Home
Feature Article
FIFA 15: Let's Get Physical

Beyond the first day of coverage where I talked a lot about scoring chances, most of the rest of what's been talked about in one way or another touched on the role physicality plays in FIFA 15. It's something that leads to gameplay moments that are funny, terrible, amazing, perfect, awkward and everything in between.

For better or worse, physicality is what defines FIFA 15. Whether that's the intention or not, I'm not sure, but it's what I experience more than anything else when playing the game.

So after the jump, I'll let the GIFs do most of the talking as I show off a couple more ways physicality plays in to the FIFA 15 experience.

Spikes Up!

It's so beautiful!

This is just perfect timing mixed with hilarious physics, and it shows that slide tackles can lead to hilarious moments in the game. However, slide tackles overall actually feel relatively balanced. Ball carriers can be surprised by the amount of distance a slide tackle can cover, but a slide tackle still has the obvious risk of leaving your defender completely out of position. Perhaps red cards could be shown a little more often, and slide tackles from behind still work more than they should, but overall this is a part of the game where animation and gameplay outcomes come together far better than most of the other player-on-player interactions.

To me, this is about as perfect as it gets from a results and animation standpoint. The defender comes in at the right angle, times the challenge right, wins the challenge, and both players look natural as they tumble to the ground.

(As a quick aside before moving on, it also feels like the slide tackles that occur in closer proximity to the ball carrier lead to more nice looking moments that mirror the GIF above.)

Ram 'Em!

I've touched on this subject a bit when discussing the jostling mechanic, but I do believe the best way to play defense in this year's game is simply ram into people from behind. A lot of the time I feel helpless trying to contain and stay in front of a speedy attacking player, so instead I try to counter that by having another player (usually a midfielder) fly up from behind and make the tackle.

In a perfect world, you don't get away with just ramming into people, but it's hard to blame users for going to this a lot when it's not called a foul and does lead to a lot of the best defensive results. With a more restrictive or punitive stamina system in place, it maybe would force users to pick and choose when to hold turbo for long stretches, but for now this method is very effective.

Shields Up!

I think the GIF above is a great example of the shield mechanic working like it should. When you press and hold L2 (on PS4) or LT (on Xbox One), you should be able to ward off defenders, especially the bigger and more physical players. In this state, you're not going anywhere, and it should be the best way to hold on to the ball in the game.

That being said, a lot of the time defenders are still able to get away with ramming into the backs of players shielding the ball. But again, this just fits in with the narrative of physicality in this year's game. And, if anything, I give the development team credit for being consistent across the board -- minus in the penalty area where suddenly refs call all the grabs.

Wrapping Up

Well, this brings us to the end of my self-proclaimed FIFA marathon here on Operation Sports. I hope you guys have enjoyed the articles, and I'm sure I'll be writing about FIFA more in the future.

In the meantime, I'll leave by asking one final question: If there was one part of FIFA's gameplay you could change heading into next year, what would it be?

...Okay fineeeee, and here's one final GIF that just has to be shared with the world:

Follow Chase Becotte on Twitter, ya know, if you're into that sort of thing.

FIFA 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 speedtrucker @ 03/02/15 12:19 PM
you are on fire with the Jostling, standing tackles and then this...

I mentioned in the Jostling about grabbing being silly with the physics that usually result in a dive/pk awarded inside the box.

sliding tackles tend to be 20% calls...
20% that the just completely miss because someone is flying around the pitch.
20% that they are timed perfecly and result in a great looking play.
20% that they are terrible attempts yet stil result in the attack being unable to avoid it and hilarity ensues although usually extreme frustration in that it shouldn't have happened like that in real life.
20% that they draw a foul call
20% that they draw a foul but somehow don't earn a yellow or red despite being studs up or a tackle from behind through the attackers legs... or Y+LB through ballers who spring toward the keeper and slide into his legs but only earn a yellow when in reality that should be a straight red.

I'm a slow and steady CAM who works the mid for our pro-club, I have a 5'11", 198lb CAM that I use LT with to shield the ball constantly and I often draw fouls with no cards when in reality should be yellow because a defender will sprint 20 yards at top speed and slide in tipping the ball slightly but his boot crashes through my ankle, shin and knee but it is just a spot kick.

you basically have to get the 1 or 2 refs that actually call a match tight and you then have to have a tackle from behind on an attacker that is through on goal for a straight red to be called in FIFA 15. it rewards violence from top speed wreckless challenges without punishing the "sprinters" (yet again).

as I've said before, "sprinters" are never punished in this game outside of the rare instance where they might pull a muscle in the 80th minute and then be back to sprinting at top speed a minute later. but at least in dead ball situations their character is holding his hammy like that actually does anything.

the biggest change that would/could right a lot of these issues would be to severely punish "sprinters". fatigue, injury, more difficulty pulling off skill moves or even getting shots to remain accurate. if baseball games can make pitching more difficult when fatigue sets in, Madden can find a way to make fumbles, drops, injuries to become an issue when a player is dark orange and red, NBA can make hands less solid, fouls more prevalent then FIFA can find a way to make fatigue punish "sprinters" more especially when they go into tackles wreckless as all get out. start handing out the yellows and reds.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.