Home
Feature Article
MLB 15 The Show Fact Sheet Impressions

In case you missed it last week, the Fact Sheet for MLB 15 The Show dropped with all sorts of new information on this year's game. In addition, we're going to learn even more later this week in Sony's first stream of MLB 15's gameplay on Twitch.

So now that we know what The Show is bringing to the table this year, let's see what our staff thinks about how this year's game is shaping up.

Caley Roark: A lot of the items on the list look really good. I'm especially excited about the franchise improvements. I'm glad to see them bringing back the sponsorship options, as I always liked seeing the ads I chose throughout the park. Even better, it sounds like your sponsorship will be part of the broadcast. That's both realistic and creative!

The revamped Diamond Dynasty should give some intrigue to a mode I always feel I should like, but rarely play. The presentation improvements sound interesting, especially those that will help the commentary.

I don't see anything about the Human IK Engine, which was one of the leaked features I am most excited about. Maybe that's set for a specific reveal later.

Anyway, if Sony can deliver on these aspect,MLB 15: The Show should be another solid title in the franchise.

Ben Vollmer: Where to begin? For starters, I love (and have always loved) SCEA for the way they present their information. No tricks, no big marketing gimmicks, just giving the audience what they want on a silver platter and letting us consume it.

As for the fact sheet itself, there's lot of stuff to like. My personal favorites are the updated trade logic and trade finders. I have longed for the day when I could see what I could get for my big name ace at the deadline, even if it's just for fun. Having to scroll through each and every name on the extremely large rosters made that almost impossible. This should really add to the off-season. Editable salaries are also great, and given that everything OS'ers have already done to make the game better, I'm sure they can't wait to get their hands on this.

One thing that is slightly mystifying is the lack of talk about Online Franchise (which has a really rocky debut in 2014). The fact sheet was a long one, and admittedly, I didn't expect them to get to everything. It seems like they remain focused on nailing down the core experience, which will almost certainly lead to another strong year of MLB: The Show.

Robert Kollars: The fact sheet for The Show is something that I forward to every year, and this year is no different. MLB 15 is seemingly full of solid upgrades, and a few new exciting features. That being said, I was hoping to see a few things mentioned which just weren't. I will hold off complete judgement for now, because as others have mentioned, some stuff likely didn't make it onto the fact sheet for various reasons.

Of the improvements and additions that were listed, there are quite a few to be excited about. The addition of new minor league stadiums is huge plus for me, as I am addicted to RTTS and new environments to play in will definitely add to the mode. When I am not playing RTTS, you will find me playing franchise mode, and the addition of the radio show within this mode has me pretty darn excited.

There is so much to like about this fact sheet, and I haven't even talked about the new animations, new home-run swings, and improved trade logic. Basically, I am extremely pleased with the information included, and what we have to look forward to when MLB 15 The Show launches very soon!

Chris Sanner:  Should I be worried that online franchise wasn't really mentioned? Online franchise is in the game, but I'd love to be reassured it's going to be 'better' than last year's debacle. And commentary, the vague promise of new lines is good to hear, I hope.

But that's enough negativity. MLB 15 The Show looks like another winner if the vision in the fact sheet is properly executed. The gameplay improvements seem to be starting to emphasize the speed of the game a bit more, making it more cruicial to focus on the defensive aspects of your team as much as the pitching and batting stats. The fielding has always seemed pretty automatic in any baseball game, so to see that aspect of the game getting new treatment is a welcome sight.

I've got positive vibes as we head towards release...

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 redsox4evur @ 02/02/15 12:42 PM
Obviously Ben didn't read the full list of features because there was some information on commentary in there.

# 2 HustlinOwl @ 02/02/15 12:52 PM
Was bummed to see no info regarding online, especially now that we pay to play online with this current generation and 14 was an absolute mess

# 3 Dazraz @ 02/02/15 01:06 PM
I have to echo Ben's comments regarding the way SCEA release their information. Whereas the trend often sees developers giving features, that more often than not we've seen before, a fancy new name, here we have a compressive list to digest at our leisure. There are some comments regarding increased commentary lines although we're unlikely to be blown away in this regard from the details given so far. It seems the be Radio Show maybe the only notable improvement in this particular area of presentation.

# 4 MAGboyswifT27 @ 02/02/15 01:07 PM
I can't wait for this game to drop. As a sports gamer this was not only the game that converted me to baseball games because I never play them but it was also the best sports game in 2014 IMO.

# 5 aukevin @ 02/02/15 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Was bummed to see no info regarding online, especially now that we pay to play online with this current generation and 14 was an absolute mess
That's a good point. I rarely play any game online so I never gave much thought that you guys that do are paying for PS4 online play now. In my mind I still accepted Sony's less that stellar online experience because it was free even though I know on the PS4 you have to have the PS+ subscription.

# 6 HypoLuxa13 @ 02/02/15 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Obviously Ben didn't read the full list of features because there was some information on commentary in there.
Exactly what I was thinking, the original fact sheet had an entire section on the commentary upgrades. I see the fact sheet over on The Show Nation no longer has this section in the fact sheet though.

Still, it is there:
Quote:
Play-by-Play, Commentary, and PA Improvements
(PS3 & PS4 Only)

Improved strike zone accuracy with new pitch locations for on-the-black calls and borderline balls & strikes
Improved hit call accuracy through new field zone locations and deeper parameter logic
Improved runner rounding base and runner scoring content for more exciting big-play calls
Improved deep fly ball logic that allows more diverse calls on potential home runs, and prevents the user from hearing calls that give away the play result before it occurs
Improved foul ball logic to allow for open-ended play-by-play on playable or nearly playable balls, prevents user from hearing calls that give away the result
New batter introductions and pitch result content for the new skip batter walkup system (speeds up gameplay, tightens play-by-play)
New system for handling safe result calls that includes proper acknowledgement of the runner’s slide type
New conversations with color commentary that remember and discuss the team’s recent record
New conversations with color commentary that highlight the impact of important double plays
New PA batter introductions and content for the new Home Run Derby format
New batter introductions that call out the three part stat line for Average, Home Runs, and RBI’s on the year
New create-a-player first and last names
New play by play and color commentary content for the manager challenge system
Over 1,700 new lines of play-by-play content
Over 1,400 new lines of color commentary

# 7 HustlinOwl @ 02/02/15 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
That's a good point. I rarely play any game online so I never gave much thought that you guys that do are paying for PS4 online play now. In my mind I still accepted Sony's less that stellar online experience because it was free even though I know on the PS4 you have to have the PS+ subscription.
with it being a Sony exclusive, one would think it should be a priority

# 8 asu666 @ 02/02/15 03:06 PM
I'm happy to see them add back in Franchise mode features lost after MLB 12. The experience should be more like NBA 2K15's MyGM mode. Only without any VC at all, just experience points.

# 9 xCULLO @ 02/02/15 03:19 PM
Trade Finder! Thank You!

# 10 BenGerman @ 02/02/15 04:11 PM
You're right guys, I somehow missed the commentary section on the fact sheet. Which is weird, because it's been my biggest complaint for as long as I can remember. Thanks for pointing it out!

With that being the case, I am one happy fan.

# 11 redsox4evur @ 02/02/15 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
You're right guys, I somehow missed the commentary section on the fact sheet. Which is weird, because it's been my biggest complaint for as long as I can remember. Thanks for pointing it out!

With that being the case, I am one happy fan.
No problem Ben. To be honest I want to see how different it is. And also I want to see what the new franchise mode will be like.

# 12 @legendm0de @ 02/02/15 05:09 PM
Dynamic progression/regression, editable contracts, directional bunting, all new speed paradigms for fielding and running and throwing, sounds game changing to me. Only hope is the graphical side of their game also has as much game changing boost, I'd say the chances of that also sound promising with all new grass and dirt setup to corresspond each ballpark, realtime player emotions on field and in dugout plus crowd reactions, honorable mention to their efforts to make up for SOTS by providing hrs of new music?. Players will me modeled with all new skin tones and texture, which is the most flawed current side to the graphics in my opinion, plastic looking skin models.

This is not overhype, these changes are legitimately worth taking a look at. On the downside, I guess the biggest thing to point your finger at, is the lack of retractable roofs and weather improvements. I would love to feel like wind and weather conditions were maxed out but looking at the list of items they addressed it legitimately is forgivable. I wish I could think of more downside because I like to remain hyper critical of my games so they keep improving but hell, they even have included new jumbotron videos which I requested personally months ago. I just can't wait to experience the full package and take a glimpse of their livestream.

# 13 Ghost Of The Year @ 02/02/15 05:28 PM
Editable contracts got my immediate attention but this
Quote:
More than 70 new situational third out fielding animations
has me intrigued too.

# 14 bxphenom7 @ 02/02/15 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Dynamic progression/regression, editable contracts, directional bunting, all new speed paradigms for fielding and running and throwing, sounds game changing to me. Only hope is the graphical side of their game also has as much game changing boost, I'd say the chances of that also sound promising with all new grass and dirt setup to corresspond each ballpark, realtime player emotions on field and in dugout plus crowd reactions, honorable mention to their efforts to make up for SOTS by providing hrs of new music?. Players will me modeled with all new skin tones and texture, which is the most flawed current side to the graphics in my opinion, plastic looking skin models.

This is not overhype, these changes are legitimately worth taking a look at. On the downside, I guess the biggest thing to point your finger at, is the lack of retractable roofs and weather improvements. I would love to feel like wind and weather conditions were maxed out but looking at the list of items they addressed it legitimately is forgivable. I wish I could think of more downside because I like to remain hyper critical of my games so they keep improving but hell, they even have included new jumbotron videos which I requested personally months ago. I just can't wait to experience the full package and take a glimpse of their livestream.
I think the lack of weather imrovements is one of the little things MLB The Show misses that breaks the immersion sometimes. Players' jerseys sag but never react to wind. I think this would give The Show a live and dynamic feel.

# 15 Lovesports @ 02/02/15 07:35 PM
No career stats is a huge disappointment to me, but trade finder and performance based player progression are HUGE!!!

# 16 redsox4evur @ 02/02/15 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
No career stats is a huge disappointment to me, but trade finder and performance based player progression are HUGE!!!
Career stats is now priority 1 for franchise next year. Russell confirmed on thursday.

# 17 Eman5805 @ 02/02/15 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Editable contracts got my immediate attention but this has me intrigued too.
Sounds like you're going to see guys hopping when they catch the 3rd out or doing signature animations.

# 18 Cowboy008 @ 02/02/15 11:46 PM
The fact sheet was great and I can't wait for the stream on Thursday. If I had to pick one thing that I was a little bummed about was that they didn't mention the Human IK engine.

# 19 WaitTilNextYear @ 02/03/15 02:35 AM
Plusses

+ Year-to-year saves (++ if '15 can read '14 roster files..fingers crossed)
+ A variety of new animations and hopefully good riddance to lolly gagging at the wrong time
+ Trade finder and improved trade logic (although this is one thing I'll believe it when I see it, tbh because it's been SO bad it spawned 8,000 page threads on OS--even improved from this could still be pretty bad)
+ Editable contracts!
+ Radio show!
+ Wrigley renovations (Cubs fan here)
+ Replay system is in
+ Refreshed franchise mode (owner goals, sponsorships, slightly more depth etc..)
+ Grass, dirt reboot?
+ Beefed up commentary
+ Licensed equipment (not really my thing, but I might be more impressed playing with this gear and noticing it a bit)

Minuses

- Stagnant, frustrating stat tracking
- Player models largely the same? Animations bring them to life, but the player graphics are pretty unimpressive when standing still in batters box etc.. (purely speculating here)
- Lots of the roster management options don't work well (cpu is terrible at 40-man roster management and always gets fleeced in the Rule 5 draft unless you baby them and manage their 40-man)
- Still lacking quite a bit of roster management depth (10 round drafts, no stats/backstories/signing bonuses/possibility of prospects refusing to come out, contracts don't have vesting options or other common provisions like bonuses, no cash in trades or ability to add ptbnl, no minors below A ball to stash and develop youngsters)
- In-game AI (poor bullpen management with no propensity for situational R/L matchups, poor use of 2nd catcher, boneheaded baserunning going for 3rd with 2 outs and down by a lot in a late game situation)
- No create-a-team or relocation options
- No stadium builder or ability to manipulate retractable roofs

To be fair, I think a few of the minuses on my list are things SDS is looking into for '16. From the sheer volume of things mentioned in fact sheet, it seems like SDS was spread pretty thin as it was for the '15 cycle. All in all, '15 seems to be a development cycle in which SDS covered a lot of ground.

# 20 geisterhome @ 02/03/15 06:11 AM
The reading round table actually got me more excited

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.