Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 16: The Seven Most Exciting Teams

Even though the midwest is current experiencing a heat wave, the start of fantasy leagues, preseason rankings, and training camps have me excited that football season is finally upon us. And of course, that means the next Madden release is right around the corner. Seems like a perfect time for another ranking! Let’s take a look at the Madden teams I’m most excited to try on the virtual gridiron.

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts have the fifth-best team rating in Madden this year, so their inclusion on this list isn’t surprising. They are one of the most well-rounded teams in the league, which should translate well to Madden. With Andrew Luck at the helm and a fair share of targets to throw to, the Colts are sure to be a popular pick among players this year, myself included.

New England Patriots

If the Colts’ inclusion didn’t surprise you, then neither should the team that’s tied with the Seahawks for the best overall team rating. Sure, this is probably the easiest pick to make, but playing with Brady in Madden reminds me of using Jordan in 2K. And for whatever reason, being able to do so while Brady is still playing means a little more. Throw in Edelman and Gronk and you have one of the most potent offensive weapons in the entire game. They’re sure to be another fan favorite for what feels like the 50th year in a row.

Buffalo Bills

No one is quite sure how Rex Ryan is going to manage his talented, but quarterbackless team. Since everyone’s favorite thing to do is second-guess the decision-makers, the Bills should prove to be an interesting Madden experience as well. If you can use the Bills’ talented defense to keep your opponent in check, you should be able to help virtual E.J. Manuel find his targets.

Carolina Panthers

Do I need another reason besides: “Cam Newton?” I don’t think I do. He’s not quite peak-Vick in video game terms, but then again, who is? Still, his speed and explosiveness make him one of the more exciting quarterbacks to run with in Madden. The Panthers rank right in the middle in terms of overall team rating, but the Panthers will still be a fun team to use.

New Orleans Saints

Sure, the New Orleans Saints of today are hardly the powerhouse they have been in recent years. Luckily for gamers, it typically takes video games a while before putting former juggernauts in their place, and thus, the Saints. They are missing lot of familiar faces, but with Drew Brees and Marques Colston still around, the Saints should still be a blast to use. Just don’t expect to dominate the way you’re used to.

Dallas Cowboys & Detroit Lions

These two are listed together for reasons very near and dear to my Detroit heart. Everyone talks about the controversial incomplete pass call the Cowboys got against the Packers in the playoffs last year, yet everyone conveniently leaves out that the Cowboys were the benefactors of another controversial call the week prior. Both teams are intriguing on their own, and even bear some similarities with sometimes shaky quarterbacks (Stafford & Romo) and two of the best wideouts in the game (Megatron & Dez Bryant). I cannot wait to put both of these teams on the field against each other for a rematch. Hey, if the Lions can’t win a playoff game in real life, some Madden redemption is the next best thing.

Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Mauer4MVP @ 08/19/15 10:22 AM
I may be a homer, but the Vikings should be on there over the Panthers and Lions with all the speed on offense and defense combined with the young talent that they have.

Still good list and nice work!

# 2 The JareBear @ 08/19/15 10:24 AM
Vikings are a great team in madden this year

# 3 adub88 @ 08/19/15 10:25 AM
we gonna be a problem this year, weapons everywhere

# 4 SIR924 @ 08/19/15 11:12 AM
I can see the Vikings on this list. I agree that Buffalo should show up this year as a team players use due the speed on offense.

# 5 T5063 @ 08/19/15 11:15 AM
I'm going with the Bills in CFM this year... EJ Manuel is no where in my plans though.

# 6 BreakingBad2013 @ 08/19/15 11:16 AM
Eagles anyone? Best set of RBs, WRs are young and will get crazy ratings boosts over the year, very good front 7, and Malcolm Jenkins/Byron Maxwell helps the back end.

# 7 hirst1000 @ 08/19/15 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
we gonna be a problem this year, weapons everywhere
Stretching the field with Moncrief, TY and Dorsett with AJ running routes underneath. It's gonna be dangerous!

Then Carter, AJ, Fleener and Allen in the redzone, lobbing it up all day, or Gore pounding it in. I can't wait!

# 8 scottyp180 @ 08/19/15 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirst1000
Stretching the field with Moncrief, TY and Dorsett with AJ running routes underneath. It's gonna be dangerous!

Then Carter, AJ, Fleener and Allen in the redzone, lobbing it up all day, or Gore pounding it in. I can't wait!
That's great! Now how are they going to stop opposing teams? They'll be great in madden but typically the powerhouse offensive teams aren't the one hoisting the trophy at the end of the year.

# 9 CarryTheWeight @ 08/19/15 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
I'm going with the Bills in CFM this year... EJ Manuel is no where in my plans though.
Especially with (inevitable starter) Tyrod Taylor playing like Madden 2004-era Vick the other night.

Unfortunately, that won't stop me from exploiting Madden's trade logic to land an elite QB in CFM.

# 10 ChaseB @ 08/19/15 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Vikings are a great team in madden this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I may be a homer, but the Vikings should be on there over the Panthers and Lions with all the speed on offense and defense combined with the young talent that they have.

Still good list and nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR924
I can see the Vikings on this list. I agree that Buffalo should show up this year as a team players use due the speed on offense.
Yessssssss, I love all the Vikings hype for this season, LOVE IT! I'm ready for them to win 12 games or like 6, it's going to be the best.

# 11 poulka @ 08/19/15 11:46 AM
Yeah the colts are ready. Already playing with these guys on M15 with updated rosters and drafts picks.

# 12 hirst1000 @ 08/19/15 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
That's great! Now how are they going to stop opposing teams? They'll be great in madden but typically the powerhouse offensive teams aren't the one hoisting the trophy at the end of the year.
They have made improvements on defense which have largely gone unnoticed. Very little pressure last year from a 4 man rush which meant loads of blitzing. This year, with the return of Mathis (hopefully recovered from his achilles tear and hopefullu the Clomid was just used in the offseason for the purposes he claimed) along with the addition of Trent Cole. Also, Newsome had a nice rookie season as basically our only rusher worth anything. I also like Henry Anderson on 3rd downs.

Another big problem was cornerback depth. Aside from an elite CB1 and an above average nickel corner there wasn't much else. Hopefully D'Juon Smith can help out there as an upgrade over Josh Gordy. When we played the Steelers they started piling up the points when Vontae Davis got injured. Also, he will probably be following WR1 this year taking some pressure off Toler.

Another nice addition is Nate Irving who was one of the best run stopping ILBs in the league. If he can recover from his ACL he could be a nice addition.

I'm not saying the D will be top tier but they weren't as terrible as some make out. The big problem was those top 5 offenses. I'm hoping the D is improved enough to limit their scoring enough for #12 to get the W.

# 13 scottyp180 @ 08/19/15 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirst1000
They have made improvements on defense which have largely gone unnoticed. Very little pressure last year from a 4 man rush which meant loads of blitzing. This year, with the return of Mathis (hopefully recovered from his achilles tear and hopefullu the Clomid was just used in the offseason for the purposes he claimed) along with the addition of Trent Cole. Also, Newsome had a nice rookie season as basically our only rusher worth anything. I also like Henry Anderson on 3rd downs.

Another big problem was cornerback depth. Aside from an elite CB1 and an above average nickel corner there wasn't much else. Hopefully D'Juon Smith can help out there as an upgrade over Josh Gordy. When we played the Steelers they started piling up the points when Vontae Davis got injured. Also, he will probably be following WR1 this year taking some pressure off Toler.

Another nice addition is Nate Irving who was one of the best run stopping ILBs in the league. If he can recover from his ACL he could be a nice addition.

I'm not saying the D will be top tier but they weren't as terrible as some make out. The big problem was those top 5 offenses. I'm hoping the D is improved enough to limit their scoring enough for #12 to get the W.
It will be interesting to say the least. The AFC has no clear cut favorite from what I can see. I'd say maybe the Superbowl champions but they took big hits on defense. The AFC could be up for grabs.

# 14 hirst1000 @ 08/19/15 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
It will be interesting to say the least. The AFC has no clear cut favorite from what I can see. I'd say maybe the Superbowl champions but they took big hits on defense. The AFC could be up for grabs.
Make no mistake, picking up AJ and drafting Dorsett was a direct result of that Pats secondary. Luck was shut down.

I think the Steelers, Pats and Colts have to be three of the favorites with the Ravens and Broncos close behind. Lots of high powered offenses atop the AFC.

# 15 T5063 @ 08/19/15 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Especially with (inevitable starter) Tyrod Taylor playing like Madden 2004-era Vick the other night.

Unfortunately, that won't stop me from exploiting Madden's trade logic to land an elite QB in CFM.
I was hoping to land Phillip Rivers, either through trade and then resign him to a long term deal or through FA after one season... but that ship has sailed. I like to keep my moves semi-realistic.

# 16 steeldee7 @ 08/19/15 01:21 PM
Steelers should be plenty of fun to play with. Ben Bell Brown And Bryant. HEEEAAAATTTHH and Shazier how wont they be fun?

# 17 goillini03 @ 08/19/15 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Eagles anyone? Best set of RBs, WRs are young and will get crazy ratings boosts over the year, very good front 7, and Malcolm Jenkins/Byron Maxwell helps the back end.
I am a complete homer but I agree. I will enjoy rocking the Eagles this year.

# 18 GeauxTigers @ 08/19/15 01:29 PM
Personally the Rex Ryan factor doesn't translate at all into the video game ... so not sure why he helps make Buffalo a factor. If you want exciting defense why not play as Seattle and get the benefit of a fun mobile quarterback like Wilson to play with and the closest thing to Gronk in the NFL with Jeremy Graham ... plus anyone who watched that Dallas v. Seattle video would have to agree that the prospect of trucking players with Lynch and fighting for extra yards looks pretty exciting too. Not to mention you can post video all season of the various ways to run the football with Lynch from the 1-yard line.

# 19 grodbetatted @ 08/19/15 03:48 PM
My vikes about to be a problem out there.. Speed at the receiver position, Adrian Peterson back, teddy bridgewater... Our defense bouta be a top 10 based on our talent man we gon be fun to play with

# 20 prhiam @ 08/19/15 04:32 PM
I guess I don't understand how the Broncos could not be on there. Great offensive weapons, defense is stellar with good pass rush and outstanding defensive backfield. Certainly much more impressive than the Pats in my opinion. The Pats are still just about Tom Brady.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.