Home
Feature Article
Exploring the Lack of Baseball Games on the Xbox One

R.B.I. Baseball 16.

It has been over two years since the Xbox One first hit the market, and the console has sported a disappointingly low number of baseball games in that time.

In fact, there has only been two notable series to mention so far. Firstly, the resurgence of RBI Baseball has been in effect for almost three years now, offering a casual take on the sport with real MLB licensing. Unfortunately, it has been met with a mediocre reception throughout the majority of its lifespan. The third iteration is set to release on March 29, and MLB's Advanced Media division will be hopeful it fares better this time around.

Super Mega Baseball.

Super Mega Baseball is arguably the best option available at the moment. It showcases a mix of over-the-top visuals with realistic, in-depth mechanics, and the core gameplay is even somewhat reminiscent of Sony's MLB: The Show when you strip back all the extra details. It isn't going to satisfy your need for a realistic baseball experience, however, and it can't rival The Show's luxurious feature set.

It is not fair to place unrealistic expectations on either series. Neither are intended as replacements for the AAA titles that once graced Microsoft's consoles. While Super Mega Baseball might be an adequate alternative, it doesn't offer online gameplay or a particularly in-depth season mode to keep you entertained throughout the entire year. Neither series can (or even tries to) boast the same level of graphics and realistic simulation gameplay MLB: The Show possesses. These games are meant to be an alternative baseball experience, not the main one.

So, let's rewind for a minute. As we approach the release of MLB: The Show 16, Xbox One owners are forced to resign themselves to yet another year without a major baseball game. Why is this the case after over two years of the console's existence?

The Xbox 360 last featured a baseball title in the form of MLB 2K13; the last entry in a series that was struggling to compete with Sony's offering. After mediocre reviews and sales, 2K Sports pulled the plug on the series after its MLB licensing agreement expired at the end of 2013. Suddenly, the Xbox was left without a dedicated baseball series, and the situation has been the same ever since.

MVP NCAA Baseball 07.

Many have clamored for EA to make a return to the baseball scene after enjoying success with the MVP Baseball series a decade ago. Unfortunately, despite commenting in 2013 that they have an "inherent passion for baseball", EA have yet to announce anything regarding a new series being in the works.

You have to wonder whether a brand-new series could even compete with MLB: The Show. Sure, it'd be on a different platform, but the costs of licensing would presumably serve as a significant barrier of entry, and any company would have to be willing to invest significant time and money if it wanted to craft an experience to rival Sony's game. Is it worth it? The answer would appear to be "no" at this point.

It looks like we're going to be waiting for at least another year. Who knows, will we be forced to endure that wait until the next console generation rolls around? For now, there can be no doubt; the PlayStation 4 is the ideal home for hardcore baseball fans.

Member Comments
# 1 spoofrice11 @ 03/28/16 11:48 AM
Disappointing that EA has gotten back in to the baseball market.
I know a lot of people were hoping that 2K would give up the license when they had it and EA would then start putting out games again. Hopefully EA eventually decide to, because MVP Baseball 2005 was an amazing game that I played for years after it came out.

# 2 redsox4evur @ 03/28/16 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
Disappointing that EA has gotten back in to the baseball market.
I know a lot of people were hoping that 2K would give up the license when they had it and EA would then start putting out games again. Hopefully EA eventually decide to, because MVP Baseball 2005 was an amazing game that I played for years after it came out.
EA could still make a baseball game when 2K had the license...they just didn't want to be it wouldn't make a lot of money. From my recollection 2K never had an exclusive license.

# 3 snc237 @ 03/28/16 11:54 AM
If I was EA I literally would use the same game engine from MVP baseball. Then just redo the graphics. With the help of the ignite engine the stadium atmosphere is already done (crowd animation). The thing is they can't start from scratch or they will more then likely be in a NBA live type of situation. At least they would have a console all to themselves.

# 4 Will I Am @ 03/28/16 12:08 PM
2K did indeed have an exclusive license for 3rd party game makers.

# 5 bfindeisen @ 03/28/16 12:18 PM
I want a PC game again. Let's bring back the High Heat series!

# 6 shogunofharlem3 @ 03/28/16 12:28 PM
I'd love to see Xbox at least give us MLB 2k13 on the backwards compatibility list. If you haven't played it in the recent years may I recommend picking it up and using the community rosters with edits that have been kept updated.

Gameplay is straight up amazing! If it was backwards compat it would at least be a sim option and you could upload the communinty rosters assuming you kept your 360.

# 7 mcmax3000 @ 03/28/16 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
EA could still make a baseball game when 2K had the license...they just didn't want to be it wouldn't make a lot of money. From my recollection 2K never had an exclusive license.
2K had an exclusive third party license, so Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo could've made a baseball game (and obviously Sony did), but no third party companies could.

# 8 LosCriminales @ 03/28/16 12:53 PM
Just FYI, Microsoft bought the High Heat assets when 3DO dissolved. They killed it. Basically the MLB sports games make zero money and no return on investment. Hence the half-assed ness of MLB doing these games, and EA not interested. Sony feels that because they have an exclusive that people will buy the game/console because of this, but I doubt it's moving many Vitas - especially since it's just the same game with new rosters.

I agree it's pathetic that we have a lacrosse game on the XB1 but no baseball. I will say that Super Mega Baseball is very enjoyable, however.

# 9 SamitSarkar @ 03/28/16 01:00 PM
Quote:
Not to well, actually... you, but: 2K Sports signed an exclusive contract with MLB for the MLB 2K series shortly after EA signed its exclusive deal with the NFL for Madden. Unlike the Madden contract, 2K Sports' licensing agreement only applied to third-party publishers (such as 2K and EA), not first-party publishers (i.e., the publishing arms of the platform holders -- Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo).

So 2K was the only third-party publisher that could make an MLB-licensed video game; that's why EA tried its college baseball series for two years after MVP Baseball 2005 (and then gave up). It's also why Sony, as a first-party publisher, has been able to make its MLB The Show series for the past decade.

2K's exclusive agreement expired at the end of 2012; the company renewed it just for 2013 so it could crap out MLB 2K13, and that was it.

# 10 BBallcoach @ 03/28/16 03:38 PM
I've been saying this for years, but Microsoft needs to bring back Inside Pitch. While it wasn't the greatest game ever, the 2 (3?) games they made were solid foundations. Reasons like that are why I recently traded in my XB1 for a PS4. I can get all the cross platform sports games and then the show and hot shots. Since most XB1 exclusives come to PC now. I'm all set.

# 11 Yantropov @ 03/28/16 05:38 PM
I owned the first two generations of Xbox. I decided to make the switch mostly after trying Mlb the Show 13. Let me tell you that I don't regret switching to PS4, I love baseball games and I was purchasing MLB 2k years after years... I hope Xbox eventually get a baseball game back.

# 12 NINJAK2 @ 03/28/16 06:53 PM
I'm surprised the MLB hasn't just asked the show to become their official baseball game and ask them to make it for x1 and pc...Well that's been my dream..lol

# 13 redsox4evur @ 03/28/16 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'm surprised the MLB hasn't just asked the show to become their official baseball game and ask them to make it for x1 and pc...Well that's been my dream..lol
Yea that'll happen when EA wins the NCAA lawsuit. No chance of SONY making a game to be played on their competitors system.

# 14 TSOLEliot @ 03/28/16 07:09 PM
I'm still doing 2K13 on the 360...The roster work and slider work put in my contributors on OS is fantastic. 2K13 is pretty much 2K12 but it plays a little smoother.

I even still have EA's college baseball on my original Xbox since it has the MVP engine. Still love that game and doesn't bother me about the rosters not being up to date with college. Though my kids look at me and are appalled by the graphics! This new generation!

# 15 snc237 @ 03/28/16 07:19 PM
Quote:
2k had 3rd party rights. That's why the show still was made because its first party.

# 16 pistolpete @ 03/28/16 08:37 PM
It is disappointing that the Xbox One doesn't have a legit MLB game, but people shouldn't sleep on 2k13. The game actually has a lot going for it, you'd really be surprised.

In no particular order:

1. Established Sliders. The game is now 3 years old. It hasn't changed in 3 years. Over that time sliders have been near perfected.

2. Stat tracking. There is no question that MLB 2k13 has some of the deepest stat tracking one has ever seen.

3. Inside Edge. Again, an awesome feature. A players strengths are real. Once you get to know a lineup your approach at the plate is different for every single player.

4. Decent sim engine. It's not the best. You'll get weird things like middle relievers with double digit wins, but for the most part the sim engine is pretty good.

5. Franchise presentation. Headlines, power rankings, trending, advanced stats, top prospect lists, team records, injury histories, aware histories, stats galore.

MLB 2k13 is the only reason I ever still turn on my Xbox 360. If it ever became backwards compatible (which you know is not happening) I would love it.

I still would prefer something new, and deep, for the Xbox One.

# 17 El Comodin24 @ 03/29/16 11:44 AM
maybe if EA wasn't wasting their time on games like Unravel & Star Wars, we'd have a baseball game by now.

# 18 brent3419 @ 03/29/16 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Comodin24
maybe if EA wasn't wasting their time on games like Unravel & Star Wars, we'd have a baseball game by now.
You do know that those dont even relate to EA Sports right?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

# 19 Twigg4075 @ 04/07/16 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Comodin24
LOL.

If EA didn't produce or develop ANY games they could focus on a baseball game!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.