Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K16: How MyGM and MyLeague Are The Best Modes in the Game

By now, everyone is well aware that the NBA 2K series is known for how well it replicates the game of basketball. Its on-court product can’t be matched right now. But what about behind the scenes in the front office? Part of what makes basketball (and other sports, for that matter) so appealing is the way teams are constructed to play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Five players who are considered "good" separately might not complement each other as well as one would expect. To that end, the 2K team has put forth a tremendous effort to make the off-court action as realistic as it is on the court with MyGM and MyLeague.

Tough Choices

The premise of MyGM is the same as last year. You take control of a franchise, receive specific goals from your team’s owner, and then receive XP by completing those goals -- along with various other tasks that arise throughout your career. Most of the time, the goals make sense. As the new GM of the Pistons (sorry, Stan the Man), my owner wanted me to acquire a first-round pick in the offseason.

But some of the goals take you out of the realistic realm. My owner asking me to acquire an impact player is not out of the question, but having him specifically request a player with an 85 rating was a jarring reminder that this is a video game. Requesting someone with a specific skill set would make more sense, but that’s a relatively minor gripe.

Managing player relationships is a lot more fun than I would ever expect it to be. Andre Drummond approached me about being included in trade rumors. He point blank asked me if it was true, and I promised him that it was not. So of course, what happens next? I got offered a first-round pick from Minnesota for Drummond. Given that I did not yet sign him to a contract extension, it was a tempting offer. After all, I could go into full rebuild mode and get what’s sure to be a high lottery pick from the T-Wolves, while at the same time also fulfilling my owner’s goal of acquiring a first-round pick. But that would involve breaking my promise to Drummond and taking a hit to my credibility as a GM. I opted to keep AD as I felt he was too valuable to the franchise. But I was forced into a tough choice, which has not always been the case in this mode.

The press conferences you give on a regular basis also provide another layer of detail beyond trading players and signing free agents. You have to think about your responses. If you lose credibility with the media, expect more frequent and difficult questions. But as you gain credibility with the media, you might notice that your owner and players are not as happy with your candor. You have to find the right balance. So far, I have taken to just answering honestly and letting the chips fall where they may.

Relocation

The biggest addition to this year’s franchise modes is team relocation. In each mode, the process starts the same. You select the team you want to relocate, choose the new city, design a court and some uniforms, and then submit your application. With MyLeague, there is no approval process. But with MyGM, you have to actually put thought into your relocation.

My first attempt was to try and move the Detroit Pistons to St. Louis, MI (2K’s typo, not mine). The interface is organized really well and details, in steps, what you need to do. Even picking a city is not automatic. Each potential relocation city has a profile that details the area’s population, income, and current market team (if available), along with the strengths and weaknesses of that market.

After you submit your application, you see a breakdown of where each owner stands so you can assess how many owners you need to sway to your side before moving. You can even meet with them in order to see what specific concerns they have. I had almost an even mix of owners who were on the fence versus owners who were already a "no" on the topic. In the end, my bid for relocation was denied, with most owners concluding that St. Louis does not have sufficient interest for a team, and that my arena was not luxurious enough. When I re-apply next year, I’ll know to put more money into the arena in hopes of turning some owners to my side.

Given that this is the first year 2K has attempted relocation, the feature is quite robust. It’s not without its flaws and it’s far from perfect, but it’s a great building block. For 2K17, here’s hoping there is not a limit on how many teams can be relocated. And if I can be greedy, allowing expansion and contraction would be a huge boost to the franchise modes as well.

Wheeling And Dealing

The draft lottery and draft itself also got some love this year. The draft lottery reveals the prediction before each selection, while a ticker at the bottom displays information about the pick and how often that franchise picks in the lottery. It adds a bit more drama when you see a surprise at number seven, with the ticker below stating that this means "Team X" has moved into the top three. And for the draft itself, instead of watching digital Adam Silver read the picks from a podium, there is a cool new graphic that shows the draft order and then some information on the player selected.

The under-the-hood improvements are apparent as well. Trade offers are much more realistic and each team has a defined goal. Instead of searching simply for value, each team now has a status page that shows whether it’s rebuilding, contending for a playoff spot, etc. It even lists what players they are interested in trading for as well as whom they have on the block. As GM of the Pistons, I probably could not entice the rebuilding Sixers with Jodie Meeks. But if I wanted to dump some picks or young players to acquire some players for a playoff run, they might be willing to listen.

Miscellaneous

The addition of Summer League games is also a nice touch in that it adds another layer of realism to this mode, but I myself don’t spend much time with it as I like to focus on the pros. The updated home page is also a nice touch. It centers on the calendar schedule, of course, with some vital information in the side bar, such as the trading block and how satisfied your players are with the organization.

As for MyLeague, it’s basically MyGM without the owner goals, press conferences and player relationships. Trades, signings, drafts, etc. all work exactly the same. If you just want to control the virtual NBA world and not worry about leveling up, this is the mode for you. But if you want the front office to have sort of a mini-game feel, then MyGM is what you’re looking for.

Wrapping Up

NBA 2K16 has plenty of game modes to keep you busy, but MyGM and MyLeague are the bread and butter if your goal is to re-create the NBA experience. Whether you want to control the entire league or just a single franchise, you’ll find something here to like.

NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 bravesvolsfan @ 10/08/15 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Should there be an asterisk that the most interesting mode in the game doesn't even work? Pro-Am is what sold me and not only does it work, but 2k is doing its best to keep it quiet.
There is a patch fixing it coming soon. Related to this article, MyGM is one of my favorite modes to play in the game.

# 2 GlennN @ 10/08/15 02:46 PM
Why oh why can't they get back into hockey . . .

# 3 rudeworld @ 10/08/15 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Why oh why can't they get back into hockey . . .
.... Baseball.... And NFL. why oh why did you take the option away from us NFL?

# 4 DocHolliday @ 10/08/15 03:13 PM
MyLeague is the best franchise mode am ever offered in sports by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 5 rkocjay @ 10/08/15 03:48 PM
i agree that these are the best modes in sports game just need year to year saves

# 6 Jadakiss88 @ 10/08/15 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkocjay
i agree that these are the best modes in sports game just need year to year saves
I second this....

# 7 Andrews @ 10/08/15 04:09 PM
I hope the patch fixes the player lock function in MyGM. Once that happens, I will dive in.

# 8 BBallcoach @ 10/08/15 04:29 PM
Just an FYI to people. The PC version, you can relocate all 30 teams if you want. One of the designers said that for consoles it's a memory issue.

# 9 bigdipper88 @ 10/08/15 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
.... Baseball.... And NFL. why oh why did you take the option away from us NFL?
No no no, 2k baseball was god awful. The Show is amazing and has been the standard for sports games for quite awhile now along with NBA 2k

# 10 ghettog @ 10/08/15 05:36 PM
I definitely have been enjoying MyGM. It seems harder to build your team. At least if you are starting from a bottom team. Its pretty much impossible to trade for an elite player.

I usually play it by simulating a lot. However the constant auto saves and load times when someone gets injured, is healed, press conference etc etc does make for an annoying experience. I wish they would have taken autosave out of MyGM mode like they did MyLeague. Why is it taking forever to load these constant text conversations? I am on PS4 btw. I assume its faster to save/load on PC.

# 11 davel @ 10/08/15 05:43 PM
They need to fix player asking for too low of a contract

# 12 3mir @ 10/08/15 06:24 PM
where is resign option in mygm?

# 13 Trackball @ 10/08/15 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallcoach
Just an FYI to people. The PC version, you can relocate all 30 teams if you want. One of the designers said that for consoles it's a memory issue.
Well, that's weird. I wonder exactly what kind. Would it make load times twice as long, or what?

I'm sure some "glorious PC master race" jerk on some other site is already throwing this fact in our faces...

Oh well, 2K and VC have earned my trust on everything else, so I'll trust them here.

# 14 TarHeelPhenom @ 10/08/15 07:45 PM
Can you please make a college football game? I don't care if every team is generic and the matchup is like Bill Walsh Tallahassee vs. Gainesville. Just make a college football game with a Dynasty Mode please!!!

# 15 evilandgood @ 10/08/15 10:18 PM
First year doing MyGM (Stayed on MyLeague last year), and I'm loving it!

Only complaint is that you have to do 82 games. I love playing every game of the season, but 82 is a bit much and I love seeing the progression from year to year.

Hopefully next year we can choose between 28, 56, and 82 games like in MyLeague.

# 16 ehnProdigy @ 10/09/15 01:53 AM
Anyone running into bug in MyLeague where trades are approved by the other team(s) and nothing happening?

I can't get any trades to go through at the moment. I relocated a team if that matters at all.

# 17 NastyGT @ 10/09/15 03:35 AM
MY LEAGUE in PC version is way too buggy. Some shoes are uneditable, some you cannot use, transfers are messy and unbelievable and contract extensions are hilarious. For example, I use trade finder and put Collison, Singler and Novak (OKC, of course) together and Toronto offers DeMarre Carroll and Terrence Ross!! WTF! And I also traded Andre Drummond and he resigned new contract for less than 9 millions per year! God, even Ajinca have bigger contract.
Needs a lot of tweaking...

# 18 Yankees_CT @ 10/09/15 05:43 AM
Yeah I'm a hardcore MLB The Show guy and to me MyLeague has officially overtaken my top sports game mode. Also, I second the college football idea. Get as many schools as you can, throw in generic players and drop the NCAA logos. Just have this mode in it and I am most certainly sold.

# 19 jbug3 @ 10/09/15 02:58 PM
Love MyGM, not really a huge MyPlayer fan even with all the new additions this year. I'm big on customization with creating draft classes and I like creating my own player and using him in MyGM. I just wish the CAP and editing draft classes was as in depth as it is when creating your MyPlayer such as tattoos, signature size-ups, etc. I'm most disappointed in the lack of ability to add the signature size-ups in CAP, you are only limited to adding only one signature size-up. If this is something that could be patched that would be awesome. To make MyGM even more realistic they should bring back the D-League. Love the direction 2k is going with MyGM, just a few more additions and it would take it over the top. The addition of FIBA and trying to make team USA would be an awesome feature to add to MyGM too, though is probably unlikely in the near future because of licensing and all that of course.

# 20 kobebryant314 @ 10/09/15 03:18 PM
If we could do "preferred positions" during game then MyLeague really would be the best!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.