Home
Feature Article
MLB The Show 16: First Impressions Roundtable

Chase Becotte: Beyond the somewhat expected hiccups of really slow menus for the online modes, the game is feeling mighty Show-y so far. The love and care is there, and I still felt right at home sitting down to play my first game.

Which is not to say the game feels the same as last year -- I'm hitting like garbage so far -- but more means it just feels comfortable to get back into the swing of things. The fielding has stuck out the most so far as it feels much more clean both from a visual and controls standpoint to this point. I'll certainly be digging in during the coming days, and I'm stoked once more to have The Show back in my life.

Mike Lowe: The precision response (or whatever it's called) is very noticeable, and is the best subtle improvement to the game this year. Pulling the ball finally feels realistic.

Franchise mode needs some attention, especially for carryover saves and official game-scoring because things like caught stealings shouldn't be happening on a hit-and-run where there's a force out. For a mode that tracks stats like franchise, it's sort of a big deal (like the Chris').

Battle Royale is very cool, and it's a lot of fun drafting teams--you'll quickly discover some very intuitive ways you can and should be constructing your team for a 3-inning game.

Millennium: My first impression can be summed up in one word: polish. The game's familiar feel is ramped up by an amazing new lighting engine, immensely cleaner defensive animations and the presence a more responsive input system. Loading into your first afternoon start you are immediately hit with the increased visual quality of the stadiums, although the player models are showing some age. As you play the audio atmosphere of the crowd and the striking of the ball on the bat bring you front and center into spring. Drafting a Battle Royale team is a great way for user to be able to experience usign cards they may otherwise never see in Diamond Dynasty, while Conquest mode brings a Risk-type meta game using your Diamond Dynasty line up against the CPU. Both of these modes using 3 inning match ups give the single serving gamer even more reason to dive in to baseball (and the hardcore DD player more options to build their sqaud. It's easy to see why MLB 16: The Show is a significant upgrade from last year's iteration.

Chris Sanner: The Show continues to be a stable, consistent performer in Sports Gaming. You know exactly what you are going to get every time with this series. The baseball action on the field is still super authentic and the bells and whistles around that continue to improve.

Really the first thing which stood out to me is that the production values and overall design of the game continues to improve. The tooltips are annoying for vets but will be helpful for newcomers of the series. Also the helpful on-screen hints and guides, especially the subtle ones, are well done and really help your understanding of what it is you want to do. On that front, The Show has really improved for newcomers.

As far as the modes, I haven't gotten to sink enough time into anything to form a real opinion -- but overall the game looks to have taken a step forward. We'll see what the coming weeks bring.

MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 da professor @ 03/30/16 10:57 AM
I think the game is fantastic with one exception, online franchise. Maybe it will get better but last night was awful. Constantly loading and waiting...there aren't any notifications that tell you if it is processing your request. I hate to say it but Madden's online franchise is ten times better than the MLB the show...and thats a bummer for me and my friends.

# 2 kaptainkarl76 @ 03/30/16 10:57 AM
Isn't there a thread for this already?

# 3 Sip_16 @ 03/30/16 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
No......................

# 4 jacobfagan @ 03/30/16 11:44 AM
They are calculating WAR incorrectly. The game is moving more towards advanced metrics; maybe they should focus more on that next season. Otherwise, fun game as usual. Love Diamond Dynasty.

# 5 redsox4evur @ 03/30/16 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobfagan
They are calculating WAR incorrectly. The game is moving more towards advanced metrics; maybe they should focus more on that next season. Otherwise, fun game as usual. Love Diamond Dynasty.
What's the correct way to calculate WAR? There are only 2 companies that calculate WAR besides SCEA and they each have a different formula for it.

# 6 Knight165 @ 03/30/16 11:48 AM
Quote:
They are using their own WAR calc....so how would you even know it's incorrect!!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 7 fearwhatnow @ 03/30/16 11:52 AM
The fact is that SCEA is improving the game every year. My dream though is a collaboration with OOTP devs for a superior game, for the ultimate baseball sim. Both on PS4 and PC. But this will never happen unfortunately.

# 8 jacobfagan @ 03/30/16 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
They are using their own WAR calc....so how would you even know it's incorrect!!!

M.K.
Knight165
Very odd calculations then. Brandon Crawford has a career 2 WAR in the game, which is below the WARs of Didi, Xander, Lindor, Iglesias, etc. Harper and Trout's look normal. Guys like Cervelli, Duffy, Pence, Machado all seem really far off compared to everybody else. Seems like they're missing something.

# 9 jacobfagan @ 03/30/16 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
What's the correct way to calculate WAR? There are only 2 companies that calculate WAR besides SCEA and they each have a different formula for it.
I used bad wording there. It seems like their WAR calculations are missing some key elements to the game.

# 10 Lovesports @ 03/30/16 12:18 PM
Quote:
There is no correct way to calculate WAR. There are several WAR formulas out there....fangraphs, baseball reference and baseball prospectus all use a slightly different variation. The stat is created by fans and scouts and is not an official MLB stat.

# 11 Millennium @ 03/30/16 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
So - after letting me know that there is a "Streaming Link" thread for an official OS stream HERE I'm going to go ahead and ask that you let my moderation team handle cleaning the forums. This is an official OS Roundtable from OS writers/employees which is held separately from the community impressions.

# 12 RandyBass @ 03/30/16 06:01 PM
Quote:
Millennium: My first impression can be summed up in one word - Polish.
This is disappointing. I was hoping it would feel more Swedish, but I guess folks in Poland will be happy.

# 13 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/30/16 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
This is disappointing. I was hoping it would feel more Swedish, but I guess folks in Poland will be happy.
I'm pretty sure Millennium's referring to the foul poles.

# 14 Athletics37 @ 03/30/16 07:27 PM
The new game is fun but it took me 30 -45 min just to draft my battle royale (aka draft champions for you madden fans) and most of it takes super long to load.

# 15 jerseycityarod23 @ 04/03/16 02:19 AM
Game is fun, but my main complaints, why does it take so long to find a match online. It's really bad. Another really annoying complaint is why can't you see sometimes who you're matched up against until the game loads. Yankees vs Yankees is way too common and I've had to quit before the game even starts.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.