Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K16 Comes to the PC: Should You Buy It?

The DLC is all here!

2K is one of the few remaining publishers to release big budget sports titles through Steam. 2K's latest PC release is WWE 2K16. If you are a fan of wrestling, and haven't yet picked up this year's version, is this the one to get?

"There is a lot of game here, even if it's a bit flawed."

What's Included

The Steam version of WWE 2K16 includes the core game, first released on consoles back in the fall. It also includes all released DLC, making it a "deluxe" version of the title.

The DLC offerings include the Hall of Fame Showcase, Legends pack and even the Terminator pre-order bonus -- as well as the other add-on content released thus far. The Hall of Fame Showcase is my favorite; it adds a number of famous matches complete with objectives and lengthy video introductions. That said, there is also something cool about Arnold entering the arena to the classic beats of the Terminator theme.

Presuming you have a computer that can handle it, this version does offer a bit of value. Coming in at $50, it's roughly $10 cheaper than buying the console version ($35) and DLC Season Pass ($25).

Gameplay

Again, the core game remains unchanged; you can read our original thoughts here. Basically, WWE 2K16 is a mediocre but deep wrestling game, held back by some poor design decisions. All of that remains true in the PC version. For instance, limiting user reversals makes sense in multiplayer and creates a layer of strategy; but when your AI opponent seems to counter your moves at will, it's cause for frustration. There are also moments where the game seems to play itself, as signatures and finishers spin into long cutscenes - -while you do nothing but watch. The submission and pin system add some arcade flair, but can feel needlessly complex. The game leans hard into its position as a sim title, sacrificing some fun along the way.

"...if you are willing to invest some time, the Universe and career modes have a lot to offer, even if they are not perfect."

That's not to say I did not have fun while playing. The large roster makes creating one-off matches very enjoyable. The modes, especially the Showcase series, are challenging and rewarding. And, if you are willing to invest some time, the Universe and career modes have a lot to offer, even if they are not perfect.

Presentation

Running on a mid-level gaming PC, WWE 2K16 looks as good as its console counterparts. Yes, the crowds are bad and some wrestlers don't really resemble themselves. But, on the whole, it's a relatively nice looking and smooth playing game. I didn't experience any of the slowdowns that were reported on the PC version of 2K15. Loading times are reasonable, and menus are adequately snappy.

However, I did encounter some bugs, including one random crash. The biggest issue, though, involves launching into the game. Too often it froze on the splash screen. Alt-tabbing between the game and the desktop seemed to coax the game to launch, but this was an inconsistent solution. This is hopefully something that gets patched through Steam.

Final Thoughts

If you own a PC and have not yet sunk money into WWE 2K15, it may be worth the price assuming you like the genre in the first place. That being said, I don't think it will win over casual fans like WWE All-Stars did last generation. Even the value found in the $50 price point assumes you would buy all of the DLC anyway.

My advice to anyone on the fence: Add this title to your Steam wishlist, and watch for the price to drop during a weekend or flash sale. There is a lot of game here, even if it's a bit flawed.

WWE 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Atax1s @ 03/21/16 05:49 PM
I would suggest that anyone considering buying this should realize that a lot of the more cosmetic issues will be heavily addressed by the modding community. They will definitely do some cool stuff with this game.

# 2 jaredsmith83 @ 03/22/16 08:35 AM
The PC definitely has a great value, since you get all the DLC that's been released. Its got its flaws, but with the modding community making some AWESOME creations to fill in any missing roster spots and the improved creation suite in the game, its definitely steps above 2K15.

# 3 franch1se @ 03/22/16 01:26 PM
yes, I always switch to the PC version when released. MODS make the game awesome. From in ring gear, to Adding your own titantrons, theme music, mini-trons, wall-trons and superstar Mods. Importing wrestlers from previous 2K games such as cm punk, del rio, AJ Lee etc. Not to mention arenas and belts, it makes the game easy to keep up to date. Plus SweetFX is always a nice addition.

Edit - you will need a pretty good rig to run it to its full potential of course

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.