Home
Feature Article
A Beautiful Game: The Starter's Guide to Soccer

You read the buzz regarding FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer (PES). Then you started to wake up early on Saturday mornings to check out English Premier League games. Slowly but surely the beautiful game dug its claws into you.

If that is the case for you, now is a great time to take advantage of sales and ply your trade on the pitch. But before you do that, it’s best to have a solid understanding of what will incur over the next 90 virtual minutes.

For simplicity's sake, I will separate this article into two areas:

  • Before the match
  • During the match

Before The Match


Before you even kick the ball, it’s important to understand the basics. When starting a game up, one of your first decisions will center on what formation to utilize. In a nutshell, a formation is how your players will line up on the field.

The great thing about this game is there is no right or wrong answer as to which formation you utilize. To familiarize yourself with formations, take a peek at this handy guide as it will set you off down the right path.

Once you finalize what formation to use, it’s vital to know your players' strengths and weaknesses. Emphasizing their strong points while minimizing their weaknesses is a sound strategy for any sport, especially soccer. Real-life knowledge definitely helps in this area, but with such a large player database available it’s nearly impossible to know everyone.

Instead, take some time to research clubs you already like -- even checking out YouTube videos or live matches will help you understand your squad. If that does not help, the game boasts numerous ratings that can generally tell you how those players will perform if correctly utilized.

Scouting the opposition is just as important to your success as knowing your own players. Identifying dangerous players and where they line up will go a long way towards finding success. In a game where form (recent performances) means everything, it’s helpful to check out the opposition's most recent results to see if you’re going to be playing a team performing at its best.

Now that you’ve set your squad up while peeking at your opponent's team sheet, it’s time to take the pitch.


During The Match


The basics in soccer have not changed much in the past 100 years. While the implementation of the basics have been tweaked to a certain extent, the game is still about attempting to put the ball into the back of the other team’s net while preventing them from doing the same on your goal. How you achieve that is the essence of the beautiful game.

Like many American sports, soccer is not a rigid game. The flow of the game changes as you progress. Managers must react to these changes. Do you stick to your game plan (also referred to as tactics), or do you mix things up a little bit? Part of your decision will depend on what has transpired so far in the game, but the ability to inject change could completely alter the match.

Conversely, sticking to your guns could also prove fruitful if your initial tactics were correct. In other words, there is a complicated or simple way to look at solutions, and you are the key variable who must decide what direction to go.

Do not be ashamed to use the game’s features to your advantage. Both FIFA and PES offer helpful elements. Both games include a radar, an interactive map detailing your player’s movements. There are also a ton of assistance levels (passing and shooting to name a few) to help you acclimate to the game’s controls.

If that’s not enough, both titles feature tutorials to help build your skills and comfort level. The sport’s action can be quite fast at times, so “stick skills” and the ability to think “one second ahead” can be the key to unlocking success. Time and practice will help with these areas.

When all things fail going forward, you can always rely on a stout defense to help you avoid defeat. A major way to prevent the opposition from scoring is to not chase the ball. As often is the case with youth soccer, your natural inclination will be to blindly chase the ball in an attempt to win it back. At the professional level, this strategy will leave your players vulnerable and fatigued.

Instead of wildly chasing the ball, stick to your formation and close down on players with the ball when they enter your zone. Much like in the NFL, when your defense is stretched, space and holes emerge. Both are deadly in soccer where one chance could determine the outcome of the match.

Another key piece of advice would be to choose your tackles wisely. Constantly mashing the tackle buttons (standing and sliding) could lead to an accumulation of fouls, resulting in either a player being sent off or giving up a free kick in a dangerous area. While there are certain instances where a "professional foul" is wise, it’s generally a good strategy to avoid pounding the tackle buttons as a mistimed tackle could also lead to your defender getting beaten. All-in-all, a sound strategy is to mix up your aggressive play with periods of containment (zone-based principles).


For some of the more die-hard fans out there, what general strategies would you recommend to those wanting to become a better FIFA or PES player?

 


FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RayRay34 @ 02/17/16 04:07 PM
Great read!

As someone who actually used soccer games to get into the sport years ago I say that the video game is a great way to understand the sport. I learned the basics from the games and then was able to understand matches more.

As for strategy I have one rebuttal. Use the tackle button.... Most soccer games (pes for sure) just require you to hold it down and you will automatically mark your man....great for newbies getting into the sport. Also not many fouls are called on PES so using the tackle button more frequently might make the matches more enjoyable for the beginning player. Then as you understand the sport more the tactics and flow will come. Crossing the ball, spreading the field, clearing.....

Honestly over the course of the last 6 years or so soccer has actually overtaken baseball and hockey as my 3rd favorite sport to watch besides US football and College Basketball
 
# 2 Fraser G. @ 02/17/16 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay34
Great read!

As someone who actually used soccer games to get into the sport years ago I say that the video game is a great way to understand the sport. I learned the basics from the games and then was able to understand matches more.

As for strategy I have one rebuttal. Use the tackle button.... Most soccer games (pes for sure) just require you to hold it down and you will automatically mark your man....great for newbies getting into the sport. Also not many fouls are called on PES so using the tackle button more frequently might make the matches more enjoyable for the beginning player. Then as you understand the sport more the tactics and flow will come. Crossing the ball, spreading the field, clearing.....

Honestly over the course of the last 6 years or so soccer has actually overtaken baseball and hockey as my 3rd favorite sport to watch besides US football and College Basketball
Just to pick up on your point even further, I'd say that you definitely want to use the tackle button, but there's a time and a place for it. Wildly sliding in, or even performing a standing tackle at the wrong time can open up gaps in your defence and leave you vulnerable. Established FIFA veterans will punish this every time, so it's got to be used sparingly like Kevin says.

PES is a little different in that you hold the button down as you say, which I feel is an outdated method of implementing defending mechanics, and hopefully they'll improve this in the future.

Really, it's all about getting practice in and learning how the game works.
 
# 3 FM_Prospect @ 02/17/16 08:19 PM
Will give this article a read when I'm home!...

I definitely got into soccer through Fifa...
 
# 4 vinaa23 @ 02/17/16 09:13 PM
As someone who played soccer games for all his life, what I can tell you all is: don't rush things when you have ball possession. Turnovers are way more common than in football or basketball, but they can be equally deadly if your defense is open or if it happens in a dangerous zone (mainly: your side of the pitch). Build up, take your time, pass the ball around, wait for the holes to open up and then make a run for it. You may notice that in higher difficulties this is the way the CPU play and there's a reason for it.
Also, something that's true in soccer games but in real life matches don't happen all that often: lobs. Abuse the L1 + Triangle (LB + Y) command, mainly in PES. If you time it perfectly (and, after all, you're practicing for it, right?) you'll leave your striker in front of the goal with just the goalkeeper to beat and that's a scenario you really should look for.
That's it for me. Great read as usual.
 
# 5 DBMcGee3 @ 02/19/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser G.
Just to pick up on your point even further, I'd say that you definitely want to use the tackle button, but there's a time and a place for it. Wildly sliding in, or even performing a standing tackle at the wrong time can open up gaps in your defence and leave you vulnerable. Established FIFA veterans will punish this every time, so it's got to be used sparingly like Kevin says.

PES is a little different in that you hold the button down as you say, which I feel is an outdated method of implementing defending mechanics, and hopefully they'll improve this in the future.

Really, it's all about getting practice in and learning how the game works.
I rarely use the standard tackle in FIFA. It's just too slow and leaves you too exposed if you miss. I've had better success just trying to run my defender through the ball. I do occasionally use the slide tackle, but only to try and break up a pass, or if I have the dribbler pinned against the sideline.

In PES you can tackle all you want, they'll rarely call fouls and even more rarely will you see a card. I've still never seen a red in PES, not one.
 
# 6 Fraser G. @ 02/19/16 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I rarely use the standard tackle in FIFA. It's just too slow and leaves you too exposed if you miss. I've had better success just trying to run my defender through the ball. I do occasionally use the slide tackle, but only to try and break up a pass, or if I have the dribbler pinned against the sideline.

In PES you can tackle all you want, they'll rarely call fouls and even more rarely will you see a card. I've still never seen a red in PES, not one.
I play exactly the same way. Standing tackles have never been effective for me, I anticipate the run and intercept the ball like you do. I use the slide tackle when I think there's at least an 80% chance of executing it successfully based on the situation I'm in. Either that, or I'll use it if I'm feeling particularly ambitious and I want to catch the opponent off guard when they think they've got time on the ball.
 
# 7 KG @ 02/20/16 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I rarely use the standard tackle in FIFA. It's just too slow and leaves you too exposed if you miss. I've had better success just trying to run my defender through the ball. I do occasionally use the slide tackle, but only to try and break up a pass, or if I have the dribbler pinned against the sideline.



In PES you can tackle all you want, they'll rarely call fouls and even more rarely will you see a card. I've still never seen a red in PES, not one.

I wish they would change the standing tackles for that reason. The game shouldn't auto-tackle for you (or at least give us an assistance option). If you run through an opposing player it should be a foul. More strategy in tackling would go along way towards a more realistic defensive mindset.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.