Home
Feature Article
Madden 16: Connected Franchise Thoughts and Concerns

With summer heating up and the basketball and hockey seasons winding to a close, that can mean only one thing: Madden is right around the corner (it used to mean NCAA Football was close as well *sniffles*). A bunch of franchise information has trickled out recently, which gives fans of the series some news to feast on as the release date draws closer.

Jumping Right In

To start, the Madden team has made an effort to make it easier to jump right into Connected Franchise. Experienced players may have enjoyed the required initial tweaking in past versions, but for the less committed Madden fan, now being able to jump right in and start the regular season should attract some more users who would otherwise skip the mode. The cleaner home screen and UI should also help in this regard.

Guts of the Game

The addition of dynamic drive goals will be something to watch. It appears that EA is going to try and trigger these based on in-game performances. So, for example, after an interception your goal will be to march down the field and score. Tying this to performance rewards does make sense, but let's hope that the on-the-field game does not suffer by assigning goals that mess up the flow of gameplay. For example, I would hate to be tasked with getting two running touchdowns when my game plan is pass-heavy. You can obviously ignore the goals and play your way, but then that defeats the point of the goals in the first place. As long as common sense prevails here, it should be a solid addition.

Making your progress easier to track is also a welcomed addition. The end of each game, and play for that matter, will provide detailed feedback on what goals were accomplished and how much of an XP/Confidence boost you and your players received.

Confidence has also seen some tweaks. EA has promised that the penalty for a bad play will not be as severe, and teams with low confidence will be able to schedule a game prep to help boost spirits. The downside is that this addition is non-interactive and will cost hours, so there is potential for frustration with a lack of confidence -- particularly if you start slacking on your weekly goals.

Managing Your Team

Scouting for the draft sounds like a toss-up. The premise sounds easy enough: spend points to unlock the player's top three attributes, with the third unlock revealing in what round the player projects to be drafted. However, that perhaps sounds a bit too easy and simplified. Involving the Combine results will offer some resemblance of total control, but limiting the information to the top three attributes in order to unlock draft stock sounds arbitrary. It may play better in person, but it has the potential to feel a bit too closed in an otherwise open virtual world.

The new-and-improved depth chart is a big addition. Users will be able to drag-and-drop to re-order, and the player cards themselves will have more options, which should offer a more streamlined experience. The ratings for each player will be specific to their position, so it will be nice not having to scroll past a bunch of ratings that are irrelevant to your breakout wide receiver.

The omission of any free agency tweaks is a big downer. This is a big part of the mode and it could use some more fine tuning to make the off-season even more enjoyable. And, of course, the lack of almost any updates as it relates to gameplay is a bit concerning at this point. The Madden team has tried to step it up in this area the past few years, but there is still more work to be done so let's hope we see this information sooner rather than later.

Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 oneamongthefence @ 06/09/15 02:03 PM
Hey jp besides speed regression problems, how was qb accuracy regression? This might have been a bug too since throw power never dropped but it was annoying when Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, etc all had accuracy in the 60's when they retired.

# 22 jpdavis82 @ 06/09/15 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Hey jp besides speed regression problems, how was qb accuracy regression? This might have been a bug too since throw power never dropped but it was annoying when Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, etc all had accuracy in the 60's when they retired.
Not really sure but I believe regression was tuned across the board.

# 23 Step2001 @ 06/10/15 12:55 AM
JP, is everything "Connected" in CFM?

Will Pre-Season, Reg Season, Post Season, Super Bowl have their own specific Audio Presentation?

Has Pre-Game & Halftime presentation been improved visual & audio?

Will Injuries be discussed during Pre-Game, Halftime of Games?

Will injuries be evaluated after the game and diagnosis be given then, instead of during game?

Will Injuries carryover into the following season?

Did they add the PUP list for those players who are still recovering from injuries?

Have injuries been worked on, adding pulls, strains, re-aggravating injuries during Pre-Game Warm-ups, etc. etc.?

8 man Practice Squad?

46 man Game Day Roster?

Was Twitter feed expanded? Adding comments to any re-signings, signings, release/cuts, trades, retirements, etc. etc. Example: in my Madden '15 CFM Romo retired, but nothing was said, why, because he had a OVR rating of a 65? That's not right.

Will previous years stats pop-up when players shown during 1st Pre-Season game & First Reg Season Game?

Will a team be mentioned as the Defending Super Bowl Champs in Audio?

Will I get a trophy case? Will I get a new banner hanging in my stadium for Post Season accomplishments?

Will the players from the Madden Created Draft classes be discussed more, I guess more noteworthy as the new stars of the league? Those Draft Stories end after the Draft.......they need to keep going.
Audio needs to point out teams drafted players and how they're cornerstone players for that teams future.

During post season, will player's post season stats pop-up? (most notably QB post season record)

Will Coaches have Super Bowl record appear on their pop-up?

Has New Draft Presentation been added? Will we see the Commish at the podium announce the selection or trade, then announce that team selection. Then player (if attending the draft) walk out and pose with the Commish holding up a team Jersey.

Owner's mode: Selling Player's jersey's, popular players, has this been tweaked? I've drafted 5th rd. WR's with high popularity that did nothing, but their jersey's sold. Fine for a year, but with little to hardly any P.T. the sales and popularity should fall off.....

A tighter salary cap w/players asking for BIG Dollar contracts w/huge signing bonus, early in FA?

All players have different ceilings as far as how high their OVR can go, correct, Curious? I tend to ignore the OVR and go with how the player plays in my system and what I'm trying to do on Offense & Defense.

# 24 Aggies7 @ 06/10/15 01:27 AM
Step, Not speaking for JP, but I'm sure that will be covered later on in Presentation and he probably can't answer those yet.

Great questions though, as I'm wondering a lot of the same

# 25 Step2001 @ 06/10/15 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
Step, Not speaking for JP, but I'm sure that will be covered later on in Presentation and he probably can't answer those yet.

Great questions though, as I'm wondering a lot of the same

Yeah, but it doesn't hurt to ask. E3, will that be the info dump by EA on Madden 16, or will we have to wait as this drags on through August?

# 26 Aggies7 @ 06/10/15 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2001
Yeah, but it doesn't hurt to ask. E3, will that be the info dump by EA on Madden 16, or will we have to wait as this drags on through August?

That's another good question. I have no clue what EA plans to reveal at E3. JP might know so you'll have to wait on him.

# 27 jpdavis82 @ 06/10/15 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
That's another good question. I have no clue what EA plans to reveal at E3. JP might know so you'll have to wait on him.
I believe most info will be released by E3, some of these questions will be answered once people start releasing E3 gameplay from the show floor. One thing to keep in mind, presentation is usually the last thing added into the game, so everything won't necessarily be in or as polished at E3.

# 28 patriot1136 @ 06/10/15 04:48 PM
I would love to have a practice squad

# 29 jpdavis82 @ 06/10/15 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2001
JP, is everything "Connected" in CFM?

Will Pre-Season, Reg Season, Post Season, Super Bowl have their own specific Audio Presentation?

Has Pre-Game & Halftime presentation been improved visual & audio?

Will Injuries be discussed during Pre-Game, Halftime of Games?

Will injuries be evaluated after the game and diagnosis be given then, instead of during game?

Will Injuries carryover into the following season?

Did they add the PUP list for those players who are still recovering from injuries?

Have injuries been worked on, adding pulls, strains, re-aggravating injuries during Pre-Game Warm-ups, etc. etc.?

8 man Practice Squad?

46 man Game Day Roster?

Was Twitter feed expanded? Adding comments to any re-signings, signings, release/cuts, trades, retirements, etc. etc. Example: in my Madden '15 CFM Romo retired, but nothing was said, why, because he had a OVR rating of a 65? That's not right.

Will previous years stats pop-up when players shown during 1st Pre-Season game & First Reg Season Game?

Will a team be mentioned as the Defending Super Bowl Champs in Audio?

Will I get a trophy case? Will I get a new banner hanging in my stadium for Post Season accomplishments?

Will the players from the Madden Created Draft classes be discussed more, I guess more noteworthy as the new stars of the league? Those Draft Stories end after the Draft.......they need to keep going.
Audio needs to point out teams drafted players and how they're cornerstone players for that teams future.

During post season, will player's post season stats pop-up? (most notably QB post season record)

Will Coaches have Super Bowl record appear on their pop-up?

Has New Draft Presentation been added? Will we see the Commish at the podium announce the selection or trade, then announce that team selection. Then player (if attending the draft) walk out and pose with the Commish holding up a team Jersey.

Owner's mode: Selling Player's jersey's, popular players, has this been tweaked? I've drafted 5th rd. WR's with high popularity that did nothing, but their jersey's sold. Fine for a year, but with little to hardly any P.T. the sales and popularity should fall off.....

A tighter salary cap w/players asking for BIG Dollar contracts w/huge signing bonus, early in FA?

All players have different ceilings as far as how high their OVR can go, correct, Curious? I tend to ignore the OVR and go with how the player plays in my system and what I'm trying to do on Offense & Defense.
YES TO ALL, lol just kidding, when I can give the answers to these questions I definitely will, until then sorry guys, stay positive.

# 30 dkp23 @ 06/11/15 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Lots of work on the confidence system was done, speed is VERY hard to progress now.

FYI the major regression in speed was a bug, was never intended to regress as much as it was once players hit 30. Like I said in other posts, players were regressing about 1-2 pts in speed after 30 when we played.

there are some things that should not be progressed and speed is one of them, another is arm strength. Perhap syou can upgrade maybe 1 or 2 points, but to be able to save up all your points and not use any of it except on speed and get a player from an 88 to 95 in a few years is not realistic.

EA needs to realize that.

THe whole bug thing about reduced speed, yes i've heard that and they couldn't put out a patch for that? With all this talk about tuning every year and how they cane make adjustments to the game quickly, i never see them do it.

# 31 dkp23 @ 06/11/15 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I think I know what you guys are talking about and I believe it was addressed.
The finance problem was addressed? there was only a small blurb that said small market teams will get more money or something like that.

A lot of issues is how the owner mode was programmed. Like if a team sucks, they sell 50% capacity every single week, the raiders suck every year and sell over 80% when they sat 63k people and sell out every game since they are at like 55k capacity now.

Also, does this mean EA allows oakland raiders to sell hot dogs? ****.

THen you have the revenue and the expenses and that is a long story.

# 32 The Kid 24 @ 06/11/15 12:21 PM
Hopefully someone can answer this for me... In 15 with controlling all teams, did CPU still make roster moves?

# 33 JerzeyReign @ 06/11/15 04:42 PM
I wish in season free agency wasn't automatic. 80 OVR players should take a week (advance) before making decision. Kind of like offering kids scholarships in NCAA - sometimes they'd commit immediately and sometimes you'd have convince them. 79 OVR and below would have the highest shot at signing immediately in case of a need for a roster position. Guys with 4 years or less would have to go through a waiver wire.

This is more for the online leagues out there that have to set certain times to open FA after the offseason or manually track their waiver wire like system.

Sad to see it was left untouched.

# 34 m1ke_nyc @ 06/11/15 04:58 PM
The most frustrating thing about this mode was that it was created this way with all the modes connected together, so that they didnt have to spend time here, there, and there. They can just focus on building one mode, and that was suppose to make things more efficient and allow them to do more. However its been the total opposite. This mode has grown at a snail like pace. We are constantly waiting for "next year".

The mode was designed to allow them to focus their resources on one mode instead of 3 separate but no difference has been made at all. I mean whats going on ? Based off the info we got so far the mode is gonna be a failure once again this year. And if its the same way for Madden 17 then fans will grow restless and we might be looking at another situation where they scrap the mode and start yet another 3 year plan.

Sorry I just have to say it, whose idea could it have been to add a ticker for goals instead of scores from around the league ? COME ON MAN

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.