Home
Feature Article
Which MLB Team is the Most Intriguing to Play As This Year? (Roundtable)

Pitchers and catchers have or are reporting, that means all of the trappings of Spring are in the air -- just don't walk outside.

With baseball season closer than ever, and with MLB rosters becoming somewhat finalized now, there's no time like the present to talk about the teams we are most excited to play as in MLB 15 The Show.

Bob Kollars: For me, it has to be the Chicago Cubs. With the addition of John Lester, Miguel Montero, Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, and with the looming debut of top prospect Kris Bryant, Chicago is as loaded a video game team has ever been. The Cubs still posses one of the best farm systems in baseball, so either bring the kids up, or make amove at the deadline to improve your young core.

Just because the Cubs are my first choice, doesn't mean there aren't some other incredibly intriguing teams out there. The Padres remodeled their entire offense, and the addition James Shields is an interesting decision. I also think the White Sox might be entertaining with the additions of Melky Cabrera and Jeff Smardzija.

Jeremy Chisenhall: To me, the Boston Red Sox have to be the most intriguing team for this year.

The combination of franchise centerpieces that have been in Boston for years, and newcomers who are sure to improve the team, really draws my attention. They've added Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez to add to Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. On top of that, it looks like Koji Uehara is going to take the closing role for at least one more year, which gives Boston a great chance to make one last run at a championship with the veterans they have. While that group is likely to only make one more run at a title, the Red Sox have some young guns like Mookie Betts and Blake Swihart to center their team around once the veterans hang up their cleats.

Danny Webster: The Miami Marlins finally have something going.

How they managed the wherewithal to secure Giancarlo Stanton to an absurd extension is still baffling. What's even more baffling is how Stanton put his trust in the Marlins. With Stanton locked up for a long time, he's Miami's centerpiece that you can build around offensively. Miami also has an ace, 22-year-old Jose Fernandez who, while recovering from Tommy John Surgery, is still a beast in the world of video game land.

So use the Marlins and get Ichiro a championship. Oh, and turn the Marlins from the butt of all baseball jokes to the top of the world, with that absurd fountain as the landmark that signifies just what in the world they're doing.

Brandon Kosal - This year is the Detroit Tigers' year. If you follow baseball at all, you probably rolled your eyes pretty hard after reading that sentence, since every year seems to be the Tigers' year. Calling this year 'the year' sounds odd considering they're not even the consensus favorite in their own division, but they had a strong off-season. They ignored aces and power hitters, instead focusing on what they needed. They should be at least decent defensively, not to mention the well-rounded outfield. The rotation is a question mark for the first time in years, but they should be a player again this year if they can stay relatively healthy.

Philip Varckette: Even though they are my team, I feel the Cleveland Indians are one of the most intriguing teams in baseball. With Cy Young winner Corey Kluber solidifying the top spot in the rotation, veteran Gavin Floyd, and youngsters with potential (Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco), they could have one of the best rotations in the A.L. Central. If the young talent starts to pan out of course.

And we can't forget about MVP candidate Michael Brantley. I'm sure he will lead the team in the hitting department again this year. If the Indians can somehow land a right-handed power bat, they could be a dangerous team this year.

Caley Roark: For me, the whirlwind that took place in San Diego has got the Padres sitting at the top of my most intriguing teams list.

First, and most recently, the addition of James Shields solidifies a relatively good rotation. Josh Johnson represents a low-risk reclamation project, and Ian Kennedy had a quiet but decent 2014.

Then, there is the revamped outfield, including Matt Kemp, Justin Upton and Will Myers. If these guys can stay healthy and produce, is there a better outfield in baseball?

Additionally, they have a quality bullpen and a decent young third baseman in former Red Sox' Will Middlebrooks.

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 CubFan23 @ 02/21/15 10:04 AM
Gotta be the Cubs, with all that young talent, should be a fun year on the Northside this summer!

# 2 Knight165 @ 02/21/15 10:08 AM
S.D. has made some interesting moves.

While I continue(thank you Lord for Y2Y saves!) my Met franchise....I think I will start a new one in '15 with S.D.

M.K.
Knight165

# 3 nemesis04 @ 02/21/15 10:12 AM
I am actually looking forward to using the Yanks this year. It's a mixed bag of players and want to see how it all shakes out.

# 4 braves_94 @ 02/21/15 10:19 AM
Cardinals are always an under the radar team on the show. They've been loaded with bats for the past decade and always have a #1 ace. This year will probably be no different with the perpetually overrated Jason Hayward in the mix in right. Holiday and Adams will probably follow. Their probably 8th hitter Jon Jay likely will have high 70s contact as well. You can hit all day with the team and stifle opponents with Wainwright.

As for the Braves... at least their farm system is stocked with young arms and plus potential infielders. Could be a rather quick rebuild if you land some not to far from the show outfielders in your franchise draft. Team should be up and running after two quick sim years.

# 5 Jeffrey Smith @ 02/21/15 10:24 AM
While I'm excited for the Blue Jays again this year I always love the rebuilds. So maybe the Phillies or A's.

# 6 YeOldTonk @ 02/21/15 10:24 AM
Going to go with my hometown Mariners. Finally adding a RH bat with Nelson Cruz to go with Cano, hoping the young arms come back from injury in the starting rotation to compliment Felix and Kuma. Solid bullpen. This could be the year the Ms make some noise in the AL.

# 7 braves_94 @ 02/21/15 10:27 AM
Complete tear downs, Reds and Phillies.

# 8 rkocjay @ 02/21/15 10:33 AM
yankees with there post jeter roster and thisA Roid guy. But exciting to see my yankees in mlb the show and real life

# 9 ShowTyme15 @ 02/21/15 10:42 AM
Padres, Cubs, Red Sox, and Marlins are intriguing teams. With year to year saves I have a Tigers franchise going that I may continue depending on how many new coaches they got into the game. If all the teams have correct coaches (or at least most teams) I may start a new one with the Cubs.

# 10 TMalone2010 @ 02/21/15 10:42 AM
As a big reds fan I'm always excited to play with them , the new look Padres could be fun too !!

# 11 aldon_47 @ 02/21/15 11:10 AM
I always have at least one franchise going with my hometown Twins and I was very excited to continue the save from '14 but with all the changes they have made (new manager, Torii Hunter, Santana, etc.) I think I might have also fire up a completely new one. Ill still keep my old save but I have a feeling that one will go by the wayside. Probably have a new one with the Cards as well since they are my #2 team.

# 12 redsox4evur @ 02/21/15 11:17 AM
I am going to be using the Sox again. I may give the new look the Padres a try.

# 13 redsox4evur @ 02/21/15 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
Worst and biggest head scratcher - Boston red Sox? AL east is the worst division not just in the AL maybe in the league.

The team really getting the shaft is the oakland A's almost entirely revamped with solid players and if you don't think they'll be a factor I'd bet you
If you know the Red Sox way. Then you would know Lester was gone when the regular season started. They do not want to pay pitchers over the age of 30 big bucks like Lester wanted. And Sandoval was a great signing, IMO. He allows Bogaerts to ultimately move back to SS where he should have been all season. And he takes over the ****ty Will Middlebrooks. Hanley is a question mark but he should be alright. He has a bat and as long as he can learn to play the wall he will be fine in Boston.

# 14 HypoLuxa13 @ 02/21/15 11:34 AM
Finally going to run a Cubs franchise with minimal setup. Past years I've had to edit the heck out of their minor league rosters to get some of their young talent created. This year I'll only have to edit/create a few guys and I won't have to sim ahead 2-3 seasons to get the roster built up. I can start playing games right away.

Besides my Cubs franchise being my primary one, I like to run a couple others using primarily simming and acting like a true GM.

- This year I think I may tear down the Anaheim Angels and start over while Trout is still young, and build around him. The Pujols and Hamilton contracts will be hard to unload, assuming trade logic is indeed improved this year.

-Also, I may try a Royals franchise, see if I can make moves to get them over the hump and win a world series.

# 15 puckhogg11 @ 02/21/15 11:44 AM
I have been the Mariners last year and the Padres the year before. I wish that I would have waited until this year to use one of them. The Cubs look great with all of the young talent and the new manager but maybe it's time to look at the Astros.

# 16 andrewochs615 @ 02/21/15 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
Worst and biggest head scratcher - Boston red Sox? AL east is the worst division not just in the AL maybe in the league.

The team really getting the shaft is the oakland A's almost entirely revamped with solid players and if you don't think they'll be a factor I'd bet you
How is the AL East the worst division? It had more combined wins then any other division last year except for 1 i believe. Any team in that division could win it. The worst division this year looks like the NL East.

# 17 Joey @ 02/21/15 12:16 PM
I'll be playing my Franchise (well, transferring it over) with the 1987 Reds. (Thanks to jethrotull/jmeyer).

I'll also be continuing my current Cubs Franchise, but I'm pretty much a classic rosters guy.

# 18 DJ @ 02/21/15 12:25 PM
I think the Mets with all the young pitchers would be a good team to use.

# 19 xCULLO @ 02/21/15 12:30 PM
If you just want to win games and rings off the bat it has to be the Dodgers.. You can go in cruise control with Kershaw and Greinke most of the time. The offense will definitely be more consistent this year. Only work that needs to be done is gather a few bullpen arms before the deadline, and the World Series will be a breeze.

My rebuild team has to be the Mets. Lots of young pitching talent and not a terrible payroll situation makes this a realistic year they finally get Tulo like everyone has been predicting for so long. Offense and bullpen need the most work but if you can rally to an early season record, blowing up that farm system for a run will be worth it.

# 20 redsox4evur @ 02/21/15 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCULLO
If you just want to win games and rings off the bat it has to be the Dodgers.. You can go in cruise control with Kershaw and Greinke most of the time. The offense will definitely be more consistent this year. Only work that needs to be done is gather a few bullpen arms before the deadline, and the World Series will be a breeze.

My rebuild team has to be the Mets. Lots of young pitching talent and not a terrible payroll situation makes this a realistic year they finally get Tulo like everyone has been predicting for so long. Offense and bullpen need the most work but if you can rally to an early season record, blowing up that farm system for a run will be worth it.
You are not getting Tulo realistically unless you give up AT LEAST one of Thor, Wheeler or Degrom. Plus another top 10 organizational prospect, and maybe a couple of decent high risk/high reward guys.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.