Home
Feature Article
MLB 15 The Show: Diamond Dynasty Stock Watch (6-8-15)

Players On The Rise

Diamond players rejoice! Paul Goldschmidt is the first player who started as a Diamond when the season began to now see a major uptick in his ratings during the season. This is not a surprise and a surprise all at once. Goldschmidt has been a monster all season, but it was coming to a point where the question was simply becoming, "maybe his track record says he's already amazing, so why does he need anymore boosts?" Regardless, his time is now.

A.J. Pollock was another member of the Diamondbacks who got some love this week. Other big winners include Joc Pederson no longer needing a platoon partner, Evan Gattis getting a power boost,  Tyler Clippard taking back his Gold status a week after losing it, and Jeurys Familia finally getting a big boost and going Gold.

The biggest winners this week were Chris Colabello and Billy Burns who each received a plus-10 week over week in Overall rating.

Tier Changes

(All thanks go to Daddy Leagues for these numbers! They've been so on the ball the last couple weeks I no longer have to sync up before and after roster update video clips to do all the changes myself.)

• Chris Colabello went from Common to Bronze
  • Mike Pelfrey went from Common to Bronze
  • Hector Santiago went from Bronze to Silver
  • Johnny Giavotella went from Common to Bronze
  • Tyler Clippard went from Silver to Gold
  • Billy Burns went from Common to Bronze
  • Mark Trumbo went from Bronze to Silver
  • Shawn Tolleson went from Bronze to Silver
  • Evan Gattis went from Bronze to Silver
  • Samuel Deduno went from Common to Bronze
  • Yunel Escobar went from Bronze to Silver
  • Taylor Jordan went from Common to Bronze
  • Jeurys Familia went from Silver to Gold
  • Alex Guerrero went from Bronze to Silver
Full List Of Changes

Tyler Wilson +5 boost in Overall rating (63 Overall)
Brett Gardner +1 (84)
Chris B. Young +3 (77)
Chris Colabello +10 (75) -- +16 Con vs. R / +26 Con vs. L / +28 Pwr vs. L
Ryan Goins +1 (62)
Brandon Guyer +3 (72)
Corey Kluber +2 (92)
Mike Moustakas +1 (81) -- +6 Con vs. R
Mike Pelfrey +7 (74)
Hector Santiago +4 (81)
Johnny Giavotella +4 (70) -- +9 Con vs. R / +16 Con vs. L / +6 Pwr vs. L
Tyler Clippard +2 (85)
Billy Burns +10 (74) -- +23 Con vs. R / +23 Con vs. L / +11 Pwr vs. R / +19 Pwr vs. L
Arnold Leon +4 (67)
Mark Trumbo +1 (78)
Shawn Tolleson +4 (82)
Evan Gattis +3 (79) -- +7 Pwr vs. R / +8 Pwr vs. L
Samuel Deduno +4 (71)
Yunel Escobar +3 (80)
Taylor Jordan +4 (72)
Jacob deGrom +1 (87)
Jeurys Familia +5 (85)
Lucas Duda +3 (82) -- +6 Pwr vs. R / +6 Pwr vs. L
Kris Bryant +1 (84) -- +4 Con vs. R
Raisel Iglesias +4 (67)
Gregory Polanco +1 (76)
Jhonny Peralta +1 (80) -- +12 Con vs. R / +6 Pwr vs. L
Paul Goldschmidt +3 (97) -- +4 Con vs. R / +6 Pwr vs. R / +4 Pwr vs. L 
A.J. Pollock +2 (83) -- +10 Pwr vs. R / +6 Pwr vs. L
Nick Hundley +3 (74)
Chad Bettis +4 (61)
Joc Pederson +2 (83) -- -13 Con vs. R / +5 Con vs. L / +9 Pwr vs. R / +25 Pwr vs. L
Alex Guerrero +6 (81) -- +15 Con vs. R / +8 Con vs. L / +12 Pwr vs. R / +10 Pwr vs. L
Yangervis Solarte +5 (75)

Players On The Decline

Robinson Cano lost Diamond status last week, and now Adrian Beltre has lost that same status this week. This downgrade though might actually make many people happy as it should lower Beltre's exorbitant price in the marketplace a bit, which could make Nolan Ryan easier to acquire via finishing the Rangers Collection.

Otherwise it was mostly a calm week on the downgrades front. The only two things that really stick out are that the White Sox took some hits with Alexei Ramirez and Jeff Samardzija  going down in Overall rating, and Aramis Ramirez probably no longer qualifies as a monster platoon option against left handers. 

Tier Changes
  • Drew Pomeranz went from Bronze to Common
  • Adrian Beltre went from Diamond to Gold
  • Dillon Gee went from Silver to Bronze
  • Kristopher Negron went from Bronze to Common
Full List Of Changes

Steve Pearce -5 (75)
Chris Capuano -4 (72)
Alexei Ramirez -2 (81) -- -8 Con vs. R
Jeff Samardzija -2 (81)
Phil Hughes -2 (80)
Adrian Beltre -4 (89) -- -12 Con vs. R / -12 Con vs. L
Delino DeShields Jr. -4 (72)
Ross Detwiler -4 (71)
Anthony Bass -2 (64)
Jake Buchanan -5 (59)
Cody Martin -5 (69)
Ryan Zimmerman -2 (80) -- -12 Con vs. R / -9 Pwr vs. R / +12 Pwr vs. L
Taylor Hill -4 (59)
Dillon Gee -6 (72)
Ruben Tejada -2 (66)
Cody Asche -1 (72)
Dustin McGowan -5 (69)
Junior Lake -1 (65)
Kristopher Negron -6 (63)
Pedro Villarreal -4 (55)
Aramis Ramirez -3 (80) -- -10 Con vs. R / -19 Con vs. L
Gerardo Parra -2 (75)
David Peralta -1 (72)
Christian Bergman -5 (62)

Market Changes

There was a the May Topps 50 Pack over the weekend, but that did not impact things too much. In fact, some people are probably jazzed they got to pull a Goldschmidt before his upgrade went into effect. 

Ratings Boost Prediction Results

Let's see how I did on my predictions this week (and as always come back over the weekend for next week's predictions):

-From the High Probability section I went: (3/9)

OUCH! I felt very confident about Pollock and Burns and they both went up, but beyond Pederson that's all I got right. I sort of talked about how this week was tricky to predict because it's a lot of the same guys still putting up big numbers each week. For example, I predicted Goldschmidt would get love last week, but it happened this week instead. As we get deeper into the season, in order to nail this section it just might begin to matter more what the season numbers say rather than the last couple weeks or month.

-From the Moderate Probability section I went: (2/7)

Again, I hit on the one guy I was most comfortable with in Peralta, but otherwise whiffed besides Gregory Polanco. This was another group of players who have mostly just been solid all season so it was a feeling that maybe they were due to get some boosts. I was wrong.

-From the Low Probability section I went: (0/7)

Well, this is a first. I missed on absolutely every pick here. Yes, nailing any selections here is sort of a bonus, but still I didn't get any correct!? My pride is aching.  

New Players

There are 15 new players in Diamond Dynasty this week that will impact Collections (including Joey Gallo!):

• Ramon Flores (NYY)
  • Mike Mahtook (TB)
  • Daniel Fields (DET)
  • Edgar Ibarra (LAA)
  • Mike Montgomery (SEA)
  • Mayckol Guaipe (SEA)
  • Joey Gallo (TEX)
  • Chi Chi Gonzalez (TEX)
  • Hanser Alberto (TEX)
  • Michael Feliz (HOU)
  • Kendry Flores (MIA)
  • Ivan De Jesus Jr. (CIN)
  • Tyler Cravy (MIL)
  • Shane Peterson (MIL)
  • Josh Ravin (LAD)

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Dag_BoomStick @ 06/08/15 12:37 PM
At first base in swap as hell. I have goldy, rizzo and Gonzalez but I normally only carry goldy and Gonzalez. Rizzo is a flop for me batting .200 with 2 hr and 7 rbi in about 70 ab. If he gets a bump I'll give him another shot. For the longest time I started goldy over gonzo and that has worked well. Goldy was hitting over .320 against both righties and leftys but no power. Only 2 hr over a lot of ab while I've been doing the same vs both lefties a righties with gonzo but his average was around .290 against both but a lot more homers. I started using gonzo vs righties and goldy vs lefties but with goldys bump I might try him as a permanent starter again.

# 2 Socal @ 06/08/15 01:34 PM
What sucks for Goldy is Bagwell has him covered on every attribute against LHP.

Once Rizzo gets Diamond he will end the debate at 1B vs RHP.

Currently I'm hitting better with AGon & Fielder over Rizzo.

# 3 AJRC323 @ 06/08/15 02:07 PM
Sonny Gray being ignored week after week is absolutely absurd. I'm starting to wonder if he would have to pitch a perfect game with 27K's in order to get another 1 point upgrade.

# 4 ronc524 @ 06/08/15 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal
What sucks for Goldy is Bagwell has him covered on every attribute against LHP.

Once Rizzo gets Diamond he will end the debate at 1B vs RHP.

Currently I'm hitting better with AGon & Fielder over Rizzo.
If he played for Washington he would be a 99 by now.

# 5 ChaseB @ 06/08/15 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc524
If he played for Washington he would be a 99 by now.
Now now, Harper is the only beastly upgrade on the Nats. I can't really call West Coast bias either as the studio is in SD, and they've given other A's players a lot of love this year.

Still, I agree that Gray could use a boost.

# 6 ronc524 @ 06/08/15 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Now now, Harper is the only beastly upgrade on the Nats. I can't really call West Coast bias either as the studio is in SD, and they've given other A's players a lot of love this year.

Still, I agree that Gray could use a boost.
Yeah but look at how many if the Nats players started at golds. Harper has had a great season, but from where he started to get the diamond level was a little extreme compared to others who had a higher starting point and have had a great year and have gotten minimal if any boosts.

# 7 bxphenom7 @ 06/08/15 03:06 PM
Getting Familia off the market was such a great decision, oh so cheap 👌🏼

# 8 Gambit1193 @ 06/08/15 03:32 PM
I'm guessing we're just never gonna get new diamond pitchers. And that Betances fellow. I hear he's only given up 1 earned run but apparently that's not good enough for an upgrade.

# 9 E0910 @ 06/08/15 03:32 PM
Good thing I sold Beltre when I did. However, I would like to know when Michael Wacha is going to get some love? All he does is keep winning and gets snubbed every week.

# 10 ph33 @ 06/08/15 03:36 PM
Yeah, I don't get why Bryce Harper got so much love so quick and the others....nah, whatever.

# 11 Syce @ 06/08/15 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
So Beltre takes a ratings hit once he actually starts playing well? This game makes no sense sometimes.
isn't beltre hurt at the moment?

# 12 ph33 @ 06/08/15 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Leads all of MLB in OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, BB, R and WAR. All the love he's gotten is well deserved.
It's deserved, I'm just saying I think they're ignoring the others a little too much.

# 13 VoItage @ 06/08/15 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit1193
I'm guessing we're just never gonna get new diamond pitchers. And that Betances fellow. I hear he's only given up 1 earned run but apparently that's not good enough for an upgrade.
Haven't ya heard that Betances is like the 10th best reliever in baseball?

It's a travesty that he's still 87. Should be 91-92.

# 14 VoItage @ 06/08/15 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Walks a ton of guys and isn't a primary closer.
1st in WAR among all relief pitchers.
1st in K/9 among all pitchers. (min 20 IP)
1st in ERA among all pitchers. (min 20 IP)

It's pathetic that he's like the 10th highest rated reliever.

# 15 Caucasianator @ 06/08/15 04:56 PM
I'm just excited about my man Duda getting some more PWR's. Can't wait to use him when I get home.

# 16 Cincyez @ 06/08/15 07:29 PM
Homer Bailey dropped from gold status down to an 83 just for being injured.

# 17 ronc524 @ 06/08/15 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyez
Yeah U think Bailey is the only injured player to receive a downgrade while being injured.

# 18 ChaseB @ 06/08/15 08:08 PM
Quote:
Yeah but look at how many if the Nats players started at golds. Harper has had a great season, but from where he started to get the diamond level was a little extreme compared to others who had a higher starting point and have had a great year and have gotten minimal if any boosts.
I think I get what you're saying. The Nats had so much hype on them coming into the season that their players started from perhaps a bit of an artificially high place. I'm not saying there aren't irregularities that I disagree with either, but rating players you'll never make everyone happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E0910
Good thing I sold Beltre when I did. However, I would like to know when Michael Wacha is going to get some love? All he does is keep winning and gets snubbed every week.
He went Gold very recently, which is something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Leads all of MLB in OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, BB, R and WAR. All the love he's gotten is well deserved.
Yeah I'm with 55. He's having a stupidly amazing season as a super young player. You tend to get pushed if that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyez
Quote:
Yeah U think Bailey is the only injured player to receive a downgrade while being injured.
He is not, but it was highly irregular how they've handled dinging injured players.

# 19 Twinkie12 @ 06/09/15 07:12 PM
I guess Joc will be a little more well rounded now and will able to hit vs lefties but -9 Contact vs righties? Haven't looked into the hardcore numbers at all but that seems odd.

# 20 BentleyA @ 06/09/15 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie12
I guess Joc will be a little more well rounded now and will able to hit vs lefties but -9 Contact vs righties? Haven't looked into the hardcore numbers at all but that seems odd.
Hes hitting just .239 against righties (.302 against lefties), but most of his power comes against righties as well, so that actually makes sense.

I was curious earlier today and went and looked at Cozart and picked him up for super cheap because I believe he is a bronze for some reason, which is just silly to me. Been one of the best defensive short stops in the league this year (third in defensive WAR), second in HR for SS, 4th in wOBA for SS, and 4th in WAR for SS. I could go on. Top 5 in wRC+ and OPS as well. Now that I gloss over that again, that is just the SCEA guys completely missing him and not realizing what he is doing compared to the rest of the league. Cozart has been a top 5 SS this season (most saber metrics have him top 4), yet he is being ignored.

EDIT: Those numbers will favor Cozart even more after tonight and will be tied for first with 9 HRs for SS.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.