Home
Feature Article
How To Build a Quality Defensive Line in Madden 15

If you've just unwrapped Madden 15 for either the Xbox One or PS4, you are probably getting used to one of the major new features, the "War in the Trenches 2.0." This new system provides more user control of the defensive line, and can be quite fun--if you take the time to progress through the tutorials and master the controls.

To help you get started, here are some of the best pass rushers in Madden 15, by position, as of the latest roster update.

Left Defensive End
1. Muhammad Wilkerson (NYJ): Wilkerson has 90+ ratings in key areas, such as strength, power moves, and block shedding. If you are building a franchise, his youth makes him a good player to build around.

2.Vinny Curry (PHI): Curry possesses 80+ power and finesse move ratings, making him very versatile. Plus, because he doesn't currently feature in the Eagles defensive scheme, he can often be found on the trade block at the beginning of a new franchise.

3. Cameron Wake (MIA): If you are looking for a burner on the outside, Wake is one of the fastest and quickest LE's in the game. Plus, his finesse moves also rank #1 for his position.

Right Defensive End:
1. J.J. Watt (HOU): A no-brainer, Watt possesses the ultimate Madden rating of 99, thanks in part to his near perfect power moves and block shedding evaluations.

2. Jason Hatcher (WAS): Similar to Curry above, Hatcher is both quick and strong, and excels in both the power and finesse game. He also has solid rankings in secondary skills, like awareness and play recognition.

3. Sheldon Richardson (NYJ): If you want an end that will lay hard hits on opposing quarterbacks, Richardson is your guy. He's got the best tackle rating of the bunch, along with high grades in in both power moves and hit power. The 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year also has the big hitter and high motor traits.

Defensive Tackle:
1. Gerald McCoy (TB): The number one rated DT, McCoy has high ratings in key categories, including 85+ evaluations in Tackling, Hit Power, Power Moves, and Block Shedding.

2. Vince Wilfork (NE): Wilfork won't beat anyone with his speed, but he makes up for it in pure strength and experience. His awareness (98) and play recognition (97) are both the best at his position. Add in a 93 in Block Shedding and a 96 strength, and you've got one strong, crafty veteran.

3. Marcell Dareus (BUF): I had a Bills franchise going for a while, so I experienced first-hand Dareus' impact on the passsing game. He's strong and relatively fast. Using the new control system, I was consistently able to get pressure on the QB. He's a key piece to a relatively strong (and young) Buffalo defense.

Obviously, there are many more quality rushers in the game, but these nine
will help you disrupt your opponent's passing game in some way.

Who are your favorite defensive linemen in Madden 15?

Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Greencollarbaseball @ 12/30/14 11:06 AM
I thoroughly enjoy my fantasy draft 3-4 D-Line of Watt, Star Lotulelei, and Tank Carradine. Star starts with 97/98 str and 90+ blockshed and SS dev. Tank has 80spd, 85+ blockshed, and quick dev. Since sacks are broke, it's hard to tell their true impact in that aspect, but all three average 15 or so a season.

# 2 BengalsFan99 @ 12/30/14 09:47 PM
My Fav DE is Carlos Dunlap of the Bengals.

# 3 N51_rob @ 01/02/15 01:02 PM
Sad fact that madden doesn't recognize the difference in DE for a 3-4 and 4-3 defense let alone gap assignments nor let things like weight play any role leaves a lot to be desired. Guys can run a 3-4 DE and put a 250 lbs 4-3 rush end at DE and see no difference in what happens on the field.

# 4 jfsolo @ 01/02/15 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencollarbaseball
I thoroughly enjoy my fantasy draft 3-4 D-Line of Watt, Star Lotulelei, and Tank Carradine. Star starts with 97/98 str and 90+ blockshed and SS dev. Tank has 80spd, 85+ blockshed, and quick dev. Since sacks are broke, it's hard to tell their true impact in that aspect, but all three average 15 or so a season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Sad fact that madden doesn't recognize the difference in DE for a 3-4 and 4-3 defense let alone gap assignments nor let things like weight play any role leaves a lot to be desired. Guys can run a 3-4 DE and put a 250 lbs 4-3 rush end at DE and see no difference in what happens on the field.
Yes, drafting and developing players(which is arguably my favorite part of the game) is unfortunately not as rewarding as it should be because of the A.I. and gameplay shortcomings.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.