Home
Feature Article
FIFA And Its Missing Mode

When I think back to the most enjoyable sports gaming experiences of my life I vividly recall two games:

-NCAA Football 11 Online Dynasty
-College Hoops 2K8 Offline Career Mode

Despite being wholly different games and sports, they both provided a level of enjoyment that's rarely been matched. College Hoops 2K8 gave players one of the deepest offline career modes to date. You could start your career in a small conference before using the Coaching Carousel to get your dream job. NCAA 11 took a fairly decent offline dynasty and took it all online. Battling for recruits and conference supremacy was ratcheted up a couple levels in an online setting.

So yeah, at this point you might be asking what this article is doing in the footie forum. Well, it leads me to what I believe is the biggest omission in FIFA: Online Manager Mode.

Online Manager Mode

FIFA has historically been a game where once you learn the CPU’s tendencies, you can quickly dominate and rack up trophy after trophy. With the ability to use sites such as sofifa.com, you can scour the lesser leagues for those potential stars, stockpiling them at cut-rate prices until they develop. At that point, you can either sell them for a huge profit or play them in the starting 11 and reap the benefits.

There are no transfer-wage battles between you and a rival club, only niggling transfer fee and contract wage negotiations that rarely see a player not sign with your club. Even with a mid-table side, you can quickly overcome budget shortcomings by smartly wheeling and dealing your way to top place finishes, long cup runs and the eventual budget increases that come with them. While still enjoyable, league rivals often drift by the wayside as you leave them stuck in the mud.

What if you could replace a couple of those CPU-led sides with a few of your buddies? Playing with trusted friends eliminates most negatives that come with random online matches where people often attempt cheap exploits in an attempt to win at all costs. Playing with friends of similar skill levels would also stop you from coasting to league titles, domestic cups and European glory. If you’re like me, most of your buddies are fans of the big English clubs (Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, and so on). Starting a Career Mode with one of those giants usually becomes too easy too quickly -- that’s if you don’t get fired your first year as you get better at the game. Imagine competing with your buddies for the next Brazilian or Argentinean superstar as you prepare for a derby match against your mate.

Implementation is often the reason why we hear that Online Manager Mode does not exist as of yet, and to be frank, it’s a lame excuse. Sure, things such as Transfer Deadline Day and a schedule that could include games on any day of the week would make advancing the days hard. However, games such as Madden, Football Manager and NBA 2K all have robust online career modes -- not to mention NCAA Football which debuted the mode nearly five years ago. Timeframes (for example, three days to play, scout, train, and so on) during which the player must perform their managerial duties could be implemented to help advance the lengthy soccer seasons.

EA Canada could surely use of that FIFA Ultimate Team cash to fund the development of a new mode that would likely require additional programmers and infrastructure upgrades/hardening. I highly doubt that pulling players away from Ultimate Team is something EA would go for, so if it were too debut in FIFA 17, I would expect micro transactions to rear their ugly head in some way (though to be fair, EA has been good about not doing it with other online career modes).

With that being said, in the age of online gaming, the potential for a mode like this would most certainly take off and get people playing the game even longer, which is the goal for any developer.

How interested would you be in a FIFA Online Manager Mode?

FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mfp @ 11/12/15 10:16 AM
Quote:
How interested would you be in a FIFA Online Manager Mode?
Asked this question a few years ago, I would've said I'd had zero interest. My preference has always been that they focus on building a deep and satisfying offline single player mode before expanding to online.

That preference remains the same today, however I've lost all confidence that EA will provide a satisfying, deep offline experience. Ever since they switched the system from MM to CM, none of the major features have truly impressed. Player growth is just the most recent example of a shallow, poorly conceived and implemented feature.

So maybe an online CM is the way forward. I don't know. But I wouldn't want an online CM that's dependent upon playing with friends, because as someone who's in their 30s with fewer and fewer "gaming" friends, that'd really suck. Just like Destiny sucks for us older folks who struggle to coordinate gaming time with friends.

I'm also not a fan of an online CM mode that would require playing multiplayer, as anyone who's played Seasons or FUT multiplayer can attest to how bad that experience can be. Plus it'd just give further excuse for EA to not emphasize improving the quality of the AI and single player gameplay.

Personally I think I'd rather see them introduce microtransactions or some type of money-making device to fund CM development. I play FIFA hundreds of hours over a year's time, so I have no problems paying a little extra for a better single player mode, while we can clearly see the benefit that FUT's cash-making quality has on its priority for development.

In the end, I'm not as opposed to the idea of an online CM as I was a few years ago, but that's less about excitement for an online mode and more because I'm just frustrated by the lack of CM's progress over the years.

(And if we're talking about favorite single player experiences, my favorite is still PES's when it was at its peak. I'd rather EA model CM on that than any online modes. Not to mention I'd take PES's new chemistry system over FIFA's new player growth feature any day.)

# 2 goillini03 @ 11/12/15 01:12 PM
I would love this feature. Actually, not having one is the reason I skipped this year. I have 3 friends that play madden cfm with, and this would be just as successfull with us.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

# 3 PPerfect_CJ @ 11/12/15 01:39 PM
How about working on the OFFLINE Manager Mode, first?

# 4 JayD @ 11/12/15 01:54 PM
Maybe bringing manager mode online EA will finally improve it as a whole.

# 5 dubcity @ 11/12/15 02:11 PM
You read my mind by mentioning micro transactions near the end. The only way they would do online franchise/CM is if they can find a way to get more people to purchase FIFA points. Stuff like increasing increasing team budget, adding custom kits/teams, signing Legends, etc, would be available for a cost.

This mode won't happen, though, because EA wouldn't make enough money on it. UT is the bar, and franchise wouldn't come close to that. Sucks how sports gaming industry has changed like that, but that's how it is.

# 6 HenryClay1844 @ 11/12/15 02:52 PM
They already have a perfect micro transaction online head to head, it is FUT. A ream CM online is unworkable as you couldn't get people to play as smaller teams or you'd have something like FUT where you'd have to pay money to be Barca or Real Madrid and if you didn't pay you'd be Levante or Getafe. Plus there would be no way to have people playing a real league schedule against real teams. Please just make CM like the FIFA manager game that was canceled a few years ago. I'm bored to death with FUT and with CM the way it is. I"ve played more Football manager this year than FIFA.

# 7 KG @ 11/12/15 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
WTF IS A NIGGLING TRANSFER FEE? Because ****** means ignorant in the Websters Dictionary. However we know the use in the USA. PLEASE EXPLAIN

Niggling = annoying/irritating/bothersome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 8 SVCbearcat10 @ 11/13/15 07:38 AM
I feel like EA is smart to avoid a connected manager mode because the scale will never be enough. If all human controlled teams have to be in the same league (eg Premeir, MLS, La Liga), then it will it slaughtered online. People will want to be able to control any team in any league, which I'm not sure how feasible that is. Soccer is very unique compared to American sports, because you're not always confined to the same pool of teams.

# 9 DBMcGee3 @ 11/13/15 09:01 AM
For me, the "missing mode" is the team practice arena. Can anyone please, for the love of god, explain to me why they would remove something like that?

# 10 gen86g @ 11/13/15 09:16 AM
Missing or if u want, mistake, is splitting SP and MP of BAP, or Pro Clubs.
One player, one mission.
Harder and longer accomplishments and here we go, best mode is back.

Second, they could put something like Jordan Mode, personally best mode in games, where we would playing some historic matches.

Third, playable match day is missing.

They are reading forums 100%, and must make a plan how to charge our good ideas over as many possible years...

via LG G2 & Tapatalk

# 11 KG @ 11/13/15 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I feel like EA is smart to avoid a connected manager mode because the scale will never be enough. If all human controlled teams have to be in the same league (eg Premeir, MLS, La Liga), then it will it slaughtered online. People will want to be able to control any team in any league, which I'm not sure how feasible that is. Soccer is very unique compared to American sports, because you're not always confined to the same pool of teams.
Yeah Implementation would be challenging but they could limit it to the same league at first and then possibly expand from there as they get a better hold on the tech.

BTW, Good to see another poster from Alexandria on here!

# 12 mfp @ 11/13/15 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Yeah Implementation would be challenging but they could limit it to the same league at first and then possibly expand from there as they get a better hold on the tech.

BTW, Good to see another poster from Alexandria on here!
Rather than the parameters be by league, they could also do it by star rating.

And I was born in Alexandria hospital fwiw.

# 13 Saintslfc13 @ 11/13/15 04:46 PM
Quote:
I fully understand, thus the rain I put the sedition of the primary word, the fact the query tried to get away with putting that in there as if there aren't any educated people reading these articles is rediculous. The fact that the company approved it is disgusting and shows a lack of empathy and discernment.
Stay classy OS stay Classy.
Niggling isn't a racist word, nor has it ever been.

# 14 jvalverde88 @ 11/14/15 01:32 AM
Quote:
Niggling and Niggardly are words associated with the other word. It's all good, I'm not trying to educate anyone, it's clear there is no concern or 2 ucks Steve O and staff give. I'll exercise my right to no longer give my time to the site.

And that's how it should be. People should be able to openly display their racism, discrimination and prejudices. If it's a business, then customers have a right to not eat there or shop there, same with people; Kevin Groves understands this word completely, and I'm sure no one reading this article has ever used it for the lack of need. However you've never used the n word in its essence for the lack of need or better alternative choices. He's within his rights to use the word, as well as the sites rules and parameters of content posting, it's on people like me to say something about it, and make the best decision after. No need to sue or anything. Like what we see in society today.

Those who don't see an issue, why would you?

But after two posts from me and nothing changed, speaks volumes about the concern given to my complaint.
What!? Those two words have absolutely nothing to do with the "N" word.

# 15 redsox4evur @ 11/14/15 09:31 PM
Quote:
Niggling and Niggardly are words associated with the other word. It's all good, I'm not trying to educate anyone, it's clear there is no concern or 2 ucks Steve O and staff give. I'll exercise my right to no longer give my time to the site.

And that's how it should be. People should be able to openly display their racism, discrimination and prejudices. If it's a business, then customers have a right to not eat there or shop there, same with people; Kevin Groves understands this word completely, and I'm sure no one reading this article has ever used it for the lack of need. However you've never used the n word in its essence for the lack of need or better alternative choices. He's within his rights to use the word, as well as the sites rules and parameters of content posting, it's on people like me to say something about it, and make the best decision after. No need to sue or anything. Like what we see in society today.

Those who don't see an issue, why would you?

But after two posts from me and nothing changed, speaks volumes about the concern given to my complaint.
Niggling: cause slight but persistent annoyance, discomfort, or anxiety. Or find fault with (someone) in a petty way.

Niggardly: not generous; stingy. Or in a stingy or meager manner.

# 16 dubcity @ 11/14/15 10:04 PM
Different root word, different everything. It's bizarre we're even talking about this, lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.