Home
Feature Article
FIFA Ultimate Team: How to Make a Great Mode Even Better

Right around 2010, EA Sports’ FIFA series finally began to gain steam after years of, what some might call, mediocrity. It was during this time EA stumbled upon a gold mine of a feature. It was implemented as a simple add-on midway through the lifespan of FIFA 09, and it transformed the way we would consume sports games in the years to come. That add-on was, of course, Ultimate Team.

It has since been incorporated into most of EA Sports’ properties, generating vast profits for the company in the process. The FIFA series is where it all began, and where it arguably still thrives the most. There’s a vast number of players who buy FIFA on a yearly basis and play nothing but Ultimate Team, spending countless sums of money or in-game cash to acquire the best players.

Yet, as engulfing and addictive an experience as Ultimate Team continues to be, the mode could benefit from improvements. People will continue to spend big money and devote themselves to the mode regardless, but minor changes could make it even more intriguing for those who don't currently believe the hype.

Collections

In the early years of FIFA Ultimate Team, a collection feature encouraged players to obtain team-specific items to gain rewards. Eventually, this feature disappeared. However, NHL 16 has retained this idea, providing an extra incentive for players to keep trading and opening packs. In recent years, there has been a notable interest from the fans to bring this feature back. Hopefully, it won’t be too long before it makes a resurgence.

Enhanced FUT Draft

FUT Draft was a welcome feature addition last year, offering players an alternative way of gaining packs and sampling some of the mode’s greatest players. To avoid the risk of it languishing in the background in FIFA 17, it needs to expand for its second outing. A wider variety of rewards would be beneficial, especially if rare players were offered as a result of winning tournaments. It'd also be nice if EA opened up a free-access period from time to time instead of asking us to spend our hard-earned coins or real-world cash to play it.

Greater Focus On Customization

The whole concept of Ultimate Team is built around creating a personalized squad, but there’s far too little customization involved to create that emotional connection. I’m sick of playing teams with Real Madrid shirts and Barcelona badges. I can’t differentiate between any of them; they all feel so generic. In FIFA 17, it’d be great if a shirt designer could be implemented, as well as a badge creator and stadium builder. The more customization implemented in this mode; the better. If EA wants to make us feel like we're crafting our own team, we need more reasons to feel connected to it.

Incentives To Use Bronze/Silver Players

In the early days of FIFA Ultimate Team, it wasn’t uncommon to find yourself matched up against bronze and silver players. Those days are over, and these players are rarely utilized anymore. Occasional tournaments are held to keep them relevant, but that’s the only time you’ll see them. Greater rewards for winning against teams with higher stats would provide more incentives to use them. We also need more reasons to incorporate these players within our squads, such as an additional boost of chemistry. At this point in time, so many players in the FIFA database are wasted due to their silver and bronze categorizations.

Gameplay Challenges

Those who struggle in online competition are often tempted to quit the game early. There’s a lack of interest to keep playing on their part, resulting in disconnections. If challenges could be implemented to offer gameplay-based rewards, it’d give players a reason to keep going, even when losing by a large margin. Anything from scoring a set number of goals to making a certain number of tackles would be enough to ensure games remain competitive until the end.

Improved Seasons

The current structure of the Seasons format is fine, but it’s not very investing. There’s no league table system, and promotion/relegation doesn’t rely on any other team’s results but our own. At the very least, it’d be good to see a playoff structure in place, allowing those on the brink of promotion to go through a mini-tournament to try and make that final push at the end of the season. In an ideal world, I'd like to see an actual league table with other players' teams in it. It’d be difficult to implement, but at the moment, it feels like I'm playing an endless stream of games without experiencing any of the excitement of a real-world league system.

FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 LucianoJJ @ 05/16/16 10:32 PM
Improve the value of the packs. If I spend 25,000 points on some super special pack, I expect to get an equal or better amount of value/talent. I'm sick of paying the hard won currency to get lesser talent. I bought packs looking to upgrade my team. Instead, I end up quick selling the majority of the players in the awful packs I buy.

When players are gifted, you are unable to resell them. This seems unfair, as well.

# 2 DirectFX @ 05/17/16 04:13 AM
Sorry to say it but I'm with the group of career mode die yards who have seen the game be ruined because of this exact feature. I wish they would remove UT as the game has turned into Pokemon with player cards and it just is to arcadey to the real diehards. There are so many who go all out each year and cheese/cheat like crazy taking the little fun out. The mode also is horrible because everyone will use the exact same players vs each other kind of pointless. There is no league, Europa League, Champions League, academy, normal transfers , be a pro, career mode or club play its nothing authentic at all. In the end it's a big sinkhole for $ and whoever spends the most gets to win at arcade FIFA / Pokemon. I vote for all EA sports to remove UT from games and put em all together in game called UT as a stand alone so real sports games can get more attention to the modes that got us hooked back in the day n still play though EA doesn't update these modes as much with UT cash cow taking resources away. Long live career, dynasty, be a pro, club online and Coach/Manager modes !

# 3 PPerfect_CJ @ 05/17/16 09:01 AM
Please stop with the FUT. PLEASE stop. We've had that stuffed down our throats too much, already. It's time for Career Mode improvement!

# 4 10 @ 05/17/16 01:31 PM
You two post the same (wrong) points every chance possible. The fact that EA hasn't taken the massive profits from UT to improve other modes is 100% on them. Call it pokemon all you want it's still more fun than career mode. CM was bad before UT and it's bad now. What was the problem then? UT should be a good thing for every mode. More money=more resources.

I'm not a "real die hard" like you guys but suggesting the most popular mode in the game be turned into a different game completely seems like a bad idea for literally the exact reasons you were arguing against. Creating an entirely new game just for UT would take more time/resources and they would probably add more to it to make it better as a stand alone game.

Would you pay $60 for CM and 2 other modes that haven't been touched in years? Do you actually believe that would magically make CM better?

It's stupid because it's like pokemon isn't a valid complaint. Posts like yours add nothing of value here for several reasons. There's plenty of places to post your opinions or wish lists. Surprisingly a post for possible additions to FUT isn't one of them. If nothing else at least be respectful to the person who took time to make this write up and take a break from your same copied and pasted responses.

# 5 PPerfect_CJ @ 05/17/16 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10
You two post the same (wrong) points every chance possible. The fact that EA hasn't taken the massive profits from UT to improve other modes is 100% on them. Call it pokemon all you want it's still more fun than career mode. CM was bad before UT and it's bad now. What was the problem then? UT should be a good thing for every mode. More money=more resources.

I'm not a "real die hard" like you guys but suggesting the most popular mode in the game be turned into a different game completely seems like a bad idea for literally the exact reasons you were arguing against. Creating an entirely new game just for UT would take more time/resources and they would probably add more to it to make it better as a stand alone game.

Would you pay $60 for CM and 2 other modes that haven't been touched in years? Do you actually believe that would magically make CM better?

It's stupid because it's like pokemon isn't a valid complaint. Posts like yours add nothing of value here for several reasons. There's plenty of places to post your opinions or wish lists. Surprisingly a post for possible additions to FUT isn't one of them. If nothing else at least be respectful to the person who took time to make this write up and take a break from your same copied and pasted responses.
No offense, but you're definitely in the minority around here, bud.

# 6 10 @ 05/17/16 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
No offense, but you're definitely in the minority around here, bud.

Agreed but that doesn't change any part of my post. When's the last time an ea sports game had even a decent offline career mode in the last 10 years? Maybe Madden once or twice? This year fifa did add time and resources to a few aspects of CM like transfers and training. How many people are happy about the result? Their biggest addition to FUT (draft) isn't even done that well. Other games like 2K and The Show have found a way to have both modes be good.

Since the majority of people here are offline players how is FUT being stuffed down your throat on OS?

No offense to either of you but it's unnecessary to post the same thing over and over again. We get it, it's pokemon for little kids and only real fans and die hards play CM.

# 7 PPerfect_CJ @ 05/17/16 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10
Agreed but that doesn't change any part of my post. When's the last time an ea sports game had even a decent offline career mode in the last 10 years? Maybe Madden once or twice? This year fifa did add time and resources to a few aspects of CM like transfers and training. How many people are happy about the result? Their biggest addition to FUT (draft) isn't even done that well. Other games like 2K and The Show have found a way to have both modes be good.

Since the majority of people here are offline players how is FUT being stuffed down your throat on OS?

No offense to either of you but it's unnecessary to post the same thing over and over again. We get it, it's pokemon for little kids and only real fans and die hards play CM.
I'll CONTINUE to post about this over and over. If there's even a SMALL chance that it may help to get something changed, I feel obligated to do so. I just wish some of the people working on FIFA would come and take a look at some of the suggestions around here the way the guys at 2K and The Show do. Career Mode would improve drastically.

# 8 10 @ 05/17/16 02:21 PM
Quote:
I'll CONTINUE to post about this over and over. If there's even a SMALL chance that it may help to get something changed, I feel obligated to do so. I just wish some of the people working on FIFA would come and take a look at some of the suggestions around here the way the guys at 2K and The Show do. Career Mode would improve drastically.

I'm not saying to never voice your opinion that they need to focus more on CM because I agree with you. But at the same time if someone from EA was to read this thread what would be their takeaway? It's turning into pokemon so we should remove it?

What I am saying is to at least post some real constructive criticism that goes beyond it's stupid and I don't like it. There are a lot of great things posted on here that should absolutely be taken seriously and maybe even added to the game. The ones you guys constantly make don't fall into that category.

# 9 PPerfect_CJ @ 05/17/16 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10
I'm not saying to never voice your opinion that they need to focus more on CM because I agree with you. But at the same time if someone from EA was to read this thread what would be their takeaway? It's turning into pokemon so we should remove it?

What I am saying is to at least post some real constructive criticism that goes beyond it's stupid and I don't like it. There are a lot of great things posted on here that should absolutely be taken seriously and maybe even added to the game. The ones you guys constantly make don't fall into that category.
MY criticism is that all they care about is FUT, coins, and packs. They don't put an effort into anything that doesn't make them side cash. If you doubt that, you don't have to take my word for it, just go and take a look at their twitter account. They make it painfully obvious. I just want to play a game about the sport I love without it completely turning into Fantasy Football.

# 10 10 @ 05/17/16 03:32 PM
Quote:
MY criticism is that all they care about is FUT, coins, and packs. They don't put an effort into anything that doesn't make them side cash. If you doubt that, you don't have to take my word for it, just go and take a look at their twitter account. They make it painfully obvious. I just want to play a game about the sport I love without it completely turning into Fantasy Football.

My criticism is that they've made a subpar game long before ultimate team and have continued to do so after it. The addition of ultimate team and the huge amount of revenue it has added should have been a huge factor in correcting this but it hasn't. Seeing people say they focus on ultimate team so the rest of the game is bad ignores that they've been putting out subpar games for years. Their Twitter is also filled night and day with people complaining about ultimate team and very little else. 2K's is mostly the same and they put out a pretty great offline experience this year.

The majority of people that play fifa play ultimate team as their primary mode. Why do you believe they should spend an equal amount of focus or resources on CM?

Again, I completely agree that CM needs dramatic improvements as does more than a few areas of gameplay. I play this game more than any other game I own because I love the sport like you. I do this knowing full well all of its shortcomings. If career mode was better I'd play it. As it stands it's bland, uninteresting, and very underwhelming considering the resources and experience of the company making it.

# 11 BBallcoach @ 05/31/16 02:24 PM
Here's what they need to do,,,

Make FUT Draft free just like MUT Draft. No reason it should cost 15k coins or 300 ($3) to play a FUT draft.

Solo Challenges- Again MUT is superior in every way. Give us MUT style challenges to complete to grind our way towards packs and or players.

Gauntlets- Once again Something MUT does, There are so many teams and Leagues in FIFA, utilize them in FUT. Create a gauntlet of beating every single team in the game increasing the difficulty for the top leagues and give a reward.

Weekly Challenges- Again Something MUT does. They give out contracts and collectibles toward an end of season reward to keep players coming back.

This first four things are all things madden does to make the game grindible for players who don't have a ton of cash to spend on the game. You can acquire players, packs and collectibles and either use or sell them on the market to better your team. The solo grind aspect of FIFA is non-existent. Solo seasons and Touney's are a joke. FUT just feels like a greedy cash grab where MUT at least offers you ways to grind your team.

More things they can do.

Collections- Like MUT draft badges or the TOTW collectibles. Earn a certain amount of something to acquire a great player would be awesome.

More Types of Cards- FUT does one thing great. And that is keep up to date with special cards for MOTM, Record Breakers, ect. But why not have throwback cards? Like a 2006 Ronaldo or something like that.

Kit and Logo Creation- This is the best part of NBA2k My team and MLB the Show Diamond Dynasty. Creating your own logos and uniforms.

As a player who spends 90% of his time in Manager Career, if they added the solo aspects of MUT into FUT, I would play a helluva a lot more FUT. But all FUT seems to me is a F2P money grab type of mobile game right now.

# 12 BBallcoach @ 05/31/16 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ
Improve the value of the packs. If I spend 25,000 points on some super special pack, I expect to get an equal or better amount of value/talent. I'm sick of paying the hard won currency to get lesser talent. I bought packs looking to upgrade my team. Instead, I end up quick selling the majority of the players in the awful packs I buy.

When players are gifted, you are unable to resell them. This seems unfair, as well.
That will never happen. That is what every sports game does, not just FIFA. They will never guarantee pack odds.

# 13 Recon @ 05/31/16 06:10 PM
FUT = #*?* Ultimate Team

FUT should be separate from FIFA 17. It should be be a free to play download like World of Tanks where people can spend all their money.

Franchise has taken a back seat for far to long.

# 14 DaSmerg @ 06/08/16 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon
FUT = #*?* Ultimate Team

FUT should be separate from FIFA 17. It should be be a free to play download like World of Tanks where people can spend all their money.

Franchise has taken a back seat for far to long.
All I can say is ditto.

# 15 LingeringRegime @ 06/08/16 07:57 AM
They should cater to the Manual Control users more. I would like to play the mode, but I won't play it against those who have the advantage of assisted controls.

Manual Cup? I would be all in.

# 16 Joonlarjj @ 06/08/16 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
They should cater to the Manual Control users more. I would like to play the mode, but I won't play it against those who have the advantage of assisted controls.

Yeah this is the primary reason why don't play the mode anymore. Just so tiring playing on such an uneven playing field. never understood why there is no manual filter for FUT??

I also find the micro-managing to be a hassle, constantly swapping players in and out, buying new contracts every few games etc. its all a bit small time. they could streamline so much of it.

# 17 rcervantes593 @ 06/10/16 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectFX
Sorry to say it but I'm with the group of career mode die yards who have seen the game be ruined because of this exact feature. I wish they would remove UT as the game has turned into Pokemon with player cards and it just is to arcadey to the real diehards. There are so many who go all out each year and cheese/cheat like crazy taking the little fun out. The mode also is horrible because everyone will use the exact same players vs each other kind of pointless. There is no league, Europa League, Champions League, academy, normal transfers , be a pro, career mode or club play its nothing authentic at all. In the end it's a big sinkhole for $ and whoever spends the most gets to win at arcade FIFA / Pokemon. I vote for all EA sports to remove UT from games and put em all together in game called UT as a stand alone so real sports games can get more attention to the modes that got us hooked back in the day n still play though EA doesn't update these modes as much with UT cash cow taking resources away. Long live career, dynasty, be a pro, club online and Coach/Manager modes !
https://youtu.be/HyOIwby93K0 please watch and give me feedback thanks you

# 18 Turbojugend @ 06/10/16 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime

Yep, a huge part of the problem is that you have to play FUT in a pre-defined style. I do play FUT occasionally (offline only), but I've been playing my FIFA matches on Slow for years now, so much that the default speed setting feels too fast and hectic. I do understand why this is necessary for online but I'm not sure why can't slow the game down to a reasonable pace when playing FUT offline.

And yes, I am also a full manual player. I'm not sure if I ever want to play an online game mode where my opponent's shots are auto-directed for success.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.