Home
Feature Article
Keeping NBA 2K15 Fresh As the NBA Season Ends

In the midst of an entertaining NBA Finals, NBA 2K15 fever is still running rampant.

This is a trend that's been found to work for many years. During a league's playoffs, gamers will resort to playing games like 2K or NHL 15 before the frevor of said sports dies out until next season. That being said, there's no better time to be playing 2K than right now, but there's a good chance you've exhausted all possible avenues to enjoy the game for this year.

Many years in MyCareer and a large number of wins in MyTeam and MyLeague eventually get boring. Believe it or not, though, there are still ways to spice the game up and keep it fun before trading it for NBA 2K16 (unless you did already after seeing the Spike Lee trailer, which you're forgiven if that's the case).

But for those who still have the game and are still having fun, here's how you can still make NBA 2K15 a jolly good time.

Fantasy Draft in MyLeague or MyGM
All player ratings are set in stone with the exception of Golden State and Cleveland, so resetting the rosters and having a free-for-all of epic proportions sounds like something that would be interesting.

The best part about a fantasy draft is that every team is on a level playing field, so the world isn't spinning out of control if LeBron James ends up on the Utah Jazz, or Kevin Durant finds his way to the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Cleveland Cavaliers could go back to being the worst team in the league with no LeBron and the ghost of Eric Snow leading the show. It can also be a challenge, especially when incorporating salary cap implications.

It's a perfect example of team building in a radical way that makes no sense, but is a great way to combine beer and basketball because anything can happen.

MyLeague with Historical Teams
How many times have you been asked which team is the best ever? The ideal answers are usually the '86 Celtics and '96 Bulls.

This idea would be best saved for next year, when the '01 Lakers, '08 Celtics and '00 Raptors are in the game, but for now, put each historic team through a season or two and see which team comes out on top. Since there are so many Lakers, Bulls and Celtics teams, the tough part is picking which team you want in your league (unless you want young Michael Jordan vs. the one from '96, be my guest).

And while you're at it, if possible, download some rosters with each respective team's greatest team and put them in said MyLeague. Give the Philadelphia 76ers and the New York Knicks a chance to be competitive at least once. One of them is bound to get through to the NBA Finals, especially if Michael Jordan can't beat LeBron James in the playoffs, sending internet trolls into a frenzy.

MyPark (When it Works)
If you haven't played much of this mode yet, now would be a good time. There will be times players spam every move possible and make the experience seem like it's the end of the world, but it's worth trying it out just once.

When the servers are working properly and the players aren't spamming, MyPark is an entertaining mode that doesn't require much to participate, except for a talented MyPlayer and five go-to dunk packages that can be used to dunk on your opponents. I've talked to a few people who have no interest in playing MyPark because it doesn't pique their interest.

It doesn't hurt to give it a shot. It can be fun when working.

Join an Online League
This is one of those modes that has gone overlooked since the game was launched. It was a highly-requested mode, but the addition of MyCareer and MyGM may have slighted online leagues.

But with the offseason near, this might be a good time to join one. Playing with a group of people always helps a game regain its luster. You can also do a fantasy draft with online leagues and intensify the drama. Hopefully 2K keeps online leagues for next year, but they need to go above and beyond to promote it, as much as they do with MyCareer.

It was such a popular mode, once upon a time. But maybe it has to do with the *cough* servers *cough*.

The 1,000-Point Challenge
This is only to be done if you have an entire summer you want to kill in one game.

QJB did a video on this (and if you aren't subscribed to him on YouTube, go do it now). It looks absurd at first, and it sounds really stupid, but if you have time to kill there might be nothing better to do than score 1,000 points on a team and the game actually not crash.

It's not really a feature in the game, but the younger generation may have the tendency to be constantly moving and doing something at all times. Want to keep the kids busy? Go tell them to score 1,000 points up until dinner time and then tell them to go to bed. Why not?

How are you keeping NBA 2K15 fresh this late into the season?

NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JUSTlFIED @ 06/09/15 02:48 PM
Fix PS4 MyPark Voice chat to foster a competitive spirit, and to allow communication with those not on your friend list.

I still have the game and am still having fun, but they would allow many to have a jolly good time, IMO

# 2 DarkEdgeX5 @ 06/09/15 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTlFIED
Fix PS4 MyPark Voice chat to foster a competitive spirit, and to allow communication with those not on your friend list.

I still have the game and am still having fun, but they would allow many to have a jolly good time, IMO
That would be a nightmare with 20+ people at once. And I (and I'm sure most people) don't want to communicate with the average 2K player.

# 3 sluknucks @ 06/09/15 03:09 PM
What Online Leagues??????? That mode hasn't been functional all year! Anytime you play a game it does not register am I missing something here???????????

# 4 BA2929 @ 06/09/15 03:42 PM
Another tip:

Play a MyLeague with a fantasy draft, but include all the Classic Team players rated 75+. Just trade them for the worst players in the NBA.

Makes the game more difficult due to the better talent, and there's noting more exciting than having a guy like Larry Bird match up with Kevin Durant.

# 5 JUSTlFIED @ 06/09/15 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEdgeX5
That would be a nightmare with 20+ people at once. And I (and I'm sure most people) don't want to communicate with the average 2K player.
20+ people?

You only hear players on the Court with you. Plus its already in the game just broken on PS4.

You can here people talk waiting on Got Next, but once the game start is doesnt work.

And you might be in the minority. Lots of people use voice chat on MyPark in 2K14

Oh one more thing, allow teams of any affiliation (outside of The Stage) not the the championship is over

# 6 Skyflame21 @ 06/09/15 06:25 PM
I really was pumped for online leagues but the fact that it has to be a full 30 human controlled ruined the chance of my participation. Unfortunately I don't have 30 friends that are NBA fans nor the time to commit but there was about 6 of us locked and loaded for a season. All that build up to find out that we couldn't use AI controlled teams to fill the other non-selected organizations. Bummer. We didn't want unknowns in our league looking to spam which is pretty much every random online match. And it was too time consuming to vet another 20+ candidates to fill the teams. Hopefully next season the make a league where it's up 30 teams not a requirement. Most want to play against their buddies for bragging rights. Please allow for 2-30 teams in online leagues. I believe that if NBA and the NHL would go that route they'd get much more play.

# 7 zmcman1 @ 06/09/15 06:55 PM
Near the end of every year, I typically do a 30-team controlled fantasy draft. I do the draft itself within Excel so I can take breaks, usually takes me about a week to do it.

For the first round, I figure out the 30 guys I want to be in the round and try to match them up with the team/city I feel they fit best. So Kobe stays in LA, LeBron Cleveland, Rose in Chicago, etc. Then I rank them 1-30 for snake draft purposes.

I also won't let guys that typically retire within the first three seasons to go in the first round. So for this season with Duncan, I think I'm just going to let him be San Antonio's second round pick to keep him there with Parker. May give them a competitive edge, we'll see.

After I finish the draft within Excel, I draft the teams within the games. I don't make any trades for the entire first season so my initial setup stays the same. In past years, I'd usually play a game with each team/play the All Star weekend/sim to the playoffs where I play some of those series.

I think I'm going to try something different this year though and mainly use one team. Do the initial draft and afterward, use a randomizer to determine which team I use. That way I won't know who I'm going to be during the draft process and can't skew things in my favor.

# 8 KennyJ1976 @ 06/09/15 07:40 PM
NBA 2K15 would be more fresh to me if it had a playoff mode so I can play out these current playoffs. Since it doesn't, I barely play it at all. ALL SPORTS GAMES NEED A PLAYOFF MODE!!!!!!!

# 9 Fist Of Kings @ 06/09/15 11:05 PM
What you can do is build theme teams: a team of all scrubs, all young players, all old players, all short players etc. That never gets old for me.

What I like about the nba 2K series is that if you choose to go the all scrub team route, it won't be easy. Other sports games you can plug in anyone and still win with ease.

# 10 iTofu @ 06/10/15 10:44 AM
"Fantasy Draft in MyLeague or MyGM" scratch that... The reduction in 3 point ratings has seriously unbalanced simulation results and stats. Completely ruined those game modes for the playoffs this year.

# 11 Tengo Juego @ 06/11/15 07:50 PM
My Park is a mess currently. From court's got next spots breaking and causing players to get stuck in them, or not be able to step on/off in a reasonable amount of time, to awful lag spikes in-games; often just too laggy to play. And the rotten community that has now set out with this Demi-god glitch giving them all badges and spawning 7'2" PG. It's not a great experience. If you can manage to get a good group together, you'll have better luck, but good luck finding quality opponents who play non-cheese ball.

# 12 ItsJustaGame @ 06/11/15 08:32 PM
@MMChrisS bro how old are you?

# 13 H Town @ 06/12/15 04:21 PM
Yeah, the OA works. I joined one the other day and it was fun.

# 14 TheBallGuru @ 06/12/15 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcman1
Near the end of every year, I typically do a 30-team controlled fantasy draft. I do the draft itself within Excel so I can take breaks, usually takes me about a week to do it.

For the first round, I figure out the 30 guys I want to be in the round and try to match them up with the team/city I feel they fit best. So Kobe stays in LA, LeBron Cleveland, Rose in Chicago, etc. Then I rank them 1-30 for snake draft purposes.

I also won't let guys that typically retire within the first three seasons to go in the first round. So for this season with Duncan, I think I'm just going to let him be San Antonio's second round pick to keep him there with Parker. May give them a competitive edge, we'll see.

After I finish the draft within Excel, I draft the teams within the games. I don't make any trades for the entire first season so my initial setup stays the same. In past years, I'd usually play a game with each team/play the All Star weekend/sim to the playoffs where I play some of those series.

I think I'm going to try something different this year though and mainly use one team. Do the initial draft and afterward, use a randomizer to determine which team I use. That way I won't know who I'm going to be during the draft process and can't skew things in my favor.
Confused as to why you do a fantasy draft but pretty much keep everyone on their current teams. Whats the point of fantasy draft if you're making Parker and Duncan stay in SA?

# 15 Inzombniac @ 06/12/15 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBallGuru
Confused as to why you do a fantasy draft but pretty much keep everyone on their current teams. Whats the point of fantasy draft if you're making Parker and Duncan stay in SA?
I do the same thing sometimes whenever I do a fantasy draft. Dwight in Orlando is another frequent. Two guys staying together in their location isn't that bad. Even if you kept Manu, you have the Spurs three but you can surround them with different talent to see how that works out playing against them compared to the normal Spurs.

Then maybe on another team you go completely fantasy with a younger player as the star piece. Being honest, I think what always suckers me in with fantasy drafts is the idea of creating different scenario teams. Like a three point shooting team with Steph Curry and other good 3 point shooters. Or a defensive team with a bunch of defensive minded players like Jimmy Butler and Tony Allen. Or since the Knicks have the triangle, putting a team suited to that together.

# 16 zmcman1 @ 06/13/15 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBallGuru
Because for some guys, I don't want to see them playing in other jerseys. Kobe's been a Laker his entire career, I'd rather him stick with the city. Rose is Chicago, Wade is Miami, Dirk will always be a Mav as long as I keep him in the first round.

There's some guys I'll shuffle to different places if I don't really feel a connection to their current/previous teams and can move them closer to their hometown. CP3 tends to end up in Charlotte. Wiggins got to be Toronto's first pick. I took Cousins out of Sacramento so I could have a Curry/Warriors and Klay/Sacramento rivalry.

I've only done five rounds to this point but Parker/Duncan are the only Spurs players to be on San Antonio. Had them pass on Ginobili twice before I put him on Atlanta.

# 17 Pvidakis @ 06/15/15 11:00 AM
This is a great game . I have played 40.000 games and that is like to statt just now. Join us

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.