Home
Feature Article
Making Contraction a Reality in NBA 2K15

Imagine running the break with CP3. As you grab the board and run in transition, Boogie Cousins lifts off to the rim, resulting in a perfectly-timed lob for a thunderous alley-oop as Sleep Train Arena erupts. For this to be reality, the NBA would have to gift Sacramento the All-Star Game. But with NBA 2K15, NBA reality is - as we all know – whatever you want.

As entertaining as this season has been so far, I can't help but wonder how much better it would be if there were less teams. Die-hard NBA fans understand that the mere mention of ‘contraction’ during a league meeting is a non-starter. Neither the players’ union nor team owners would willingly give up revenue like this in the short term. But that’s the beauty of video games. They allow us to turn fantasy into reality. Since my only investment here is entertainment, I can be selfish and wonder “What if?”

For me, the premise was simple. Eliminate six random teams, put all of the players into a pool, and draft. I took the remaining 24 teams based on overall win percentage for the past five years and, along with a few minor adjustments, ranked them in reverse order to create a serpentine-style draft. In the interest of simplicity, I ignored player contracts. Farewell to Atlanta, Orlando, Los Angeles Clippers, Charlotte, Utah and Minnesota. Hello free agency (I see you, CP3).

Try figuring out how each team would draft based on their current outlook and roster structure. Here's how the draft shook out:

The match-up I’ve had the most fun with so far was Portland vs. Memphis. This would be a great game today, but imagine Al Horford lining up next to LaMarcus Aldridge to take on Marc Gasol and Z-Bo, who now have sharpshooter J.J. Reddick coming off of the bench. That’s a seven-game bloodbath waiting to happen.

My personal favorite draft choice was moving Wiggins to my hometown Pistons with the second pick. The thought of Drummond and Wiggins growing together under Stan the Man makes me temporarily forget about the past five years my team has spent in the NBA basement.

As you can imagine, the possibilities are endless. Contract different teams, more teams, less teams, draft for current need only, draft based on the future, etc. The point here is to create an alternate reality where the NBA is even more competitive than it is today, complete with match-ups that feature even more star power.

The NBA will never seriously consider contraction, but don’t let that stop you. Put on your Commissioner hat, pop in NBA 2K15, and create your new NBA. Hey, we all need something to do when the Knicks or Lakers are scheduled for a national television game.

NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Broke Box @ 02/26/15 04:06 PM
Bring back NBA Jam...problem solved!

# 2 PhiPsi1 @ 02/26/15 06:08 PM
Am I missing something? Can you reduce the number of teams in MyLeague or MyGM?

# 3 satchmykels @ 02/26/15 08:30 PM
I've never found any way to reduce the number of teams, would be awesome if this was possible for my historic leagues and euroleague.

# 4 pHiLKizer @ 02/27/15 09:34 AM
I wouldn't have stopped there. I would've nixed Sacramento, Brooklyn, New Orleans, and Memphis too.

# 5 nickthemajin @ 02/27/15 10:42 AM
Yeah I too have never found a way to reduce the number of teams below 30.

# 6 TMalone2010 @ 02/27/15 02:52 PM
It be nice if the NBA did that in real life it would make the product on the court so much better , I'm assuming that would also reduce games which is another thing I think the league would benifit from

# 7 TMalone2010 @ 02/27/15 02:55 PM
I think If that were to happen the NBA would get rid of the bucks before the Jazz

# 8 BA2929 @ 02/27/15 03:20 PM
I do something similar, but instead of contracting teams I just add in all the best historical players into my franchise and get rid of the bad players.

Results in nearly every team having at least two 90+ players or a superstud young player who will progress. Makes games super fun, especially for a guy like me who grew up on the NBA in the late 80s and the 90s.

# 9 The Yurpman @ 02/28/15 11:32 AM
I have to admit I don't see the point in this exercise. You can take any sport and do the exact same thing.

# 10 D.J.Jackson @ 03/15/15 11:47 PM
No not willy

# 11 dwayne12345 @ 03/16/15 07:42 AM
@pHiLKizer - Well the NBA would no longer exist in the southern U.S. if you took out all those teams. N.O. and Memphis are the only teams on the Mississippi. With Atlanta, Charlotte, and Orlando the only team left in the entire southern U.S. east of the Mississippi would be Miami.

Why would the op choose to remove the south from the NBA?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.