Home
Feature Article
Freestyle2: Street Basketball Impressions

The PC exclusive Freestyle2: Street Basketball classifies itself as an MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online), and it captures that feeling pretty well. It utilizes the "free-to-play" model, which serves it well since its simplistic gameplay and art style are sure to turn some people away from the get go.

The game works through your individual character, as you are charged with leveling up and progressing so you can better compete with the rest of the players of the game around you. After a quick tutorial, you are well on your way to getting your career started.

The game's hub is really crowded, full with options to become a "VIP" or to boost stats and unlock cards through a paid currency called "GCash". It isn't exactly intrusive, at least not until you realize that practically everything can be made easier if you're willing to throw some money in. Also on the screen is a steady stream of commentary from other online players, which, unfortunately, is rarely about the game and more about talking trash unrelated to the game at all.

There are a few different modes that all rely on the same basic premise: a three on three game of halfcourt basketball. Two are fairly well developed, including a "one on one" mode where you pair up with a couple of CPU teammates to take on another player and two CPU teammates. Not that the CPU is terrible or anything, but this mode frequently lives up to its one on one tag. The other mode is a traditional three versus three where cooperation is not only advised, but essential. This game mode requires a good amount of teamwork, especially once you get to higher levels of play. That in itself makes the game relatively fun, if you can find the right match-ups.

The gameplay is surprisingly enjoyable, even without some of the more complicated skills added to your character. Even though the controls are extremely clunky at first (you never use the mouse to move, just the arrow keys) it feels pretty rewarding once they have been mastered. Defense all comes down to steals and blocks. Standing in front of your opposition is mandatory, unless you want to give them some easy points.

If you're paired up with a team that knows what it's doing in any capacity, points are going to rack up in a hurry. Open shots are drilled with consistency and open layups and dunks rarely, if ever, miss. New skills come through in a variety of slightly slowed down moves, mostly in the form of layups or dunks. There are enough of them that the animations don't get stale too quickly, but after enough grinding on the court, you're going to see the same moves start to pop up pretty frequently.

There is a steady stream of available games so you never have to wait very long to find your next match. Frequently, however, the games are unbalanced. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who you're going to be matched up against, despite there being a few "channels" to pick from based on your level, ranging from Rookie to Star. Given how long it would take up to level up to level 40, which is the necessary requirement for the Star channel, it's unlikely that even the best players will make their way that high without paying to get there.

All in all, Freestyle isn't going to be the kind of game you'll want to pick up if your dedicated to simulation basketball. Instead, it's a relatively fun game to role-play in as a street basketball player, as there are literally hundreds of way to customize your character. The game itself relies on the basic principle of risk versus reward, which can be a lot of fun if you ever master the frustrating controls.

It is a better game when playing with friends, but it's a shame that there's no competitive matchmaking for groups that join games together. The game also promises to introduce a tournament mode later on, so that could add another interesting dynamic to the game.

Verdict

For those looking for a decent basketball simulation on PC, Freestyle2: Street Basketball is not going to be what you're looking for. Though, for those of you who long for the days of casual basketball titles like NBA Street, there should be something here for you to enjoy.

Freestyle2: Street Basketball is available to download on Steam, for free.

Member Comments
# 1 Bull_Dozer @ 04/25/15 12:19 PM
I love the concept of sports MMO's. Man, I'd kill for a football (american) MMO. That said, I couldn't really get hooked on Freestyle. The controls felt slippery and it wasn't "sim" enough for me.

# 2 BenGerman @ 04/25/15 12:46 PM
I think that's how it will be for most, Bull. It almost feels like a basketball game designed for people who don't actually like basketball haha. It's fun, but frustrating if you know the sport well.

# 3 ajs41072 @ 04/26/15 09:16 PM
I remember playing the original when it was a downloadable game, I think from it's own website. On that one, I was able to use a controller and map it so that it was like console controls, and it was much easier to control than using the keyboard. I couldn't figure out how to do that with this version, but I only tried once.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.