Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K16: Throwback Thursday Card Reviews (6/10/16)

Hey guys, it’s Robby from Two Brothers Gaming again here with some more NBA 2K16 My Team Throwback Thursday card reviews! Every week in NBA 2K16’s My Team mode, there are Throwback Thursday cards released with specific players’ highlight seasons. Each week here on Operation Sports, I’ll be highlighting these players and showing you stats, badges, individual attributes, and everything related to each player. If you pull one of these cards, you’ll know what to do with them! Don’t forget to watch the accompanying video review as well.

Let’s get into it:

2008 Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets—92 overall

The crown jewel of this week’s Throwback Thursday is Chris Paul. Much like some of the recent releases, I’d love to see this card get released months earlier, as the hype and interest surrounding it would be much higher. This is a card of a former 2K cover athlete and a long-awaited addition to My Team (as far as the Hornets version), but it’s hard to feel much excitement for the card when there are already better versions of it out. I’d pick up All-Star MVP Chris Paul over this one easily. The only advantage 2008 Chris Paul has in badges (30 to 24), but that can be adjusted for. There isn’t anything wrong with this card but the timing of its release. Paul is a capable playmaker and potential  NBA 2K16 My Team Budget Baller if his price drops.

2010 Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings—81 overall

The prime version of Tyreke Evans is replicating his averages of 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists per game as the onetime future of the Sacramento Kings, not the version we see today packed with potential but unable to stay healthy. Evans finds success when the ball is in his hands, and if you decided to be funky and play him at point guard, he may be viable…for fun. I don’t see much to be impressed about with the card besides the playmaking ability.

2012 Marcin Gortat, Phoenix Suns—80 overall

Slotted immediately into the bottom tier of Gold centers, Gortat’s card won’t find much use at this point in the season. Gortat has a nice badge set for a big man and solid rebounding numbers, but will be overshadowed by better budget Gold Centers. Take a pass.

LAST WEEK:

2005 Kevin Garnett, Minnesota Timberwolves—97 overall

This week’s Throwback Thursday Diamond is Kevin Garnett, and Prime KG will make a lot of players using him properly quite happy they picked him up. Known for his 20-point, 10-rebound, 5-assist nights carrying the Timberwolves, Garnett is a defensive force with a great mid-range jumper (90 Moving and 97 Standing Shot Mid) and 20 badges. This is, quite simply, one of the best Power Forwards in the game and one of the best 97 overall cards I can think of. Get the Big Ticket!

2003 Monta Ellis, Golden State Warriors--83 overall

Ellis’ card this year is underwhelming, in my opinion. In real life, he used his superior speed and athleticism to get buckets, but there are too many weaknesses to ignore here at this point in the My Team cycle. His defense is poor, and his midrange game isn’t that great either. He has a nice Driving Layup and Speed/Acceleration rating, but that’s really it. I’d avoid the card, as there are way better options.

2007 Ben Gordon, Chicago Bulls--82 overall

Last year this card was a Budget Baller (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyUdVbJ0a6QlOpUKJRvfVf_DFrXp5fmYe for Budget Ballers).  This year’s card is a prime example of attribute distribution. I believe this 82 overall card is better than the 83 overall Ellis card above. The simple reason is that Gordon has 84 or higher ratings in all of his Outside Scoring categories,  making him a perfect sixth man to minimize his horrendous defense. Gordon is usable, but the problem is that you’ll have to spend MT on badges to make him viable, as he has none. Hard pass from me, but still more useful than Ellis.

2008 Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks--82 overall

Smith was a versatile nightmare (and I mean that in both a good and bad way) during his prime with Atlanta. I like his defensive abilities and athleticism at the power forward position, but don’t see a lot of full-time use for him at this point in the year. If he isn’t dunking, he shouldn’t be shooting.

That’s it for this week. If you’d like to see the players in-game, be on the lookout for more videos, and if you have any questions I can be reached on Twitter @twobrosgaming.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.