Home
Feature Article
Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

Writing about a game where there is almost no information on it and just pure speculation is not easy.

And then there’s writing about Joe Montana Football 16, a game which is as mysterious in the sense that we don’t even know if it truly exists much less what company is working on it.

Last July, Joe Montana himself posted about a game called Joe Montana Football 16 — which set off a firestorm of speculation on OS and around the internet. Posters discovered that a company was working on a mobile football game utilizing the Unreal Engine 4 — from there we really have to start digging to get any information.

At the head of any effort to bring a football game called Joe Montana Football 16 to market is Damon Grow, Former CEO of several companies including Shattered Reality Interactive, Rocket Ninja, Inc. and CrowdMob Inc. — all based in San Francisco, CA. Grow has worked extensively in the social gaming space, and is someone who has worked on mobile platforms for quite some time.

Currently Grow lists himself as being employed by a ‘Super Secret Sports’ Company, with Joe Montana listed in parenthesis on his Twitter Account.

Thus far, Grow has released a few nuggets of information about the game. First, the crowds in the football game he is working on have 3500 fan permutations (Feb 4). That doesn’t mean there are 3500 fan models though, just that fans can be ordered or varied in 3500 different ways — that’s a key difference which many overlooked when that information was initially released.

Another release of information from Grow was met with a hashtag of “#TheGrind”, which can be assumed to be talking about the development of the game. On the wall in the picture are player models — which one could assume are from the football game in development. (Jan 28)

Grow has posted a couple of times the player models they are working on as assets, one an impressive GIF showing sweat and blood vessel dilation (Jan 21) and another showing a face, presumably a development asset. (Dec 31)

We know motion capture has taken place (Nov 21), there will be touchdown dances (Nov 18), and that Joe Montana has at least some input into the game (Nov 19).

Later tweets by Grow indicate Montana may be heavily involved in the development. (Jan 10)

Joe Montana himself showed off a brief bit of in-game animation, claiming the game was more than a roster update (Oct 22).

Grow confirmed player cards and ratings — with AI being a main focus. (Nov 14)

Tracking down more, Grow refuses to decline if he is working with 2K Sports on Joe Montana Football, but has outright denied involvement with EA. Obviously, this could be a ploy to throw people off his track/Grow just having fun with the internet — but it must be noted Visual Concepts is a San Francisco-area based company.

At the end of the day, there’s a lot of hints about what could be when it comes to Joe Montana Football 16 — but very little about what is. With Grow leading the charge, it would seem strange if his experience in social and mobile gaming wasn’t the reason he was brought on to be a part of this project. Despite the impressive facial scans, it still remains somewhat doubtful a major console football effort is afoot — but you can’t rule out that possibility completely.

With Montana so heavily involved in the development and PR, it’s doubtful this is an effort by a major studio like 2K Sports, but not impossible. While it wouldn’t be unheard of, the odds of Montana needing to clear and/or holding up PR efforts as Grow indicates in a larger company would be pretty slim. However, Grow not listing the actual company he is working for is an interesting point worthy of consideration.

Most likely, Joe Montana Football 16 will be a multi-platform free to play game that leans more towards an Ultimate Team type of experience versus a traditional console and modes based game given the current market and the man leading the charge. We will be keeping our eyes on what is going on in San Francisco, and hopefully we all learn more about what’s coming soon!

Member Comments
# 1 kcsam @ 02/24/15 07:30 PM
What about the tweet where Grow said it wouldn't just be limited to PC (or something along those lines)? Or by your "multi-platform free to play" statement you meant that it would encompass the PC (via internet and not software)? Maybe not limited to PC also means mobile, too? Now I'm beginning to think again that this will be some free to play game as you stated earlier. If so, what a drag. Sigh... Back to Madden 12.

# 2 NC12 @ 02/24/15 09:25 PM
Just hope this isn't another Backbreaker

# 3 kcsam @ 02/24/15 09:43 PM
Good post, FaceMask. I totally agree.

On a second note, Damon said they were on the verge of opening forum. Not sure if its purpose was for them to field ideas (I'm assuming they're too long in development to be taking our ideas into consideration for this release) or just a place to drop info. Still waiting to hear when we can expect that forum and what it's purpose will be.

# 4 rkocjay @ 02/24/15 10:30 PM
I hope this game is a console game would suck if its an mobile little mews and no realese timeframe so we wait and see

# 5 balljonesjr @ 02/25/15 02:23 AM
This is all fine and dandy (this being the article and comments) but as I digested what I read I had a devious thought. What if there is no other game being made just someone trying to put the developers at EA on noticem Like they are trying to scare them into creating a better game. Just a thought though

# 6 stos5363 @ 02/25/15 05:53 AM
Wow way to incite a panic everyone needs to RELAX . I watched a interview with damon and joe montana on tech crunches youtube account and mr. grow is bright a whip.In the interview joe talks about trying to get his game back on a console check it out. Also they were demoing the game at the superbowl meaning they had to be showing it to someone at the nfl and the graphics are clearly next gen they look like 2ks face scans.So people need to just chill out on the mobile game theory . I mean have you seen madden mobile ? lmao. Damon is dropping dimes yall just not catching the passes.

# 7 roadman @ 02/25/15 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stos5363
Wow way to incite a panic everyone needs to RELAX . I watched a interview with damon and joe montana on tech crunches youtube account and mr. grow is bright a whip.In the interview joe talks about trying to get his game back on a console check it out. Also they were demoing the game at the superbowl meaning they had to be showing it to someone at the nfl and the graphics are clearly next gen they look like 2ks face scans.So people need to just chill out on the mobile game theory . I mean have you seen madden mobile ? lmao. Damon is dropping dimes yall just not catching the passes.
They didn't demo the game at the SB, they pulled it away at the 11th hour, it wasn't ready, yet.

I don't think people need to chill out on anything, yet, Grow's background and experience lies in the mobile industry. It's very possible they are working with another developer.

Good timing on the article, I agree with FM, except on one note.

I'm assuming Joe is in charge of the purse strings, so, I'm sure he is/will be calling the shots on marketing and other major decisions.

# 8 iLLmatic @ 02/25/15 10:51 AM
Here's my 2 pennies on the subject:

I had seen that Techcrunch video months ago, but since the focus was on that app, i paid it little mind until more talk of JMF 16 started to pick up steam so I re-watched it & I believe the info I think we're looking for is in there, encrypted a little bit, but in there nonetheless, and is all I personally need to believe that this is more than a mobile game. The first couple of sentences out of his mouth and he's talking about Madden and there being no competition and console gaming.

I know as much as anyone else here but my sumation of whats going on is that I see Damon Grow's involvement as being initially for the fantasy mobile game but then with his overall knowledge about gaming in general it led to more work with JM. DG is no doubt a huge part of the overall game development, but he could also be just a liason/project manager of sorts overseeing the company that is developing the game and speaks for and with JM when necessary, thus the reason why he can't be too verbose about news or leak info unless it goes through the proper channel aka funder of the project, Joe Montana.

I personally don't think that after seeing that video and hearing Montana ' s acknowledgement of there being no competition for Madden as well as his mentioning of the term "console gaming" I dont think that he'd be foolish enough to have a guy associated with his game, posting pics of detailed graphics, motion capture animations and of 2K5 and then do all that as some sort of trick to only present & promote a mobile game.

He'd be only tempting serious backlash from supporters who'll be turned off by anything he tried to make in the future, console game or not.

Heres the link for those who want to watch who haven't seen it:

http://techcrunch.com/video/joe-mont...mfl/517751363/

# 9 ElectricAggie @ 02/25/15 12:20 PM
I just watched the video and there are a couple things that I would like to point out:

-The video was posted back in April 2013. I think it's safe to say that a lot of changes to the project have happened since then.
-Joe mentioned that there was no competitor for Madden currently, which leads me to believe he has some interest in creating a game that would compete with Madden.
-The game seemed very dependent on having an NFL license. Joe mentioned that they were close to making a deal. If they never got that deal done, they may have decided to change the direction of the project completely (ie. from a licensed mobile app to an unlicensed console game). This goes back to Joe seeming to express some interest in creating a Madden competitor.
-In the video, Damon demos what happens during the actual game. Granted this was most likely in alpha stage at the release, however there are no visual graphics whatsoever happening on the field. With the pictures of people wearing mocap outfits and the screenshots showing the amount of detail in a player's face, along with Damon showing that he plays NFL 2K5 for inspiration, I just can't see how this can possibly still be a mobile app at this point. But that's all I am able to speculate at this point.

# 10 dcal @ 02/25/15 12:27 PM
There is only one thing that the JM16 camp has to do right now to get the entire sports gaming community buzzing, without even releasing any additional information. If they officially confirm that this game is for any platform, other than mobile, that will build a ton of excitement.

# 11 roadman @ 02/25/15 12:30 PM
I thought Grow said he watched the NFL2k5 video that someone linked him to, I didn't think he admitted to playing it.

Said it was inspiring to watch, I thought?

Eh, maybe I'm wrong.

# 12 ElectricAggie @ 02/25/15 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I thought Grow said he watched the NFL2k5 video that someone linked him to, I didn't think he admitted to playing it.

Eh, maybe I'm wrong.
Here ya go:
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/565300272428494849

# 13 kcsam @ 02/25/15 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Eh, maybe I'm wrong.
No, I believe you're correct. He said that 2K5 was the "inspiration" or something along those lines. He didn't make mention of playing it - just watching the YouTube video someone linked to in a tweet. May have been 2 separate tweets, but I know he mentioned watching a 2K5 video someone linked to him at one point.

# 14 ElectricAggie @ 02/25/15 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
No, I believe you're correct. He said that 2K5 was the "inspiration" or something along those lines. He didn't make mention of playing it - just watching the YouTube video someone linked to in a tweet. May have been 2 separate tweets, but I know he mentioned watching a 2K5 video someone linked to him at one point.
It looks like he is playing it in the tweet I just linked.

# 15 kcsam @ 02/25/15 12:59 PM
He has it up on the screen, but I don't know that he is playing it. Maybe someone else had it up and was looking into something, but I don't know that Damon himself was actually playing. Either way, he makes a point to let us know he understands the importance of 2K5 in your attached tweet - and that's what's important.

# 16 malky @ 02/25/15 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
you had me at Joe Montana and lost me at mobile gaming.
The best comment on this situation.

Wake me when it's confirmed that it's not just a cell phone game.

# 17 sportyguyfl31 @ 02/25/15 03:18 PM
Out of sight, out of mind, until there is official video footage.

Doesnt exist until then, as far as I'm concerned.

# 18 thekingofdallas @ 02/25/15 06:22 PM
I'm gonna chime in real quick. Couple things to note. Joe Montana Football is owned by Sega. The same company that owned NFL 2K. The same company that developed NFL 2K is based in San Francisco. Same place that Damon relocated to make this game. NFL 2K is a name owned by Take Two Interactive. So they may have not wanted to publish another game yet without official names so Damon got Visual Concepts to renew an old idea under a "super secret company name". Also Damon has more than once referenced NFL 2k5 on his twitter account. As recently as 2 hours ago at my time of writing. He posted a picture of him playing it and saying it was his daily devotional. Basically saying that he is devoting his daily work to that game. Meaning this game. This game was never solely confirmed for mobile and has long since been through many changes if you keep up with his account. He has also detailed today that they are in a "sprint" to finish up something for the public. We'll hear very soon what this is exactly. But to say that you aren't sure if this game even exists is just so ignorant. He posts everyday updates on this game and regulary talks about it. he isn't teasing anyone or screwing with anyone. This game has some connection with NFL 2K. Wether just published by the same company, developed with old members, who knows? We'll hear soon. As he himself said. Another thing to note is that Visual Concepts recently made NHL 2K solely for mobile devices. Wouldn't be surprised if this game is solely for mobile. That is something that 2K has shown interest in.

# 19 MajorSupreme @ 02/25/15 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Out of sight, out of mind, until there is official video footage.

Doesnt exist until then, as far as I'm concerned.
You remind me of 18th century folk when it comes to atoms and cells.

# 20 CM Hooe @ 02/25/15 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
You remind me of 18th century folk when it comes to atoms and cells.
Swing and a miss - cells have been known to exist since the mid-1600s and the ancient Greeks posited the concept of an atom even though the atom wasn't observable until centuries later. Nice try, though!

As to the game - I'll be interested if and when this team shows something. I do think a mobile football game done right could be really interesting, to be honest, though again I think its gameplay design would likely have to be radically different from console Madden to really succeed on mobile.

« Previous1234567894647Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.