Home
Feature Article
Is Power Pros 2016 Worth Importing on the PlayStation 4?

Are you tired of playing baseball games where the pitchers are more likely to hit home runs than the first basemen are likely to complete 3-6-3 double plays?

Have you run out of curse words to scream while you helplessly watch lengthy fielding animations that are too slow to throw out 40-speed sloths, and too unreliable to consistently complete simple defensive acts like stepping on a base for a force out, or tagging out an oncoming runner?

Are you baffled by hitting and pitching systems where mysterious, unexplained attribute ratings have a bigger impact than basic bat physics in determining where a ball gets hit?

Have you lost interest in playing inside quiet ballparks with deflating atmospheres and dull commentary?

If so, you should absolutely own a version of Konami's Power Pros. But depending on which modes you want to play, you might not need the series' latest release, Power Pros 2016, which arrived last month on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita.

Power Pros 2008

Success and MyLife modes are the main reasons why this PlayStation 2/Nintendo Wii disc is still worth owning. They both start your created character in the minor leagues, where he must train his attributes and attract scouts' attention to receive a promotion to the majors. The gameplay is player-locked, like in Sony's Road to the Show mode, but off the field, there are lots of branching storylines based on how you perform during games, how you choose to spend your free time, and how you behave during conversations. You can, for example, be a jerk and try to steal a rival player's girlfriend. Or you could avoid ticking off another team and just ask out the lady who runs the local hot dog shop. Managing relationships isn't limited to romantic options, as you must keep your teammates and your coaches happy, too.

These two modes do exist in Power Pros 2016, but the large amount of Japanese text makes them difficult to play, even while using Google's free Translate app. Mobile translators are fine for decoding menus that display simple words and phrases, but figuring out pages upon pages of full sentences is more work than Google's app can currently handle. If Success and MyLife are what you want to play, then you'll be better off buying Power Pros 2008, since it's the most recent English edition. Although the graphics, gameplay, and presentation are all inferior to Power Pros 2016, the off-field encounters are what really make these modes special, and you'll need to know every word that's being shown on the screen to get the most out of them.

The Wii port is definitely an upgrade over the PlayStation 2 original, since it contains sharper textures, smoother edges, and a more consistent framerate. Nintendo's Wii also has several different controllers with joysticks that feel and function better than Sony's DualShock models, which will make it much easier to aim your cursor during at-bats. Wii U owners can even play Power Pros 2008 through the system's backwards compatibility mode. Given how easy it is to find a copy for under $10, every baseball fan should experience Power Pros 2008, so they can at least say that they've lived out their big league dream of playing chess over the Internet.

MLB Bobblehead Pros

Power Pros 2008's disappointing sales figures kept Konami from bringing the series back to North America until 2011. But instead of making a true Power Pros sequel, the company decided to create a weird spin-off.

MLB Bobblehead Pros sported prettier stadiums and fancier lighting, but the HD facelift came at the cost of removing all the funny facial expressions and pre-bat routines that gave extra personality to Power Pros 2008's characters. Most of the tweaks to gameplay and presentation ended up making MLB Bobblehead Pros worse than its predecessor, with no play-by-play announcer, no option for the popular "two-button shrinking circle" pitching style, no way to view athletes' special abilities in-game, and a too-obvious-to-miss bug that made hitters' hot/cold zones appear entirely blue, instead of showing blue for the cold areas and red for the hot spots.

MLB Bobblehead Pros' Season mode was stupidly simplified, missing many important features from Power Pros 2008 like drafts, free agency, trades, and minor league affiliates. It also offered only one save slot, which was a reduction from Power Pros 2008's three available Season save files.

The game's few new features included online play that was unbearably laggy, a "Turning Point" system that provided attribute boosts to your entire team after winning key at-bats, and a series of hit-the-target minigames that were released as a separate downloadable package called "Bobblehead Battle." MyLife mode (renamed "MyBobble") was also turned into DLC, and I can't say whether it was better or worse than what appeared in Power Pros 2008, since I didn't buy the MyBobble bundle before it was suddenly delisted from the marketplace without warning.

MLB Bobblehead Pros ended up being one of the worst-selling games in Xbox Live Arcade's history, which led to it (and all of its DLC) being removed from Microsoft's online store in January 2013 -- most likely, the month that Konami's licensing agreement with Major League Baseball expired.

If it isn't attached to your Xbox Live account's purchase history, then the only way to play MLB Bobblehead Pros right now is to import the Japanese PlayStation 3 version, which was a retail release that combined the main game and all of its DLC onto a single disc. Given the general inferiority of Bobblehead Pros compared to Power Pros, and the presence of untranslated Japanese text in that PS3 edition, I can't recommend purchasing it as anything more than a curiosity or a collector's item. The minigames do contain some creative field designs and interesting item powerups, but Battle is the only mode from MLB Bobblehead Pros that's worth playing these days.

Power Pros 2016

Boasting the best graphics, presentation, and gameplay in the franchise's 20-year history, Power Pros 2016 is the obvious pick if you only want to play Exhibition and Season games. Both of those modes already have detailed guides available on powerprotranslation.com, and most of the information that's missing from Vernon's and Muka's website is easily deciphered with Google's Translate app.

Power Pros 2016's impressive team editing tools let you rewrite all of the game's existing player names in English text, making their nameplates readable during every menu and stat screen. You can even create up to 55 custom teams, designing their uniforms, logos, roster makeup, etc. Only 16 total teams can be entered into Season mode, though, since there are four expansion slots, plus the 12 current Nippon Professional Baseball clubs. Season mode lasts 30 years, with 144 games per season, plus the top three teams in each division making the postseason tournament. Free agents, trades, player development, and minor league callups can keep you occupied whenever you're not playing matches. A draft will also happen before each season begins.

I couldn't find an option for shorter season lengths anywhere in the menus, but you can always simulate past any games that you don't want to play by visiting the monthly schedule. The Quick Play options also allow you to player-lock onto a single hitter/pitcher, or only play the "clutch" moments of a game whenever runners are in scoring position. So if 144 matches sounds like too many, you do have some means of speeding through the huge schedule.

Head to head online play is also possible on the PlayStation 4, but I haven't been able to test it out yet with another American to see if it's as laggy as MLB Bobblehead Pros was.

Amazon Japan is currently the best place to buy a physical copy of Power Pros 2016, with the standard edition selling for $64, plus another $6 to get two-day international shipping from FedEx. The disc is playable on North American PlayStation 4s, PlayStation 3s, and PlayStation Vitas, since all of those systems are region free. But you won't be able to redeem any bonus codes or buy any of the audio DLC (background music and crowd chants) unless you're signed into a Japanese PlayStation Network Account. If you already have a Japanese PSN account, you can download the game directly to your hard drive. But first, you'll need to buy a couple of Japanese points cards (or points codes) until you've got 8,618 yen ($80) in your account to purchase the standard digital edition. There's also a free version of Power Pros 2016 on the Japanese PlayStation Network that only comes with Success mode, but since it's a story-driven experience with tons of cutscenes and untranslated text, I don't recommend using it as anything more than a demo of how the game looks and plays.

Member Comments
# 1 KennyJ1976 @ 05/20/16 11:03 AM
Even though the gameplay seems very similar, I would rather Konami have made a Pro Yakyuu Spirits baseball game for the PS4. I always wanted to give that game a try. I just can't take the characters in this game seriously.

# 2 Will I Am @ 05/20/16 11:05 AM
Excellent article.

When I play this game one of the things that comes to mind is the gaming magazine I used to buy when my kids were little... Game Pro I think is was, anyways when reviewing games the the last category was "Fun Factor" well this game has as much of that as any game I've ever played.

Don't let the characters fool you into thinking this game isn't sim either, it's sim with user input.

# 3 asu666 @ 05/20/16 11:18 AM
It would be nice if there was an English language option. Even Pro YS seems to have more English in the menus.

# 4 bxphenom7 @ 05/20/16 12:42 PM
Eh, what happened to Pro Yakyuu? Just like the guy above, I've always wanted to try the game out and I heard it was going to be released on PS4. Is that not the case?

# 5 jvalverde88 @ 05/20/16 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
Eh, what happened to Pro Yakyuu? Just like the guy above, I've always wanted to try the game out and I heard it was going to be released on PS4. Is that not the case?
Konami made it in to a mobile game due to financial reasons.

# 6 bxphenom7 @ 05/20/16 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Konami made it in to a mobile game due to financial reasons.
Thanks. That's really unfortunate.

# 7 opd897 @ 05/20/16 06:21 PM
I'll be 60 years old in 3 months, yep still a gamer. I've played every baseball game ever made, at least on the consoles and I have to say this is my favorite game of all time. I like the Pro Yakyuu series as well but like this one a bit better.

Yeah, it looks cartoony but don't let that fool you. With the right settings this is a very sim oriented game. The fun factor, at least for me is through the roof. Games are quick, bugs are few or non existent and the game's framerate is excellent, very smooth, no jitters.

The language barrier may be a bit much for some people but with the translation site as well as jyoung's videos one who has never played the series can be up and playing within a few minutes.

I've played this game since the Dreamcast where I imported it and was able to play it on that system.

I'll mainly be playing this game for my baseball fix in the future.

# 8 Will I Am @ 05/20/16 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
I'll be 60 years old in 3 months, yep still a gamer. I've played every baseball game ever made, at least on the consoles and I have to say this is my favorite game of all time. I like the Pro Yakyuu series as well but like this one a bit better.

Yeah, it looks cartoony but don't let that fool you. With the right settings this is a very sim oriented game. The fun factor, at least for me is through the roof. Games are quick, bugs are few or non existent and the game's framerate is excellent, very smooth, no jitters.

The language barrier may be a bit much for some people but with the translation site as well as jyoung's videos one who has never played the series can be up and playing within a few minutes.

I've played this game since the Dreamcast where I imported it and was able to play it on that system.

I'll mainly be playing this game for my baseball fix in the future.
I've actually got a couple years on you and I'd sooner be gaming than playing whist or lawn bowling.

# 9 opd897 @ 05/20/16 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
I've actually got a couple years on you and I'd sooner be gaming than playing whist or lawn bowling.
Or even golfing!

# 10 mrCPUgeek @ 05/20/16 11:02 PM
I wonder if they have any plans to port this over to an English version in the near future?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 11 jvalverde88 @ 05/20/16 11:48 PM
Considering Konami's financial struggles I highly doubt that happens.

# 12 Will I Am @ 05/21/16 12:04 PM
I'd just as soon they continue to only make the game in Japan. As soon as the game would be made over here I'm afraid it would turn into another bug fest, with people more concerned about graphics and such than the gameplay itself.

# 13 AceAmy @ 05/21/16 01:28 PM
English or nothing, hardly anyone cares over here if its not. Thats just the reality, Power Pros in 2008 was fun besides the career modes continuous reading of text.

# 14 Qwinkidink7 @ 05/21/16 02:41 PM
I played spirits 2011. There were a lot of things that i liked about it. But the thing I was not in favor of was the hitting mechanic. Or, the way you read pitches in the game. Instead of reading the pitch and watching it break. in this game you just look at the ball icon, then move ur courser to it. Anyone else feel this way? It takes away the hitter/pitcher immersion for me.

# 15 opd897 @ 05/21/16 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwinkidink7
I played spirits 2011. There were a lot of things that i liked about it. But the thing I was not in favor of was the hitting mechanic. Or, the way you read pitches in the game. Instead of reading the pitch and watching it break. in this game you just look at the ball icon, then move ur courser to it. Anyone else feel this way? It takes away the hitter/pitcher immersion for me.
I hear what your saying here but for me I've had to train myself to a little bit of both. You have to keep an eye on the ball icon to line up your batting cursor for sure. And, one has to watch the pitcher as well to gauge the speed of the pitch as well as watch out for the mistake pitch that is thrown right in the middle of your stationary batting cursor.

If one does just one or the other of these then failure is probable. One has to do a little bit of both which is challenging but also provides rewards in the hitting department.

# 16 strawberryshortcake @ 05/21/16 04:02 PM
Quote:

Actually, turning off both the ball and bat cursors are very much possible, along without any on screen help indicators analogous to MLB the Show or MLB2k baseball. The option is under the batter's settings tab.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits is no joke. One may even push the envelop and go full blown hardcore by upping the pitch speed to real. Not advisable for beginners or even veterans. Questionable even for experts.

An MLB the Show gamer has not experienced a challenge until they've given Pro Yakyuu Spirits or Jikkyou a whirl. What the Show labels "Legend" pales in comparison to what these games offer at the highest level or even moderate level difficulty without bat/ball cursor. I can play "Legend" on the Show and still compete and win. Maximum difficulty (no cursor, real ball speed on any level) on Yakyuu Spirits and I'll celebrate if I make contact with the ball, whether it be a foul ball or a simple base hit.

The truth of the matter is people play with the bat and/or ball cursor is because it is extremely difficult without. The the ball/bat physics breathes simulation full on goodness. You must make physical contact with the small surface area of the bat on ball to have any hitting success. If the bat misses the ball even by 1 centimeter, it'll be a swing and miss. MLB the Show's batting mechanics with the plate coverage indicator (PCI) is much easier and much more forgiving. Ball contact with the PCI is not always necessary because it's partially ratings based along with user's input, which is why it's possible for people to play on Legend with a completely clean screen (no PCI).

I had the same initial reaction as you as well when watching youtube footage. Figured 'Yakyuu Spirits' was simply way too easy because of the hitting mechanics. Boy was I wrong. I am currently playing Pro Yakyuu Spirits on probably beginner/medium difficulty with both active ball and bat cursors, and have not won a single game. I am lucky if I score 1 to 2 runs in the game. But this is in fact one of the best sports games I have ever played. My PS3 is finally getting the love it deserves. When Jikkyou 2016 arrives at the end of the month, my PS4 will get equal treatment.

Let me try to recall how many games I've won up to this point:
(A1) Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 beginning/medium setting with bat/ball cursor turned ON: Zero games.
(A2) Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 highest difficult/real pitch speed/No Bat & No ball cursor: I wouldn't have a prayer.
(B) MLBtheShow 2016 Hall of Fame: current A's franchise: 25-14.

Pro Yakyuu 2015 is currently my favorite game, one of my favorites of all time. It is fun, addictive and challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
I hear what your saying here but for me I've had to train myself to a little bit of both. You have to keep an eye on the ball icon to line up your batting cursor for sure. And, one has to watch the pitcher as well to gauge the speed of the pitch as well as watch out for the mistake pitch that is thrown right in the middle of your stationary batting cursor.

If one does just one or the other of these then failure is probable. One has to do a little bit of both which is challenging but also provides rewards in the hitting department.
Wait, you've never tried to play the game without the ball and bat cursor? From reading your response, it appears that you didn't know the option to turn off the ball icon was possible. Maybe I'm mistaken and you did know.

# 17 Shadak @ 05/21/16 04:23 PM
Exactly, the contact area in PYS is much smaller so it takes time before most move up to hit totally without a cursor but its possible and the feeling is much more rewarding when you finally get used to it.

# 18 Will I Am @ 05/21/16 04:24 PM
Quote:
That's not entirely true though. In pys you can set the cursor to normal or real, with real as the ball approaches the plate, with a curve for instance, the cursor that appears in the K zone continues to break in the same direction as the pitch, it doesn't just sit there there stationary. This is the same with normal but to a lesser extent. Besides I don't hit by staring at the K zone I watch the pitcher and line up my hitting cursor with my peripheral vision.

# 19 Shadak @ 05/21/16 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
[b]....

Pro Yakyuu 2015 is currently my favorite game, one of my favorites of all time. It is fun, addictive and challenging.

I feel the same way, there is quite a few games I love, like the Dark/Demons Souls series or RPG's like BG/BG2 and others but if I had to pick a game I could play all the time it would be PYS (2015) despite the language barrier.

# 20 Will I Am @ 05/21/16 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Actually, turning off both the ball and bat cursors are very much possible, along without any on screen help indicators analogous to MLB the Show or MLB2k baseball. The option is under the batter's settings tab.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits is no joke. One may even push the envelop and go full blown hardcore by upping the pitch speed to real. Not advisable for beginners or even veterans. Questionable even for experts.

An MLB the Show gamer has not experienced a challenge until they've given Pro Yakyuu Spirits or Jikkyou a whirl. What the Show labels "Legend" pales in comparison to what these games offer at the highest level or even moderate level difficulty without bat/ball cursor. I can play "Legend" on the Show and still compete and win. Maximum difficulty (no cursor, real ball speed on any level) on Yakyuu Spirits and I'll celebrate if I make contact with the ball, whether it be a foul ball or a simple base hit.

The truth of the matter is people play with the bat and/or ball cursor is because it is extremely difficult without. The the ball/bat physics breathes simulation full on goodness. You must make physical contact with the small surface area of the bat on ball to have any hitting success. If the bat misses the ball even by 1 centimeter, it'll be a swing and miss. MLB the Show's batting mechanics with the plate coverage indicator (PCI) is much easier and much more forgiving. Ball contact with the PCI is not always necessary because it's partially ratings based along with user's input, which is why it's possible for people to play on Legend with a completely clean screen (no PCI).

I had the same initial reaction as you as well when watching youtube footage. Figured 'Yakyuu Spirits' was simply way too easy because of the hitting mechanics. Boy was I wrong. I am currently playing Pro Yakyuu Spirits on probably beginner/medium difficulty with both active ball and bat cursors, and have not won a single game. I am lucky if I score 1 to 2 runs in the game. But this is in fact one of the best sports games I have ever played. My PS3 is finally getting the love it deserves. When Jikkyou 2016 arrives at the end of the month, my PS4 will get equal treatment.

Let me try to recall how many games I've won up to this point:
(A1) Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 beginning/medium setting with bat/ball cursor turned ON: Zero games.
(A2) Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 highest difficult/real pitch speed/No Bat & No ball cursor: I wouldn't have a prayer.
(B) MLBtheShow 2016 Hall of Fame: current A's franchise: 25-14.

Wait, you've never tried to play the game without the ball and bat cursor? From reading your response, it appears that you didn't know the option to turn off the ball icon was possible. Maybe I'm mistaken and you did know.
Turning off the pitch cursor while hitting is just an exercise in futility, unless your using timing only where it is turned off automatically.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.