Home
Feature Article
Managing Lines in NHL 16

Managing your lines effectively is something that's often overlooked by some of the more casual NHL gamers out there, but it can be the difference between a win and a loss against skilled opposition. It also helps to go through your team strategy options before you dive into some of the more advanced tactics in this game, but that’s a topic for another day. For now, here are some entry-level ways you can improve your line management in NHL 16.

First Line

It goes without saying that you will probably want your best and most skilled players on this line, including a sniper that can take advantage of your creative dominance. The default and arguably most efficient line strategy here is Overload, which relies on a player's skill to overpower the defense. If you want a different look, you can set up with a Behind the Net approach, and use your speed and offensive awareness to create scoring chances by drawing the defensemen out of position.

As you delve further into line strategies, try modifying the first slider so you're carrying the puck as much as possible. On a personal level, I often favor a cycled offensive approach that keys in on the puck control and passing abilities of my players. The most important defensive slider relates to holding the puck or pinching. I tend to keep this slider somewhere near the middle, but if you've got some quick defensemen that can recover after a potential error, you can experiment by raising it a little more.

Second Line

In the example below, I have gone with a couple of two-way forwards and a sniper for my second line because I want to utilize the Overload strategy. Alternatively, you could swap Higgins for Hansen and switch to a Crash the Net formula, taking advantage of the line's ability to force deflections and rebounds in the slot.

Again, forget about dumping the puck as it’s simply not effective unless it’s a key part of your strategy. I would also recommend an even mixture of shooting and cycling, with a slight emphasis on shooting, just to compensate for the difference in skill between the first and second lines.

Third Line

An interesting way to build your third line is to experiment with speed by adopting a Behind the Net tactic where you focus on dumping the puck. Otherwise, you will probably want to look at putting some grinders on this line, much like I did in the example above. If you do go with grinders, put their strength to use with a Crash the Net style. You can also continue to go with Overload if your players’ puck skill and sense attributes are still hovering around the 85 mark at this point.

I would also look to shoot more often with your defensemen, especially if you intend to Crash the Net. This is also the one line where I would advise you to hold the line as much as you can, rather than pinching to keep the puck in the zone. As a final point, unless you deploy the aforementioned Behind the Net and dump routine, continue to carry the puck into the zone.

Fourth Line

Your fourth line will typically be built around grinders, so it’s definitely worth going to the net and making your strength count. I like to dump the puck a little more on the fourth line and rely on my skaters to intimidate the defense. I would not go overboard when cycling the puck unless you're confident in your skaters' offensive abilities.

Power-Play Units, Penalty-Kill Units And More

It goes without saying that you will want creative players on the power play along with some defensive-minded penalty killers, but there are a few additional options on the team strategies page that can assist further.

When setting the power-play strategy, I always stick to Overload. Penalty killing is a little different, and it's good to go with the Passive Box option, which reduces the number of opposition shots. Large Box is another popular choice, commanding your players to attack the puck carrier.

For 4-on-4 and 3-on-3, I like to stick with a balanced two-way setup as much as possible, and that goes for defense as well as offense. For the extra attacker, try sticking a playmaker or sniper in that role, depending on your style of play.

Additional Line Strategy Options

Finding the sweet spot between "efficiency" and "energy" is entirely dependent on the strength of your team as a whole, but it’s best to raise this slider just a little bit on each line. I find that hovering it around the middle on the first line, and continuing to raise it by one notch for the second, third and fourth lines is the ideal strategy. Otherwise, favor the "efficiency" option on your best lines and push it towards "energy" for your weaker ones.

In terms of blocking the puck, this is the rare example in which I always max out the slider. Blocking is almost always a benefit in NHL 16, especially since injuries as a result of a blocked shot are very rare. In my experience, I have found that you will rarely give up screened goals as a direct result of doing this.

Remember, line strategies are impacted by your team strategies as well, which are just as important to get right. Check out Jayson Young’s NHL 15 piece for a quick look at some great team strategies that are still relevant in this year’s game.

There are all sorts of ways to implement effective line management. What's your ideal setup in NHL 16?

NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Sparkles @ 02/18/16 01:18 PM
Kinda new with NHL GM mode, one thing i don't understand are waiver contracts. Why can i barely send players down to minors, and bring players up. I like shuffling through players and I really hate being limited to 2-3 players in the NHL to send down to the minors

# 2 actionhank @ 02/18/16 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
Kinda new with NHL GM mode, one thing i don't understand are waiver contracts. Why can i barely send players down to minors, and bring players up. I like shuffling through players and I really hate being limited to 2-3 players in the NHL to send down to the minors
It just depends on the type of contract the player has. I'm not sure of the real life specifics, but generally, in game, a player on a 2-way contract will be able to go up and down. If you sign a free agent, that's one of the things you can try to sign them to, though I think players usually don't want to. Rookies also generally don't have to clear waivers, so they can be sent down more easily, without fear of losing them.

# 3 GlennN @ 02/18/16 01:59 PM
Am I missing something or can you not match lines in NHL 16? I don't recall seeing who my opponent is putting out there, even when I am the home team, so I have no opportunity to match lines. Is there a setting for this or am I somehow missing it?

# 4 Gangrel @ 02/18/16 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
It just depends on the type of contract the player has. I'm not sure of the real life specifics, but generally, in game, a player on a 2-way contract will be able to go up and down. If you sign a free agent, that's one of the things you can try to sign them to, though I think players usually don't want to. Rookies also generally don't have to clear waivers, so they can be sent down more easily, without fear of losing them.
Two way deals are for lower salaries in the ahl, they have nothing to do with waiver eligibility, though they usually go hand in hand. But in some cases, you can have two way guys with waivers, and vice versa.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 5 snc237 @ 02/18/16 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Am I missing something or can you not match lines in NHL 16? I don't recall seeing who my opponent is putting out there, even when I am the home team, so I have no opportunity to match lines. Is there a setting for this or am I somehow missing it?
No you can't see line match ups.

# 6 jyoung @ 02/19/16 02:14 AM
Quote:
The developers have stated in several interviews that line matching isn't included in the game because they believe everyone online will just exit and reenter the matchup screen until they get to be the home team and they can have the last change advantage.

# 7 Pythons80 @ 02/19/16 02:51 AM
But you can't even match lines in offline play. The NHL series has been a dud since 2011 IMO.

# 8 GlennN @ 02/19/16 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The developers have stated in several interviews that line matching isn't included in the game because they believe everyone online will just exit and reenter the matchup screen until they get to be the home team and they can have the last change advantage.
I don't understand the thought process as it applies to offline play. I guess this is an indication of where the priorities lie.

# 9 Gangrel @ 02/19/16 02:06 PM
I think it's because they have no way to split gameplay between offline and online.

I would love to have different camera directions for off and online, but that's gone now too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 10 bukktown @ 02/19/16 07:34 PM
Am I wrong to say that "behind the net" strategy leaves you at a distinct disadvantage on the back check in this game?

It seems that way to me.

# 11 half-fast @ 02/21/16 12:14 AM
Quote:
If I recall from previous NHL games(bc I havent played 16 much), the away team has to choose their line first, so it may not be a huge interface thing, but if you look at which line the ai is bringing on after a play, you can choose your line then, if youre home. At least thats how it was done.

# 12 actionhank @ 02/25/16 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
If I recall from previous NHL games(bc I havent played 16 much), the away team has to choose their line first, so it may not be a huge interface thing, but if you look at which line the ai is bringing on after a play, you can choose your line then, if youre home. At least thats how it was done.
That definitely was a feature, but I don't believe it's in the game currently, and I don't know that it was in NHL15 either.

Edit: That said, I don't think it was ever particularly well done (like line changes in general in the game). It flashed up briefly, but gave you all of about 3 seconds to choose your line before the animation for the faceoff started, and whatever line was going was sent out.

At the same time, with the way the AI plays, line matching sadly doesn't matter much. Even in Be a GM, I'm more focused on which line is rested, then I might go for an offensive line if I'm getting an offensive zone start.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.