Home
Feature Article
MLB 15 The Show Power Rankings: Pitchers and Catchers Report Edition

It seems like baseball, more than any other professional sport, only needs an offseason to have its world rattled. Moves like Jimmy Rollins to the Dodgers, Jon Lester to the Cubs, and the Atlanta Braves practically getting rid of their entire offense are things you would almost never see in another sport. Yet, in the MLB, it feels almost common. So for those of you who haven't stayed up with the most up-to-date roster transactions and acquisitions (or for those of you who just want a refresher), here is our official power ranking of all 30 Major League teams and how they should stack up in-game in preparation for MLB 15 The Show.

30. Arizona Diamondbacks: Outside of Goldschmidt and the recent acquisition of the power hitting Cuban Yasmany Tomas, there is very little to have fun with.

29. Cincinnati Reds: Billy Hamilton and Joey Votto are the extent of what's exciting about the Reds.

28. Philadelphia Phillies: One of the oldest and least talented rosters in baseball, the Phillies are still a few trades away from having the necessary talent for a rebuild.

27. Atlanta Braves: It's hard to imagine what the Braves were thinking this offseason, letting most of their best hitters go to other teams, but they still have a sturdy staff that could be fun to play with.

26. Colorado Rockies: Their ballpark is more exciting than the players that it fields, even if Tulo can stay healthy.

25. New York Mets: Good young pitchers, but maybe the worst offense in baseball. How bad is the N.L. East this year?

24. Houston Astros: They still have a fun stadium and that guy named Springer is pretty good. Otherwise, the Astros can't seem to emerge from the rebuilding identity that they've carried for years.

23. Minnesota Twins: Tons of exciting young players, but when will we see them?

22. Chicago White Sox: This could be the year they make a push, especially with Abreu emerging as one of the leagues best power bats.

21. Milwaukee Brewers: The Brew Crew still has some bashers on their team, but with little to no pitching, how good can they actually be?

20. San Diego Padres: Look for them to make a big deal and surge up the power rankings before Spring Training. They are still one more ace away from being able to compete with the Dodgers.

19. Miami Marlins: They made a few strong moves this offseason, but they still don't have the depth of your usual playoff contender.

18. Tampa Bay Rays: Whether you love or hate Tropicana Field, you can't ignore the small, intelligent moves the Rays continue to make to stay relevant.

17. Baltimore Orioles: They had a bit of a fluky year with pitching last year, and Chris Davis' hitting ability seems to have fallen off of a cliff.

16. Kansas City Royals: The Cinderella story of 2014 is going to have to prove themselves again in 2015, because on paper, their roster still isn't that eye-catching.

15. Texas Rangers: Surely they can't be as bad as last year, right?

14. Pittsburgh Pirates: They still have the most beautiful ballpark in baseball, and have one of the most exciting players to match it.

13. Cleveland Indians: After making a huge second half swing in 2014, it's hard to imagine that they won't be players in 2015. Especially after the addition of underrated Brandon Moss.

12. Los Angeles Angels: Mike Trout, Mike Trout, Mike Trout.

11. Toronto Blue Jays: They remain one of the most exciting lineups in baseball, and with one of the best pitching prospects in baseball (Aaron Sanchez) they may finally have enough to get over the hump.

10. New York Yankees: They made all the right moves in 2014 to get them ready for this year, so it will be interesting to see if a more balanced lineup prevails over the Yankee's usually star-studded roster.

9. Detroit Tigers: They're quickly reaching Phillies territory of of the last few years, but their window should stretch for at least another couple of years.

8. Seattle Mariners: A surprisingly tame offseason may not draw a ton of interest, but the Mariner's still have one of the most diverse and youthful rosters in baseball.

7. Oakland Athletics: If you're not a fan of Moneyball, then you're behind the times. One of the most active off-seasons in recent memory makes them highly playable.

6. San Fransisco Giants: All they do is win, but how appealing is their roster to play with? Bumgarner remains one of the most dynamic pitchers in baseball.

5. St. Louis Cardinals: Along with the Giants, you would be hard pressed to find a better run organization in all of sports. Consistently a threat and always loaded with cheap, young talent. How do they do it?

4. Boston Red Sox: They have loaded up this offseason with a ton of outfielders and pitching depth, not to mention that Fenway is only going to be more fun to play with as MLB: The Show gets better looking.

3. Washington Nationals: There's so much power here that it's hard to believe that the Nationals were bottom dwellers in the N.L. East just a couple of years ago.

2. Chicago Cubs: Theo Epstein is considered the best young mind in baseball, and for good reason. The Cubs are absolutely overflowing with talent at every position, and acquired Lester in hopes that he could guide the Cubs to their first World Series in over 100 years.

1. Los Angeles Dodgers: Even without Kemp, Gordon or Hanley, the Dodgers have to be considered the favorite to win it all in 2015. Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu lead what should be the best rotation in baseball.

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 seanjeezy @ 02/19/15 05:45 PM
If these rankings are meant to represent fun factor in your franchise, then I can justify the Cubs being that high - arguably the best farm system, cool stadium, middle of the pack MLB team that has the potential to get a lot better... they have quite a few things going for them.

# 42 Ryan97 @ 02/19/15 05:55 PM
Its pretty obvious this is a list based off two things. 1) Fun Factor in franchise and play-ability. 2) How the teams will play out in the actual game.

# 43 BenGerman @ 02/19/15 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88
I'm all about people having and displaying their opinion. But for something to be front page worthy, there should be sufficient facts and details as to how the end product was derived. I'm sorry, but in this case, there's nothing - hence, outrage.

Below are links to rankings that give reasoning for each teams ranking:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-entering-2015

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/2...no-longer-no-1
I'm sorry that you're not pleased with where I ranked the Pirates, but multiple projection websites have them as around the 15th best team in terms of total WAR. Where they will finish is another story, given that the NL Central isn't as strong as several other divisions.

# 44 BenGerman @ 02/19/15 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
I don't get why everyone is so down on the Brewers in 2015... They led MLB last year with 150 days in 1st... Yes I know/hear all the time about the collapse... 2015 is a brand new year... This team has 3 legit MVP players (Braun, Lucroy, Gomez) and a solid pitching staff.

I really don't get it.
First, I'll reiterate that this isn't a traditional power ranking. This is teams that people are going to want to play with in The Show based off of numerous things (ie why I mentioned stadiums in the article). So when people laugh at the Cubs ranking, I'm not actually saying the Cubs are the second best team in baseball. That's absurd.

Second, I actually love the Brew-Crew moving forward. I love teams that rely on power for offense. I'm a big fan of Gomez and I think Segura bounces back this year. I also really like the Pirates. But neither team made a huge splash this offseason, and I think that makes them less inviting to play with in MLB: The Show.

# 45 Ghost Of The Year @ 02/19/15 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I'm sorry that you're not pleased with where I ranked the Pirates, but multiple projection websites have them as around the 15th best team in terms of total WAR. Where they will finish is another story, given that the NL Central isn't as strong as several other divisions.
The most interesting lists are the ones that get your attention, & this list did just that. Kudos

# 46 KHarmo88 @ 02/19/15 06:16 PM
Quote:
What bothers me is that this is being labeled as the official OS rankings.

If you would add your following quote to the article, there'd be no argument on your rankings.

"First, I'll reiterate that this isn't a traditional power ranking. This is teams that people are going to want to play with in The Show based off of numerous things (ie why I mentioned stadiums in the article)"

I usually don't argue about things like this, but it's just frustrating how misleading this was.

# 47 BenGerman @ 02/19/15 06:24 PM
Quote:
What bothers me is that this is being labeled as the official OS rankings.

If you would add your following quote to the article, there'd be no argument on your rankings.

"First, I'll reiterate that this isn't a traditional power ranking. This is teams that people are going to want to play with in The Show based off of numerous things (ie why I mentioned stadiums in the article)"
Well whenever one of us writes a piece - especially an opinion piece - I don't think it's fair to assume that that's the way our whole writing staff feels. I think that kind of thing goes without saying for most people. I in no way meant to mislead anyone.

But again, just as with any pre-season list you see out there, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a huge metrics guy and when I write these kinds of things, I do research before posting them. I've already admitted than a lot of what I wrote has to do with how appealing the teams will be to actually play with.

All of that said, I totally respect everyone's opinion here and I love the conversation.

# 48 BenGerman @ 02/19/15 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
The most interesting lists are the ones that get your attention, & this list did just that. Kudos
Thanks Ghost!

Like I said in a post above, my rankings are usually a little out there because I evaluate teams differently. I'm a huge Sabr guy who loves big splash moves. I get that not everyone feels that way.

# 49 KHarmo88 @ 02/19/15 06:29 PM
Quote:
Well whenever one of us writes a piece - especially an opinion piece - I don't think it's fair to assume that that's the way our whole writing staff feels. I think that kind of thing goes without saying for most people. I in no way meant to mislead anyone.

But again, just as with any pre-season list you see out there, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a huge metrics guy and when I write these kinds of things, I do research before posting them. I've already admitted than a lot of what I wrote has to do with how appealing the teams will be to actually play with.

All of that said, I totally respect everyone's opinion here and I love the conversation.
I understand where you're coming from. Injuries have a lot to do with how rankings can change in a heartbeat.

You see all the comments you've received, lol, so I think if you would have just originally stated that this was based off of fun to play teams, stadiums, etc, and not a legitimate ranking, a lot of this could have been avoided

# 50 BenGerman @ 02/19/15 06:32 PM
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. Injuries have a lot to do with how rankings can change in a heartbeat.

You see all the comments you've received, lol, so I think if you would have just originally stated that this was based off of fun to play teams, stadiums, etc, and not a legitimate ranking, a lot of this could have been avoided
Perhaps! I'll take that into account next time. Not that I don't love the response, but I definitely don't want to confuse anyone.

And trust me when I say that I'll be spending a large portion of my time with the game playing as the Pirates. I love PNC, love 'Cutch, and think they have a really well-rounded squad that is probably an ace away from a serious playoff push.

# 51 KHarmo88 @ 02/19/15 06:35 PM
Quote:
Perhaps! I'll take that into account next time. Not that I don't love the response, but I definitely don't want to confuse anyone.

And trust me when I say that I'll be spending a large portion of my time with the game playing as the Pirates. I love PNC, love 'Cutch, and think they have a really well-rounded squad that is probably an ace away from a serious playoff push.
It's definitely funny seeing some of the responses.

I'm hoping either Taillon or Glasnow can be that ace to push them over the top. I was really hoping they would've been in on Shields

# 52 BenGerman @ 02/19/15 06:41 PM
Quote:
It's definitely funny seeing some of the responses.

I'm hoping either Taillon or Glasnow can be that ace to push them over the top. I was really hoping they would've been in on Shields
Shields would have made a lot of sense for them. You guys have some pretty decent depth in your farm system, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone emerged.

# 53 SDwinder @ 02/19/15 07:11 PM
Wow, Angels really getting low-balled. Should be Top 5. Calhoun IS the real deal. Look for him to just get better, with Trout, Pujols, and Don Baylor all supporting him. Now if some of that can just rub off on Josh!

Angels won 98 games last season with a very weak bullpen the first half. Once that got fixed, they took off, actually playing their best ball with Josh sitting. Howie Kendrick went off in Sept. and picked up the slack for Josh. Howie normally is just above average though and should be easily replaced. 2nd Base they have Rutledge and Green. I have always liked Green. Not sure why they don't give it to him. He has good ABs and sure fielder, gets clutch hits too. But they actually have 4 or 5 guys fighting for that spot.

Shoemaker is the wildcard. He was SOOO good the 2nd half. He reminded me of Maddox in his prime. If he can reproduce that the entire season and the the Angels Starting pitching stays healthy, the bullpen is among the very best, the offense will produce but hopefully not just in bunches, but more consistently. Garrett Richards should just get better. He was a true #1 when he went down. Weaver is always good for 15-20 Wins, not because of stuff, but because he knows how to pitch. CJ Wilson can be counted on for 15 Wins, even if he is unreliable at times. That's the top 4 Starters. The 5th spot they have some very good young arms fighting for that and the 6th spot start slot.

Angels should be better this year barring injuries. If Josh can do a .275, 25HR, 80 RBI healthy season, Angels could run away. Remember, he was on fire in April last year, when he dove into 1st Base on an easy Out and busted his hand.

# 54 Resile @ 02/19/15 07:12 PM
The Padres that far down? If I am not mistaken, our pitching rotation was among the best in the MLB, along with the bullpen. Our rotation only got better this offseason, and our historically-terrible offense a lot better as well. I could have made better rankings by closing my eyes and randomly shuffling teams onto the list.

Also, this list couldn't have been based on just the fun factor; the Padres have one of the nicest stadiums in the league, we have fun sluggers to use (Kemp, Upton, etc), and a deep pitching staff as well (Shields, Cash, Ross, Kennedy, etc). Our farm system still has some solid prospects and our MLB team is relatively young.

I know our uniforms our pretty bland (the brown ones and camo are cool though, and fun to play with in a pick-up game or franchise mode!), but why in the world are the Padres ranked so low? It just boggles my mind...

# 55 mdiggitydawg @ 02/19/15 09:00 PM
seriously, too much Theo love..Cubs at number 2, c'mon, after Lester the rotation is serviceable, many of their young players have yet to make their major league debut and well, it's the cubs…if it can go wrong, it will

# 56 mdiggitydawg @ 02/19/15 09:01 PM
no disrespect intended Ben

# 57 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/20/15 12:02 AM
Quote:
Thanks Ghost!

Like I said in a post above, my rankings are usually a little out there because I evaluate teams differently. I'm a huge Sabr guy who loves big splash moves. I get that not everyone feels that way.
If these are ranked by "exciting factor" then fine, I get the Cubs being near the top, that makes sense. But that still doesn't explain how the White Sox and Padres are so low. They each had arguably the best offseasons this winter. If we are going "exciting factor" that people will want to have fun with, I'd rank the White Sox, Cubs, Padres, Dodgers, Marlins, Red Sox as the top 6 teams. They did the most exciting things this offseason, in my opinion.

And just by signing Yasmany Tomas, I'd move the Diamondbacks off of the #30 ranking. Tomas and Kang as the most exciting INT'L talent this year, IMO.

# 58 MLB Bob @ 02/20/15 12:10 AM
In the worlds of Sir Charles.... turrible

# 59 jdlsantos @ 02/20/15 12:43 AM
I like how after the writer of this article EXPLAINED that the list is about playing with teams in MLB The Show 15, people are STILL up in arms with torches and rakes. Smh lol.

With that said the Yankees in the top 15? Besides Tanaka this team still looks boring as hell to play with.

# 60 HustlinOwl @ 02/20/15 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlsantos
I like how after the writer of this article EXPLAINED that the list is about playing with teams in MLB The Show 15, people are STILL up in arms with torches and rakes. Smh lol.

With that said the Yankees in the top 15? Besides Tanaka this team still looks boring as hell to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemejoehome
yeah exactly

while I disagree about a few things on that list, I am sure if ANYONE did their own list there would be everybody complaining that there team is to high or to low.

as for MLB the show going by ratings yeah Yankees will always be in top 10 because all the time they are overrated big names who never perform (and I am a yankees fan)
no where in the original post did he/they state in "our" power rankings was this list based off teams that he/they want to use/play with in MLBTS15

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.