Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K16: MyTeam's Charms Fade Away

Has a friend ever told you about a popular song you have yet to hear? He tells you that it’s tearing up the charts and he can’t figure out why because it’s so terrible. So one day, you’re driving home from work and the song finally comes on the radio. You’re ready to agree with your friend, but you find yourself bobbing your head and thinking, “you know, this song ain’t that bad.” You’re almost embarrassed to admit it, but you actually like the song.

Well, that’s the frame of mind I was in when I wrote this article three months ago. And now that I’ve listened to the song a few times, I now understand where my friend was coming from.

In the three months that have passed since that article posted, I have spent roughly $60 in VC to beef up my MyTeam roster. Here is what that money has gotten me:

PG Damon Stoudamire (ROTY)
SG Klay Thompson
SF Jimmy Butler
PF LaMarcus Aldridge
C Ben Wallace (DPOTY)

No diamond cards. No amethyst cards. Nothing. And, look, it should be noted that this lineup is a lot of fun to play with game to game. But what about the cards the 2K team likes to advertise? What about the weekly #FBF and #TBT releases? What about prime Dirk and prime Kobe? Given the number of packs I have opened and the amount of money I have spent, shouldn’t I have at least a few top-tier cards?

And that’s my biggest problem with this mode. You either have to be extremely lucky or extremely wealthy to build a team of your favorite legends. I say lucky because I understand I can only speak for myself here, and I’m certain there are others who have spent even less than me and lucked into some top cards. I just know that I was not that lucky. And I also say wealthy because I’m sure if I was willing to dump even more cash into this mode, I would eventually get a few diamond cards. But if $60 was not enough to get me anything good, I’m not about to spend more to find out what is enough.

To be fair, you have the option to spend MyTeam points instead of VC. You earn these points by completing various challenges and through in-game accomplishments. The problem is that it takes a long time to earn enough points to buy even the basic pack, let alone any of the more expensive packs. And even after receiving a good amount of points after getting my 250th card, I decided to spend it all on a bunch of packs instead of going after one or two players on the auction block. That strategy didn’t work, as it only got me one gold player, and he was a duplicate.

Listen, I wanted to like MyTeam. And while I absolutely did get a lot of joy out of the mode, that joy was extremely short-lived. More than that, the temporary joyous sensation was rooted in what turned out to be a false sense of hope. After each pack I opened left me frustrated with bronze player after bronze player, I thought, “brighter days are ahead -- eventually I will get some amethyst or diamond-level players.” But that wasn't the case.

The problem is, what incentive does 2K have to fix the mode? In a perfect world, VC would be eliminated, but we know that is not going to happen. I think the most realistic expectation is a combination of improved pack odds along with significantly lower pack prices, but will that happen? As with most things in life, this will ultimately be consumer-driven. If the 2K community grows frustrated enough that there is a noticeable dip in the revenue generated by MyTeam, then perhaps they would be open to these suggestions. But my fear is that the mode is generating a sufficient amount of revenue that would make these changes highly unlikely.

Have you had a similar experience with this mode? Or do you find yourself still coming back to MyTeam?

NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ballin2k0 @ 03/11/16 02:19 PM
this is so funny i just got done playing around 3 or 4 hours.....everything i do revolving around myteam heres what happened.....played mycareer to get 7,500 vs opened a steph curry pack got ricky peice thats a quck sell 850mt...bought a ad pack a little later got a free agent bronze...i might add that the ad packs have been recently nuked of all badges or anything of value dont believe me try em......played a game of gauntlet it was a chore but i won he had 3... 3 point shooters diamond crawford.....rewards allen and dynamic d green...got 2 picks on the board and got a jersey...no value.....and a broze contract...this is why i refuse to buy nba 2k17...i paid 60 already for the game...wtf is 2ks problem...i geuss my time is worth nothing to them except a bronze contract..

# 2 reginald_rush @ 03/11/16 03:14 PM
I totally agree, I have spent hundreds of dollars on MyTeam (pack whore). My lineup is decent, but I can't stand the odds. I pulled James Harden and Lebron James early on, I sold Harden to pick up other pieces for my squad. Got lucky and pulled Anthony Davis, sold him and picked up Steph Curry. I spent, what felt like $1,000,000 to get Anthony Davis again and worked the block to get some DPOTY players and the ROTY Michael Jordan. I know it seems like I should be happy with my team, but after spending well over $300 on a game that I spent $90 (Michael Jordan edition) for, I feel like an idiot. I think the pack odds should be adjusted to reward people that buy with MT over VC. I also think the promo packs should only be purchased with MT, with better odds at getting cards from the promo.

# 3 bwright25 @ 03/11/16 03:21 PM
What is with everyone all of sudden wanting handouts in UT modes? Specifically Myteam?

Bronze players? Are you opening up the cheapest packs? TBT packs and League VIPs never give bronze players.

Why havent you tried to get any of the free amerhyst players you recieve from beating the cpu challenges. Why was that not mentioned at all. You can have a stacked team without opening up a single pack.

Kinda disappointed in OS with this "Poor me and my pack luck" article.

# 4 x_NBA_x @ 03/11/16 04:22 PM
Anyone who complains about pack luck etc on MyTeam, should really give FIFA Ultimate Team a run...

# 5 peeinratt @ 03/11/16 04:40 PM
As a longtime mycareer player on basketball games I decided to give myteam a try for the first time in NBA2k16. It started out super fun, having historical players mixed in with the current stars is tough to beat but it has grown a bit boring for me. Getting good players is a crap shoot and playing online is a quit-fest of cheese. I think this mode has a lot of potential but pack prices and odds really are out of control.

Thanks for all the great articles OS!

# 6 MoultonHawk @ 03/11/16 04:44 PM
It's also annoying when you're working and all the unemployed, it jids are opening timely packs mid day and getting the ultimate rewards and posting on Twitter one after the other. Time of day shouldn't matter. Ronnie 2K used to give out codes for,My Team, again time of day shouldn"t matter. Why punish the working and reward the kids and the unemployed ? Haha. I've just started to open packs recently. I only bother with the Curry packs, everything else I've earned through gaunlet, and card collecting rewards. Play Gauntlet article guy.

# 7 jethrotull @ 03/11/16 06:15 PM
This mode is a joke. If you want more money put more classic teams in there for purchase or the ability to edit leagues, teams, so we can play throwback franchises or MyGM. Just a money grab

# 8 ballin2k0 @ 03/11/16 07:21 PM
here was the rest of my day on nba 2k16 ps4 myteam around 4 or 5 people quit on me in a row i had about 2000 mt to start before i ever played one game....by the end i have like 500 mt because if someone quits on you in the first minute or quarter...you end up losing mt because you only get what you make in a game so i ended up unable to play anymore games...i never got to earn any and had to pay for contracts..

# 9 jake_h_8 @ 03/12/16 06:44 AM
I think the essential point of FUT/MUT/MyTeam is that its gambling. Think about it. You spend $$ on a pack to get someone good, you buy just one more, just one more to get 'that guy'. Its gambling pure and simple and its targeting children. I refuse to take part in these modes. Forget about DFS, this is a real issue.

# 10 kadzier @ 03/12/16 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald_rush
I know it seems like I should be happy with my team, but after spending well over $300 on a game that I spent $90 (Michael Jordan edition) for, I feel like an idiot. I think the pack odds should be adjusted to reward people that buy with MT over VC. I also think the promo packs should only be purchased with MT, with better odds at getting cards from the promo.
Not to pile on you man, but herein lies the problem. If you spend $300 but then afterwards realize it wasn't worth it, 2k won't see that. They'll see that someone spent $300 on their game, so they must be doing something right.

It's depressing how this mode is clearly built as a psychological skinner box, no different from any other "free to play" game, that prioritizes squeezing the wallet or forcing people to grind for hours over fun and a fair and consistent sense of progression.

# 11 nba2kpdx @ 03/12/16 12:04 PM
You don't have to spend any money to get a great squad. You do have to actually play the mode though.

1. Domination. 2 guaranteed amethysts, bonuses for collecting X number of cards, and then selling all the cards will give you enough MT to get some really good players.

2. Single player challenges.

3. Gauntlet has good rewards if you like the play style.

4. RTTP rewards are generally solid too.

Buying the cheapest packs only basically convert any VC you get from the mobile app into MT.

300k of MT can go a long way.

# 12 HowDareI @ 03/12/16 12:13 PM
Thing is, I don't gamble in real life...I make my money, keep my money, or spend it on things I can see lol

Last year I got a $25 Xbox card on Christmas and had nothing to use it on and said let's try this pack opening business.
Got lucky and out of the packs I opened I got Lebron, Kyrie, and Dwight Howard...

Now apparently that's not enough because there's them 99 overall fancy rewards whatever players that people spend 100s on or wait all day for a code for..so that in itself ruins the mode because a team that I had should be good enough but nope..you're expected to grind for hours upon hours upon hours or just spend money and pray.

Now that's fine; matchmake me against similar opponents then that haven't done all that. Because the way my mind's set, I'm not gonna go out and spend money to compete; I already spent 60 on the game. Other people may be influenced tho and they know that.

The rewards this year imo are trash. Last year I played the cpu and actually got decent golds to make a team I could use against the pack-buyers and because I'm nice enough at 2K I could challenge them.
This year we got like 99 overall Jimmer Freddette cards lol and my rewards in every game are 73 overall silvers..nah I stopped playing quick.

# 13 heelphreak @ 03/12/16 01:31 PM
I gave up on it last year. Haven't touched it in 2k16. I became obsessed with fielding a team of all tar heels. Spend a decent amount of money and time and once I had a team that I liked I came to the realization that I don't enjoy the game mode. I was obsessed with pulling tar heels in pack openings but actually playing the games was less fun to me than my league or play now or even my career. I'll just go to Atlantic City or Vegas the next time I'm compelled to dump money into a flashing lights and cards turning over game

# 14 AirJordanFan93 @ 03/12/16 06:30 PM
This is why I generally ignore MyTeam and Ultimate Team modes in modern day sports games. Unless you are willing to either spend additional money on packs or invest large portions of time into the modes then its kind of pointless. These modes are nothing but cash cows for 2K and EA and they know no matter what people will spend a whole bunch of money each year on these modes. I hate this is where a lot of focus lies when it comes to game modes these days but that is more so an issue with EA than it is with 2K.

# 15 razorkaos @ 03/12/16 08:06 PM
These modes are cash grabs. I can't even understand why people spend the same amount of money they paid for the full game (or even more) in random packs of virtual cards that can't be used in the next year's game.

EA probably earns more money with Fifa points than selling copies of the game, and 2k is going the same route.

Until people are ok with spending that much with a system that is as lucky-driven as gambling and never pays out, these things won't go anywhere.

You (writer) spent 120 dollars in one game. It's your choice, but for the exact same reason, you shouldn't complain about it. You literally threw 60 dollars away, trying to improve your team with cards that are available only for the current iteration of the game, cards that are extremely rare, but pop out once in a blue moon as a bait for people who still hope to spend lots of cash to find them.

# 16 Black Bruce Wayne @ 03/13/16 10:05 AM
The only mode that I really enjoy on MyTeam, is The Gauntlet. That was a great addition and I hope it returns next year

# 17 Denzel Washington @ 03/13/16 03:25 PM
MyTeam is without a doubt the most lopsided team building mode of any of the major sports titles. In almost every other game you can grind something and come out feeling rewarded and when you play against someone online you don't feel hopelessly overmatched.

In Madden I have a very competitive 92 overall team (before the market was destroyed) and I only spent about $10 on packs. And anytime I spent money I immediately regretted it due to the bad payout. The difference between MUT and MyTeam is that you are given many ways to build a competitive team without spending money. MUT has challenges which give out pretty good rewards in comparison to the time it takes to complete the challenges. In MyTeam you are limited to getting lucky pulls and the Grinds are not productive. I don't think I've seen a worse payout for a huge grind than the 91 Jason Kidd you get for completing the domination and then the 92 Historic Domination Pippen which is essentially a better ball handling DPOTY Kawhi.

In MUT you can build your team around a certain playstyle and you can succeed with the right gameplan even if you have similar skills as your opponent. In 2K if you match someone as good as you but they have a full diamond lineup with Amethysts coming off the bench then you have almost no chance to be competitive no matter what. The reason for this is likely due to how completely ridiculous many diamond and amethyst players are in their attributes where they are given untrue ratings to boost their overall. (ie '96 Jordan with 93 st3 and 90 mov3).

In Diamond Dynasty I had just about every legend and diamond player in the game (Didn't spend a dime on stubs). DD rewarded you appropriately and respected the time you put into the game.

The problem is that MT is moving further away from giving a balanced reward and respecting the time you are putting into the game itself. Every year it seems that the mode is shifting to pay to be competitive.

# 18 Vroman @ 03/13/16 03:59 PM
Really glad i decided to skip this game mode entirely this year. All those over glorified cards simply throw off immersion, not mentioning other issues others has stated already.

# 19 dwnz @ 03/13/16 05:23 PM
I played MT a lot last year and gave it a try this year but there were ultimately two things that turned me off (bear in mind I play single-player only).

Domination: I have no interest in playing in a way to meet MT requirements to get 3 stars. Constantly feeding the post to LaMarcus or Dirk to get enough MT points isn't playing fun basketball, but its really almost the only way to ensure you meet the MT requirements. If they upped the difficulty and changed it so you just need to win, I'd be happy to keep playing.

Stupid cards: Diamond Luis Scola was the killer, these devalue all the cards of the good players you work hard to get (I don't spend any real money on packs).

# 20 BigBadChad @ 03/14/16 12:02 AM
My argument is.....Why does anyone play My Team or My Park? The game is called NBA 2k16. You play with the current teams and it helps you know what is going on TODAY! I played with the old school players back when in was Bulls vs. Celtics, etc.

Furthermore, let's make an avatar and go to the virtual park and everyone ball hog!? Are you freaking kidding me?

I know everyone is different, and has their opinions, just sharing mine!!

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.