Home
Feature Article
Five Additions We'd Like to See in FIFA's Career Mode

While FIFA 16 does not offer the Career Mode overhaul that many crave, it still presents players with an offline experience full of fun and gratification. As with any mode, there are items that could be added or tweaked to provide a more realistic and enjoyable experience. In this piece, I will throw out five suggestions that could make Career Mode even better.

Greater Immersion

Despite a plethora of news stories, emails and notifications, FIFA 16’s Career Mode could use some work when it comes to the overall immersion. Features such as a transfer log, player stats (advanced & historical) and opposition scouting are all missing. While the Global Transfer Network works as intended in terms of finding you targets from around the globe, there’s no way to know what kind of season they’re having since stats are missing if the player is in another league.

Pre-match scouting is also virtually absent as you can really only see the opposition’s last three matches. Where is the preferred lineup or lineup used in the last match?

Improved CPU AI Logic

If you have played FIFA’s Career Mode for some time, you will know that transfers made between CPU clubs are often illogical. Despite being called the “silly season,” transfers in FIFA 16 still suffer from a lack of quantity (not enough minor transfers) and quality (CPU stockpiling certain positions while ignoring others). It’s disheartening that in in Year 4 of your Career Mode you can face an Arsenal side that still has nine or 10 players from the same starting XI as in Year 1.

Additionally, there seems to be some odd cases where CPU clubs have bigger budgets than they should. In Year 1, I have noticed clubs like Valencia and Sevilla come in for $40 million pound bids for Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas despite having a starting budget of significantly less. Perhaps they sold off a few players to raise the cash? One will never know because of the aforementioned lack of a transfer log.

Manager Carousel

Piggybacking off the previous two topics, a Managerial Carousel similar to NCAA Football’s “Coaching Carousel” is sorely needed to breathe some life into the virtual footy world. Managerial turnover at the highest levels of soccer is frequent. Arsene Wenger aside, top sides change managers like normal people change socks.

Crystal Palace has had 19 managers in the last 21 years! A feature like this would see managerial philosophies (formations, transfer policy, etc…) change from time to time. In the previous example, that Arsenal side from Year 4 that has nine or 10 of the original starting XI would also still be trotting out in the same formation.

Youth/Reserve Team & Practice Mode

Despite FIFA 16’s introduction of a more robust Training Mode and refined Youth Team, there still could be more done to enhance Career Mode in this area. Unless you give a depth-chart buried youngster the odd run out, there’s no way to get a real feel for those squad rotation players. Why not introduce youth or reserve sides to give virtual managers an opportunity to see what they have in that recently promoted academy kid.

If that’s not possible, a simple practice mode would suffice and could be used in conjunction with scouting as you prepare for an upcoming opponent. Getting ready for a tightly contested European Cup match against Italian opposition? Why not hit the practice pitch and set the reserve side up to mimic the opposition's preferred formation.

Online Career Mode

If there is one feature/game mode that I will faithfully devote words to it is this. Sports genre benchmarks like MLB The Show, NBA 2K, and Madden have it, why doesn’t FIFA? The implementation would be difficult but not impossible. Blending the offline crowd with the online crowd would create a much needed addition to FIFA.

Imagine the battles an Arsenal/Spurs or Barcelona/Real Madrid co-op Online Career Mode would have. Competing against another person for cups, prized transfers and trophies would be amazing.

Despite these shortcomings, FIFA 16 still offers a fun experience capable of keeping you up to the wee hours of the night as you scout the next Ronaldo. With that being said, tell us what improvements you’d like to see added to FIFA’s Career Mode.

FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mfp @ 10/21/15 12:08 AM
Honestly, of those five, the only one that really interests me is the first, and especially the bit about pre-match scouting. Not knowing who you're up against is lame and limits the mode's tactical depth.

For me, the biggest need is a chemistry system like PES introduced this year. I've been saying for years that it's an embarrassment that FUT has a chemistry system, albeit a rudimentary one, while CM does not.

# 2 JayD @ 10/21/15 09:49 AM
The transfer system needs a complete overhaul! There are still not enough transfers/loans and also we need a transaction log.

# 3 johnalex918 @ 10/21/15 12:04 PM
i saw fifa 16 it was very interesting game. i like it now i am looking for next game of this series which is already in development http://fifa17game.com/

# 4 fearwhatnow @ 10/21/15 12:12 PM
The major gameplay feature is Manager Carousel. But before that EA needs to implement real life tactics to each team. It's time consuming for sure but it can work via DLCs or expansions or ingame updates. Release the '17 game with BPL real life tactics for each team based on the previous year team's tactics and connect several tactics to individual managers as KG mentioned in his article above. A new season or even the existing season will be so dynamic and varied.

# 5 HenryClay1844 @ 10/21/15 09:10 PM
It will never be a proper career mode until they get the b and youth teams that play real games (at least simulated games). We also need real mangers who interact with the players, the media, and the ownership. The press button to praise or unnerve a team once a month is weak. And stats, my god, does FIFA need stats and history.

# 6 JayStarr @ 10/21/15 10:08 PM
Being able to manage multiple teams, like 4 or 5 ,and being able to have all leagues playing at once is what fifa needs to do to improve their Manager mode/ career mode. If the leagues don't run simultaneously it's an empty experience period. At least have the options of running 8 leagues at the same time plus internationals. This way you can get stories and values for a lot more players. Really adding to the experience. Adding a manager database would also be amazing. Toss in a media show with a daily wrap up with the commentators predicting games, discussing game stories and transfers.. Player values, national teams plot lines ect. That would be the experience we all want. I know it's going to take some serious elbow grease, but come EA! The world needs it. With so much profit that comes in with sales worldwide this can be the one thing you can do for the people who support you. One can dream...

# 7 fearwhatnow @ 10/22/15 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryClay1844
It will never be a proper career mode until they get the b and youth teams that play real games (at least simulated games). We also need real mangers who interact with the players, the media, and the ownership. The press button to praise or unnerve a team once a month is weak. And stats, my god, does FIFA need stats and history.
They could easily take some of these features from the abandoned FIFA Manager game. But they have the majority of the devs working on the online portion of the game.

# 8 orion523 @ 10/22/15 09:42 AM
I completely agree with everything you've said, especially, especially, especially the first. Why on earth we're still "playing in a vacuum" I have no idea, but it really needs to be fixed ASAP.

# 9 taybos96 @ 10/22/15 12:52 PM
I would put emphasis on the first two. What was said in the greater immersion part just shows how little form matters in this game. It doesn't matter that the 75 striker you sign in the winter window has no goals on the season because the only thing that matters is his overall rating. Career mode works too much as an offline ultimate team instead of an actual managerial sim. The improved AI logic is more frustrating to me than the immersion problems. I started a player career as a striker with Wigan Athletic, giving them 6 strikers to use in a two striker formation. By the end of the first summer window, they had 11 strikers, and every one they bought was under 70 and over the age of 27 except for one. By the end of the winter window, it was up to 13, and they hadn't sold a single player. The team didn't sign a non-striker until the next season. I expected improvement on this front (because they freakin' advertised it) but am pissed to see nothing has really changed.

# 10 snyder5man @ 10/22/15 01:33 PM
1) Owners mode.
This would allow players to stay at your favorite club. It would solve the "no firing" complaint. You would be about expand your stadium, fan base, markets, and sponsors.
2) Real Coaches.
The right coach might have the ability to pull huge stars to your club. The would have an affect on the dynamics and how you fill your team.
3) Chemistry.
Why does FUT have it and career mode doesn't?! This would reward players and coaches who are familiar with each other and/or with the same style of play.
4) Youth games.
If more games can't be added, place sim only games. This would allow for playing time and a more positive morale for the youth/reserve players.
5) Logs.......any log.
Transfers, stats, trophies, league awards

# 11 godquality01 @ 10/22/15 04:29 PM
Commentary also need some major rework.
You win a cup competition in a year and there would be no mention of it the next year.
Or your striker was the highest scorer from the previous season but started the new season not scoring ala Harry Kane. The commentary need to be made more lively.
Am also tired of hearing the same crap about my formation before kickoff.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

# 12 Jerre_89 @ 10/23/15 06:20 AM
I'm a big fan of the idea of having a reserve or youth team. Less guys complaining and chances for young guys to improve.

I love the trainig option but imo it's a bit too OP.

# 13 Dangerzone_5 @ 10/24/15 12:06 AM
Random transfers for your player or getting thrown on a random team to start and having to develop through that teams youth academy. I like to put the MLS in FL2 and watch them move up but my $37.5 million player should be sold immediately from Crew SC so they can better allocate that money. I like the idea of seeing what teams are willing to pay for you to player there without having to tell my coach 4 times I want a transfer before it is granted.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

# 14 flo182 @ 10/25/15 07:14 PM
The first two points are so important to keep this game alive for singleplayer fans. But we've been asking for these features for a long time now and EA doesnt give a **** and the magazines and websites rating FIFA every year also don't seem to play more than 10-15 games otherwise they'd have noticed that the game has the same flaws for 4-5 years now.

# 15 toneloc129 @ 10/28/15 02:02 AM
None of this will happen. Same story every year. No faith in this dev team

# 16 3oh2 @ 10/28/15 02:53 PM
I'm a stats guy. I want to know how I stack up with other managers last and present. Am I closing in on most wins in club history? Does another manager have my number? How did my ST play on loan? Did he score often, was he injured, did he barely play?

If I'm looking to make a move to a different club, do they have unhappy players? Does their YA need revamping? Have they made moves in the transfer windows or mostly loaned and brought up YA players? I'd like a more detailed overview while browsing jobs or before I accept a job.

I'd also really enjoy a longer MM. I want to play in more World Cups and tournaments throughout my career.

More International teams. I know its hard, but if I'm the manager of a lowly Norwegian club, allow me to be offered Trinidad & Tobago or another squad just below the major ones.

Along with more International teams, more areas to scout. Wales, Caribbean region (group it all together), etc.

And I agree, make the Manager wages mean something. Whether you add social interactions or just the ability to lure top players easier based on how much I earn (since it should mean I'm awesome).

# 17 3oh2 @ 10/29/15 03:03 PM
I'd also like to see the addition of "dual citizen" players. We've seen many players with the USMNT that chose to play for the US since they had citizenship and we from other countries. I think it would be a neat addition for International managers to have some guys (a low number, nothing crazy) that have the ability to chose which national team to play for.

It could be something like your scout notifies you they found someone who could play for you and you can let the player know you'd like for them to play for you. Have it set up so its not always definite that they choose you and have factors that are may important to them (think of NCAA Football recruiting) and if its a good fit for them.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.