Home
Feature Article
NHL 15: The Legacy of the Failed to Launch Title

While we wrote extensively about NHL 15 (Xbox One, PS4) before, during and after launch, it's meaningful to look back at where the game stands in the series, especially in the context of other peers in the genre. As disappointing as the game was for those who were wanting a complete next-gen hockey experience, it managed to soldier on, selling relatively well and maintaining some level of community through several patches. None of those things fixed the overall incomplete nature of that product, but it started the baby steps towards a better future for the series.

My review of NHL 15 described the "cognitive dissonance" I had with the game. I generally enjoyed the on-ice product, with some caveats — and the new presentation showed some flash, especially in the crowds — but the lack of meaningful ways to play with friends (no EASHL or GM Connected) and major omissions within existing modes (Be-A-GM, Be-A-Pro) left a lot to be desired. As a fan of what the NHL series has done before, I felt that NHL 15 wasn't a fair product to release to the public, especially when it was so obviously constricted by new console tech issues and a rigid development schedule.

But clearly the game still resonated with a decent amount of the fanbase, as there is a vocal community of people who are still supporting the product, regardless of the available features. The realities of development clearly didn't matter to some people as long as the on-ice product worked for them. What a truly curious year for the series. It was a product that seemed like it would benefit so much from new technology, but then that kind of became a side story to the gameplay vs. features debate.

Critical Response

With a Metacritic rating of 59 on Xbox One and 60 on PS4, it was clearly a down year for the NHL franchise. The funny thing about rating scales though is that this kind of score doesn't mean the game was bad. I even reiterated in subsequent pieces about NHL 15 that I felt the game did some good things, and it still counts as "average" on our scale. It's a setback from what we're used to, most definitely, but it doesn’t mean the game is devoid of value for anyone. Personally speaking, I still play the game, but the lack of ways to play and missing features have drastically altered who I can play with and how I can play. About six people I know who would normally buy the game didn't do so this year, and that affects how I interact with the product.

It was intriguing seeing a range of sites and mags come to similar conclusions about the game, as many critics from all different strata of sports knowledge had similar sentiments towards NHL 15.

Giant Bomb had this to say:

Quote:
"Whatever steps forward NHL 15 has taken in visual presentation hardly make up for the alarming gutting of many of the series' best features."

Polygon also felt the product was light on features:

Quote:
"Taken on its own merits, NHL 15 feels incomplete. In light of the NHL franchise's stellar history, NHL 15 is a colossal disappointment, and a major misstep for the series' first outing on a new generation of consoles."

Rich Grisham, host of the Press Row Podcast and the person who reviewed the game for GamesRadar, had this concise summation:

Quote:
"There are moments when NHL 15 is simply brilliant. The electricity of a raucous crowd reaction to an overtime, game-winning goal screams “next gen!” The agony--and instant stick slam to the ice--of a defenseman that accidentally tips the puck into their own net is palpable. The back-and-forth speed and intensity of a tight online match against a friend is unmatched by any other sports game. Yet these moments are fleeting. Despite a core experience that’s undeniably strong, NHL 15 is--in many ways--a major step back in modern sports gaming."

Even though the tone of their review was similar to many others, EGM chose to look at the glass as half full:

Quote:
"After playing limited demos of NHL 15 leading up to its release, I could not be more disappointed with the final result. It feels like so much time and focus went into getting the graphics and physics systems up to snuff for new-gen that EA Canada forgot about the rest of the game. At the very least, there’s hope, though. Now that the transition’s been made—however painfully—next year’s title can bring NHL back to its former glory."

Clearly a lot of other reviewers felt the same disappointment that I did. And if it's frustrating for the fans, critics and consumers of NHL 15, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the development team. They clearly want to make a good hockey product, especially since they are the only one out there, and they're going to need to channel some of that energy into subsequent games.

Sales

While VGChartz is hardly a complete picture of sales for a game, it gives us a rough estimate of how NHL 15 did. Across the four platforms, it sold approximately 1.25 million units, with about 750k in unit sales happening on Xbox One and PS4. This is obviously just an estimate, as it doesn't take into account bundles and digital sales. That being said, we can probably assume that the game plateaued at about 1.5 million sales overall, with maybe around one million sales on next-gen platforms. Adding to this, the game has been recently added to Xbox One's EA Access service, where subscribers can download the full game for free from "The Vault."

Then again, game sales don't account for the whole story, as HUT downloads supply a steady stream of revenue for EA. It's hard to truly know how much the NHL series makes on this sort of thing, but this quote (via IGN) from EA should give you an idea: "Digital growth, particularly around its Ultimate Team services, continues to see monumental success for EA. 'By emphasizing player engagement and our digital live services, we’ve grown revenue, expanded gross margins and delivered EPS well above prior year and our guidance," said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen.'"

While sales below one million on new consoles were probably a direct result of the critical and fan response to the game, the overall sales and HUT revenue likely made the game a push in terms of financial impact. Who knows if this is something that EA planned for in the console transition, but it's clearly a scenario that would be untenable for the franchise going forward.

Patches

For EA's part, they've updated NHL 15 a couple of times with some content updates as well as with a few roster and tuner updates. A lot of these updates added "new" features and some returning elements from previous years, and some of them just tweaked gameplay sliders to rejig the gameplay for offline and online play.

The first major content update provided some features that probably should've been there at the outset, including 3 Stars, coach feedback in Be-A-Pro, playoff mode and some HUT usability improvements. This update was released in September.

The second major content update added a revised NHL Entry Draft for the Be-A-GM mode, where the user could call timeouts during their three-minute decision to pick a player. Trades could be proposed during this time. The update also brought about the return of Online Team Play. OTP in NHL 15 only supports ten players, so no goalies, and it doesn't allow for matching up with friends (easily). This update was released in October.

Roster updates have occurred at basically a monthly pace for NHL 15, but player ratings have been a bit of different beast. As OS's Jayson Young has outlined, the roster/ratings situation has been pretty spotty from day 1 of release, and that's a tough pill to swallow in the current next-gen sports reality, with lots of games reflecting current conditions, attributes, injuries and statistics.

Community

The NHL 15 community seems relatively active still, especially when compared against a more focused product like EA Sports UFC. Users are continuing to interact with the HUT marketplace and leaderboards, as well as on the EA Sports forums. Activity on the EA forums is always bubbling on a daily basis, and even our own OS forums have plenty of feedback and speculative topics regarding the series.

Online team play has also given the game a shot in the arm, as the mode allows for at least some approximation of the multiplayer hijinks that were available back in NHL 14. On Xbox One, I've always been able to find a reasonable selection of OTP matches, and the same goes for standard one-on-one play, as there are usually several thousand players in the online ecosystem at any given time.

With the absence of EASHL and GM Connected, I've also found less of my time with versus play and OTP hampered by spam moves and frustrating tactics. People clearly still want to win, but I've noticed less erratic behavior in the community as compared to other years. Then again, other users may be experiencing something different.

Looking Ahead

One has to think that things can only get better for the NHL series, especially considering all of the lessons learned and feedback that's been given on NHL 15. Hockey fans want to have a product that they can get behind, and it's going to require a more fulsome effort than what was delivered last September.

The fear is that this kind of regression will become a common thing when a developer changes their technology or learns on a new console. My hope for the NHL dev team is that this is something they'll be mindful of as they develop future iterations of the game.

What will NHL 15's legacy be? I certainly think that's changed slightly as EA has updated it with a few extra features. Still, the critical response and sales of the game, while not completely damning, probably sent a clear enough message to EA that the path NHL 15 walked was not an ideal one.

NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Retropyro @ 05/07/15 02:50 PM
I love the gameplay. But the game is just too barebones in modes and content. I mean who thought it was a great idea to not allow skip ahead in Be a Pro?

# 2 canucksss @ 05/07/15 02:53 PM
Great write up!

Hopefully EA gets it. They need to improve this game and not just add the missing modes but all the glaring issues from gameplay, player/team differentiation, depth of BaGM/BaP (or whatever EA calls it), etc.

# 3 murph17 @ 05/07/15 04:02 PM
I really enjoy the gameplay, it's a shame about all the missing modes. NHL 16 isn't going to be perfect, but it's going to be a lot of fun. They are going to build on the core gameplay and bring back most of the missing modes. They have a huge opportunity with EASHL if they can do some truly next-gen stuff, and don't just port over the old EASHL as-is. Improve the team management, stats and integrate Twitch. Make it awesome and most of the haters will (begrudgingly) come back.

re: rosters
NBA Live 15 got one today. Even that game gets better support

# 4 KennyJ1976 @ 05/07/15 04:20 PM
Speaking of rosters, is anyone besides me still having a problem saving the updated rosters? I haven't been able to save the last two updates.

# 5 Rufio2031 @ 05/07/15 06:51 PM
I have the opposite opinion of most. I don't really care a whole lot about many of the missing features as I primarily play the GM mode. The gameplay however was one of the worst sim sporting experiences I've had and my multiple 2nd chances on the game re-iterate the same feeling over and over again. In a series where I typically fly through 2 seasons, I've totaled about 12 games under my belt for NHL 15 and was thoroughly displeased with every single game.

This game needs a serious AI and control overhaul. The series continues to make great aesthetic progress while gameplay quality continues to deteriorate yearly.

And seriously...implement better slider options so I can turn checking power to -148. Or...try watching a hockey game just once.

This is just MY opinion.

# 6 loldillon @ 05/07/15 07:29 PM
The thing that bothers me the most is this whole "secrecy" crap. It took them about 1-2 weeks before release saying there was gonna be all these missing features. Why not mention it about a month before. They obviously knew none of the epic stuff would be included. EA NHL has been awful at interacting with the casual/diehard fans of the franchise. Meanwhile EA UFC has been doing the complete opposite.

The EA forums are a joke though, I don't even bother going over there. You ask one simple question and it's either taken over by trolls, and or locked. Same with reddit. If it has nothing to do with HUT you're frowned upon and bashed to shreds.

I just really hope NHL '16 is done right (adding EASHL) since it's the only game mode I care for. Also I didn't mind shootout mode either. All I ask for is the return of the "Zetterberg" deke and EASHL. ;]

# 7 gjb09003 @ 05/07/15 08:19 PM
face scans....is it really that difficult?

# 8 snc237 @ 05/08/15 12:15 AM
I like NHL 15 for what it is. In saying that I want so much more. Can't wait for eashl to come back however hopefully that mode has major attention to it cause if it's "this is year one of three approach to eashl" I'm going to be disappointed. It took them 5 years until eashl was really really solid on last gen and hopefully we don't have to wait that long again.

# 9 milesizdead @ 05/08/15 01:39 AM
Worst NHL launch ever.
- Bad choices in "marketing" the game
- Missing game modes
- Arcade gameplay, everything is heavily assisted
- Lack of support through patches/roster updates etc
- Broken promises about transparency and forum activity from devs

# 10 ericromain @ 05/08/15 01:43 AM
Shame on EA for not giving NHL the necessary head count to release a game in a year.
They stripped out a lot of game modes.
It drives me nuts that 1v1 online doesn't have user controlled goalie shootouts, and NHL14's awesome highlight system is gone, you can't give me a replay of every goal one year and take that away.

Still I am able to take NHL15 with a grain of salt. They clearly made the priority to maintain gameplay, and improve. I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to NHL16, it'll mostly be reinstating the missing, but here's to hoping they're motivated and bring a lot of innovation and exciting fresh newness.

# 11 AdamJones113 @ 05/08/15 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb09003
face scans....is it really that difficult?
Yes, yes it is actually. Takes around 18 developers, if I remember right, and the devs have more important things to focus on.

# 12 Arrowhead21 @ 05/08/15 04:19 PM
I'm willing to sacrifice aesthetic things such as face scans if it means I will get to play a game that actually feels like hockey. it would also be nice to have the Action Tracker back.

# 13 Penaltybox4ever @ 05/09/15 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
I'm willing to sacrifice aesthetic things such as face scans if it means I will get to play a game that actually feels like hockey. it would also be nice to have the Action Tracker back.
Yeah, even if you dress up the pig its still a pig and NHL15 was a filthy pig...
No as you said put manpower on modes and gameplay.
I used to play previous games 3-4 days a week, now I do 1-2 games monthly, play now couch versus...
Well Im not falling for same pig, used to preorder NHL games but never more, not worth it to buy full price for a game I hardly play and selling it doesnt refund enough for the trouble.
I will read alot of comments and reviews before EA get any of my money...

# 14 Cletus @ 05/09/15 09:07 AM
I'm hoping that NHL 16 gets docked points for being too hard. How nice would it be for some metacritic guy complain about having to dump the puck in because of neutral zone pressure?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

# 15 actionhank @ 05/12/15 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Yes, yes it is actually. Takes around 18 developers, if I remember right, and the devs have more important things to focus on.
My frustration with rosters and player models has always been that EA for whatever reason (Understaffed, too many other more important focuses, all valid reasons) has never been good at all. They miss handedness, player hair, size, skills, and player moves all of the time. They're also bound to the rules that they are handed by the NHL when they sign the contract as to when players can be added (Due to the NHLPA and having to play a certain number of minutes or games, if i remember right).

This could all be easily alleviated if they just added an in-depth roster editing and player creation system. Sure, it would take time, but considering how long they've been using the same system for current player creation (I believe the Player Editor in 14 was for all intents and purposes, the exact same as 09, maybe even earlier than that, with small things added. Even the face models were largely unchanged), EA could create a new system, find a way to either allow offline file sharing through rosters that could be shared, downloaded, and installed via flash drive (no need on their end to monitor a server, track uploads, and host files), or if they really wanted to go the extra mile they could add the online side of it, and host servers to share sliders, rosters, and created players.

The Show (yet again) is a great example. Guys have throwback teams, improved rosters, improved attributes (Something the Revamped team used to be able to do, but that was taken away for whatever reason). The Show allows near total customization, but more importantly, they made it easy to share those things with others, whereas EA seems to handcuff you.

I've gone on and on before about how awesome it would be if they allowed us to share/edit rosters, and give us a better create a player interface with more options, but they could even take advantage of the powers of the new system and find a way to give access to things like importing image files for things like jerseys and face scans. Guys have been doing it in NHL04 on the PC forever, and that game still gets played by people. Doing the same for NHL would mean people could create their own jerseys, better team customization with custom jerseys for that, and then better face scans without EA having to lift a finger past launch.

EA just needs to take the reigns off of the users, because OS alone has a talented user base that's more than capable and willing to do the leg work to improve visuals and rosters, not to mention tweak sliders and attributes to get a more perfect game.

# 16 nddurst @ 05/12/15 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
My frustration with rosters and player models has always been that EA for whatever reason (Understaffed, too many other more important focuses, all valid reasons) has never been good at all. They miss handedness, player hair, size, skills, and player moves all of the time. They're also bound to the rules that they are handed by the NHL when they sign the contract as to when players can be added (Due to the NHLPA and having to play a certain number of minutes or games, if i remember right).

This could all be easily alleviated if they just added an in-depth roster editing and player creation system. Sure, it would take time, but considering how long they've been using the same system for current player creation (I believe the Player Editor in 14 was for all intents and purposes, the exact same as 09, maybe even earlier than that, with small things added. Even the face models were largely unchanged), EA could create a new system, find a way to either allow offline file sharing through rosters that could be shared, downloaded, and installed via flash drive (no need on their end to monitor a server, track uploads, and host files), or if they really wanted to go the extra mile they could add the online side of it, and host servers to share sliders, rosters, and created players.

The Show (yet again) is a great example. Guys have throwback teams, improved rosters, improved attributes (Something the Revamped team used to be able to do, but that was taken away for whatever reason). The Show allows near total customization, but more importantly, they made it easy to share those things with others, whereas EA seems to handcuff you.

I've gone on and on before about how awesome it would be if they allowed us to share/edit rosters, and give us a better create a player interface with more options, but they could even take advantage of the powers of the new system and find a way to give access to things like importing image files for things like jerseys and face scans. Guys have been doing it in NHL04 on the PC forever, and that game still gets played by people. Doing the same for NHL would mean people could create their own jerseys, better team customization with custom jerseys for that, and then better face scans without EA having to lift a finger past launch.

EA just needs to take the reigns off of the users, because OS alone has a talented user base that's more than capable and willing to do the leg work to improve visuals and rosters, not to mention tweak sliders and attributes to get a more perfect game.
Great points.

The fact is EA doesn't have to make a perfect game. Just improve some of the fundamental engines driving gameplay, give us sliders that actually work, and allow us to fully edit players. It would make the game 100% better.

# 17 actionhank @ 05/12/15 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nddurst
Great points.

The fact is EA doesn't have to make a perfect game. Just improve some of the fundamental engines driving gameplay, give us sliders that actually work, and allow us to fully edit players. It would make the game 100% better.
Exactly. I think the more games borrow from sandbox styled games, the better. Let the people have their NHL player likenesses, give them the arenas and the physics and AI to simulate hockey, then let them tailor the rest to suit themselves.

Sliders that properly work would be another huge addition. If i want an arcade experience with 100mph wristers and diving goalies, let me adjust that. But if i prefer to create plays, and get rewarded for playing realistic hockey, i should be able to. The AI behavior would be another thing that would be a huge plus. Being able to set 'behaviors' for players in create-a-play, and then make routes around the offensive zone/breakout would be huge. If I've got a guy like Backes, let me create a play and not try to force him in front of the net, but set him to 'Screen' and then watch the AI strategically place Backes in the highlighted area i 'draw' on the ice, and then have the AI try to keep him between the goalie and the puck. Then, this behavior set would allow him to try to deflect the puck, dodge out of the way, and turn on a shot to try for the rebound. Similarly, you could set a players like Ovechkin or Stamkos to a 'One-Timer' behavior set, then 'draw' the area you want them to perform this behavior in. They will move in the determined area to stay open in regards to where the puck sits, trying to avoid passing lines, and scoot up and down the circles as the puck moves behind the net, or out to the walls. Then they would break and chase down loose pucks, only when it appeared to be heading to the corner near them, or along the boards.

Just small additions like that (obviously small in terms of the idea, I'm sure it's a mountain of coding and testing) would make a huge difference from the current AI that either gets hit with point shots and blocks them, or stands still until they wander into a poor position for the play. Cross-ice passes were never really useful to me on the PP. Even if i managed to find the guy in the circle, the goalies moved too quickly post-to-post to be an effective strategy, but some simple AI changes, and gameplay additions could make it a huge tool. AI players being useful would be huge. I can't count the number of times I had AI d-men skating up ice with me on a 2 on 1, only to have them stop just past the blue line to wait in their determined spot, or the number of times I just had 2 forwards on a powerplay crosschecking back and forth with defenders while the guy with the puck moves around in the corner with no one to pass to.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.