Home
Feature Article
The Return of Formation Subs in Madden NFL 17

Madden NFL 17 Associate Game Designer, Ryan "RG" Glick and the Madden team have sent us this exclusive blog covering the return of formation subs. Make sure to read it and post your thoughts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madden has had its fair share of features come and go over its 27 year history.  One beloved Madden & NCAA feature that sadly was lost in the Gen 4 console transition was the ability to save formation specific substitution packages.  Now in Madden NFL 17 it gives me great joy to announce the return of formation substitutions within franchise mode. 

Before explaining how formation subs will work in Madden NFL 17, I want to say THANK You to our community because you truly were the ones who really drove this feature into Madden NFL 17.  

Now for a little back story about formation subs. It was originally a feature that was “out of scope” for Madden NFL 17 (meaning it was not scheduled to make it into the game).  That was until myself and the Madden NFL development team started to take note of all the support the feature was getting from the community.  All of your  and the GameChangers tweets, forum posts, wish lists, and feedback helped the team here at Tiburon know that this was a must have feature if we were serious about making significant changes to improving Franchise mode.  This was the type of feedback that made doing whatever work necessary to get this feature into Madden NFL 17.  

We are excited because the addition of formation subs is an example of our passionate community’s coming together to get a feature into the game.  So to all of you vocal Madden fans out there, please keep up the good work and continue to deliver feedback as you can make tremendous impact on the game.  

Now let’s talk about how the feature actually works. For those that are not familiar with formation subs, a quick high-level definition is that players now have the ability to set & save starters in specific positions based on formation regardless of how the players are sorted in the depth chart.  

Once in Franchise mode, the mechanic works as such:  

• From the Franchise mode Hub scroll to the Manage Tab and select the My Coach menu.
  • From the My Coach menu Select Formation Subs  
  • The playbooks that load within the formation subs menu are the playbooks that you have set within the schemes section of the My Coach menu.  

• Once in the Formation Subs menu toggle between offense and defense by simply pressing LB or RB (L1 or R1 on PS4).
  • Selected to edit offense or defense and then simply scroll through the different formations by navigating the L-stick while holding down LT (L2 on PS2).  Scroll over a formation you want to edit and let go of LT and the formation will populate. Then let go of LT they can use the L-stick to scroll through the different sets within the formation they selected.   

• Next scroll to and highlight the set you want to edit they press the A button (X on PS2) which then allows you to scroll through the players within the selected set.  Then select the player you want to change by pressing the A button (X on PS2) after you've scrolled over and highlighted the player.  
  • From here scroll through the roster of players to choose your replacement.  Pressing the A button (X on PS2) on the selected replacement player subs him in for that formation.   

• You can also reset a sub made to any given formation by selecting the formation you want to reset by pressing the RT button (R2 on PS4).  
  • When you are done making formation subs simply press B (O on PS4) to back out the formation subs menu and enter game to view your changes.  

Some additional things to keep in mind when using the feature are:

• Formation subs carry from game to game unless you switch your playbook or resets the formation sub.  
  • You can still make formation subs when in game by using our legacy playcall screen formation sub feature.  This is done by picking plays by formation when at the play call screen by pressing RB when highlighting the formation you want to edit.  

The list of eligible players who can be subbed in at each position from the formation sub menu is:

• QB = QB, K, P
  • HB = HB, FB
  • FB = FB, HB, TE
  • WR = WR, TE, HB
  • TE = TE, FB, LT, RT, MLB
  • LT = LT, LG, C, RG, RT
  • LG = LG, LT, C, RG, RT
  • C = C, LG, LT, RG, RT
  • RG = RG, RT, C, LG, LT
  • RT = RT, RG, C, LG, LT
  • LE - LE, RE, DT, ROLB, LOLB
  • RE = RE, LE, DT, ROLB, LOLB
  • DT = DT, LE, RE
  • LOLB = LOLB, ROLB, MLB, RE, LE
  • ROLB = ROLB, LOLB, MLB, RE, LE
  • MLB = MLB, ROLB, LOLB
  • CB = CB, FS, SS
  • FS = FS, SS, CB
  • SS = SS, FS, CB
  • K = K, P
  • P = P, K

Again, Thank You to the entire Madden Community for your constructive feedback year in and year out.  We look forward to watching you all continue to use your passion to make Madden the best it possibly can be.

Sincerely,

Ryan (RG) Glick 

Associate Game Designer

Member Comments
# 61 greenfuzz @ 08/09/16 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeyango
Why are kickers and punters going in at QB? I wish they'd change it to anyone on the roster with a decent minimum thp/tha
I think kickers/punters at quarterback will be used for holding kicks.

# 62 charter04 @ 08/09/16 09:52 PM
I know some wish this was less restrictive but, as soon as it was announced I wondered how the commish of my online CFM would handle the cause an unlimited formation subs may cause in our league. I understand that an off line CFM shouldn't suffer because of that.

It in. That's the good part. If they can add a feature this last minute then they can adjust it if they want.

# 63 jpdavis82 @ 08/09/16 09:58 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 64 TarHeelPhenom @ 08/09/16 10:39 PM
Im an old head with an old school mentality; so these formation personnel restrictions dont bother me none.

# 65 Mauer4MVP @ 08/09/16 10:57 PM
People complaining , like myself, have very right. Am I glad it's in? Yes. But it's an incomplete feature that was inexcusably removed. If you're going to add a feature back in it shouldn't be so restrictive.

That's not a tough crowd. That's a hungry crowd with realistic expectations.

# 66 moose1619 @ 08/09/16 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82

This is frustrating. This was what I was most excited for.

# 67 khaliib @ 08/09/16 11:04 PM
My main issue was gameplay.
The BSH of def players on kickoff was/is always much higher than LB's BLK ratings on KR causing them to be swimmed or block broken with ease.

Don't know why def players were chosen on the return team when a good 99% of blockers on the return are from the offensive side (for there blocking abilities of course).

Good thing is that the positions never change (i.e. 3rd MLB, 2nd ROLB etc), so there's still the ability to tweak ratings to clean the KO/KR phase up if we're not satisfied.
Just requires some elbow grease.

# 68 charter04 @ 08/09/16 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
People complaining , like myself, have very right. Am I glad it's in? Yes. But it's an incomplete feature that was inexcusably removed. If you're going to add a feature back in it shouldn't be so restrictive.

So what should they have done in your opinion? Not bring it back until it's exactly like some want? So someone like me would have to do without? I can do a lot of sim things with this feature as it is.

Seems like it will be easier to make changes to it during the cycle now that it's in rather than to keep waiting for it.

# 69 Mauer4MVP @ 08/09/16 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
So what should they have done in your opinion? Not bring it back until it's exactly like some want? So someone like me would have to do without? I can do a lot of sim things with this feature as it is.

Seems like it will be easier to make changes to it during the cycle now that it's in rather than to keep waiting for it.
Never have taken it out, implemented it sooner, not half-blanked it.

I mean yes I'd rather have what they are giving over nothing. But that should not satisfy people or be the bar. Half done features/additions only add the the list of issues in a sports title.

# 70 CM Hooe @ 08/09/16 11:21 PM
Quote:
Never have taken it out, implemented it sooner
These are not options Tiburon has in the here and now, and expecting them to retroactively fix the past is silly.

Quote:
not half-blanked it.

I mean yes I'd rather have what they are giving over nothing. But that should not satisfy people or be the bar. Half done features/additions only add the the list of issues in a sports title.
They didn't "half-blank" anything.

The players available to substitute are 1:1 consistent with both the Franchise depth chart and in-game formation substitutions. What you, me, and the rest of OS wants is apparently additional functionality, or at the very least a change request.

Tiburon chose to prioritize making available the logic that exists in-game in a new out-of-game screen - and doing the entire sim community a solid in the process - as opposed to putting it off one more year.

# 71 zacification1 @ 08/09/16 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotreDomer10
No WR at RB even though several teams do it in real life every game? makes sense....
Just position swap Cordaralle or Tavon to HB, if that's what you're planning on, lol. They can still play WR,

# 72 charter04 @ 08/09/16 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
These are not options Tiburon has in the here and now, and expecting them to retroactively fix the past is silly.

The players available to substitute are 1:1 consistent with both the Franchise depth chart and in-game formation substitutions. What you, me, and the rest of OS wants is apparently additional functionality, or at the very least a change request.

Tiburon chose to prioritize making available the logic that exists in-game in a new out-of-game screen - and doing the entire sim community a solid in the process - as opposed to putting it off one more year.

Exactly. The should have never taken it out crowd helps nothing.

And totally agree that this wasn't half baked. Guys can disagree but, they restricted it on purpose to prevent potential exploits.

# 73 Mauer4MVP @ 08/09/16 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Exactly. The should have never taken it out crowd helps nothing.

And totally agree that this wasn't half baked. Guys can disagree but, they restricted it on purpose to prevent potential exploits.
No one said it helps. Doesn't make it any less true.

And I still don't see this exploits argument. It's only available in CFM, so it's up to the user to exploit it in their franchise. Even in online franchises, I assume everyone has house rules. You could just say certain things aren't allowed.

# 74 TheBleedingRed21 @ 08/09/16 11:33 PM
Some will never be satisfied, which doesn't hurt anything as EA will listen as long as it's constructive.

The problem is becoming the constant whining of "they should've never taken it out", that's easy to say when you don't understand how games are made and how coding works.

And then there is those who are selfish and would want us to wait for the feature to be full fledged out instead of the dev team redirecting resources to get the community a feature that is highly requested. It's just unbelievable to me.

# 75 Mauer4MVP @ 08/09/16 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

If the system doesn't allow a very common formation sub then it's not fully done.

Also, I think them adding this in hardly should be considered a "solid". Sure they didn't have to add it in this year, but they really didn't have to add anything in.

Look I'm getting the game regardless and will enjoy it, but the implementation is pretty disappointing.

# 76 bigd51 @ 08/09/16 11:45 PM
Quote:

And just because you have the right to complain, it doesn't mean your complaint is always right.

Realistically, it's the kind of restrictions that have to be put in the game until CPU's become sentient and do not have to abide by an indisputable "law" set forth by programmers.

Realistically, it's the type of restriction that has to be there because it was (obviously) added very late in the development/production cycle, and they're trying to cut-back on as many exploits (that gamers would surely find) as possible. Which essentially makes this addition a beta run on a live platform that will give them loads of data and opinions to improve for '18 and beyond... meaning, you may not have to wait a full, first-world country year to get the perfect product you deserve. Better a year early than a yearly later...

You treat it as a "must have now" type of implement, where as the others see it for what it is, and that's a better future for the game and it's direction, regardless of how well/not so well the game is at the current state. Whether it's complete or incomplete doesn't matter. The fact is, formation subs are back. Period. That's a huge win for a lot of NFL gamers in itself.

Just be happy for once the team is finally hearing "us".

# 77 CM Hooe @ 08/10/16 12:16 AM
Quote:
I think them adding this in hardly should be considered a "solid".
If the act of Tiburon adding in any capacity one of the most-frequently and most vocally requested features by the Madden community over the past decade to the game in a pre-release title update - an update which will reach us the hardcore fans of Madden time for the launch of a new game - is not the very definition of fan service, then the concept of fan service simply does not exist. I don't know what your expectations are, but very demonstrably they are unreasonable.

The options here with respect to Madden NFL 17 at launch are very clearly one of two things: what we now have, or nothing. Which would you rather have?

Can we not be happy for even a moment that Tiburon is very demonstrably listening to the wishes of its hardcore audience and has gone above and beyond the call of duty to get us something we all want in the game by launch without moving the goalposts and finding yet another reason to berate them?

# 78 SolidSquid @ 08/10/16 01:00 AM
Auto subs can't be used in online franchise? Bummer I always do my solo franchises online bc of the faster sim speed from week to week

# 79 BleedGreen710 @ 08/10/16 01:27 AM
anyone just checking in who wants to know why some people are disappointed:

- there is restriction to which positions can be subbed where
- cannot put JJ Watt at tight end, cannot put WR at HB, SS at OLB, etc
- no formation subs for kickoff formations

anything I missed?

# 80 CM Hooe @ 08/10/16 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Auto subs can't be used in online franchise? Bummer I always do my solo franchises online bc of the faster sim speed from week to week
You can absolutely use auto-subs in online franchise. In fact that was specifically fixed this year so that they worked.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.