was a bitter pill to say the least, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Entering the offseason, I knew we had some key holes to fill — but I also knew that I couldn’t go crazy on any multi-year deals with Durant’s contract coming up the next offseason and Westbrook/Ibaka the next.

My core had matured and gotten insanely good, just not good enough. I traded Reggie Jackson at the trade deadline for Nate Robinson and a 2017 1st Round Draft Pick to the Nuggets. So Robinson was leaving along with two other guys who never saw the court.

The offseason plan was to improve the team through a combination of the draft and free agency without breaking the bank. Life in the small market isn’t easy, all apologies to Sam Presti for my offseason rants this year.

In the lead-up to the draft, I saw a particular talent at point guard at the top of draft boards I couldn’t help but think could be a big deal — but I had the 29th pick and he was 2nd and 3rd on most draft boards. I scouted him anyways, because you never know. But mainly my focus was on finding a good defensive guard and a big man who could eat some minutes playing defense down low.

Draft day arrived and my point guard fell past the third pick. Then the fourth pick. Then the fifth. Then the sixth. This went on until the 15th pick. Then came the trade offer.

Serge Ibaka for the 15th pick this year and next year’s first round pick. Tempting, but that’d leave a hole in my frontcourt. Pass.

We moved onwards, with the point guard falling and falling. Then the 21st pick came and the Suns called. They wanted to trade two first round picks (my 29th, next year’s first round pick and 2017’s 2nd round pick) for their 21st pick. This wasn’t good either, but I sensed an opening.

I countered the offer by offering a Power Forward (Grant Jerrett) that I wouldn’t miss, plus my first round pick and second round pick this year — I didn’t need two picks anyways.

Phoenix accepted. I moved up, I picked my point guard. He’s got a good attitude and is durable. Maybe the game is broken, maybe it was rigged for me, I don’t know. I just know I now replaced Reggie Jackson with a guy who is starting off at 80 overall heading into next year.

Talk about feeling like Sam Presti for a bit.

I moved through the draft with no remaining picks. As I chilled out, along came the 21st pick in the second round and you know who came calling. The Suns were interested in dealing once again. This pick for the 2017 second round pick. This made too much sense, I had already picked up an extra draft pick in the first round in 2017 and I wouldn’t need three that year.

I had spent time scouting a center out of Kentucky who was a bit of a project, but at 7’2” I figured he could be the possible eventual replacement to Kendrick Perkins after his contract expired this upcoming season with Steven Adams already cemented as my starting center.

Free agency arrived and I signed Willie Green, the highest defensively rated Shooting Guard available on a one-year deal. It didn’t hurt his biggest priority was playing for a winner after all.

So in one offseason of roster moves I had managed to ensure my long-term depth at center, replace Reggie Jackson, and load up my 2017 class with two first round picks in case I couldn’t sign both Westbrook and Ibaka.

Not a bad offseason, now onto year two and my vengeful pursuit of an NBA Championship.

NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 extremeskins04 @ 10/22/14 12:57 PM
Love your posts Chris. Great stuff, keep em coming!

# 2 Jadakiss88 @ 10/22/14 01:04 PM
Reminded me so much of the feeling I got going deep into franchise modes in Madden and NBA2k think I will jump deep into my MYLeague this weekend. Great read would like to stay up to date if you continue to post these.

# 3 rudeworld @ 10/22/14 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDG
I find that the good rookies slip far too often in Myleague mode. The projected 1st overall almost never goes in top 3.
I'm like 5-6 years in and I've gotten a few gems to slip down to where I was drafting. One a superb PG and the other a great looking SF who will step in nicely after MELO retires or move on. but you are correct both PG (4th pick)and SF (7th pick)were rated in the 80's

# 4 Kentucky_Wildcat23 @ 10/22/14 01:36 PM
My only question about the mode is this. How do other teams do in free agency? I know in last years game I was able to load up on stars and I saw other teams do the same. I don't think Durant leaves OKC or that they don't offer him the max contract, but I saw it happen in multiple attempts at MyGM last year. Does this occur again in this years game? If so then I'll stick with MyLeague, and have some control over those types of decisions.

# 5 Leftos @ 10/22/14 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDG
I find that the good rookies slip far too often in Myleague mode. The projected 1st overall almost never goes in top 3.
Should be fixed with the patch that was released for PC and is incoming for PS4/X1.

# 6 canucksss @ 10/22/14 03:46 PM
GREAT WRITE UP!

I guess you're not playing all games? Mixing Simcast and actual game? Im doing all SIMCast just like any GM who watches the games up the balcony and let the coach and players do their thing. I am looking ahead for the FA....what you wrote up brings sensation to my GM spine

# 7 RaychelSnr @ 10/22/14 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
GREAT WRITE UP!

I guess you're not playing all games? Mixing Simcast and actual game? Im doing all SIMCast just like any GM who watches the games up the balcony and let the coach and players do their thing. I am looking ahead for the FA....what you wrote up brings sensation to my GM spine
Yeah, I SimCast until the end of closer games and try to pull it out. If its a blowout with the result decided I just let it go. It's a system I used to use in College Hoops back in the day. The better management options in SimCast make it much better now though!

# 8 ggsimmonds @ 10/22/14 06:45 PM
The thing with rookies falling leaves me with mixed feelings. It should definitely happen once in a while but currently it happens too often (every draft I think).

Sadly 2k will correct this via patch and we will probably never see a gem falling like this. Rather than go from one extreme to another I wish they could find a happy medium

# 9 swishfury @ 10/22/14 08:02 PM
Do you guys play all 82 or simulate some? xD

# 10 jmaj315 @ 10/22/14 08:47 PM
could it be because of injury concerns? I havent even made it to the trade deadline yet, but im very curious on how my final scout report is going to look

# 11 HypoLuxa13 @ 10/23/14 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
Should be fixed with the patch that was released for PC and is incoming for PS4/X1.
Definitely was fixed in PC version. Just ran through an offseason in MyGM last night, and traded up to the 15th overall pick, but pickings were slim. One highly rated draft pick who was rated a 78 fell to 8th in the draft, but nothing left but low 70's guys by the time they got outside the top 10. I managed to pick up a 71 rated SF, with A- potential, though. So I can count on him to be a starter in a couple years I think. But unlike previous drafts in MyGM, no 80+ rated guys falling into the bottom half of the draft. And the bottom 1/3 of the first round were all upper 60's rated guys. Some had B or higher potential, but nobody who could come in the next season and immediately be an impact player.

So basically, the draft is fixed and MUCH more realistic! Good Job!

# 12 HypoLuxa13 @ 10/23/14 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Wildcat23
My only question about the mode is this. How do other teams do in free agency? I know in last years game I was able to load up on stars and I saw other teams do the same. I don't think Durant leaves OKC or that they don't offer him the max contract, but I saw it happen in multiple attempts at MyGM last year. Does this occur again in this years game? If so then I'll stick with MyLeague, and have some control over those types of decisions.
My observations so far is that teams do a MUCH better job re-signing their stars that are still in their prime than previous versions of NBA 2K. And I have yet to see any blockbuster trades that didn't make sense.

For example, LeBron gets re-signed by Cleveland in the couple MyGM sims I've done. Have not seen Durant, Westbrook, Lillard, Harden, etc. move from their teams. However, I have seen older stars move/not resigned.

On the flip side, Rajon Rondo, for example, was not resigned by the Celts. Also saw Jokim Noah not resigned by the Bulls and sign somewhere else after a couple years of simming. But both of those guys are past their prime and their skills start to decline after the first season or two of progression. Al Jefferson is another, he got traded by the Hornets to the Lakers, pretty sure it was for a pick and Xavier Henry I think.

# 13 poloelite @ 10/23/14 10:35 AM
Why did you decide to move on from Reggie Jackson so soon?

# 14 HypoLuxa13 @ 10/23/14 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
Why did you decide to move on from Reggie Jackson so soon?
I thought he said because he knew he would have to make some sacrifices to have budget room to re-sign Durant and Westbrook and/or Ibaka? Or maybe I read that wrong.

# 15 Kentucky_Wildcat23 @ 10/23/14 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
My observations so far is that teams do a MUCH better job re-signing their stars that are still in their prime than previous versions of NBA 2K. And I have yet to see any blockbuster trades that didn't make sense.

For example, LeBron gets re-signed by Cleveland in the couple MyGM sims I've done. Have not seen Durant, Westbrook, Lillard, Harden, etc. move from their teams. However, I have seen older stars move/not resigned.

On the flip side, Rajon Rondo, for example, was not resigned by the Celts. Also saw Jokim Noah not resigned by the Bulls and sign somewhere else after a couple years of simming. But both of those guys are past their prime and their skills start to decline after the first season or two of progression. Al Jefferson is another, he got traded by the Hornets to the Lakers, pretty sure it was for a pick and Xavier Henry I think.
That's great to hear. Really that worry is all that's held me back from starting up a MyGM. Now that I know I'll be looking to get into one. Thanks!

# 16 HypoLuxa13 @ 10/23/14 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Wildcat23
That's great to hear. Really that worry is all that's held me back from starting up a MyGM. Now that I know I'll be looking to get into one. Thanks!
Absolutely, I spend about as much time team building and simulating in MyGM as I do in actual gameplay in this year's game. I will say that I have seen some bad trades on the other end of the spectrum. No specific examples, but especially during the draft you'll see teams trade picks along with a couple mediocre or even blow average players. That doesn't happen too often in real life. But better that than seeing a contending team give up a legitimate superstar just for a draft pick like we would see in previous 2k games.

Also, have not seen teams load up on multiple star players at the same position. Exception being Phoenix, with Dragic, Thomas, and Bledsoe all at PG, but that is their real roster so nothing can be done about that unless you edit the rosters before starting your GM. (Dragic has always been a free agent at the end of my first season, so logic is good about them not re-signing him even though he is an 80 something overall). I remember in 2k14 having Kemba walker rated about an 84, but coming off the bench in Charlotte, because the CPU GM signed Chris Paul. Haven't seen any silly move like that so far.

# 17 emelki1968 @ 10/23/14 04:12 PM
Great reading!
I love MyGM. It is so engaging that I can't play any other thing. I also have a doubt, this year. I have had K.Martin (I am using the Timberwolves) asking me to be in the five starter, since after a trade a left my coach to decide the minutes. I said "yes, you will be a starter" but I can't find the place where I can do that. I can change the minutes but nothing else. I remember in previous years, I could set up the five starters, the minutes and even the role of each player. How can I do that? He keeps dropping his morale. He is now 5 in morale. Any suggestions? Thank you.

# 18 Kentucky_Wildcat23 @ 10/24/14 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelki1968
Great reading!
I love MyGM. It is so engaging that I can't play any other thing. I also have a doubt, this year. I have had K.Martin (I am using the Timberwolves) asking me to be in the five starter, since after a trade a left my coach to decide the minutes. I said "yes, you will be a starter" but I can't find the place where I can do that. I can change the minutes but nothing else. I remember in previous years, I could set up the five starters, the minutes and even the role of each player. How can I do that? He keeps dropping his morale. He is now 5 in morale. Any suggestions? Thank you.
I thought that the option to do that was in the same place you change the minutes. I believe you just select your current PF starter and switch him with Martin. If I'm reading this correctly.

# 19 emelki1968 @ 10/24/14 12:20 PM
When I try to do that it is not changing the player at all. I can change the minutes but not the position of the players. I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense but it is happening.

# 20 canucksss @ 10/24/14 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Yeah, I SimCast until the end of closer games and try to pull it out. If its a blowout with the result decided I just let it go. It's a system I used to use in College Hoops back in the day. The better management options in SimCast make it much better now though!
Same here.....and now you remind me of CH 2k8....tears in my eyes ..... i love that game...i hope 2k will still produce that in the near future.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.